Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
owlymane

26 Aug 2019

Mr. Watts wrote:
26 Aug 2019

The people who use Reason as their main daw have not been the point of interest for the last couple of updates, or so it seems anyway.
I feel the exact same. It's the first time EVER that they mention other DAWs in their official new release video. It's as if they're aware of their flaws and push us to go and use other DAWs.

diminished
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

dezma wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I'm a little underwhelmed.

No vst midi out nor vst midi plugin support?
No autosave
No sequencer folders
No updated browser/indexed samples

Suite having to pay full price is a middle finger to those including myself having paid several 100's for 4 or more instruments in the bundle, it's disrespectful to loyal customers.
It's always the same. NEVER buy PH stuff until 2 years later, if you can live without it until then.
The biggest joke is that PX7 isn't included in the suite.. not that I care, because I bought it when it was released.
Ah no wait, the biggest joke is that RDK, Processed Pianos and all the Players released only this year are included!
Hold up, I'm sorry, the biggest joke is still the Rewards page in the light of a Reason 11 SUITE.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

EdGrip

26 Aug 2019

owlymane wrote:
26 Aug 2019

And regarding the zoom functionality, only vertical zoom has been improved? So the vertical zoom is expandable. Any improvements in the horizontal/usual zoom itself?
I'm very used to using the keyboard modifiers with the scroll wheel to bop and zoom around the sequencer timeline very swiftly - definitely get them in your muscle memory if you haven't done so. I'm glad to see individual track zoom.

Sure there's loads more to do on the "little things" workflow list (and I hope they'll continue to chip away at it), but I think this is a great move from the artists formerly known as Propellerhead.
Reason as a plugin is good news for the RE devs - this might be a new lease of life for the format. And it makes me even more keen to get a version of Ableton. ;)

If we're using the Rack in another software, can we cross-modulate across channels?
Can I use a single CV signal to modulate, say, a filter cutoff in one instrument, and LFO rate in another instrument, if those two instruments are being controlled by different instrument lanes in - say - Studio One?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
26 Aug 2019

It's always the same. NEVER buy PH stuff until 2 years later, if you can live without it until then.
The biggest joke is that PX7 isn't included in the suite.. not that I care, because I bought it when it was released.
Ah no wait, the biggest joke is that RDK, Processed Pianos and all the Players released only this year are included!
Hold up, I'm sorry, the biggest joke is still the Rewards page in the light of a Reason 11 SUITE.
Yep.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

owlymane

26 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
26 Aug 2019
dezma wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I'm a little underwhelmed.

No vst midi out nor vst midi plugin support?
No autosave
No sequencer folders
No updated browser/indexed samples

Suite having to pay full price is a middle finger to those including myself having paid several 100's for 4 or more instruments in the bundle, it's disrespectful to loyal customers.
Ugh...it's like bro I really feel like shit coming here and always nagging about "I need this/ I need that", because I am aware of Props (well...Reason Studio or whatev) efforts, had work and care for us. I can only respect and support the company. They're nice people! So I currently hate myself for this message. But, truth be told, I won't be upgrading to this one. I LOVE the effort for adding several notes like I suggested in one of my feature requests, but the implementation feels like a last minute decision because it's really shallow to choose between add 1 note/add multiple notes, that's not really a choice someone should make, the sequencer simply needs to upgrade its editing tools.

I'm sorry for the mostly nagging message (as usual) but again, I'm finding hard to resonate with this upgrade without having the feeling of "it feels incomplete".

Just like what diminished said. I'll be waiting for 12.

Steedus
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

Yeah it is what it is .. but the fact is, it looks like the main big feature of this update is the rack as a VST, which as a Reason user, doesn't really have that much relevance for me. Don't get me wrong, it's cool as heck and quite an achievement even. But I don't know .. sure I've been waiting for crossfades, and curved automation since 2010 but I don't think that's a big enough feature to swing me over to upgrading if the main feature isn't something I'd generally use. The addition of the 2 mod effects look great though so we'll see.

At the end of the day, a big congrats. I'm just happy to see Reason still being updated and improved upon. I guess you can't please everyone.

