sync tempo of 2 out of time guitars

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
owlis

11 Aug 2019

Hi. I Been puzzling over this one a bit. Say I have 2 guitar tracks playing at around 100 bpm but not with a click track, just roughly at 100 bpm. What would be the best way to sync one of the guitars to the other? Is there a way to get a track to create slices along with your tapped tempo to only slice on full bars and then maybe line one bar sliced guitar track up with the other one?

Any ideas?
Pete

Mich01

12 Aug 2019

I should make a tempo-track, and adjust the tempo-variations of one guitartrack (by hand).
After that, I should quantize the other track.

You can also try to quantize both tracks, but my experience with doing so is that it is harder to get both track synced to each other.
Greetz Michel

owlis

12 Aug 2019

Thanks. so if I would make a tempo track and adjust the tempo by hand is there a way to set points in the tempo track automation graph every bar while listening to the track using a keyboard shortcut or a remote override?
Alternately is there a way to set the edit slice markers by hand perhaps or at least to control the amount of transients, it is really dense with markers and I only need about 5% of these (one at each bar).
It would be great to be able to place these markers by hand, possible?

Cheers
Pete
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 6.02.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 6.02.25 AM.png (174.8 KiB) Viewed 969 times

boingy

12 Aug 2019

If it's possible the best solution is to re-record at least one of the guitars. You'll save yourself a lot of editing time and end up with something that sounds better. But only if possible.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Aug 2019

This may help.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

12 Aug 2019

Not being able to hear the tracks, in general the easiest approach would be to quantize both guitars to a common tempo grid. If you try this but things don't turn out as expected, then first take each track and align the audio/guitar so that the down beat falls on or close to the first beat of every bar. From there you should be able to quantize the track and have the rest of the parts line up correctly.
Selig Audio, LLC

Boombastix
Competition Winner

12 Aug 2019

A bit of work, but extract the Groove from the take you like and apply it to the other track? You need to get all transient points set correctly first though, on both tracks I believe, so time consuming... I haven't done this so excuse me if this is less than optimal. Just a suggestion.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Zac

12 Aug 2019

Boombastix wrote:
12 Aug 2019
A bit of work, but extract the Groove from the take you like and apply it to the other track? You need to get all transient points set correctly first though, on both tracks I believe, so time consuming... I haven't done this so excuse me if this is less than optimal. Just a suggestion.
I wish we could extract groove from audio but afaik it can only be done from midi data.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

12 Aug 2019

Zac wrote:
12 Aug 2019
Boombastix wrote:
12 Aug 2019
I wish we could extract groove from audio but afaik it can only be done from midi data.
:cool: :cool: :cool:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

owlis

13 Aug 2019

Mr. Figg, the technique described in the Discover video is perfect! Thanks so much I have been looking for something like that for ages.
about 4 minutes is where the technique is described if anyone is interested.

Thank you and everyone else for the suggestions!

Pete

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2019

owlis wrote:
13 Aug 2019
Mr. Figg, the technique described in the Discover video is perfect! Thanks so much I have been looking for something like that for ages.

Pete
It's totally brilliant isn't it :). I used it to record some vocals from an old 4-track tape I did 25 years ago and then put them in sync with newly recorded instruments.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Zac

13 Aug 2019

Boombastix wrote:
12 Aug 2019
Zac wrote:
12 Aug 2019

Yes, well said, not sure how well the groove would be defined for guitar but worth trying :)

Zac

13 Aug 2019

MrFigg wrote:
13 Aug 2019
owlis wrote:
13 Aug 2019

Pete
It's totally brilliant isn't it :). I used it to record some vocals from an old 4-track tape I did 25 years ago and then put them in sync with newly recorded instruments.
Thanks, I hadn't seen that technique before, very nice :thumbs_up:

diminished
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2019

MrFigg wrote:
12 Aug 2019

This may help.
No way! Yes way. I have not seen this video before (why? I thought I knew them all?), that's absolutely brilliant. Thanks for sharing.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

• Information