EP Challenge - Pick your own theme

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
Wobbleburger

26 Jul 2019

diminished wrote:
26 Jul 2019
I did it! Before the deadline, yay!

After finishing the first song with all the new tools that have never gotten used before, I was in a rut. The Reason-Lite-only song I first made didn't interest me anymore, then I went to a little vacation, came back sick and stayed it for more than another two weeks.
When the current heat wave hit my corner of the planet two days ago, I dreamt of simpler times back in the days: Acid DJ Pro. Effortlessly putting loops together and calling it a day... if only... hold up! Why wouldn't I be able to do this in Reason? Spoiler alert, I did exactly that and it was a lot of fun. Again I proved my theory, that the less you care, the more fun the journey is.

So, I'm happy to announce that I've finished my challenge with only one exception, which is the self-sampled hardware n stuff. I'll save that for another time.
I'll listen to all of your achievements later, but for now I'm just happy that I can put a checkmark behind that topic.

The following song was made using only loops and samples from the FSB, two free loops from Loopcloud, one Subtractor bassline and the red legacy delay & reverb. Everything chopped up and rearranged in the sequencer :)

Oh, and I give myself bonus points for dabbling in a genre I've never touched before: (Chill?)House!
Just the right kind of music to survive these hot days.

Love this. Nice work.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

diminished
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
26 Jul 2019

Love this. Nice work.
Thanks Wobble! That means a lot to me, coming from you.
I've got some DnB in the works, my first "real" one. Once it's finished, I'll shoot you a message and beg for critique and tips :D That's a promise!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Wobbleburger

27 Jul 2019

diminished wrote:
26 Jul 2019
Wobbleburger wrote:
26 Jul 2019

Love this. Nice work.
Thanks Wobble! That means a lot to me, coming from you.
I've got some DnB in the works, my first "real" one. Once it's finished, I'll shoot you a message and beg for critique and tips :D That's a promise!
Hey, you earned it! Excited to hear the dnb!
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

r1381

30 Jul 2019

good stuff, aeox! i like in goldwave and snap where you have the quiet parts that switch over to the beat and that synth sound you got going on.

tritone, wild och is definitely my favorite. i really love the first 40 seconds of magical rock, too. sounds awesome.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2019

r1381 wrote:
30 Jul 2019
tritone, wild och is definitely my favorite. i really love the first 40 seconds of magical rock, too. sounds awesome.
Thanks. Wild och Crazy is probably my personal favorite too.

Despondo
Competition Winner

06 Aug 2019

Okay...Here goes...

I want to create an Ambient/Dystopian EP/Album using only the Zebra 2 synth from u-he. Deadline is October 1st.

Tornado

19 Aug 2019

Sorry guys. I missed my deadline. The exciting musical adventure about Greger the service technician will have to wait a bit longer. Partly because of some near tropical heat sweeping through Sweden during my vacation, partly because of laziness. Some of the material is starting to... materialize... but since the EP plays out as story, I want to wait until all five tracks are finished before I publish them. New deadline: 6th of October. The idea is to finish the project earlier than that, but we'll see. I will complete the project and post my result here when it's ready. Promise.

Tornado

19 Aug 2019

retreed wrote:
14 Jul 2019
It's done. :o :lol:

Nice work. I like the sound overall. The electric guitar thing in track 1 "late night" sounds a bit thin or high in the register, in my opinion. I think it needs more midrange. Track 3 "hangover" is my favorite. I particularly enjoy the sections where fewer instruments fight for the space - where things calm down for a bit. Those sections carry more dynamics and tension. Such as at 2:20-2:35 and especially 3:22-3:36. Those last seconds are the best part of the whole EP! :-)

Desmondblack
Competition Winner

20 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
26 Jul 2019
I did it! Before the deadline, yay!

After finishing the first song with all the new tools that have never gotten used before, I was in a rut. The Reason-Lite-only song I first made didn't interest me anymore, then I went to a little vacation, came back sick and stayed it for more than another two weeks.
When the current heat wave hit my corner of the planet two days ago, I dreamt of simpler times back in the days: Acid DJ Pro. Effortlessly putting loops together and calling it a day... if only... hold up! Why wouldn't I be able to do this in Reason? Spoiler alert, I did exactly that and it was a lot of fun. Again I proved my theory, that the less you care, the more fun the journey is.

