Loopcloud 5.0 released - with subscription model

Discuss VST stuff here!
diminished
Competition Winner

12 Aug 2019

I don't know how I should feel about that. I enjoyed them the way they were, as an alternative to Splice.
If you don't update, you won't get any new free samples.
You can now choose the free samples yourself, from a pool they let you choose from (meh), which is probably the only good news.
Here's a copy&paste from the little window you see before upgrading from within Loopcloud 4.
I highlighted the relevant bits for your convenience.
Loopcloud 5 - Everything is possible - upgrade now

Essential information for Loopcloud 4 users
What's new? New UI; waveform previews; faster, better search; product search; multi-track editing; metering; effects; better undo; compact mode; faster audio loading and a lot of bug fixes.

But you should also know about...

Subscription
Loopcloud is still available free. But subscribe and get access to our 8 track editor, effects, cloud storage, VST instruments, more free content, saving patterns and points to use for new sounds each month. Read more at loopcloud.com.

Not ready to subscribe? Then you'll be pleased even the free version is probably the best sample manager available.

Note that free-users can no longer save patterns created in the editor. But that's the only new restriction, and we've added loads of presets so hopefully it is not a terrible hardship.

Home screen changes and combined search
The store and user library are better integrated.

The store appears when you open the app. And the (faster, better) search box searches your library and the store simultaneously.

Miss the old view? Click the 'user library' button (or configure a shortcut in Preferences).

We think, especially as a subscriber with points to spend each month) the combined approach makes more sense than separate store and library searches. You can more likely to get new results you've not heard before.

New inspiration content
Instead of us picking sounds for you: select ANY pack and find free content.

Free users can choose 5 free sounds a day, but that number increases with each subscription level (see loopcloud.com for details).

Want to browse all the free content, just type 'fr' into the search box and select the free tag from the menu that appears.

Your old free content is in the old NEW INSPIRATION FROM LOOPMASTERS folder but the folder may have moved into alphabetical order with your other folders and won't be at the top of your library any more.

Dark theme
We've gone for a fresh light look to the app.

If that spoils the dim ambience of your night-time creativity you'll be pleased to know a dark theme will be available in a few weeks.

Points change
We are simplifying the pricing. The price of samples will be reduced and your current points balance will be reduced too. But it works in your favour: you'll be able to buy more content with your existing points.

The only radical change is that if you don't subscribe you can no longer buy more points. If you want to pay-as-you-go though you can still buy packs on loopmasters.com and they will appear in Loopcloud.

Feedback
Any problems with it drop us an e-mail to support@loopmasters.com or there's Loopcloud facebook group you can post on. Do I need to update?

You should update.

But if for some reason you aren't ready to upgrade, Loopcloud 4 will continue working as your sample manager but without new free inspiration content and support.

And at some point in the future the store will be disabled for LC4 users (it uses old slower technology that isn't needed for Loopcloud 5).

Find out more about Loopcloud 5 at www.loopcloud.com
Promo video for those of you who don't know Loopcloud:
Last edited by diminished on 12 Aug 2019, edited 2 times in total.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

diminished
Competition Winner

12 Aug 2019

Pricing (screenshot from website):
loopcloud5pricing_20190813.PNG
loopcloud5pricing_20190813.PNG (86.12 KiB) Viewed 7570 times
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Boombastix
Competition Winner

12 Aug 2019

It is pretty much only good stuff. Still free if you want + you now get two tracks :thumbs_up: :lol: :thumbs_up: . Or $8 bucks / mo get you 100 points + a ton of new useful features, but what does the points buy? They do not say!? :shock:

If you want points to buy you can just activate and use it up for the month, and then deactivate, just like Splice or Sounds.com. I don't see a problem with it, and if you have points that rolls over you just pay for two months / yr to keep it perpetually activated, that's $16/yr, not much for what Loopcloud VST does and you get 200 points to spend. Huge amount of value right there.

But what is the value of a point... Is it like Splice 1 point = 1 sample, or is it tiered? Guess we will find out soon enough. I'll hold off for a few days to hear how things work, bugs n stuff, and what the pricing structure actually is.
Also, will my old LC 4 patterns be accessible in LC 5?
Can I still run LC 4 if I need to?