Creativemind

26 Aug 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I'm extremely happy and proud to announce Reason 11! It's quite a doozy, so check out the double videos and the website:

Here' the what's new page for additional info: https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/new
There's a lot I could personally say too, so here's a link to my blog post on Reason 11 where I do just that: https://www.propellerheads.com/blog/ann ... ct-manager

Hope you like it! :)
Looks fantastic and thanks for the update but not to sound ungrateful but there doesn't seem a lot of workflow improvements in the scheme of things. Hoping there's more? I spotted curved automation, auto-crossfading of audio and muting midi notes at first watch. Oh sorry and that thing where you can make a quick snare roll duplicating note thing in the midi editor.

And it said in the video, "mute individual midi notes". So you can't say, highlight a whole bar bass line in the midi editor and bam, mute the whole bass line in one fell swoop? 'cause clicking the individual notes will be very time consuming, or can we at least drag the mute tool along and it mutes as it goes would be great.
Last edited by Creativemind on 26 Aug 2019, edited 2 times in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

estuary

26 Aug 2019

Click link, page open,
"What's new in Reason 11"
Picture of ableton live with reason rack
Start reading,
".. Your favorite Reason instruments can now be used in your favorite DAW .."
:?
scroll, scroll, scroll

:(

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

@Mattias, the FAQ doesn't mention authorization by key, only via internet or computer verification. Can you confirm whether the USB key still works?

And well done!

I always knew this was coming.

Yonatan

26 Aug 2019

Ok, just read AU plugin coming later.
Last edited by Yonatan on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

diminished
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

owlymane wrote:
26 Aug 2019
diminished wrote:
26 Aug 2019

Ugh...it's like bro I really feel like shit coming here and always nagging about "I need this/ I need that", because I am aware of Props (well...Reason Studio or whatev) efforts, had work and care for us. I can only respect and support the company. They're nice people! So I currently hate myself for this message. But, truth be told, I won't be upgrading to this one. I LOVE the effort for adding several notes like I suggested in one of my feature requests, but the implementation feels like a last minute decision because it's really shallow to choose between add 1 note/add multiple notes, that's not really a choice someone should make, the sequencer simply needs to upgrade its editing tools.

I'm sorry for the mostly nagging message (as usual) but again, I'm finding hard to resonate with this upgrade without having the feeling of "it feels incomplete".

Don't feel bad about voicing your needs and wishes and complaints, ever.
Especially if they don't care.
It's not like we're bashing an individual or someone who's self-employed. It's a company we've given money to and we're nice enough to explain to them why they won't see another dime in the next couple of years.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

tiker01

26 Aug 2019

Creativemind wrote:
26 Aug 2019
MattiasHG wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I'm extremely happy and proud to announce Reason 11! It's quite a doozy, so check out the double videos and the website:

Here' the what's new page for additional info: https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/new
There's a lot I could personally say too, so here's a link to my blog post on Reason 11 where I do just that: https://www.propellerheads.com/blog/ann ... ct-manager

Looks fantastic and thanks for the update but not to sound ungrateful but there doesn't seem a lot of workflow improvements in the scheme of things. Hoping there's more? I spotted curved automation, auto-crossfading of audio and muting midi notes at first watch. Oh sorry and that thing where you can make a quick snare roll duplicating note thing in the midi editor.

And it said in the video, "mute individual midi notes". So you can't say, highlight a whole bar bass line in the midi editor and bam, mute the whole bass line in one fell swoop? 'cause clicking the individual notes will be very time consuming, or can we at least drag the mute tool along and it mutes as it goes would be great.
I think there is the M shortcut to mute items which I guess will work in this case too.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

diminished
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

I am thankful, however, that with this update, we are now free to leave the ship while taking all our belongings with us.

EdGrip

26 Aug 2019

Yeah, intelligent autosave/versioning. Sequencer (and mixer) folders to tidy the place up. Both good shouts. Again, I hope some of these kind of things will make it through in point updates.

Reason As A Plugin puts more pressure on the graphics and resolution of the Rack, which now has to share a screen with fully vectorised software UIs.

Reason As A Plugin is big, though! Like FL Studio but better.

EdGrip

26 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I am thankful, however, that with this update, we are now free to leave the ship while taking all our belongings with us.
Yeah, that's good news too - much less need for people to harp on about all the money they spent on REs now. eXpanse in Bitwig 4eva!

tiker01

26 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
26 Aug 2019
owlymane wrote:
26 Aug 2019

It's not like we're bashing an individual or someone who's self-employed. It's a company we've given money to and we're nice enough to explain to them why they won't see another dime in the next couple of years.
I thought that people have learned that since the auto update has been introduced the release of a Reason X.0 is not the final version they pay the upgrade price for. Also I think people should try the new version before being so vocal about it. I remember when 10 came out so many people was disappointed but I think Reason 10 is quite a good package with all the updates it received.

