How many subscriptions do you have? Anything

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Jmax

16 Aug 2019

I"ve never been a subscription kind of guy. But that's changed this year. With everything up in the cloud, subscriptions are the way to go.
What do you guys/gals have?

1. Netflix (Premium 4k) (16.99 CND)
2. Amazon Prime (100 per year CND)
3. Spotify (10.99 CND)
4. Arcade (Output) (10 US?)
5. Loupcloud (my latest sub) (6.99 US)

reggie1979

16 Aug 2019

Netflix
Prime
Slate
CBS

And sometimes groove 3

Jackjackdaw

16 Aug 2019

I don’t mind subs for services but I hate them for software.
I have : MS Office for the Onedrive storage, Apple Cloud because my 16gb iPad doesn’t fit my photo albums on, Apple Music and Audible to keep me sane at work.

diminished
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2019

Zero. Netflix is paid with gift cards. And I plan to keep it that way.
Adobe was and still is a tough one to avoid.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

PhillipOrdonez

16 Aug 2019

Zero. I don't even watch Netflix.

reasonsuser88

16 Aug 2019

YouTube $11.99
Plugin Alliance $16.99
Audible $14.99
Splice $7.99
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

motuscott

16 Aug 2019

Death on the Installment Plan
That'll cover my needs.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

rgdaniel

16 Aug 2019

Netflix
Photoshop (courtesy of my wife who only wanted Lightroom)
Groove 3 (in for a year but probably won't renew)
Curiosity Stream
Inoreader
Acronis
XpressVPN
Malwarebytes
Dropbox

I subscribe to phone service (mobile and - for now, still - land line).
No cable TV, but definitely cable internet.

I subscribed to several woodworking magazines until my cataracts got so bad I couldn't read them. Can see fine now, but never renewed, I get enough online content.

It gets into a gray area of what's a subscription and what's just an online service? Like I pay Inoreader to send me news feeds, but I pay Flickr and Soundcloud (e.g.) so I can upload my own stuff.

boingy

17 Aug 2019

None. The reason all of these companies are keen to sucker users into subscriptions is because they know they will earn more money from you in the long run.

reasonsuser88

17 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
17 Aug 2019
None. The reason all of these companies are keen to sucker users into subscriptions is because they know they will earn more money from you in the long run.
Splice - I'm buying any sound I want for 8 cents vs buying a bloated sample pack. Big sucker here. The service makes the production process more exciting. Somebody like me who makes around ten tracks per month can greatly benefit from spicing up the sample end of production. I guess this depends on level of productivity and not for those people who produce only one track per month.

Audible - one exhangeable book every month for $14.99 isn't up for debate.

Plugin Alliance - $16.99 a month for their whole line is pretty sweet. Their good plugins are priced in the hundreds. Eight production sessions a month is a little over two bucks a day to have virtually unlimited mixing capability. I suppose this is debatable for people who don't really produce music or for those who don't require mixing power. The Shadow Hills mastering compressor pursuaded me which is priced at $299. They continue to release new plugins and update their plugins as well. A subscription service for something like Rack Extensions wouldn't make sense because they are so stagnant.

YouTube - The functionality is worth it for me at $11.99. I spend A LOT of time here and I don't have television or other media subscriptions. This is a learning resource (music production), a self help tool (ex con VLOGS) and a source of entertainment (cash me outside how bout dat).

boingy

17 Aug 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
17 Aug 2019
Somebody like me who makes around ten tracks per month...
It was not my intention to offend. The subscription model works because people always think they will make more use of it than they actually do. Most people will not be producing 10 tracks per month and everyone will have months where they do hardly anything but where that subscription still ticks along. It's a bit like most people would be better off with PAYG phones rather than contract ones because they don't use anywhere near their allowances each month.

It's a free world and I've no problem with people choosing the subscription route. I just think that the majority of subscribers do not get value for money out of it.

dioxide

17 Aug 2019

Adobe Creative Cloud

DougalDarkly

17 Aug 2019

Deleted
Last edited by DougalDarkly on 09 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

reasonsuser88

17 Aug 2019

DougalDarkly wrote:
17 Aug 2019
None - I think the only one on the list that causes me a headache from time to time though is Spotify.

Not having (even a free account) subscription to Spotify means sometimes I can't hear people's music. It's something I don't think I would do personally, posting a link to a sign-up page instead of a web-player of some kind seems off-putting. I think Soundcloud, Youtube, even Clyp-it or Dropbox or whatever links are preferable because they're public?

Sorry I got off-topic a bit there - no subscriptions here!
Spotify pisses me off and I have no interest in having a sub there. I'm working with an artist who is actively promoting his music on Spotify and I absolutely hate it. I'm not sharing Spotify links with my people.

I forgot I bought a 200 GB Google Drive plan for a year at $29.99. It was due to an emergency hardware issue and I won't be renewing next year.

I also have a subscription to Huel which is a food replacement. That probably isn't relevant here but I figured I'd mention it. That is around half of my diet and I get it delivered to me every two weeks at $64.

Jmax

17 Aug 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
17 Aug 2019
boingy wrote:
17 Aug 2019
Splice - I'm buying any sound I want for 8 cents vs buying a bloated sample pack. Big sucker here. The service makes the production process more exciting. Somebody like me who makes around ten tracks per month can greatly benefit from spicing up the sample end of production. I guess this depends on level of productivity and not for those people who produce only one track per month.

Audible - one exhangeable book every month for $14.99 isn't up for debate.

Plugin Alliance - $16.99 a month for their whole line is pretty sweet. Their good plugins are priced in the hundreds. Eight production sessions a month is a little over two bucks a day to have virtually unlimited mixing capability. I suppose this is debatable for people who don't really produce music or for those who don't require mixing power. The Shadow Hills mastering compressor pursuaded me which is priced at $299. They continue to release new plugins and update their plugins as well. A subscription service for something like Rack Extensions wouldn't make sense because they are so stagnant.