Loopcloud 6??
Maschine type sequencing.
Add VSTs
Pay for high end native plugins
An AKAI made Loopcloud hw controller.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

boingy

13 Aug 2019

Interestingly I used to have 500 points in Loopcloud 4 (that came free when I registered) but now it is showing 167 points. 500 points used to cost £5 but now 100 points costs £4.99 so they have adjusted the exchange rate.

Picking a random sample pack in the store gives me the option of buying it for 1165 points or buying individual samples and loops from it for 2 points each.

I'm currently downloading V5 onto my laptop. If it annoys me I'll stick with V4 on my main PC. I only really use it to catalogue my (huge) sample collection so Loopmasters are never going to get rich off me!

Loque

13 Aug 2019

Uhh...ohh...thanks for that information. For me the dead point is:
...search box searches your library and the store...
Mmmmnnnoooo thanks :thumbs_down:

Sounds like they want me to force to make more in-app-purchases and this is one thing, that makes me really aggressive :x
Reason12, Win10

dezma

13 Aug 2019

Loque wrote:
13 Aug 2019
...search box searches your library and the store...

Sounds like they want me to force to make more in-app-purchases and this is one thing, that makes me really aggressive :x
This is a major step back. They should at least give the user the choice.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

13 Aug 2019

ADSR Sample Manager is very similar, but doesn't need an internet connection for logging in (Which Loopcloud does). Does do analysis on files as well so there's plenty other options for those who don't want to Loopcloud. Only did ours recently to get the libraries we've purchased down again into one neat location (by why does that have to be on C:... close Loopcloud, cut files, paste new location)

Loque

13 Aug 2019

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
13 Aug 2019
ADSR Sample Manager is very similar, but doesn't need an internet connection for logging in (Which Loopcloud does). Does do analysis on files as well so there's plenty other options for those who don't want to Loopcloud. Only did ours recently to get the libraries we've purchased down again into one neat location (by why does that have to be on C:... close Loopcloud, cut files, paste new location)
Thanks. Maybe its an alternative...
Reason12, Win10

Jmax

13 Aug 2019

I'm actually quite excited by the 5.0 release. I subbed for the 7.99a month option. Mainly for the 10/day free samples you get from pretty much there entire library. (I'm aware they have free samples ever couple of weeks, as I usually go through those as well). Much more variety with the sub though! I'm not sure how all the other stuff fits in yet...Synth and FX, if that would work through the VST etc. If so it would be totally redesigned which I assume it is.
I usually spend $10 to 15 a day on food, coffee or whatever in the summer when I'm working anyway (I work hard). So I'm quite happy paying 7.99 per month US. Adding to my subscriptions. I have Arcade as well, I love their system and layout and how it all fits together. But honestly, I find that a lot of there samples/sounds sound the same or sound lacking in strong character, they all seem to have a weird filter applied as well. The Output "Sound" if you will.. They have a few libraries that are spot on but no so pleased with others.
But I'll probably stick with them for a while anyway as I love the Arcade system and there's only room for improvement with the actual sounds..
Add on netflix and I think that's it for my subscriptions these days. They seem to be growing as is the business model.

J

boingy

14 Aug 2019

dezma wrote:
13 Aug 2019
Loque wrote:
13 Aug 2019

This is a major step back. They should at least give the user the choice.
It's true that the default search covers both the store and your own stuff but the search window has several filter buttons at the top: Store, Library, Loops, One-shots. So it's very quick to filter out the store stuff if you want.

The free account includes 5 free samples per day and you get to choose them from a fairly large list of stuff. The counter resets at Midnight GMT so I guess it is encouraging you to login every day to get your fix of free stuffz.

diminished
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2019

I miss the weekly bundle of free samples. Something to look forward to on fridays.

In the early versions of 4.0, I encoutered a strange phenomenon, that when you close the software and open it again, it would reset the samples available for free. It worked until a few months ago.
As of today, I've accumulated around 36 GB of free samples. All during the rather short life span of version 4. I guess I can't complain.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2019

Looks like the new pricing has gone thru. So, unless you want another drum hit to your 10000+ drum lib, the loops are 2 points ea or more. So around $0.16 ea vs $0.25 before. However Sounds.com and Splice is still at 1 point per sample, so that is around $0.08 ea. All cheaper if you do the bigger monthly package. BUT Loopcloud is the only one with integration and a way to audition the loops in your WiP song, that has sooo much value. But if you want some more US sounds vs type UK sounds, Loopcloud is surprisingly thin in its selection.

