Behringer RD-8 TR-808 Clone [Pre-Order OPEN]

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
O1B

14 Aug 2019

USD $350 / EUR €299

The listing confirms the following features:
64-step sequencer with poly meter, step repeat, note repeat, real-time triggering, track mute and track solo
Wave Designer
Dual Mode Filter
Store up to 16 songs and 256 patterns
Auto-scroll function
LED display1 line output: 6.3 mm jack
16 individual line outputs (voices): 6.3 mm jack
3 trigger outputs: 6.3 mm jack
Main Return: 6.3 mm jack
Headphone output: 6.3 mm jack
Clock input and output: 3.5 mm mini jack
USB
MIDI In / Out / Thru

O1B

14 Aug 2019

boingy

15 Aug 2019

I kinda don't see the point. You are better off using one of the zillion software 808 clones and spending the money on one or two of the new micro synths like the Volca or similar.

future-bit

15 Aug 2019

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

O1B

15 Aug 2019

Awesome commentary.

You're probably Right!
There's a lotta Volca lovers here to. They share your opinion on all things over $9.99!

You don't need this. Good luck with your Gear!

I'm Pre-Ordered!
boingy wrote:
15 Aug 2019
I kinda don't see the point. You are better off using one of the zillion software 808 clones and spending the money on one or two of the new micro synths like the Volca or similar.
future-bit wrote:
15 Aug 2019
I already have Redrum and Rebirth 338.

Why do I need this? Yes, these devices are interesting, but I rarely use my Roland R8 and Yamaha RX21.

O1B

15 Aug 2019

Analogue drum love in: Behringer RD-8 layered with a Vermona DRM1

Resonator

16 Aug 2019

I just preordered the Odyssey and I bought a TR-8S in February. But I still wanna check it out and put it through it’s paces. If it sounds better than Roland’s ACB modeling of the 808, I might have to buy it at some point.

Philup

21 Aug 2019

Patiently waiting for the Pro One.
May snatch up the Crave it it hits the shelf first.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 Aug 2019

Will soon be on Ebay second hand when kids realize "it ain't the shit".

Just like the Behringer "Minimoog". Store patches - how? It is out of tune - why? Automate the knobs - what?
There was a reason people moved on back in the days. Would someone buy a replica for nostalgia? I do not see the point either...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

O1B

22 Aug 2019

I do have the TR-8S. Awesome. But, it's so much more.

I just want a dedicated 808 box. $350 seems worth a shot.
Resonator wrote:
16 Aug 2019
I just preordered the Odyssey and I bought a TR-8S in February. But I still wanna check it out and put it through it’s paces. If it sounds better than Roland’s ACB modeling of the 808, I might have to buy it at some point.
eBay? Maybe you're right?
I still love my Behringer D. Tuning is not a problem. And, automation... not my problem. was it yours?

Or, is all this 2nd hand "Talk?" Did you ever own one or are you the mad synth guy?
I'm not suprised that you don't SEE the point. Your anger and frustration may be blinding you.

Godspeed choosing your weapons, though.
Boombastix wrote:
21 Aug 2019

Just like the Behringer "Minimoog". Store patches - how? It is out of tune - why? Automate the knobs - what?
There was a reason people moved on back in the days. Would someone buy a replica for nostalgia? I do not see the point either...

Resonator

22 Aug 2019

O1B wrote:
22 Aug 2019
I do have the TR-8S. Awesome. But, it's so much more.

I just want a dedicated 808 box. $350 seems worth a shot.
Resonator wrote:
16 Aug 2019
eBay? Maybe you're right?
I still love my Behringer D. Tuning is not a problem. And, automation... not my problem. was it yours?

Or, is all this 2nd hand "Talk?" Did you ever own one or are you the mad synth guy?
I'm not suprised that you don't SEE the point. Your anger and frustration may be blinding you.

Godspeed choosing your weapons, though.
Boombastix wrote:
21 Aug 2019

Having a dedicated 808 for $350 is definitely my reason for wanting it too.
I also have a Model D and have no issues. Some people would just rather hate it for being a Behringer or for not having certain features that were never on the original to begin with. But that’s all meaningless to me when all the analog goodness of a Minimoog is packed inside a Eurorack case for $300.

Resonator

22 Aug 2019

Philup wrote:
21 Aug 2019
Patiently waiting for the Pro One.
May snatch up the Crave it it hits the shelf first.
Yeah I was hoping they would’ve went in production at the end of last year like they said. So it’s been a long wait. Still no news from them about it other than a brief appearance at NAMM. Hopefully by the end of this year we’ll at least get some news if anything. They probably needed to do some hardware or firmware revisions like they did with the Odyssey. The Crave seems cool for $200. I’m surprised that hasn’t gone into production yet either. But I’m still surprised that the Odyssey is hitting the market before both of them. I wasn’t about to pass that up.

