Climate Change [Solved!]

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
EnochLight

23 Aug 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
22 Aug 2019
And again, what about airplanes? They cannot and won't be electric. They pollute our sky as much as anything, why are people thinking "cars" are the problem????????????????
For starters, the vast majority of people in most developed nations own and drive cars. Far fewer percentages of those people regularly fly in planes. But while "electric planes" are unlikely, using biofuel is far more possible (and has been done). So don't write off flying altogether. There's too much of the world to see. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

mashers

23 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
23 Aug 2019
someone mentioned that “capitalism is the answer to climate change”, and I’d just like to point out that if that were true, it would’ve been solved 30 years ago.
I think there can be a distinction between capitalism and consumerism, though the two seem inseparable in the world we live in. Consumption drives demand, demand drives supply, and supply drives consumption. This is a vicious circle wherein suppliers are compelled to consume resources to meed the demand of consumers. We consume in order to consume. The only hope is for us to move away from a consumerist civilisation towards a naturist* one. The driving forces of human behaviour would become intentions to make the environment more suitable for ALL forms of natural life, none at the expense of another, including humans. Capitalism would still work in this model, with products and services focused towards undoing the damage we have caused thus far. Currency would still be required, whether fiat or backed, but it would be a means to an end rather than an end unto itself. Imagine what kind of life it would be if we all, as a species, were striving for the betterment of the planet rather than the enrichment of ourselves.

(* in the sense of prioritising nature and natural things, not in the sense of nudism. Though a global movement towards nudism probably wouldn't be a bad thing as it would destroy the fashion industry and improve body image perceptions)
diminished wrote:
23 Aug 2019
Oh and I remember someone brought up eugenics.
It was just somebody trolling. It wasn't relevant to the discussion at all.
diminished wrote:
23 Aug 2019
Fucking educate the people around the globe about the trash they produce and the effects it has on their health and environment.
While I would love to believe that this would make a difference, I fear that a majority of people know what is happening, but life is much too comfortable for them to change anything. Everybody assumes somebody else will make the tough decisions, which means nobody does. It's mob psychology at its worst. People even say things to me, for example if I express guilt at having caved and turned on the air conditioner, like "you turning your air con on won't make any difference in the bigger picture". But the only reason why it doesn't make any difference is because everybody else is saying the same thing. It doesn't matter if I don't recycle properly... it doesn't matter if I put the heating on instead of putting on another layer... it doesn't matter if I drive to the shop instead of taking a half hour walk... If everybody thinks that this tiny behaviour doesn't matter, then it doesn't matter. But if everybody realises that those small changes collectively add up to big changes, then we can all change the world. Corporations like Amazon, Google, Disney, McDonalds, Coca Cola, Monsanto, Apple, Exxon etc only survive because people are paying them. Small changes which deprive these despicable organisations of revenue will starve them to death and make space for businesses which actually give a fuck about LIFE.

boingy

23 Aug 2019

And China is building coal-fired power stations at an astonishing rate. Anyone still think we can win?

guitfnky

23 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
23 Aug 2019
And China is building coal-fired power stations at an astonishing rate. Anyone still think we can win?
we could (probably) if we had some real leadership on the world stage, but we all know that’s not happening any time soon. :(
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

EnochLight

23 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
23 Aug 2019
The issue is, China is fast becoming the dominant world economy due to its blistering pace of economic development and rising middle class. This was literally unheard of 35 years ago, but today - it's very real. Within a matter of decades it is moving from having the vast majority of its people living in poverty and being close to backwoods to not only a rising middle class, but a thirst for expansion and modernization. Though it's very different of course, it's not unlike Europe post-industrial revolution or the United States post-Civil War.

China is only doing what it can to stay relative, compete in a modern world economy, and supply its population with much needed energy infrastructure. Yeah, it's shitty they're building coal plants at an unprecedented rate (as they have vast domestic coal reserves to exploit), but what did we* think was going to happen?

* We = the rest of the world that hired Chinese labor to produce cheap everything.

One could hope they'd modernize smartly (they are, in fact, THE world's largest manufacturer and user of solar panels), but we all know that the Chinese government won't be smart about it (hence, coal).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

diminished
Competition Winner

23 Aug 2019

I hate to admit it, but if there is one nation that could go from fossil to renewable literally from one day to the next, it's China.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

EnochLight

23 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
23 Aug 2019
I hate to admit it, but if there is one nation that could go from fossil to renewable literally from one day to the next, it's China.
It's sad, but true. Hopefully it won't take another 1989 Tiananmen Square to make it happen, though.

reggie1979

23 Aug 2019

Soylent green would be the best solution. Eat people and save the environment!

fullforce

23 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
23 Aug 2019
This has to be the joke of the century.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

EnochLight

23 Aug 2019

fullforce wrote:
23 Aug 2019
diminished wrote:
23 Aug 2019
Well, to be fair, I think what he is suggesting is that since China is a state-ran communist regime, it would merely take 1 command by the Chinese Paramount leader, Xi Jinping, and it would happen.

I mean obviously it likely won't happen, but that's all it would take. He commands all political and state offices, as well as the PLA. Anything he wants done, happens.

diminished
Competition Winner

23 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
23 Aug 2019
fullforce wrote:
23 Aug 2019

Well, to be fair, I think what he is suggesting is that since China is a state-ran communist regime, it would merely take 1 command by the Chinese Paramount leader, Xi Jinping, and it would happen.

