Adding more buttons in a combinator

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
owlis

08 Aug 2019

Hi does anyone know of a way to assign more buttons inside a combinator to control modulation routing?
For example I am using a rack extension called trance gate from kilohearts which has 8 patterns and 7 resolutions. I assign combinator buttons to control 2 of these at once eg.
triplet 8th notes and pattern 4, when I click button 1
16 notes and pattern 5 when I click button 2
etc...

but there are 7 patterns and only 4 buttons. Is there a device that will allow me to extend the number of buttons that can control multiple parameters? I am trying to create a live music rig with maximum rhythmic flexibility.

Thanks
Pete

rhysonic.com

mjxl

09 Aug 2019

This can probably help you. Maybe trigger the gate via KONG or something.

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rack-extension/now/

Jagwah

09 Aug 2019

owlis wrote:
08 Aug 2019
Hi does anyone know of a way to assign more buttons inside a combinator to control modulation routing?
Yeah you can go to town with Hamu's Mod Panels. Put one inside a Combinator and use the Combi matrix to assign the Mod Panel knobs to your other devices (put them in the Combinator too). Then you can label each knob on the Mod Panel. Let me know if you want me to explain better.

You can also use CV with each knob / slider / button on its back panel, works just as well just depends on your set up.

Here's the '12 CV' version: https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... rol-board/

And here's the rest of the Hamu gear, all free thanks to the late Hakan Muller: https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/bro ... loper=Hamu

owlis

11 Aug 2019

Thanks Jagwah. I'll give mod panels a try!

Cheers
Pete

Jagwah

12 Aug 2019

No problem Happy Reasoning!! : D

dpcoffin

12 Aug 2019

Jagwah wrote:
09 Aug 2019
owlis wrote:
08 Aug 2019
Yeah you can go to town with Hamu's Mod Panels. Put one inside a Combinator and use the Combi matrix to assign the Mod Panel knobs to your other devices (put them in the Combinator too). Then you can label each knob on the Mod Panel. Let me know if you want me to explain better.

Any chance you could upload a demo combinator with this set up? TIA!

Jagwah

13 Aug 2019

dpcoffin wrote:
12 Aug 2019
Jagwah wrote:
09 Aug 2019

Any chance you could upload a demo combinator with this set up? TIA!
For sure, I haven't used them in a while and I don't think I explained very well or even correctly here. I'll get something set up better and post here later.

Jagwah

13 Aug 2019

yep
Attachments
MULTI GATES WITH MOD PANEL.zip
(184.52 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Last edited by Jagwah on 20 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

owlis

13 Aug 2019

Hi Jagwah, thanks for the in depth explanation. That looks like it will do the trick :)

Cheers
Pete

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2019

Personally I would look at adding 2 CV8x4's and a Select CV switch. This will give you 8 combinations, there is nothing stopping you adding more CV8x4's and Select CV switches to build a bank up of all combinations.

In this combinator CV1 is Pattern and CV2 is Resolution, The CV8x4's will need to be dialed in.
CV switching Gate and Note.zip
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

The PoohBear...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tips & Tutorial's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
PoohBears Reason Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

Jagwah

16 Aug 2019

mep

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2019

Jagwah wrote:
16 Aug 2019

Just taking a quick look at your patch I'm not too sure what's going on but if it's worth replacing the example I posted it's probably beneficial for me too, can you explain how it's better for what the OP is asking for?
I've updated the patch as a working example using the Note Echo player.

By selecting the different buttons on the Select CV switch it switches the Repeats and Pitch (in the case of the OP this can be the Pattern and Resolution)

Main benefit over all, it only takes up 2 CV ports, leaving the existing Buttons (and knobs) available on the combinator.

Main advantage over the Hamu is just by looking at the Select CV Switch you know what pattern you have selected (the Hamu got a little confusing as the button could be selected or not for the same condition).

You can easily stack 4 Select CV switches using this method to give a total of 32 patterns.

With a bit of wiring you could extend this to 64 and above patterns (off the top of my head).
CV switching Gate and Note.zip
(4.3 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

dpcoffin

18 Aug 2019

Thanks for the "working example"! But I'm still quite baffled, sorry to say. How exactly did you connect the CV8x4 knobs to knobs on the Note Repeater?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2019

dpcoffin wrote:
18 Aug 2019
Thanks for the "working example"! But I'm still quite baffled, sorry to say. How exactly did you connect the CV8x4 knobs to knobs on the Note Repeater?
CV8x4 -> Select CV switch -> Combinator CV inputs -> combinator matrix ->Note Repeater.

It's doing this sort of thing.

Jagwah

18 Aug 2019

np

dpcoffin

18 Aug 2019

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 Aug 2019
dpcoffin wrote:
18 Aug 2019
CV8x4 -> Select CV switch -> Combinator CV inputs -> combinator matrix ->Note Repeater.

It's doing this sort of thing.

Perfect, thank you; you're a Reason Treasure:)
Ashamed to say I THOUGHT I'd looked at all the Comb. Programmer lanes but for who knows what reason, I'd actually missed clicking on the Default one!

• Information