O1B

22 Aug 2019

Resonator wrote:
22 Aug 2019
all the analog goodness of a Minimoog is packed inside a Eurorack case for $300.

reggie1979

22 Aug 2019

I've never had good luck with Behringer. Hopefully this will be the bees knees for you :)

O1B

23 Aug 2019

MY only Behringer FAIL: Sounds Horrible, imo.

I've had Great luck with the UFX 1204: Multi-Track Recorder - within the DAW. Not many mixers can do that.
$399. When I knew NOTHING about mixers or multi-track DAWing.
... otherwise...

The Model D sounds YUGE. And, It's mostly a Drone/Tone Tester, so I have no issues with Fast ARPing and the like.

Coming soon:
RD-808
Crave/

And, Bee's Knees....?! ..no, no.... that won't do. I'm after the Cat's Pajamas!
reggie1979 wrote:
22 Aug 2019
I've never had good luck with Behringer. Hopefully this will be the bees knees for you :)

reggie1979

23 Aug 2019

haha!

Boombastix
Competition Winner

23 Aug 2019

O1B wrote:
22 Aug 2019
I have about $60k of hw including a bunch of analog synths (Korgs, Rolands, a BIT...). The modern VSTs are way more convenient. For a Model D sound just get "The Legend", all stored with your song, presets, tweaks, automation, no external pre-midi sync and so on...
Another example I have an UREI optical compressor, but I use my VST, because it is great and everything saved in the song, I can use multiple instances, and so on...

Get a HW for knobs and tweakability and inspiration if you want - I recommend it. But thinking it will get you "the sound" is just plain wrong. I can use my Maschine Studio, Korg MS-20 (original, not mini), or my Nord 1, or a Roland analog for playing with knobs. But The Legend or Diva does a perfect for creating a GOOD analog type sound.

MarkTarlton

23 Aug 2019

Boombastix wrote:
23 Aug 2019
I have an UREI optical compressor, but I use my VST, because it is great and everything saved in the song, I can use multiple instances, and so on...
you have an original teletronix la-2a? I would definitely be putting the hardware to use in the tracking stage at the very minimum, printing the tone to the DAW, just don't go overboard. There is only 2 knobs, so I would mix with that too :)

O1B

23 Aug 2019

$60k worth of Classic Old Dinosaurs. Nice. But, I'm little impressed with HOW MUCH than with HOW we USE it.

... Like was stated here on RTalk... or was it PHead's forum....?
"it'll be a 16 year old with an iPad that'll make the next hit record,'
- so, I wouldn't brag too hard about the Dollar Amount, BoomBastix.
But, God has been Good to You. Indeed.

Who's you're Straw Man that said " thinking it will get you "the sound""...? It wasn't me.
The conversation would be much more productive without such Red Herrings, Boombastix - including your presumption on "why" I want an RD-808.

But, since you're interested enough to comment, I'll explain:

I want the TR-808 KICK. That's all. OUT of the BOX. Everything else is Gravy.
If it doesn't work - a REAL 808. But, maybe I can save $3500-7500.

Get it, Bb? No Thanks on the VST collection you have. I have most if not all of it..... but, you never bothered to Ask.
There is no Piece of Software that sounds like the TR-808 Kick. Period. If you know of one post it. please.
Not "convenient". Not "all stored with your song..." Not "multiple instances".

And, for God's Sakes, Not an "analog type sound." ANALOG. ...
If you like "analog-type sounds", then Great. I don't want to 'kinda make music.'

Godspeed with your Sound, Boombastix.

I Believe.

Boombastix wrote:
23 Aug 2019

I have about $60k of hw including a bunch of analog synths (Korgs, Rolands, a BIT...). The modern VSTs are way more convenient. For a Model D sound just get "The Legend", all stored with your song, presets, tweaks, automation, no external pre-midi sync and so on...
Another example I have an UREI optical compressor, but I use my VST, because it is great and everything saved in the song, I can use multiple instances, and so on...

Get a HW for knobs and tweakability and inspiration if you want - I recommend it. But thinking it will get you "the sound" is just plain wrong. I can use my Maschine Studio, Korg MS-20 (original, not mini), or my Nord 1, or a Roland analog for playing with knobs. But The Legend or Diva does a perfect for creating a GOOD analog type sound.

O1B

24 Aug 2019

SPECS: That caught my eye...

* Comprehensive MIDI In/Out/Thru and USB implementation for synchronization and connection to external devices
Let's hope.
Clock input and output: 3.5 mm mini jack, or USB, or MIDI In / Out / Thru
OTB Song, Pattern, and Live MODE w "Storage of up to 16 songs and 256 patterns"
Brute-esque... "Poly-meter, step-repeat, note-repeat, real-time triggering, track-mute and track-solo"

Quick Start Guide:
https://media63.music-group.com/media/P ... QSG_WW.pdf
KICK has TUNE and TONE.
MUTE and SOLO button spotted!

