Lock Akai advance to a track

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
owlis

01 Aug 2019

You know how in the Reason Control Surfaces preferences window, the listed keyboards can be locked to a certain existing instrument? Is there any way to do that with the Akai Advance keyboards.
As far as I can tell it would seem not. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I am trying to set up a Reason based live performance rig with 3 keyboards including the Akai Advance 25, but I fear I might have to get out the anti-corporate proprietary sledgehammer.
8 hours invested so far in trying to make this work somehow. :(

Help!
Pete

artotaku

01 Aug 2019

You can lock one or more control surfaces to a device.

This is done by right-clicking on the device in the rack (or on the track in the sequencer). The popup menu should list any of the available control surfaces for locking ("Lock ..."). Select the one you want to lock.

owlis

01 Aug 2019

Hi artotaku. This is exactly the problem. Akai advance keyboards do not appear in that list.

Cheers
Pete

artotaku

02 Aug 2019

If the Akai Advance keyboard is marked as "Master Keyboard" in the Reason control surface pref settings it will not appear in the list of surfaces that can be used for locking. You have to uncheck this first in the pref settings.

owlis

04 Aug 2019

Akai Advance keyboards do no appear in that list so I can't uncheck "Master Keyboard" because there is nothing to uncheck.

Thanks for answering, anyway :)
Pete

artotaku

05 Aug 2019

Well, now we get to the root of the problem. I assumed that you had installed a remote codec/control surface for the Akai Advance and it shows up in the Reason surface preferences. If there is no control surface/remote codec available or installed for the Akai Advance it will not show up in the preferences.

Typically, Reason comes with a bunch of remote codecs for MIDI controllers that you can choose from but as far as I can see there isn´t a dedicated one for the Akai Advance. Neither on the Akai website support section, which brings us to the following fallback:

One solution would be to use the generic midi controller surface remote codec as described here:

Note that there will only be a restricted featureset of the Akai Advance available (e. g. bidirectional MIDi for LED buttons won´t work).

• Information