So, I'm happy to announce that I've finished my challenge with only one exception, which is the self-sampled hardware n stuff. I'll save that for another time.
I'll listen to all of your achievements later, but for now I'm just happy that I can put a checkmark behind that topic.

The following song was made using only loops and samples from the FSB, two free loops from Loopcloud, one Subtractor bassline and the red legacy delay & reverb. Everything chopped up and rearranged in the sequencer :)

Oh, and I give myself bonus points for dabbling in a genre I've never touched before: (Chill?)House!
Just the right kind of music to survive these hot days.

Really like this track, its warm and dreamy! Great job also in restraining yourself!
Can't produce in the bedroom - people are sleeping there!

artotaku

23 Aug 2019

I´m on a sabbatical (time-off) right now since 3 months. Part of this time-off I wanted to work on and finish a musical project (an EP, album or live performance).

Did a lot of tinkering around with diffenent things but finally motivation and inspiration strikes and three weeks are left until the sabbatical ends.
So I go with the following goal which fits quite well for this thread:

Finish an EP and call it "Auszeit EP" as a theme name with at least three tracks until 15th September 2019.
So the only restriction I apply is the deadline.

I have finished the first track today:

[EDIT] 2nd track finished.

r1381

27 Aug 2019

been fun checking this post to listen to everyone's progress on their ep challenges!
i think i'm getting close to having most of what i want for mine. my production value will pale in comparison, but i'm still enjoying myself.
i will apologize in advance for the violation of your eardrums if you choose to give it a listen.

i think this will be the artwork for my ep:

diminished
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

Desmondblack wrote:
20 Aug 2019

Really like this track, its warm and dreamy! Great job also in restraining yourself!
Oh I missed that - thank you, Desmond!!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

diminished
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

r1381 wrote:
27 Aug 2019
been fun checking this post to listen to everyone's progress on their ep challenges!
i think i'm getting close to having most of what i want for mine. my production value will pale in comparison, but i'm still enjoying myself.
i will apologize in advance for the violation of your eardrums if you choose to give it a listen.

That's some cool artwork! Where's the music?

r1381

30 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
27 Aug 2019
r1381 wrote:
27 Aug 2019

That's some cool artwork! Where's the music?
ok, so here is one track that i guess i'd considered finished, haha.

artotaku

08 Sep 2019

Mission accomplished. My "Auszeit" EP is released. Right before my sabbatical ends (one week left).

Fun fact. In each song I use one or more instances of the often so criticized Klang and Humana romplers.
And in Latina I was quite suprised how good the choir/strings from the good old ID8 sounds (I used Cinematic Choir patch).
Not to mention of Monotone which is one of my goto instruments. Just great for leads and arps.

Desmondblack
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2019

Hi all,
so over the summer I made a patch which is a combination of the ABL 3 Bassline 303 emulation and the classic Thor patch "a bit of Aggro" (with a little bit of help of Scream and Trash). Surprisingly, controlling the Thor patch with the ABL 3 works like a charm and gets some really nice (and aggressive) acid sounds! Originally the planned EP had four tracks, named Sour #1, 2 etc, I have ended up with 3. The fourth one might be added some time in the future but it does not carry the emotional weight of the other tracks, and thats exactly why I like the combination of these sounds so much, a lot of bloody emotion!
Here goes!

1. Just a Dream

2. Nightdevil

3. Sour #1

Enjoy!

r1381

12 Sep 2019

artotaku wrote:
08 Sep 2019
Mission accomplished. My "Auszeit" EP is released. Right before my sabbatical ends (one week left).

