Swimming Vs The Gym

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2019

I got a gym card partly paid through my job. It was pretty expensive...one of THOSE gyms but I thought oh well at least the machines are new. When I asked if someone could show me how to use them they said I’d have to pay for a personal trainer for an hour and I said no thanks and proceeded to use their new machines the wrong way. Showing up with a spear, a sword and a sabre also proved unpopular. Under a year I went there 4 times. Boring as f”””!
Running though...it’s torture but once you come up in distance your worries just fade away. Something to do with your brain going into alpha state after about 15 minutes (like in a float tank). Another plus is that the only extra you need is a good pair of shoes. You start at your front door and finish at your front door. Cool down, shower and you’re good to go. Magic :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

sleep1979

19 Jul 2019

Just swam again mate im
Dead arms are dead i like swimming does all over body no trainer needed , just a lifeguard if i drown

lakinlakin

19 Jul 2019

dannyF wrote:
19 Jul 2019
Some of the gym comments here are so spot on with my last expereince.

Last time I went to the gym I was the only one in it, the guy at the front was playing some old school drum & bass I was really enjoying it, until two meatheads walked in....proclaimed loudly in the gym that 'only druggies like this kind of music' and got the guy at the front to swap it for some modern depressive shit they brought in. I did feel judged.

I had enough of the little egos in gyms and now workout with indian clubs, persian meels and chin up bar at home. F gyms.
I agree gyms can be difficult to train in. The OP may be lucky and have access to a good one.

My own training consists of hitting a punchbag every other day, alternating with days doing light weights. I'm lucky and can train in my garage.

I also set myself an annual physical challenge. Last years was to do a muscle up using gymnastic rings. This years is to do a press handstand.

Whatever and however you train the main thing is to get into the habit of exercise, it helps with so many aspects of life - like creativity.

sleep1979

19 Jul 2019

lakinlakin wrote:
19 Jul 2019
dannyF wrote:
19 Jul 2019
Some of the gym comments here are so spot on with my last expereince.

Last time I went to the gym I was the only one in it, the guy at the front was playing some old school drum & bass I was really enjoying it, until two meatheads walked in....proclaimed loudly in the gym that 'only druggies like this kind of music' and got the guy at the front to swap it for some modern depressive shit they brought in. I did feel judged.

I had enough of the little egos in gyms and now workout with indian clubs, persian meels and chin up bar at home. F gyms.
I agree gyms can be difficult to train in. The OP may be lucky and have access to a good one.

My own training consists of hitting a punchbag every other day, alternating with days doing light weights. I'm lucky and can train in my garage.

I also set myself an annual physical challenge. Last years was to do a muscle up using gymnastic rings. This years is to do a press handstand.

Whatever and however you train the main thing is to get into the habit of exercise, it helps with so many aspects of life - like creativity.
Its more of a leisure centre gym
But the old ladies , women and chrildren occupy the running machines rowing machines space etc
But the meatheads still take up the weight section
Id pay the same for swimming
And me and my boy are oushig each other with that and no ones looking in the pool at you so yeah its more of an all over body workout and no mofo is laughing or i think there laughing ( in my brain haha that weak mofo can only do ten reps 😂😂

Noplan
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2019

I replaced my car with a bicycle. I drive 1000 km per month and have my daily sport. All in all, that saves money and time because I don`t need to go somewhere to make sport after work. And since then I was not sick for a day. I can only recommend it to everyone.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2019

Try riding a bike, if you can find safe roads, or a trail. Much more fun, so you'll get back at it.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

reddust

05 Aug 2019

I've been doing both for years, and I personally prefer swimming all the way because it's not only more fun for me but it also feels more natural. When I swim for a longer time I just feel great, I have the impression it really works on almost every aspect (cardio, muscle, back position...) and it even feels clean while you do it.

Gym for me depends on what your goal is, for some time I wanted to gain some muscle, not much because I'm a big guy already and I don't like too much muscle to be honest, but it is not just an aesthetic thing, muscle has also its weight and I've found that long term you can become heavier which at older ages might become a problem. Depending on what you train you might even become less agile, while I never had that impression when swimming. So, for me swimming is the best option without a doubt.

Btw, riding a bike is great for cardio and fat burning but if you have back issues not really the best choice.

demt

09 Aug 2019

seem to have swapped my lifestyle from a nice routine with a work out during the day to a druggie nocturnal existance .The right sort of help needed. Am i learning to sink to the occasion instead of extra +ve boost.To much +ve back up n im raving at the walls triyng to change the world.
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

demt

21 Aug 2019

update still no sign of a change
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

OliverBlack77

06 Nov 2020

It depends on what you do in the gym, and also on what your goals are. Swimming is a more efficient form of aerobic exercise (in terms of calories burned per hour) than many of the alternatives. But another important factor is what you enjoy doing. I'm looking for a decent shampoo here as my hair is awful afer pool

• Information