I don't see a Full Manual yet. MIDI numbers n such...

Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
23 Aug 2019
Boombastix wrote:
23 Aug 2019
I have an UREI optical compressor, but I use my VST, because it is great and everything saved in the song, I can use multiple instances, and so on...
you have an original teletronix la-2a? I would definitely be putting the hardware to use in the tracking stage at the very minimum, printing the tone to the DAW, just don't go overboard. There is only 2 knobs, so I would mix with that too :)
It's my vocal tracking chain. Nueman-Focusrite (pre-amp)-Urei, then into digital.

You get a lot of HW over the years if you had a recording studio, just as a business, hw is tax deductible and you buy what you need, simple as that, pretty common back then.

Truth is a lot of the old drum machines sounds like garbage (especially old analog), so you have to process each sound (lot's of work on the Kick/SD). Then it was sampled into the Emu or Akai, then processed again, resampled, until it hits hard. Listen to the early house tracks, they sound weak. When C&C Music factory came out with "gonna make you sweat" (1991) it set a new standard for how club sound was supposed to be. In the RnB bag Teddy Riley did a good job of taking the R8 snares and push them with hard limiting/clipping to create those super hard snares in the New Jack Swing songs. Most producers had to figure things out by themselves, no YouTube, and get a hint once in a while form colleagues. If you think am trying to p-ss someone off you are wrong, not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. I just share my experience and thoughts (un-cut) that costed a lot of money to figure out back in the days. If you don't need it, then don't take it, you'll figure it out as well what works and what don't, given enough time/trial-n-error/money. If you just want a kick, look at Eurorack kick modules, you may find one that offers much more, for less money.

We'll about kids "with iPads", it has already happened and they stack loops, a lot, and not so much playing a VST even. Hiphop beat makers try to churn out at least one beat per day, but those who get good at stacking loops put stuff together in a couple of hours. Several beats per day - assembly line style. No hw, minimal VSTs, mainly pre-made loops...and sell them for $25 ea… Lot's of people complain about the quality of today's music, maybe so, but many of the 90's stars are gearing up for a come back - incl Teddy Riley, and Snoop Dogg just released, Scott Storch is working with Timbaland on new stuff. The next few years will probably be really interesting.

O1B

25 Aug 2019

Can a PHead just "Planet Rock?!"
"Please, Please, Please get off my Bone.... 'cause I'm doing my own!" - DLS.

O1B

27 Aug 2019

SUB.

The cowbell is pretty nice. (~1m45s)

Re8et
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
15 Aug 2019
:thumbs_up:

I Just boght the Volca beat "808" one month ago, the day after I had it completeley modded, with individual outputs, midi out, and ready to rock...
The Original 808 had some kind of compression on the Kick, which, if you can squeeze into the Volca, as a little, separate circuit, will close the gap even further. At 80 euro's pricetag it's more than I ever wanted as a kid... except it is not a 64 steps (sigh), it is just awesome value, way more crunchy than the Roland 808 remake, which price dropped almost instantly below 300's as the rd-8 was announced.

And also The Boom 808, with bass mode, mono and polyphonic, is a pretty Drum-machine.

O1B

28 Aug 2019

Link, pls. The TR-8 is long discontinued and the TR-8s hasn't changed. Link, pls.
Roland 808 remake, which price dropped almost instantly below 300's
Nice workaround
I had it completeley modded, with individual outputs, midi out,
The Kick is nice on Volca BEATS for sure. Better on Volca KiCK, though.
The Kick on the TR-8 was unusable, imo.
way more crunchy than the Roland 808 remake
I gotta look into these Modded Volcas.

I imagine it would be HARD to see the Point. And,, you have your ...cough... 808... anyways...

but - The Point is to have a dedicated 808 Box.
64 steps....?
Nice Kick AND Snare....?
Mute and SOLO?
Built in FX/Filter?
Song MODE?
Tunable KICK?
HaRDWARE? Is that soooo hard to comprehend on this RE/VST site? In the Hardware Section?

Enjoy your Volca MOD, Re8et! AND, ENJOY boom RE, Re8et!
Re8et wrote:
27 Aug 2019
:thumbs_up:

I Just boght the Volca beat "808" one month ago, the day after I had it completeley modded, with individual outputs, midi out, and ready to rock...
The Original 808 had some kind of compression on the Kick, which, if you can squeeze into the Volca, as a little, separate circuit, will close the gap even further. At 80 euro's pricetag it's more than I ever wanted as a kid... except it is not a 64 steps (sigh), it is just awesome value, way more crunchy than the Roland 808 remake, which price dropped almost instantly below 300's as the rd-8 was announced.

And also The Boom 808, with bass mode, mono and polyphonic, is a pretty Drum-machine.

• Information