Help with vocal sound

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Sortitoutonsunday

07 Aug 2019

Hello Reason friends!

I've been listening to The Radio Dept. and their record "Lesser Matters" a lot lately and inspired by them I want to try replicating their vocal sound for some new tracks. I can't seem to make it work even how I try though. Anyone want to give me some thoughts or ideas? Here are some songs from that record:

They all sound a little bit different but all of them has some kind of filter to them (seems to be the hardest part to figure out). Most songs from the record have a lot of reverb (tried plate and hall in RV7000 but it doesn't feel right) and vocal harmonies (haven't tried yet but I plan on using Polar since I already have that one). How would you do this in Reason? Preferably with stock or free plugins since I cannot afford anything new atm. I know it won't be exactly the same, but I just want to make music with the same kind of feeling in it.

Thanks!
Reason fanboy since 6.5
:reason: :PUF_balance: :roll:

Despondo
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2019

Cannot view the video in Canada, so I cannot help you... :-(

"Video unavailable
This video contains content from [Merlin] Beggars, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

diminished
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2019

Despondo wrote:
07 Aug 2019
Cannot view the video in Canada, so I cannot help you... :-(

"Video unavailable
This video contains content from [Merlin] Beggars, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."
Same for Germany
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

selig
RE Developer

07 Aug 2019

What I'm hearing:
Sing low and breathy, double (or triple track), smooth compression (you should hear breaths and sibilance), reverb (no pre delay, medium length, try room or plate to start).
Selig Audio, LLC

Djstarski

07 Aug 2019

i would try high filter first to get rid of the lows and some low mids . Then heavy on the compression , bringing out the breaths more . Then try a little high shelf . It`s kind of like a telephone effect to me . And last but not least some distortion or maybe saturation . Just a guess

Sortitoutonsunday

09 Aug 2019

Hmmm.. I didn't know youtube movies had country restrictions.. Does this one work?

Thank you Selig and Djstarski! Much appreciated. I will try this.
Reason fanboy since 6.5
:reason: :PUF_balance: :roll:

diminished
Competition Winner

09 Aug 2019

Sortitoutonsunday wrote:
09 Aug 2019
Hmmm.. I didn't know youtube movies had country restrictions.. Does this one work?
Nope. They probably licensed material to be only broadcasted within national borders, which is sad, but a lot cheaper than worldwide usage rights.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

napynap

15 Aug 2019

To get that squashed EQ sound, try inserting the vocals into the Audiomatic Retro Transformer. There are some similar sounding presets in there to help . Then you can add some more saturation/compression on top of it followed by some verb and ducked delay.
visit http://www.napynap.com to learn more about me. Thank you.

reddust

15 Aug 2019

The songs are available on Apple Music in Germany, so I guess there is also a chance to listen to them in Spotify?

• Information