And yes I am all for Folders in the sequencer and track freeze etc... but I think the sequencer has evolved quite a lot in the last 3 versions. Perhaps PH should have retain multi lane MIDI editing to version 11 :puf_bigsmile:

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

KrazyKat

26 Aug 2019

I have been drifting and using other music apps in the last few years. With the introduction of players my need to continue creating in Reason was affirmed.
Don't get me wrong, the idea of using a Reason-rack in Logic Pro is so, so awesome but now there is not much of a need to be inside Reason at all.

Seems strange. But what do I know

Molotovbeatz

26 Aug 2019

It's a shame, still no real time key highlights on the sequencer when you are playing the notes on your keyboards/midi controllers.

KrazyKat

26 Aug 2019

Screenshot 2019-08-26 at 12.15.00.png
Screenshot 2019-08-26 at 12.15.00.png (86.57 KiB) Viewed 7459 times
Name Change from Propellerhead to Reason Studios?

scratchnsnifff

26 Aug 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
26 Aug 2019

Omfg I can’t believe my eyes this morning

I love this idea, because Iv been using ableton and miss my Re collection. I like rewire, but I notice my CPU goes crazy. Is this new way a more optimized way of using Reason in other daws?

Also, will there be anything for the reason only users? As groundbreaking as this is for those of us with two DAWS, I feel like most Reason users are just Reason users lol
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

boingy

26 Aug 2019

It's OK. Propellerheads are going to soak up all the hate then leave it all behind by morphing into Reason Studios!

diminished
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

tiker01 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I thought that people have learned that since the auto update has been introduced the release of a Reason X.0 is not the final version they pay the upgrade price for. Also I think people should try the new version before being so vocal about it. I remember when 10 came out so many people was disappointed but I think Reason 10 is quite a good package with all the updates it received.

And yes I am all for Folders in the sequencer and track freeze etc... but I think the sequencer has evolved quite a lot in the last 3 versions. Perhaps PH should have retain multi lane MIDI editing to version 11 :puf_bigsmile:
I wasn't one of those people, but thanks for comparing my thoughts and feelings about this update to an unrelated event in the past! I wouldn't have connected the dots if it wasn't for your comment.

I'm really glad the sequencer is working great for you compared to ONLY three major versions ago, I really am!

owlymane

26 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
26 Aug 2019

I agree...you are right.
diminished wrote:
26 Aug 2019
True! And at this point I'm seeing my options because I desperately need a sequencer workflow refresh.
tiker01 wrote:
26 Aug 2019

Also I think people should try the new version before being so vocal about it.
But what is there to try if no functionality interests me and my needs cannot be fulfilled with the new addons? My most requested features are sequencer improvement and a better browser, and an new sampler!!

Faastwalker

26 Aug 2019

Nice. Makes sense to make it work in other DAW's in order to potentially open up Reason to other DAW users. Some nice workflow improvements & some interesting looking new devices.

I still would love to see an Acid Pro so audio beatmapper tool in Reason. I think Ableton Live has similar abilities. It's been in Acid for well over a decade. Really handy tool;

Creativemind

26 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Welp, that's one way to avoid improvements on the sequencer and audio editing capabilities. Crossfades and note mutes. Come ON.
You've given up on the DAW side of things, haven't you.

Nice move in regards to extending your customer base, terrible announcement for those who use Reason and Reason alone.

I'm sure somebody will say everything I've said in a much better way later on... but this update is diametrically opposed to everything I've hoped for.
I did kind of think that myself. I'm very stoked looking at what they've done but once the initial hype and excitement of everything has died down (the dust settles) there's only about 4 or 5 workflow improvements (just going off the video) and not to sound harsh, I bet they're limited. The muting notes looks like individual notes only, not say if I have a piano sequence playing a chord sequence over 4 bars in a clip and I did a bass line under it in the same clip an octave or 2 below, and I wanted to hear what the chord / bass line sounded like without the bass line (then with, so like a-b'ing the 2), I would have to click all the notes, which could be a fair few notes and would mean I couldn't do what I just suggested above, cause it needs to be all of the notes at once.

Let's see how the curved automation and auto-crossfading of audio is implemented too.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

• Information