Softube won't be making REs anymore :(

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
owlymane

13 Aug 2019

sdst wrote:
12 Aug 2019
very sad news
hope Softube leaves the REs for free before leaving. :)
That'd be great! :lol:

future-bit

13 Aug 2019

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2019

future-bit wrote:
13 Aug 2019
owlymane wrote:
13 Aug 2019

There is no such thing as a free lunch
€349 is a bit expensive for a bag of chips though.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

owlymane

13 Aug 2019

future-bit wrote:
13 Aug 2019
owlymane wrote:
13 Aug 2019

My mom used to make me free lunch. It's called love :D But I doubt Softube has that much love for us :lol:

owlymane

13 Aug 2019

MrFigg wrote:
13 Aug 2019
future-bit wrote:
13 Aug 2019

€349 is a bit expensive for a bag of chips though.
HAHAHA good one

ortxedys

13 Aug 2019

dioxide wrote:
11 Aug 2019
ortxedys wrote:
11 Aug 2019
I feel that RE’s now will be left to the Reason enthusiast. I for one would buy a RE over a vst anyday.
Yeah I hope PH do something to secure the future of RE. I'm a Reason fanboy so I'll be focused on REs and Reason over anything else. But not everyone is like this and many are already using other DAWs and VSTs. I want to know what PH plan to do to stop everyone just jumping ship.
ortxedys wrote:
11 Aug 2019
I simply feel secure when buying RE’s. I imagine myself installing idk, Reason 15, 3 computers from now and every single RE i’ve bought just lined up ready to go for a download. Hopefully some developers see the upside to them... Am I the only that buys them for this very reason?
This is a big factor for me too. I dabbled with a few VSTs in the dark days of Reason, but it was also around the time that Apple switched over to Intel chips and everyone had to rewrite their plugins. The slow wait for devs to update their software, the realisation that many plugins might never be updated, and the pain of installations and serials are all reasons that I'm not keen on going down the VST path. All those problems still exist today. PH should really sell this side of REs more, it's a really important advantage over other formats.
Exactly. I mean, I do feel that some of the vst counterparts do have nicer interfaces. But the one thing I love about Reason is that it’s the only software that feels closest to hardware. I mean, self containing all samples within a project? The backwards compatibility has been top notch. That is also a huge reason why I stuck with Reason. Like you said, they need to play up to their advantages so people that aren’t us can see them as well.

Only time will tell how much they care about the RE format. It’s not the end all be all for me but I do feel like they have some upsides they need to acknowledge. Plus, I came into Reason in version 4. Everything up until now has been icing on the cake. I don’t need much to make good music.

djadalaide

15 Aug 2019

It was initially nice to see Softube in the rack, but honestly, a lot of the smaller 3rd party fx provided by red rock, jiggery-pokery, kuassa, kilohearts, labone, lectric panda, numerical sound and (last 2 but not least) selig and synapse are more useful to me in day-to-day usage.

Last Alternative

21 Aug 2019

Saturation should have been designed with an output gain because boy does it insanely increase volume!!! Softube said they would have to redesign it to add that feature. I’ve had Reason since 9 and been so excited to see big names taking part until I watched Line6 walk away, upgrades become less enticing and the company in general lost touch with us by ditching the forums, started price gouging, stopped making tutorials and being interactive with us... it’s as if Propellerhead is winding down and here I thought it was gonna explode for the best at one point. Sux but time will tell..
Last edited by Last Alternative on 21 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
21 Aug 2019
Saturation should have been designed with an output gain because boy does it increase volume!!! Softube said they would have to redesign it to add that feature. I’ve had Reason since 9 and been so excited to see big names taking part until I watched Line6 walk away, upgrades become less enticing and the company in general lost touch with us by ditching the forums, stopped making tutorials and being interactive with us... it’s as if Propellerhead is winding down and here I thought it was gonna explode for the best at one point. Sux but time will tell..
Maybe fire a Selig Gain on it?
Must say, personally I was glad to see the departure of Line 6 for many reasons.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Last Alternative

21 Aug 2019

Yeah I love the Saturation Knob but having to add ANOTHER device just to control it pisses me off that ST didn’t think about that in the first place. Line6 was lame for the most part but there were a few amp presets I used and loved more than anything since. What can ya do.. pretty sad there hasn’t been anything new for guitarists in a while.
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
21 Aug 2019
the company in general lost touch with us by ditching the forums, started price gouging, stopped making tutorials and being interactive with us... it’s as if Propellerhead is winding down and here I thought it was gonna explode for the best at one point. Sux but time will tell..
I couldn't agree more. I'm not really angry, but sad about it.
The Props asking people on facebook about what's the first thing they add to the rack, then liking every answer doesn't help with that feeling either. That's not interaction.
Maybe they're seriously understaffed, but in the end it's only an explanation, not an excuse. I just don't get them anymore.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

