Poll: If Reason Didn't Exist, What DAW Would You Use?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?

If Reason Didn't Exist, What DAW Would You Use?

Logic Pro X
20%
Pro Tools
1%
Studio One
11%
Ableton Live
28%
Cubase Pro
8%
FL Studio
4%
Reaper
4%
Bitwig Studio
18%
MOTO Digital Performer
No votes
Mixcraft Pro Studio
No votes
Other (could be an iPad app or something like Korg Gadget I suppose)
7%

Total votes: 111
motuscott

12 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
12 Aug 2019
motuscott wrote:
12 Aug 2019
I may finish a song.
Steady on, dear boy. Don't go doing anything rash.
Teehee. Not a chance
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
12 Aug 2019
MrFigg wrote:
12 Aug 2019

Seriously??!
Yeah man if it's a good price. I'm unhappy with my Fostex 160, the routing doesn't make any sense and it's hard to get a grasp on what buttons are pressed etc.

Unless you mean by "seriously", that it's bogus to ask because you'll NEVER sell :D

But I guess the shipping costs would make no sense anyway and I should probably check locally for an alternative to my Fostex.
Shipping was the first thing that came to mind. I also suspect that the rubber rollers may have dried out as happened with my Nakamichi. :( sad face.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

kinkujin

13 Aug 2019

I voted for 'other' as once my love of being in a dedicated studio space dies, if it ever should, i'll be on ios strictly. By that time it should be sufficiently mature. I love ios music making - take it with you to the couch, yard, kitchen table. Awesome.

MannequinRaces

13 Aug 2019

kinkujin wrote:
13 Aug 2019
I voted for 'other' as once my love of being in a dedicated studio space dies, if it ever should, i'll be on ios strictly. By that time it should be sufficiently mature. I love ios music making - take it with you to the couch, yard, kitchen table. Awesome.
Some great apps on iOS! The portability is very cool. Processing power seems like the biggest bottleneck.

hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2019

bitley wrote:
12 Aug 2019
I used to really like Logic Pro until I realized you can't update it; you need to obtain a new license.
Just to clarify, and to not scare off any potential new Logic users, you must mean the old Logic 9, because after purchasing Logic Pro X I've never had problems updating nor have I ever had to pay for an update in SIX YEARS.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

reggie1979

13 Aug 2019

Studio One. It's a quite capable DAW with some nifty features. Thankfully, Reason DOES exist though (phew! )

tronam

13 Aug 2019

hurricane wrote:
13 Aug 2019
bitley wrote:
12 Aug 2019
I used to really like Logic Pro until I realized you can't update it; you need to obtain a new license.
Just to clarify, and to not scare off any potential new Logic users, you must mean the old Logic 9, because after purchasing Logic Pro X I've never had problems updating nor have I ever had to pay for an update in SIX YEARS.
Not to mention at 1/5th the price. I remember paying more than a $1000 for Logic Audio Platinum back in the day.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

HeavyViper

13 Aug 2019

Music 2000. :V :V :V

Serious answer: probably Cubase or Renoise.
Sound Designer and Composer :reason: FM+PSG Chip Sorcerer
https://heavyviper.bandcamp.com

doze

13 Aug 2019

Good thing we don't really need to worry about this ;)

MannequinRaces

14 Aug 2019

doze wrote:
13 Aug 2019
Good thing we don't really need to worry about this ;)
It really is. I’ve enjoyed looking at what the competition has to offer though. There’s some cool software out there. I’m trying not to get into ‘the grass is greener over there’ mindset.

reddust

14 Aug 2019

I'd take Ableton Live because it's the one I've been using before coming back to Reason and I think it's pretty easy to use and light on the CPU.

I've used Cubase in the past but I don't think I'll ever go back to Cubase. And I've heard good things about Studio One, but never tried it myself. So my first choice would definitely be Ableton Live.

Faastwalker

15 Aug 2019

It's not a question I'm comfortable contemplating! :-/

MannequinRaces

15 Aug 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
15 Aug 2019
It's not a question I'm comfortable contemplating! :-/
Yeah, there'd be a huge hole in my heart if there were no Reason. Long live Reason!

motuscott

15 Aug 2019

The sleep of reason produces monsters. ~Goya
Wonder what DAW the other painting masters used.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

ortxedys

15 Aug 2019

I voted for Bitwig because it’s the only DAW on this list I would put money into. Besides that, im pretty content with Reason.

A DAW I quite like (which is a little less well know) is MuLab. If nobody else here has tried it, it’s pretty awesome. No install on windows. You just download the app and launch it. It’s fairly priced compared to some of the other DAW’s on this list too.
Last edited by ortxedys on 15 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

zoidkirb

15 Aug 2019

motuscott wrote:
15 Aug 2019
The sleep of reason produces monsters. ~Goya
Wonder what DAW the other painting masters used.
Goya - 'Reason devours (Rebirth+ Record) it's sons'

Jmax

16 Aug 2019

Probably Ableton LIve for the clip launching and supreme sample editing, haven't had time to play with Max yet.
Studio One 3 is the other DAW I know how to use. I'll really pretty and streamlined with a ton of features I have no clue how to use.
The DAW that really impresses me is FL Studio. I've seen so many cool YouTube vids on it and a couple friends have it. But there is a bit of a learning curb. It's just so well thought out and put together.
But nothing will ever replace Reason, all mighty!

EdGrip

16 Aug 2019

I went for Bitwig.
I've long fancied getting Live, to have alongside Reason.
So if Reason didn't exist, Bitwig seems like a good compromise between the Liveness of Live and the modularity of Reason. That's my thinking. ;)

MannequinRaces

16 Aug 2019

EdGrip wrote:
16 Aug 2019
I went for Bitwig.
I've long fancied getting Live, to have alongside Reason.
So if Reason didn't exist, Bitwig seems like a good compromise between the Liveness of Live and the modularity of Reason. That's my thinking. ;)
That’s what I’m thinking too. Bigwig was made by ex-Ableton engineers, the new Grid features and the way modulation is handled in the program would make it a good choice.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2019

I have no idea actually. Haven't tried many of them. I would not pick Pro Tools. That's all I know. Some friends use it and it just feels totally uninspiring.
Also tried Reaper a long time ago. I guess it was alright but I would rather try something else.

Maybe I would try out FL Studio or Ableton. They just seem to be geared toward the electronic music makers the most.

Jackjackdaw

16 Aug 2019

Cubase with Retrologue 2, Arturia Pigments and Groove Agent would see me through.

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2019

If Reason didn't exist I'd probably be running bigwig on linux :)

rgdaniel

16 Aug 2019

If Gibson didn't exist I'd still be using Opcode Studio Vision. But that's another story.

Dante

17 Aug 2019

Harrison Mixbus 32C - a big omission from the original vote list IMHO. Mainly because Im already using it to mix stuff done in Reason anyway. Theres no way I would go back to CuBloat

Creativemind

17 Aug 2019

Oquasec wrote:
12 Aug 2019
FL Studio.
That was my vote. It was a toss up between that and Logic but don't necessarily want a Mac and FL Studio is a soooo fast to get stuff down as well as really awesome and feature-full.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

• Information