What does the "shift" knob on the Malström exactly do?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Simone Lombardo

10 Aug 2019

The title pretty much says everything. It seems similar to the "pitch" knob, but I don't know what makes it sound different. Maybe it modifies the waveform in some strange way...? IDK.

modecca

10 Aug 2019

Sound like formant shaper in Europa, which in the manual is described as:

• Formant
This simulates a formant (body) filter, which produces multiple peaks and notches in the frequency spectrum of
the signal. The Amount knob controls the formant transposition in the frequency spectrum.
🔗💥

dvdrtldg

10 Aug 2019

My understanding is that it alters the formant of the sound - kind of like manipulating the resonance function on a filter, only it's not actually doing any filtering in the traditional sense of the term

I don't know if that makes sense - when I started typing it out, I thought I had a clear idea but now I'm not so sure lol

MannequinRaces

10 Aug 2019

From the manual: The Shift knob changes the timbre of the sound (the formant spectrum).
What it actually does is change the pitch of a segment up or down by re-sampling. However, since the pitch you hear is independent of the actual pitch of the graintable (see above), pitch-shifting a segment instead means that more or less of the segment waveform will be played back, resulting in a change of harmonic content and timbre.

• Information