[Wholesome topic] What do you LOVE about Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
reggie1979

14 Aug 2019

NekujaK wrote:
14 Aug 2019
UseReason.jpg
:lol:

moneykube

14 Aug 2019

I like the name :puf_wink:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

rcbuse
RE Developer

15 Aug 2019

Its by far my favorite sequencer out of all the DAWs out there. I love CV and modulating with combinators. I think players are great and I love the huge library of Rack Extensions. Huge fan of the mixer (Sub mixes to Sends to effects back into buses with inserts and back out of other sends, huge networks of effects all feeding back).

I think just using Reason is entertainment, I spend hours just getting lost in oceans of sound without ever saving anything
On a more nerd level, I love that all the RE patches are XML allowing patches to be generated with software.

Go-To Devices: Resonans, Synchronous, RV7, NNXT, PX7, Korg MonoPoly, Torsion, DYN-4

Other DAWs always leave me either overwhelmed or underwhelmed.

Jackjackdaw

16 Aug 2019

rcbuse wrote:
15 Aug 2019

Go-To Devices: Resonans, Synchronous, RV7, NNXT, PX7, Korg MonoPoly, Torsion, DYN-4

This is great, would love to hear everyone else’s ‘Go-To Devices’ as well! Mine are : Europa, Complex-1, Kong (as a sampler and interface for ext. pads), Pulveriser and Umph Club drums + Drum Sequencer

chimp_spanner

16 Aug 2019

Automation for me. Like in Cubase, if I want to automate 10 parameters on a synth for 1 bar, I have to put all the values back where they were BY HAND. Or, manually draw in start and end points before creating the automation, for every lane (which usually results in chancing the value as you double click and move the mouse slightly). There are no static values. Been asking for it for years. So on that basis alone Reason wins. Remote mapping is also way easier. And there's also global undo, which is such a time saver.

In a more general sense, yeah just the experience of 'getting the toys out'. It always feels more exciting and fun, rather than tedious or dull. To this day, after so many years using Reason, I still feel like I might stumble on a way of doing something that I haven't thought of before. Or maybe that no-one has thought of! That's really cool to me.

VariableX

16 Aug 2019

luv it. far too many things to list.
current goto devices:
umpf or retro with drum sequencer
dr octo rex
antidote and vk2 then probably predator
plus all the goodies i put in the master section.
if i was pushed i'd say i luv REs the most everything installed and licensed in one place and looks so cool playing with it all and pressing that tab 😍

VariableX

16 Aug 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
16 Aug 2019
luv it. far too many things to list.
current goto devices:
umpf or retro with drum sequencer
dr octo rex
antidote and vk2 then probably predator
plus all the goodies i put in the master section.
if i was pushed i'd say i luv REs the most everything installed and licensed in one place and looks so cool playing with it all and pressing that tab 😍
yes and automation so easy

Oquasec

18 Aug 2019

The Design and the stability.
64bit is gonna be supported for I don't even know how long.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

kuhliloach

18 Aug 2019

Used to be design, sound quality, and power but no longer. Reason is great to me now because of Convenience and Stability. It never crashes and installing it once installs all my plug-ins automatically. Well to be fair I do hassle with a couple VST's that need their own separate licensing. Yuck!

As my skills have improved I have learned to do what I need to do in most any DAW and now the specifics of Reason have become less important to me. Reason helped me learn and grow but the best DAW user interface ever made is obviously GarageBand and Ableton is the most powerful. All that said Reason will remain my main DAW. I'll eventually upgrade to a full blown Ableton license. (my current rig: Reason, Ableton Lite, GarageBand/Logic Pro X, KORG Gadget, Steinberg Cubasis)

reggie1979

18 Aug 2019

One thing about both Ableton and Reason is they've added PDC which is HUGE.

adfielding

19 Aug 2019

The rack is what drew me to Reason in the first place, and it's still a big part of why I have so much fun writing music with it (and, at the end of the day, having fun with Reason is still a big draw for me!). But, while that's what drew me in initially, I think the main thing for me now is that it's greater than the sum of its parts.

The rack is fantastic, and it's really easy to get drawn into it to create some really interesting instruments and effects, so that appeals to the noise-making part of my brain - and if I just want to drop in some instruments and effects quickly, hey - no problem, just don't flip the rack around!
The sequencer is straight-forward with just the right amount of non-destructive sequencing tools (namely Blocks & Regroove) to help me get ideas down quickly without getting in the way, so that appeals to the arrangement & composition part of my brain.
The mixer is super useful, and having EQ/filters/comps available on every channel and just THERE for when you need them is amazing for workflow, so that appeals to the mixing & tweaking part of my brain.

You bring all of those together and it all just "clicks" with me. Of all the DAWs I've tried it's the one that makes me really enjoy all of the processes of making noise and writing music the most, and it's only as complex as I need it to be when I'm working on something. But most of all... ok, yeah, it's because it's fun :)

Easywork

19 Aug 2019

Basically what everyone else said. Plus now they have made Reason compact what it should have been from the start, the ability to get inspired away from the desktop is brilliant. I continue to love Figure, but it’s export functionality (and drum sounds) are pretty bad. If PH are serious about Figure, Take AND Reason Compact, we should be in for a few treats on the mobile front. Fingers crossed!

enossified

28 Aug 2019

I love the rack. No need for pop-up windows, control and audio routing is visual, good use of skeumorphism.

I love that it is self-contained. No issues that a plugin won't work any more because I updated my computer OS, etc., etc.

I love the very reasonable upgrade policy (Cubase won't give me an upgrade discount if my version is more than 2 or 3 revs back).

Yonatan

28 Aug 2019

How the 3 main windows fits very well on a laptop, drag and drop to rack or sequencer.

