What does the 'pattern shift' knob on Alligator do?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Jagwah

11 Aug 2019

Just like the title asks, what does this knob actually do?

If it's moving the gate pattern left and right it must be really subtle, because I can't seem to notice it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

MannequinRaces

11 Aug 2019

From the manual: Shift
This will offset the pattern relative to the song playback, moving it “sideways”. The range is ±16 steps, with the step length determined by the Resolution parameter. For example, if you set Shift to -1 with Resolution at 1/16, the pat- tern will be moved one sixteenth note to the left. This means the pattern will play one sixteenth note “early” (the start of the pattern will occur a sixteenth note before the downbeat in the song).

modecca

11 Aug 2019

I like to use 2 instances to get the most of the shift feature.
It can work like a delay/slide in regroove mixer, to make more interesting rhythms:

https://we.tl/t-1agv0RXvAH
Last edited by modecca on 11 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.
🔗💥

Jagwah

11 Aug 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
11 Aug 2019
This will offset the pattern relative to the song playback, moving it “sideways”. The range is ±16 steps, with the step length determined by the Resolution parameter. For example, if you set Shift to -1 with Resolution at 1/16, the pat- tern will be moved one sixteenth note to the left. This means the pattern will play one sixteenth note “early” (the start of the pattern will occur a sixteenth note before the downbeat in the song).
I know I really should have just consulted the manual, thanks.

modecca

11 Aug 2019

Jagwah wrote:
11 Aug 2019
MannequinRaces wrote:
11 Aug 2019
It can work like a delay/slide in regroove mixer, to make more interesting rhythms:

🔗💥

MannequinRaces

11 Aug 2019

Jagwah wrote:
11 Aug 2019
MannequinRaces wrote:
11 Aug 2019
No worries. I think people sometimes forget that the stock devices are in the manual. :)

Creativemind

11 Aug 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
11 Aug 2019
Jagwah wrote:
11 Aug 2019

No worries. I think people sometimes forget that the stock devices are in the manual. :)
:lol:

D'you or anyone else have any examples of where shifting the gate time in this way is useful?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Jagwah

12 Aug 2019

modecca wrote:
11 Aug 2019
Jagwah wrote:
11 Aug 2019

Thanks for the examples hopefully they will help me understand it, will check them out tomorrow :)

Jagwah

12 Aug 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
11 Aug 2019
Jagwah wrote:
11 Aug 2019

Oh I was just being lazy and social :puf_bigsmile:

Jagwah

12 Aug 2019

Creativemind wrote:
11 Aug 2019
MannequinRaces wrote:
11 Aug 2019

:lol:

D'you or anyone else have any examples of where shifting the gate time in this way is useful?
See Modecca's post above, some examples there I think but haven't looked yet.

MannequinRaces

12 Aug 2019

Jagwah wrote:
12 Aug 2019
MannequinRaces wrote:
11 Aug 2019

Oh I was just being lazy and social :puf_bigsmile:
Nothing wrong with that. I haven’t touched Alligator in awhile so I actually played around with it some last night and got some nice results!

Jagwah

13 Aug 2019

OK I think I know why I struggled with this now. When set to pattern zero the shift knob has no effect? Can someone confirm?

Jagwah

13 Aug 2019

For anyone reading this thread here is a cool patch Selig made which can be used instead of alligator's Initialized Patch - which colours your sound drastically. This patch doesn't add any colour, open up the gate and your sound is clear as a bell.
Flat Gator.zip
(738 Bytes) Downloaded 41 times

modecca wrote:
11 Aug 2019
These are cool patches, and they confirm it works as I expected, just not on Pattern 0 (see my post above). Thanks :)

• Information