need some advice...

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
r1381

16 Aug 2019

ok, so i'm not saying my stuff is good, but i've noticed the way my music sounds to me is quite different depending on how/where i'm listening to it.

from my pc klipsch speakers and my car stereo, i'm pretty satisfied with how most of my stuff generally sounds.
however, i recently snagged a sennheiser headset and notice i am not liking what i'm hearing. i had read/heard having a headset like sennheiser is really great for mixing, etc.

so my question is...which is the truest form of what my tracks sound like? is what i'm hearing on my klipsch and car speakers more accurate to how my stuff should sound, or is what i hear in the sennheiser headset the real truth? that truth being my mixing is trash?

if the final track is in its truest form from what i hear in my sennheisers, does that mean what i am hearing from my pc and car speakers is "wrong" from a technical sense?

thanks for any advice. still trying to wrap my head around just about everything.

PhillipOrdonez

16 Aug 2019

Look, don't know what speakers those are... But I'm going to guess you listen to a lot of well produced music through them and also in your car. Listen to a lot of tracks you're familiar with on the headphones to see how they sound there. Those headphones tend to boost the bass a lot (depending on the model, but the ones I've tried do, at least). You wanna familiarise yourself with the space and the speakers when referencing... The best way to test how your stuff sounds is by playing it at a club (if it is club music, of course), since that would be the medium most people would listen to your stuff

Fotu

17 Aug 2019

FWIW I use Sennheiser HD 280 Pros for vocal recordings because they do very well with preventing monitor leakage, but they sound terrible to my ears for general listening (or mixing), compared to my near field monitors or Grado headphones. In addition to Phillip's advice you may also want to try some different headphones to get a feel for the wide range of sound characteristics from various models.

demt

17 Aug 2019

bring back bass and treble controls from worldwide to not a sign is a hell of a conspiracy those controls gave the user a sorta join in feeling and lead the listener to actually spend sum time getting into the music to a mutch greater extent than mere volume only controls that these mobile phones and computers give, anti sterile even.so mutch to say on this topic.
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

r1381

20 Aug 2019

thanks for the feedback, tips, ideas! yeah, i just don't know what to believe when it comes to what i'm hearing. i don't have the expertise that others have when it comes to sound. i love the sennheiser headest, though...it helps with pointing out glaring issues. not sure it represents what the tracks will sound like with "normal" listening, though.
cheers, mates.

guitfnky

21 Aug 2019

your mixes will sound different on every different set of speakers and headphones. one of the main goals of mixing is to make sure an audio track translates well to as wide a variety of speakers/headphones as possible.

one of the best ways to do that, if you don’t yet have a well-treated mixing room and a good set of ears (those will come with time), is to first listen to your mix on as many different sets of speakers and headphones as you can. it sounds like you’re already doing that, so now you just need to make note of what sticks out on each set of speakers—you’re specifically looking for stuff that sounds wrong, or just ‘off’. with those notes in mind, you can start tweaking your mix.

for example, if something sounds too loud on multiple listening devices, it’s a safe bet that it needs to be turned down. or, if something sounds too harsh on one device, but fine on another, you might need to split the difference, and EQ enough of the harshness out to take the edge off, but not go so far you ruin the sound on the device it sounds okay on.

it can be a tedious process, when you’re starting out, but it’s a valuable one. you’ll get more familiar with how your mix room sounds, and that’ll give you a feel for what a good mix should sound like on your mix speakers, which in turn will make it easier to address common problems before you finish your mixes.

if you can afford it, you should invest a bit of time and money in some good sound treatment for your room. no single audio purchase will be more valuable to you as a mixer. good room treatment is crucial to making the mix process easier, because there’ll be less weird room stuff you need to compensate for. it’s not as sexy as a shiny new pair of speakers, or a new interface, but I can’t stress enough that room treatment is far more important than anything else.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information