Softube won't be making REs anymore :(

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Faastwalker

08 Aug 2019

They make great RE's. Very pricey though. Shame to see them go. On the other hand we have no end of excellent RE developers now making devices for Reason. So it's no biggie. Also, since Reason has supported VST it's probably not worth these companies directing resources for RE development. Saying that I'd always prefer an RE over a VST.

reddust

09 Aug 2019

owlymane wrote:
08 Aug 2019
Music is supposed to connect not isolate. This needs to be implemented in Reason's vision and they need to give their hands and open up more to the other DAWs. It would only bring benefits especially for the consumer.
Totally agree with this :thumbs_up:

Jagwah

09 Aug 2019

Miguel da Wu wrote:
08 Aug 2019
why should well-known manufacturers continue to make RE? Reason support VST. I think that not much will come from such companies.
The RE format is in the future more for the many one man companies.
Yes, why would Softube or any other VST developer re-code their products for the RE format when it's extremely close to the same thing with the same functionality. Also, the porting of VSTs to REs never seemed to be as quick and easy as was advertised in the very beginning.

I assume that's the case, would have been great if they had of expanded on their message, as it doesn't sound too nice worded like that.

Jagwah

09 Aug 2019

hurricane wrote:
08 Aug 2019
Softube won't be making more REs? Talk about the least surprising news of yesterday. I hope you're not sitting there highly anticipating the next Korg RE. :puf_bigsmile:
Haha! I'm still waiting for Sugar Bytes to come back :mrgreen:

miscend

09 Aug 2019

FET, TSAR1 and Trident EQ are all great products.

diminished
Competition Winner

09 Aug 2019

miscend wrote:
09 Aug 2019
Sure, but great enough to spend 500€ on them? Nuh-uh.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

miscend

09 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
09 Aug 2019
miscend wrote:
09 Aug 2019
No wouldn't be a wise investment nowadays especially with VST support you can get effects bundles from IK (T-racks) or Waves (Gold, Platinum, Mercury) for less than 500€. If you plan to stay within the RE ecosystem the McDSP bundles are also good IMO and much better value.

Compared to when I bought the Softube REs, plug-in prices have dropped, so these days I will only buy Softube stuff if there's a good sale. For example I got Tape VST when it was 50% off. But I will say FET is still my favourite 1176 clone and Tsar1 is a top 5 reverb for me.

owlymane

09 Aug 2019

miscend wrote:
09 Aug 2019
diminished wrote:
09 Aug 2019

No wouldn't be a wise investment nowadays especially with VST support you can get effects bundles from IK (T-racks) or Waves (Gold, Platinum, Mercury) for less than 500€. If you plan to stay within the RE ecosystem the McDSP bundles are also good IMO and much better value.

Compared to when I bought the Softube REs, plug-in prices have dropped, so these days I will only buy Softube stuff if there's a good sale. For example I got Tape VST when it was 50% off. But I will say FET is still my favourite 1176 clone and Tsar1 is a top 5 reverb for me.
How do you feel about Tape Miscend ? I'm really considering getting it. But on the other hand I'm aware of the free great alternative Izotope Vinyl. Have you tried both?

miscend

09 Aug 2019

owlymane wrote:
09 Aug 2019
miscend wrote:
09 Aug 2019

How do you feel about Tape Miscend ? I'm really considering getting it. But on the other hand I'm aware of the free great alternative Izotope Vinyl. Have you tried both?
They're quite different, different enough that you could have both in your arsenal. Tape is more of a mix tool for adding some glue and cohesion. Whereas Vinyl is more of a dirt box for adding vinyl crackles and noise. I'd say Izotope Vinyl is more comparable to Audiomatic but much older as its well over ten years old by now.

I really like Softube Tape but wait until it goes on sale. The other tape emus I like are Magnetite, Reel Bus and T-Racks Tape Collection.

scratchnsnifff

09 Aug 2019

hurricane wrote:
08 Aug 2019
Softube won't be making more REs? Talk about the least surprising news of yesterday. I hope you're not sitting there highly anticipating the next Korg RE. :puf_bigsmile:
While it sucks to see it confirmed.

Da hell did blamsoft go?
I really hope PH is going to make use of their RE to hardware interface. Or the potential of RE to vst conversion.(Europa vst)

I’m really dying for another blamsoft device these days, but it’s not looking so good. Just guessing, but I’m assuming they will try out a blamsoft expanse vst. If that were to happen I’d get it, but I love sound design via RE sooooo much more
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

motuscott

09 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
09 Aug 2019
miscend wrote:
09 Aug 2019
In my family we have a saying, I was making good money at the time...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

motuscott

09 Aug 2019

I did just say no to the TriEQ for financial reasons, though it was tempting.
More of a compressorhead anyways
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Loque

09 Aug 2019

motuscott wrote:
09 Aug 2019
Sometimes i think, those device from old times were "that good" for just one reason: All the other stuff was crap!