Fun fact. In each song I use one or more instances of the often so criticized Klang and Humana romplers.
And in Latina I was quite suprised how good the choir/strings from the good old ID8 sounds (I used Cinematic Choir patch).
Not to mention of Monotone which is one of my goto instruments. Just great for leads and arps.

nice work! great atmosphere you created. anklang was my favorite!

artotaku

13 Sep 2019

r1381 wrote:
12 Sep 2019
artotaku wrote:
08 Sep 2019

nice work! great atmosphere you created. anklang was my favorite!
Thanks!

r1381

13 Sep 2019

Desmondblack wrote:
08 Sep 2019
Hi all,
so over the summer I made a patch which is a combination of the ABL 3 Bassline 303 emulation and the classic Thor patch "a bit of Aggro" (with a little bit of help of Scream and Trash). Surprisingly, controlling the Thor patch with the ABL 3 works like a charm and gets some really nice (and aggressive) acid sounds! Originally the planned EP had four tracks, named Sour #1, 2 etc, I have ended up with 3. The fourth one might be added some time in the future but it does not carry the emotional weight of the other tracks, and thats exactly why I like the combination of these sounds so much, a lot of bloody emotion!
Here goes!

1. Just a Dream

2. Nightdevil

3. Sour #1

Enjoy!
excellent. lots of good stuff happening in each song. i think just a dream was my favorite with nightdevil a close second.

Desmondblack
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

r1381 wrote:
13 Sep 2019
Desmondblack wrote:
08 Sep 2019
Hi all,
Here goes!

1. Just a Dream

2. Nightdevil

3. Sour #1

Enjoy!
excellent. lots of good stuff happening in each song. i think just a dream was my favorite with nightdevil a close second.
thanks a lot!!!

Dogcat

21 Sep 2019

Great challenge!

My theme: Soviet-era eastern Europe (sonically, aesthetically and/or lyrically), made entirely with Reason 10.

Ukrainian Architecture:

ylem

17 Apr 2020

Hi,
this is a work I made recently.
The idea was to create a sort of sound landscapes abstract enough to be evocative.
I don't like the genre label "ambient" (usually half an hour of sea wawes with some plin-plon now and then...).
I prefer define this kind of work as "background", useful for theater, dance, audiobooks or simply to be left behind when you're reading or studying.

I like try different things and Reason is perfect for this.
The piece I introduce you is called "UKUTHULA" that in zulu language means "silence" and I think you can spot a really good silence during the listening.

With the exception of the last part, I made the piece using only Thor Noise Generators, LFOs, Filters and Effects.
There are no samples in this work.

This is the index:
Ukuthula I - 00:00
Ukuthula II - 06:13
Ukuthula III - 10:12
Ukuthula IV - 16:00
Ukuthula V - 19:50
Ukuthula VI - 24:15
Ukuthula VII - 27:20

As you can see, the piece is quite long so be patients and try to listen for the different "landscapes" I made.

Bye

TheGodOfRainbows

25 Apr 2021

ylem wrote:
17 Apr 2020
Hi,
this is a work I made recently.
The idea was to create a sort of sound landscapes abstract enough to be evocative.
I don't like the genre label "ambient" (usually half an hour of sea wawes with some plin-plon now and then...).
I prefer define this kind of work as "background", useful for theater, dance, audiobooks or simply to be left behind when you're reading or studying.

I like try different things and Reason is perfect for this.
The piece I introduce you is called "UKUTHULA" that in zulu language means "silence" and I think you can spot a really good silence during the listening.

With the exception of the last part, I made the piece using only Thor Noise Generators, LFOs, Filters and Effects.
There are no samples in this work.

This is the index:
Ukuthula I - 00:00
Ukuthula II - 06:13
Ukuthula III - 10:12
Ukuthula IV - 16:00
Ukuthula V - 19:50
Ukuthula VI - 24:15
Ukuthula VII - 27:20

As you can see, the piece is quite long so be patients and try to listen for the different "landscapes" I made.

Bye
This is very interesting. I really like the idea of just textural "landscapes" for when you just want something to zone out on or meditate to. I like how dark and lo passed things are. I have a few tracks that are a similar idea, and in fact I'm using Thor's noise generators too! You've got some great atmosphere going on here. I enjoyed it.

• Information