guitfnky

21 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
21 Aug 2019
there hasn’t been anything new for guitarists in a while.
true, from Props’ side, but I’m okay with that. it would be cool if they eventually put out a new guitar modeler, but they have more important features that need to be added first. until then, there are plenty of incredible sounding VST modelers out there that’ll more than do the trick.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
21 Aug 2019
Yeah I love the Saturation Knob but having to add ANOTHER device just to control it pisses me off that ST didn’t think about that in the first place. Line6 was lame for the most part but there were a few amp presets I used and loved more than anything since. What can ya do.. pretty sad there hasn’t been anything new for guitarists in a while.
Villanelle, Psyclone and Matchlock are the three top REs on my guitar at the moment. (Pretty new)
Fritz admittedly is a bit older but woaaaah!!!!
And Animus...:)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Last Alternative

21 Aug 2019

Right? If you look at their Facecrook page, it feels like a ghost town as opposed to in the past.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
21 Aug 2019
Right? If you look at their Facecrook page, it feels like a ghost town as opposed to in the past.
Whose FB page? Props? Haven’t had FB for ages so I’ve not seen it.
If you really miss the Line 6 presets there’s always Pod Farm. That said, I installed Pod Farm Platinum yesterday just to see if it was as I remembered it. And it was so I uninstalled it again :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Aug 2019

MrFigg wrote:
21 Aug 2019
Last Alternative wrote:
21 Aug 2019
Whose FB page? Props? Haven’t had FB for ages so I’ve not seen it.
If you really miss the Line 6 presets there’s always Pod Farm. That said, I installed Pod Farm Platinum yesterday just to see if it was as I remembered it. And it was so I uninstalled it again :).
You don't need an account to view it: https://www.facebook.com/Propellerhead/
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

kuhliloach

22 Aug 2019

Buying plug-ins isn't necessary anymore because DAWs now come with everything you need. And there is an elephant in the room. Its name is iOS--that place where cutting edge plug-ins cost about twenty bucks.

It seems Softube latched onto the greedy Pro-Tools culture of CEO's seeing dollar signs in their eyes and single plug-ins costing $200 or more. Do they also pay their coders minimum wage while their CEO's light cigars with $100 dollar bills? With more and more DAW's coming with everything you need to complete projects the business model of premium plug-in pricing is hopefully a dead horse. The Saturation Knob was a blessing; I'm not sure how a Reason user could complain about it lacking any features.

My hope is a complete re-evaluation from Softube regarding what they charge for their products, RE's or not.

Resonator

22 Aug 2019

Bye bye SoftLube. Thanks for the knob.

Oquasec

22 Aug 2019

Good to know cuz props takes care of maintaining all of those
Last edited by Oquasec on 24 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Iapetus 9

22 Aug 2019

SofTube leaving RE's? No sweat here, their stuff was a tad overrated IMHO, and we have the VST option if I want anything from em. I'm all about original Reason content with RE's anyways.
38L > 51D every time.

reggie1979

22 Aug 2019

Iapetus 9 wrote:
22 Aug 2019
SofTube leaving RE's? No sweat here, their stuff was a tad overrated IMHO, and we have the VST option if I want anything from em. I'm all about original Reason content with RE's anyways.
FET was great though, and I got it on sale. So for some of us, it's not just "good riddance " ......

Spryx

23 Aug 2019

TSAR-1 is also one of the best algorithmic reverbs outside of anything by 2c audio. Too bad I can only use the RE version.
latest:

tallguy

24 Aug 2019

A developer abandoning RE as a platform is never a good thing. Don't understand people gleefully saying "I never liked them anyway".

I have their Tube-Tech Classic Channel. Had I known at the time Kuassa made a similar EQ, I might not have gotten it. But as it is, I use the Tube-Tech all the time. My racks tend to look very blue in the navigator.

owlymane

24 Aug 2019

tallguy wrote:
24 Aug 2019
A developer abandoning RE as a platform is never a good thing. Don't understand people gleefully saying "I never liked them anyway".

I have their Tube-Tech Classic Channel. Had I known at the time Kuassa made a similar EQ, I might not have gotten it. But as it is, I use the Tube-Tech all the time. My racks tend to look very blue in the navigator.
Why in the world did they not split the EQs and Comp to make 3 distinctive plugins for better visualization and structure.. :wtf: That's the only RE I haven't purchased because of its 3-in-1 design... :roll:

stxlm

24 Aug 2019

I'm a bit sad. I have quite a few of their RE:s, and they are indeed my favourites.

I also wonder what happens when yet another provider of stock plugins withdraws. Are amp emulations cursed? Are the Softube amps also on a limited license, like Line6's?

I think the stability of the RE tech is one of Reason's USP. I think Props shot themselves in the foot by caving in to demand and adding VST. Did they really see new users to the extent that such a decision was worth it?

• Information