YouTube - The functionality is worth it for me at $11.99. I spend A LOT of time here and I don't have television or other media subscriptions. This is a learning resource (music production), a self help tool (ex con VLOGS) and a source of entertainment (cash me outside how bout dat).
Is Audible, audio books? I've been curious about trying some of those if you recommend the service?

Yes I think I may try the YouTube sub at one point, but find I can get away with a pop up blocker so that takes care of most of the ads. However it would be nice to close the YouTube phone app and still be able to listen to it's music.

I had a sub with splice for a while. Really liked it. I may have to return at some point. I think they possibly have a larger library then Loopcloud? more diverse I believe. I do like the track Layering and new VST's of the Loopcloud system.

Jmax

17 Aug 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
17 Aug 2019
DougalDarkly wrote:
17 Aug 2019
None - I think the only one on the list that causes me a headache from time to time though is Spotify.

Not having (even a free account) subscription to Spotify means sometimes I can't hear people's music. It's something I don't think I would do personally, posting a link to a sign-up page instead of a web-player of some kind seems off-putting. I think Soundcloud, Youtube, even Clyp-it or Dropbox or whatever links are preferable because they're public?

Sorry I got off-topic a bit there - no subscriptions here!
Spotify pisses me off and I have no interest in having a sub there. I'm working with an artist who is actively promoting his music on Spotify and I absolutely hate it. I'm not sharing Spotify links with my people.

I forgot I bought a 200 GB Google Drive plan for a year at $29.99. It was due to an emergency hardware issue and I won't be renewing next year.

I also have a subscription to Huel which is a food replacement. That probably isn't relevant here but I figured I'd mention it. That is around half of my diet and I get it delivered to me every two weeks at $64.
What was it about Spotify that pisses you off? I can agree they pay the artists piss poor money, but almost all of the streaming companies do. Other then that I am really discovering a wealth of music on Spotify and generally like the way everything is laid out.

I also have a sub with Google Drive as well. The 1TB at 1.99 a month. Your 200 GB ain't bad either. I'm up to using 25 percent of the space. I have to laugh when Dropbox sends me an email that I've run out of space at 15gb or whatever it is. Never again.

reasonsuser88

17 Aug 2019

Jmax wrote:
17 Aug 2019
Is Audible, audio books? I've been curious about trying some of those if you recommend the service?
Yes. I listen to an audio book when I'm working like Jackjackdaw said to keep me sane. It is a straightforward service and you can download the audio books.
Jmax wrote:
17 Aug 2019
However it would be nice to close the YouTube phone app and still be able to listen to it's music.
Yep most of my usage is on mobile and I like to do other stuff too while watching and listening.
Jmax wrote:
17 Aug 2019
I had a sub with splice for a while. Really liked it. I may have to return at some point. I think they possibly have a larger library then Loopcloud? more diverse I believe. I do like the track Layering and new VST's of the Loopcloud system.
I think I read somewhere that Splice has a larger library than Loopcloud but that track layering does seem nice. Competition is good because they will both grow.
Jmax wrote:
17 Aug 2019
What was it about Spotify that pisses you off?
Same reason that Dougaldarkly mentioned. Some people don't have Spotify and don't want to bother with using a web player. I don't even use Spotify so I can't really say the platform itself pisses me off but rather that my artist is not reaching potential listeners by sticking with Spotify. This is an underground artist who is lucky to get somebody to click on a link so it is beyond me why anybody in this situation would want to create a hassle for potential listeners.

BRIGGS

17 Aug 2019

I dropped all my unimportant subscriptions to keep my bills low. Now I have a nice little nest egg in case of a rainy day.

Now a rainy month came, and my quality of life has not changed.

Hard asset investing is good for you, and your family.
Last edited by BRIGGS on 17 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.
r11s

reasonsuser88

17 Aug 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
17 Aug 2019
I dropped all my unimportant subscriptions to keep my bills lows. Now I have a nice little nest egg in case of a rainy day.

So what are the important subscriptions?

BRIGGS

17 Aug 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
17 Aug 2019
BRIGGS wrote:
17 Aug 2019
I dropped all my unimportant subscriptions to keep my bills lows. Now I have a nice little nest egg in case of a rainy day.

So what are the important subscriptions?
4g unlimited data plan. I deliver food for a living.

Does car insurance count too? : )
r11s

BRIGGS

17 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
16 Aug 2019
Adobe can go kick rocks!!!

So glad I switched to GIMP!
r11s

NekujaK

17 Aug 2019

Netflix
Amazon Prime

And the usual: cell phone, internet, cable-tv.

Photoshop and Lightroom are frozen at CS6 for me, because I refuse to subscribe to software. However, a couple of years ago, I did do a 1-year sub for Boris Continuum, mostly as a cost-effective way to try out the plugins. The focus of my work has temporarily shifted away from video, but when it resumes, I will be purchasing Continuum.

I think it's great when companies offer the option to purchase or subscribe, but when they go subscription-only, I'm out.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

diminished
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
17 Aug 2019
diminished wrote:
16 Aug 2019
Adobe can go kick rocks!!!

So glad I switched to GIMP!
Not an option for me unfortunately, but I still refuse to upgrade from the last non-subscription standalone versions of Lightroom and PS there are. Fuck subscriptions.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2019

One of the checkboxes when selecting a girlfriend is that she’s got a Netflix account and allows you to use her password. My current girlfriend has given me her password but I’m already using my ex-wife’s account :).
Oh yeah...Apple Music. Gotta have for the long drives to and from work.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information