I love how so many different parts fits so well into a unity, from RE shop/account, vst integration in the rack, how the mixer is constructed wirh the instant basics, how send effects are handled as sends or just drag as an insert, combinator magic, how fun it is to use it, how every device has its own look, how well implemented many things are, and the tuner, cabling option, the reasonable layout, players, blocks, pitch editor, slice edit mode, Groove mixer, the deepness that allows one to digg and learn and get more creative into infinity, tje way automation works, cartonish/retro game colorfullness stimulating playfullness, reliability, backwards compability, both on OSx and Windows etc.
Last edited by Yonatan on 29 Aug 2019, edited 2 times in total.

ProfessaKaos

28 Aug 2019

The fact that it can zone my mind out from the world into a ultimate pleasurable mind state of creation.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

boingy

28 Aug 2019

There hasn't been much to love recently but I love that it's going to be a VST. Really, I do

guitfnky

28 Aug 2019

it’s easy to use, but deep AF when you need it to be. once you have a handle on it (which doesn’t take long), it stays out of the way and lets you focus on creating. if it weren’t for those pesky workflow hindrances (they are small, but many), Reason would be an all-around dream to work with. hopefully WILL be...
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

ShelLuser

29 Aug 2019

This is a nice thread indeed, loved reading all the reactions. Ok, here's my take...

Reason 4: The rack itself and its slim and compact design. No full screen for this baby!

Reason 6: Oh my god that mixer section! This was a major game changer for me (different workflow) and I loved it!

Reason 10: Yay, now I'm using version 10 of Reason and Live! ok, ok: a little more serious... I actually enjoy the new browser section, also because it's what Live 9 also introduced to its users.

As of Reason 10 I'm also using a new computer and I really appreciate being able to detach the mixer section and dump that onto my 2nd monitor, it's a really fun way to work with all this (and it could someday persuade me to get a touch screen).

And finally, Reason as a whole... I love its sound! The To me Reason has always been 'sound', even more so than Live (though I really love its instruments and Abletons OIC is IMO legendary (within context ;))). For the record: I'm not just saying, it's because of this belief that I picked up the Mix & Mastering rig last weekend (as well as the Synthetic rig) because I have some serious plans for Reason 10.

So far I am not disappointed :thumbs_up:
Last edited by ShelLuser on 29 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.
--- :reason:

mon

29 Aug 2019

1. Backward compatibility
2. Self contained
3. Easy sample management with refills
4. Easy to reinstall with sync RE
5. VERY robust
6. The CV and audio connectivity options
7. The look
8. The Rex files
... and so on and so on.
Actually almost everything with very few exceptions.
Last edited by mon on 29 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

Creativemind

29 Aug 2019

I like Thor, how easy to understand it is. I love how easy I can lay a guitar down and tidy it up. Takes me about 10 mins to record an intro / verse, bridge, chorus, tidy it all up and structure it. Just wish I could delete a clip part in quamtize view and wish I could see where the transients are in time.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Breach The Sky

29 Aug 2019

It might be because I basically learn't everything I know about music with Reason as my tool. It just feels "natural" to use for me. I actually tried other DAWs, but no other manage to ignite my creativity like Reason does. I hope it has a long future ahead..

Creativemind

29 Aug 2019

Breach The Sky wrote:
29 Aug 2019
It might be because I basically learn't everything I know about music with Reason as my tool. It just feels "natural" to use for me. I actually tried other DAWs, but no other manage to ignite my creativity like Reason does. I hope it has a long future ahead..
I feel the same. Apart from Reason I've tried Logic, FL Studio, Reaper, Cakewalk, Studio One, Ableton, Garageband, Pro Tools First and Cubase but apart from FL Studio and a bit with Logic, non of them inspire me like Reason.

There are about 40 features (midi and audio editing, sequencer, browser, mixer, VST, Device updates (Subtractor, Thor, Kong, ReDrum, Combinator, NN-XT and Scales & Chords) and Themes Affect the mixer that I want and I would be set. Sounds a lot but joining midi notes, remove the arrows off the midi notes, unselect all, autosave etc are only little features.

My top few most wanted features:-

Cloning Clips
Audio to Midi in Polyphonic
Time / Ruler Markers
Undo History
Midi Chase
Joining notes
Auditioning audio clip parts with speaker tool in sequencer
Remove Arrows off midi notes
Themes Affect mixer
Tempo Detect and Fit to Tempo for audio
Sync Browsers and Windows
Manual parameter inputs + copy & paste
Scan VST folder while Reason is still open
Label and easily shuffle send fx
Consolidate clips in bounce in place
Mono options in bounce & bounce in place
NN-XT 2
Thor 2
Kong 2

That's it for me.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

scratchnsnifff

29 Aug 2019

What I love about Reason is the simple way to get complex results

Reason is underwhelming in certain areas, but with some smart cabling you can move past the barriers. Best part is that the knowledge you gain from Reason can translate anywhere.

Also, I love Thor. That’s one of my favorite synths of all time. The brilliance in having 6 oscillators with the ability to move past the hardwired audio path can be much fun.

You can use Thor’s mod matrix to make a nice stereo sound or you can get better FM using the matrix as well!
Thor is an all time favorite
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

BigPictureSound

29 Aug 2019

I like working out the logic when creating new, complex signal chains. That, and the SSL console. Not because it’s styled after the SSL (which I have no experience with), but because every processing tool I might need when mixing is already in the strip, ready to go with no additional plugins to load. It’s really a time saver, and very CPU efficient.

moggadeet

30 Aug 2019

I like most is how Reason allows me to experiment with audio and CV routing through cabling. I had most fun with it while trying to come up with combinators that perform any function that picks my interest from the Youtube tutorials I browse through. I think it is the perfect environment to learn about producing and mixing audio: I am glad I chose it as my first DAW.

• Information