Another benefit with Loopcloud is the file names are properly set up with key and bpm. Sounds.com and Splice are a mess in that regard, and no way to audition in sync with your song. They both have a long way to go. I have yet to figure out Sounds.com inside Maschine but I have not seen any audition in sync before you buy, you just have to buy on chance and then see it later inside Maschine as far as I can see. NI gave me two months free at Sounds.com but it will be hard to continue, a vocal sample labeled vocal tenor is only tagged as saxophone and the bpm's are all over the place. Seems uploading is all automated, no human curation of tagging, and the "AI" tagging is not working well enough. Wish I could use my NI $25 coupons for Sounds subscription though, at least they would have some use...

Sounds.com and Splice search function is terrible too to the point that a targeted search gets you 1000's of hits, but just a few % is what you really want, it is difficult to exclude unwanted stuff, and you need to go inside each pack and narrow it down to see if it has something you like, very time consuming and frustrating. I hope Sounds.com and Splice can fix that since they have more interesting sounds, unless you want loads of Loopclouds techno/EDM stuff. Loopcloud also need to get some "exclude" function as well so you can exclude a pack or something else that shows up as unwanted search result so you donät have to scroll through hundreds of useless results.

kitekrazy

14 Aug 2019

Did anyone ever think these are necessary? All it takes is file organization.. I'll pass on this I don't need another iTunes type app.

Loque

14 Aug 2019

kitekrazy wrote:
14 Aug 2019
Did anyone ever think these are necessary? All it takes is file organization.. I'll pass on this I don't need another iTunes type app.
I really liked it. Never found so quick what i was looking for...
Reason12, Win10

diminished
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2019

kitekrazy wrote:
14 Aug 2019
What Loque said. Until the Reason browser gets a desperately needed update, something like the Loopcloud browser with tagging and a database is indispensable.

boingy

14 Aug 2019

kitekrazy wrote:
14 Aug 2019
I've been collecting samples for almost three decades. I have well over half a million of them. That takes more than a bit of file organisation. Do you organise by instrument or genre? Tempo or key? Loopcloud is not perfect but it's pretty damn close. If you install the VSt plug-in you can audition any loop or sample automatically at the tempo of your song then just drag it in to your track. If you find a sample in their shop you like you can buy just that one sample rather than buying the whole sample pack.

And the price is.... free!

I tried ADSR but it's not in the same league.

kitekrazy

15 Aug 2019

I've always separated mine by developer in folders and that's easy since many of them cater to certain genres. I have over 800GB of loops on my system. I think it's time to stop buying them. I have Loopcloud 4 but this one....I may skip.

Jmax

15 Aug 2019

Is anyone currently subscribed? Besides me

If so I'd love to know if the Loopcloud new Drum VST works with Sequences.
I've tested it with Reason's Drum Sequencer and it works great, but of course it only triggers 8 of the 16 possible midi notes, a pity.
I've tested Komplusion which only seems to pick up 4 of the samples.

Talking with Robotic Bean with think that Sequences should capture all 16 midi channels of the Drum VST. But my trial is up and am too poor to buy Sequences before a sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh_BUDVFxwg

The Drum VST is pretty cool, lots of features similar to UMPF, new kits being added all the time.

dmcghee

15 Aug 2019

I have been using Loopcloud from the beginning and my entire sample library is within it by way of my 2 terabyte SSD. I downloaded Loopcloud 5.0 last night and I think it is brilliant. I sync it with Reason 10 and the MPC software 2.6. I think Propellerhead should come out with a browser that samples and loops sync to the tempo and key of the song. I think Loopcloud is a great value plus you can use the Loopcloud browser and 2 tracks for free to work with your production.

Jmax

16 Aug 2019

dmcghee wrote:
15 Aug 2019
I have been using Loopcloud from the beginning and my entire sample library is within it by way of my 2 terabyte SSD. I downloaded Loopcloud 5.0 last night and I think it is brilliant. I sync it with Reason 10 and the MPC software 2.6. I think Propellerhead should come out with a browser that samples and loops sync to the tempo and key of the song. I think Loopcloud is a great value plus you can use the Loopcloud browser and 2 tracks for free to work with your production.
Agreed, I feel like a kid in the candy store when I load up Loopcloud. 6 slots to jam with as well. The 5 update was a nice one and it can only get better from here.

