Vanishing and returning audio question. (quick way to heart attack)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
StrokerX

10 Aug 2019

vanished.png
vanished.png (6.78 KiB) Viewed 486 times

Ok, so I opened a file I had been toiling over and noticed the audio wave form in my audio tracks were gone and sure enough when I clicked play. Notta. Opened a different file where I had already toiled over...just to get to this new file I was toiling over and it too was laughing at me in silence. So I closed Reason and re-opened it. Heart restarts as I see the audio has returned.

Has anyone had this happen and if so has it ever been permanent?
Also...what the shit happened and is there a failsafe to keep this from happening in case it WAS to be permanent? Or am I just looking at saving copies of it constantly?

-the toiler

WillyOD

10 Aug 2019

Did you accidentally delete your Scratch (temp) folder? In this case Reason will have to recalculate the waveform displays, just wait a bit and you'll see them. (You can see the progress bar in the lower right corner).

Actual audio is saved in the .reason file so you'll be ok unless your hard disk crashes.... so always backup ;-)
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

owlymane

10 Aug 2019

StrokerX wrote:
10 Aug 2019
vanished.png

Ok, so I opened a file I had been toiling over and noticed the audio wave form in my audio tracks were gone and sure enough when I clicked play. Notta. Opened a different file where I had already toiled over...just to get to this new file I was toiling over and it too was laughing at me in silence. So I closed Reason and re-opened it. Heart restarts as I see the audio has returned.

Also...what the shit happened and is there a failsafe to keep this from happening in case it WAS to be permanent? Or am I just looking at saving copies of it constantly?

-the toiler
Yes it happens to me quite often. Never permanent. And it's very random. I never paid too much attention to it usually any bugs inside reason I just restart the program or remove and add back an effect or instrument and problem solved. Of course It'd be nice if this bug gets solved at some point :D

WillyOD

10 Aug 2019

In Reason Preferences, Advanced tab, check out the Scratch disk folder.

Maybe you have set it to a temp Windows directory that the OS or some cleanup software empties from time to time?

I'd try changing Scratch folder to another directory and/or a drive, and see if that helps.

(When your waveforms are missing is the calculation button [right above the DSP bar on the bottom] active?)
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

StrokerX

10 Aug 2019

WillyOD wrote:
10 Aug 2019
Did you accidentally delete your Scratch (temp) folder? In this case Reason will have to recalculate the waveform displays, just wait a bit and you'll see them. (You can see the progress bar in the lower right corner).

Actual audio is saved in the .reason file so you'll be ok unless your hard disk crashes.... so always backup ;-)
I've been running low on space lately so I've been deleting my Reason Scratch quite often. I'm on a Macbook Pro and am SERIOUSLY due for a major cleanup....been procrastinating. But worst case was I would notice I'd sometimes have to search for missing sounds. I think maybe since this was the first time deleting my scratch while using edited recorded audio that I really got shook. Just call me Captain Backup now.

StrokerX

10 Aug 2019

owlymane wrote:
10 Aug 2019
StrokerX wrote:
10 Aug 2019
vanished.png

-the toiler
Yes it happens to me quite often. Never permanent. And it's very random. I never paid too much attention to it usually any bugs inside reason I just restart the program or remove and add back an effect or instrument and problem solved. Of course It'd be nice if this bug gets solved at some point :D
I just got scared cause at the worst I'd just have to re-find missing instruments but this time it was edited audio with lots of little adjustments and was afraid if it was just an re-import issue I'd have to re-do all the pitch/timing work too. Thankfully not this time but i'm on double duty now for backups.

• Information