Plugins delay compensation not works if use VST fx thru mixer's sends ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ab459

25 Aug 2019

Hi folks, i found that, and it's normal ? I mean, it's known\intended behavior ?? :|

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2019

It's normal, clearly documented in the manual.

EdGrip

25 Aug 2019

Sends best used for delay-based effects.
You can send a few channels to a bus, and then make a parallel channel of that bus for FX only and they will be properly compensated.

ab459

25 Aug 2019

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
25 Aug 2019
It's normal, clearly documented in the manual.
Hmm, ok, frankly i did not read yet, need will check.
EdGrip wrote:
25 Aug 2019
Yes, exactly why i asked.
EdGrip wrote:
25 Aug 2019
You can send a few channels to a bus, and then make a parallel channel of that bus for FX only and they will be properly compensated.
Ok thanks for info, will try.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2019

ab459 wrote:
25 Aug 2019
EdGrip wrote:
25 Aug 2019
I think you missed the point here that EdGrip was making, why worry about a chain that has a Delay (Reverb etc) in it with D.C. there really is no point.

botnotbot

25 Aug 2019

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
25 Aug 2019
ab459 wrote:
25 Aug 2019

I think you missed the point here that EdGrip was making, why worry about a chain that has a Delay (Reverb etc) in it with D.C. there really is no point.
Can you clarify this? Why should you not care about delay compensation when using a delay (which are heavily dependent on timing, ie you want a 23ms delay to be a 23ms delay, not out of sync with all the properly compensated chains)?

EdGrip

25 Aug 2019

I have trouble imagining why you'd want *precisely* 23ms on multiple channels, mixed in to the original signals, as a send effect.

I expect there's a boring mechanical reason that you can't deploy PDC on send effects that are getting signals from multiple mix channels - I don't have the mind of Selig so I don't know why without looking it up.
You'd have to "pull" *every* track that's feeding into that send, but some but not all of those tracks will be feeding into different combinations of send effects - each with its own amount of sample delay. Etc etc.

ab459

25 Aug 2019

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
25 Aug 2019
ab459 wrote:
25 Aug 2019

Hm..I wanted to answer for this just like @botnotbot:
botnotbot wrote:
25 Aug 2019
Why should you not care about delay compensation when using a delay (which are heavily dependent on timing, ie you want a 23ms delay to be a 23ms delay, not out of sync with all the properly compensated chains)?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

Phasing and Comb filtering are just a couple of reasons for having D.C.

So you want to use D.C. to pull the signal in sync then use something like a Delay or Reverb that can push it back out of sync. What is the point of doing that?

EdGrip gave the technical reason to why D.C. is a nightmare to manage when using Sends.

• Information