I mean obviously it likely won't happen, but that's all it would take. He commands all political and state offices, as well as the PLA. Anything he wants done, happens.
Exactly. Remember when the cities were covered in so much smog you couldn't see? All citizens are forbidden to use their cars. Just like that. A company that doesn't play along with what the regime says? Gone.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

mashers

23 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
23 Aug 2019
No. I think we are all fucked, and we’re taking a load of other species with us which for all we know are also unique in the universe. It breaks my heart every single day to know that we have the potential to fix the world, but the greedy, sociopathic few and the comfortable, apathetic many are just letting this beautiful planet die one piece at a time.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

23 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
23 Aug 2019
Lung cancer rates are going to skyrocket in China, it has already started. I've been in some of their smog filled cities, it is crazy and unreal when you only can see a few blocks. With social media and an uprising of the people (the biggest fear of the communist party) things may change. Not overnight, but just like London was the "filthiest place on earth" with coal burning and few sewer lines (200yrs ago?), thing can change...slowly.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

reggie1979

23 Aug 2019

Do they have wind in China?

EnochLight

23 Aug 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
23 Aug 2019
No. The ice walls they built to keep the Army of the Dead out also stops all of the wind.

reggie1979

23 Aug 2019

haha!!

fullforce

24 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
23 Aug 2019
fullforce wrote:
23 Aug 2019

Yes ofcourse, magically renewable energy sources will appear everywhere. Much like Kim Jong Il's rainbows when he was born.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce

24 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
23 Aug 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
23 Aug 2019
No. The ice walls they built to keep the Army of the Dead out also stops all of the wind.
Klaaaatuuuu!!!

Veraaataaa!!!

Hugghghghhgghhghh!!!!

EnochLight

24 Aug 2019

fullforce wrote:
24 Aug 2019
Yes ofcourse, magically renewable energy sources will appear everywhere. Much like Kim Jong Il's rainbows when he was born.
It costs far less to build (and maintain) wind and solar than it does 1 single nuclear facility. So, honestly - no magic is needed - all the *Glorious Leader has to do is say "build it", and they will. They don't have a choice. Fun fact: China is worth $63.48 trillion as of 2016. Plenty of GDP to spend on renewable energy factories....

* Glorious Leader = Xi Jinping in this instance. Clearly North Korea doesn't have the resources nor money to build things like this (without China's assistance anyway).... :lol:

fullforce wrote:
24 Aug 2019
Klaaaatuuuu!!!

Veraaataaa!!!

Hugghghghhgghhghh!!!!
Dude, I am literally in the middle of Ash Vs. Evil Dead (as well as Army of Darkness) for like the 20th time. :D ALL HAIL THE KING!

Last Alternative

27 Aug 2019

Climate has always changed. Polar shifts. Earth evolving. Solar cycles, etc. BUT! ....I do believe clearly humans are a parasite killing our only planet and everything in it. HOWEVER, what really makes me gag is the elites like Al Gore who fly around the world in private jets, have multiple mansions, and get chauffeured around wanna guilt trip us and tell us how to live and push more taxes to “fix it” when instead, they and their elitist corporate friend pals could EASILY put their money where their mouth is, set an example, fly coach, etc. but EXSPECIALLY (and they’re certainly rich enough) they should all pitch in financially to clean up the plastic in the oceans... move towards clean and free energy... stop the insane rate of deforestation..... plant new forests...... implement cleanup and recycling in 3rd world countries.... the list goes on. But do they? Maybe a little to save Face but let’s be honest it’s a bullsh and they don’t really care enough to make a difference because it would cut into their wealth and lavish lifestyles.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

mashers

27 Aug 2019

At this point I think force is the only option. Governments are so tied in to corporations. Why would a government want to reduce carbon emissions when they are being paid billions by oil companies AND earning tax revenue on the use of fuel and energy? Politics is a rich man's game and none of them give a fuck about us or the planet. I believe mass global civil disobedience is the only way anything is going to change.

EnochLight

27 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Climate has always changed. Polar shifts. Earth evolving. Solar cycles, etc. BUT! ....I do believe clearly humans are a parasite killing our only planet and everything in it.
Just for the sake of clarity, you do agree that *climate change (currently) is a being influenced a great deal by human activity (read: burning fossil fuels)?

* Let's just call it global warming

Last Alternative

27 Aug 2019

I mean yeah.. ever since the industrial revolution we’ve been pumping pollution all over this planet; Polluting with plastic; deforestation; forest fires; Amazon fires; oil spills; nuclear spills; corporate pollution into water systems, etc. but carbon taxes aren’t gonna fix it. That’s a load of new world order shiz to bleed us dry for total tyranny control, along with many other methods they have planned for us. The elites don’t care about the world. Too many lobbyists and backroom deals making them richer to continue killing Earth, while in the public eye acting like heroes trying to save it.
Keep in mind one big volcano eruption spews out more CO2 than humans can make in a lifetime tho.. so it’s not just us. It’s obviously not as bad as the globalists would like us to believe. The world isn’t gonna end in 12 years like they say.. Mostly hype.
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

EnochLight

27 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Keep in mind one big volcano eruption spews out more CO2 than humans can make in a lifetime tho..
Sorry, but that is false. This is a common climate-change-denier talkback point that's fundamentally wrong.
Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
It’s obviously not as bad as the globalists would like us to believe. The world isn’t gonna end in 12 years like they say.. Mostly hype.
The world certainly isn't going to end in 12 years, but human-caused climate change certainly is the biggest environmental disaster to occur in the last century that is going to affect the entire planet - and every life form on it - for the foreseeable future. There's no denying that.

Last Alternative

27 Aug 2019

Maybe you missed that I said BIG eruptions. Yeah it’s been a while. And I’m not denying global warming or whatever but it’s being hyped worst than it is and the hypocrisy is astounding that the ones screaming at us who have the means to make a difference aren’t really doing a damn thing about it so I keep living my life trying to be green to do my part.

• Information