Scratching, timecode and sampling with Reloop and Traktor

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Sorcerer

16 Aug 2019

Hello,

Apologies in advance for my unenlightened state!

I cannot find any 'tutorials' that show how I can use my turntable for sampling and scratching (both!) in reason 10. I played around with the sound device preferences to no avail. I have a Reloop 7 with Traktor Z2. Everything works fine but 'outside' of Reason 10. I haven't found the way to have them working inside of Reason.
Also, how do I set up Reason for scratching using timecode with Traktor Pro 3?

Many thanks!

Sorcerer

17 Aug 2019

What must I do if I want to add scratch cuts to my Reason track?
Is it possible to have Traktor running inside of Reason?
If not, how can I used timecoded scratching inside of Reason?

For instance at this very moment, I have a track I'm working on open in Reason, but I can't "link" Traktor (or scratch related activities) to Reason!

Pardon my ignorance in this matter but I would like to understand what I must do to be able to move forward.

gullum

17 Aug 2019

the timecode signal is read by tractor and it is not the same for Serato, Cross DJ, Virtual DJ, or Rekordbox, Reason does not read timecode so now you can't use it inside reason.
What you need to do is connect Traktor Z2 output to an input on your computer. will probably need an other interface for reason because you can't use the Traktor Z2 for traktor and reason at the same time at least I don't think you can.
then you do your scratching with Traktor and record it in reason as audio.

Sorcerer

18 Aug 2019

Hi, thanks a lot for the advice.

My Z2 is already hooked up to my computer so I'm not sure I fully understand when you say I have to connect it to an input.

Also, what do you mean by interface? Software, hardware?

I had another question, not on timecode but just plain sampling from my turntable into reason. I haven't figured it out.

One last comment. I think I understand this much: basically I have to produce the music in Reason, then export it, then upload it to Traktor 3 and only then can I start adding scratches to my beat. That is very disappointing and is really terrible in terms of workflow.

Thanks again.

gullum

18 Aug 2019

what I mean with an interface is another soundcard. because I don't thing you can make it work with only Z2.
so you need to connect the output from Z2 to the input on another soundcard, maybe you can connect to the input on your computer.
There is no way to controll timecode in reason so what you need it to get the sound from Traktor 3 out from the computer through Z2 then back into Reason another soundcard or builtin soundcard to record the scratching you do in Traktor into Reason.

hope that is more clear

Sorcerer

24 Aug 2019

Thanks.

So the output from the Z2 would be 2 RCAs to an additional soundcard and from the soundcard to the computer?

Do you have any examples (models, brands)?

Cheers.

Sorcerer

25 Aug 2019

Still trying to figure out specifically which piece of equipment I need to match my needs.

From looking at the back panel of the Z2, I understand that my choices are limited to either 1) RCA, 2) USB (usb hub) or 3) XLR (booth). I guess there's only 1 out of the 3 options that works and which I need.

Ok, so what do I need... what will 'work'? RCA to usb, usb to usb? ...?

With that question in mind, I checked out PreSonus' equipment and they have different 'categories'. I am wondering which category suits my needs: 1) 'Audiobox Interfaces' or 2) 'Studio series'.

I just want to relay the sound from the Z2 to Reason 10. Will a Presonus AudioBox USB 96 allow me to do that?

Additional question: I have an old Presonus FireStudio...So hypothetically speaking, can I connect the Z2 to the the Firestudio with the 'Booth' RCA and then from the FireStudio to my pc (firewire)?

Cheers.

• Information