Now 50 years later...maybe times have changed...i do not see any magic in Trident and all that other stuff...
Reason12, Win10

QVprod

09 Aug 2019

This is to be expected. I wouldn’t expect any VST dev to be making REs anymore. The fact that it looks better and may work (slightly) better in Reason is irrelevant. Reason users have access to buying the VST version so doesn’t make much business sense to create and support a Reason exclusive format with that in mind. At this point I would expect all new RE to be by small devs who probably don’t also make VSTs

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Aug 2019

Loque wrote:
09 Aug 2019
motuscott wrote:
09 Aug 2019
Sometimes i think, those device from old times were "that good" for just one reason: All the other stuff was crap!

Now 50 years later...maybe times have changed...i do not see any magic in Trident and all that other stuff...
Hahahaha. Excellent Loque. It’s so funny because it’s true. Well observed. :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

reggie1979

09 Aug 2019

I've had FET for years. It's great, but yeah I'm not surprised that RE's are not being supported by the bigger companies anymore.

Noplan
Competition Winner

09 Aug 2019

the best product from softtube is the saturation knob and it's for free.
they have done their life's work. no reason to mourn.

owlymane

09 Aug 2019

miscend wrote:
09 Aug 2019
owlymane wrote:
09 Aug 2019

They're quite different, different enough that you could have both in your arsenal. Tape is more of a mix tool for adding some glue and cohesion. Whereas Vinyl is more of a dirt box for adding vinyl crackles and noise. I'd say Izotope Vinyl is more comparable to Audiomatic but much older as its well over ten years old by now.

I really like Softube Tape but wait until it goes on sale. The other tape emus I like are Magnetite, Reel Bus and T-Racks Tape Collection.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply man you made things clearer for me regarding their differences. I'll wait until it goes on sale like you said. Thx again :thumbs_up:

hurricane
Competition Winner

09 Aug 2019

Off the top of my head, here are the major players that will probably never release a RE again.

U-he (confirmed)
FXpansion (it's been a while, time to give up)
Softube (confirmed)
Korg (yeah right)
McDSP (I think they're done)
Audio Damage (one and done)
e-instruments (no more)
Heavyocity (thank goodness)
Izotope (also one and done)
Project Sam (ditto)
Sonic Charge (?)
Soundiron (?)
Synapse (still a chance)
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

reggie1979

09 Aug 2019

It's amazing to me how many RE's were done in the beginning and how good they were. Me thinks something other than it being a closed system is at least part of the problem.

owlymane

09 Aug 2019

For me personally, I wish there were more modern and useful effects in REs such as:

1 - A pitch delay feedback RE
(

2 - a filter high-low pass delay RE (to make that dub techno/dub reggae echo sound effect)
(

3 - a precise pitch RE (khs' pitch RE effect is not octave/semi specific)
3 - An RE that acts like FL Studio's Love Philter to make specific filter LFO shapes and speed
4 - something like Glitch2 or Effectrix RE
5- Something Like FL Studio's Gross Beat

I want to see more modern, striaght to the point, practical REs that save me time and effort and keep me inspired to finish my projects

kitekrazy

09 Aug 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
08 Aug 2019
I really like the FET compressor and the Tube Delay RE's but it is what it is folks. I'm okay with developers abandoning the RE format and I consider myself a realist. Why should they invest their time and resources on Rack Extensions when it is totally unnecessary. Somebody mentioned aesthetics and supporting a freelance market but that doesn't make sense from a business perspective.

PS Plugin Alliance is the way to go for your mixing needs plus more.
Not me. I just got the Izotope MP Suite. I don't get the PA vouchers anymore. I also like Melda because of their licensing. I've only bought REs that can't be found in VST except Kiloharts. I'm not very proficient in Reason so I will probably use their stuff for mixing first.
The advantage for REs is it comes with Reason's flexibility of licenses. I have Reason on 4 machines and with the REs. With Waves I don't have that option unless I buy more licenses. As for Melda and Izotope I don't have a limit.
I only buy REs that are unique and cheap. Since I have a zillion VSTs I only buy Kiloharts as REs.

zoidkirb

10 Aug 2019

hurricane wrote:
09 Aug 2019
Off the top of my head, here are the major players that will probably never release a RE again.

FXpansion (it's been a while, time to give up)
Fxpansion were acquired a few years ago by ROLI so I'd say that's a hard no unless props do some special deal with them.
I think QVprod summed things up best , the big vst companies have zero motivation to make re's now that Reason supports vst also. Hopefully the RE market continues to attract new startup and niche developers.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

10 Aug 2019

owlymane wrote:
09 Aug 2019

2 - a filter high-low pass delay RE (to make that dub techno/dub reggae echo sound effect)
(
Steerpike 3 can do pretty much all that: infnite delay (DDL for clean, BBD to degrade), reverse delay, delay modulation, pre/post/feedback loop LP/BP/HP filter, extra reverb. It's always depressing when people ask for things that are already available and easily as good as anything in the VST world!

eXode

10 Aug 2019

hurricane wrote:
09 Aug 2019

Sonic Charge (?)
Pretty sure that they said that there wouldn't be any more REs, especially after VST support.

EDIT: SonicCharge Forum: Echobode RE/VST parity?
Last edited by eXode on 10 Aug 2019, edited 2 times in total.

• Information