J

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2019

I installed it now. Sigh.

Here are a few things you should know:

[*] the amount of free previews (!!!) per day is limited.
[*] in the search overview: if you "hearted" a few free samples you're interested in, you can not sort by them and eventually have to scroll endlessly until you find the ones you marked (you have to decide on a per-sample basis, remember?)
[*] if you then FILTER by "hearted" with the toolbar, more favorites pop up than you ever selected
[*] "relevant products" pop up while you're narrowing down your search results in the filter toolbar, which makes you accidentally click on stuff
[*] your current library will, for the most part, not be flagged as "already downloaded", which makes you download samples more than once and waste your free downloads
[*] the quality of the preview sounds is worse than before which makes it hard to listen to / analyze if you could even use the sample
[*] once downloaded, the folder hierarchy of the sample pack is preserved - which means that in order to go drop a sample into your DAW at a later point in time, you have to manually click on 5 folders until you can listen to and process your sample

Loopcloud 5 is basically nagware at this point. I DO NOT RECOMMEND.

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2019

[*] when you search for something in your library and click on a tag associated with one of the search results, YOU CAN NOT GO BACK TO YOUR SEARCH RESULTS PAGE! You have to start all over again.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2019

I'm still on LC4 on my main computer, but installed LC5 on the laptop. Was able to browse samples for about 5min each time until it crashed, using the LC5 desktop version (not VST). Only way to use the computer again was to restart! There is a link to start w/o OpenGL and it worked for maybe 4x longer before it crashed. :twisted:

* I cannot see the folder structure when I want to browse a pack (works fine in LC4). You just get everything in random order, you may only be interested in one of the folders of the pack. Sorting by clicking on the title bar headings doesn't work either.
* About not being able to save your patterns: NOT a biggie, you get probably 200 patterns, some with FX. In the free account you can turn off FX but not change any settings. Still that is PLENTY! The patterns I had saved in LC4 did NOT sync and show up in LC5 (will probably not happen even if you install over LC4 on the same computer).
* Most packs I browsed did NOT have any free sample(s) (even though they may have a few samples to download from the website).
* Very difficult to find FREE samples it seems, using the search "FREE" brings up anything with a file name of FREE not the free samples per se.
* I found one pack with a FREE sample, but just one in that pack, not like the 8 or so you can get from the website "taste pack".
* It is unclear if you can go back to LC4 - so use caution before you decide to install. Probably smart to do what I did and wait for more stable updates. I do not recommend installing it on your main computer w/o testing - BEWARE! :shock:

I am not gonna jump in everyday just to get frustrated about getting some hard to find random #¤%&! - not very good use of your time.
Both my computers run Win 10, so not sure why LC5 keeps crashing so much.

Once they get it stable and fix the other bugs/omissions it looks to be a VERY nice update, just not right now (for me). The 50% an annual "Studio" sub after 30d free, looks pretty decent though. Your total cost will be $60 and you get 3900 credits. Typical short loop is 2 cred (or a bit more for longer loops), so that is maybe a whopping 1500 loops in a year, for $0.04 ea. Considering you can cherry pick, that is a lot, if you need it. Splice is about $0.08 ea if you do the $8/mo sub, maybe better content, but worse search and tagging or file naming is a mess in many Splice packs. Sounds.com is even more messy.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Aug 2019
I did not notice that, probably previewed 100 or so, no limit. But I did have crashes. What happens for you? What is the limit?

Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2019

Boombastix wrote:
18 Aug 2019
diminished wrote:
18 Aug 2019
I did not notice that, probably previewed 100 or so, no limit. But I did have crashes. What happens for you? What is the limit?
A new update came out a few days ago. Stability is better on my lap-top, not crashing all the time, but it still happens. I'm not getting any preview limit as far as I can tell, unless it is in the hundreds :lol: Guess I'll update my desktop after the next update. You can search using the "FREE" tag and you'll see the free content only.
You can now sort, but folder view is not there...

Anyhow, it's crazy how useful LC is, but so far the usual YouTubers who review VSTs has not reviewed LC 5 - why? :o :shock: :o

• Information