Free Izotope Iris with any Purchase

Discuss VST stuff here!

EdGrip

01 Aug 2019

Ah. I was going to be buying TimeShaper anyway - is Iris 2 more trouble than it's worth these days, abandoned as it is? I'll watch some videos.

zoidkirb

01 Aug 2019

EdGrip wrote:
01 Aug 2019
Ah. I was going to be buying TimeShaper anyway - is Iris 2 more trouble than it's worth these days, abandoned as it is? I'll watch some videos.
I bought it a couple years ago and have only used it sporadically. It truly is unique and I want to use it more but that uniqueness stopped me from getting to know it properly so far. Also, it's quite cpu hungry and on my (slightly older) system it's hard to play it live without a bit of noticeable latency. Comes with an optional 10gb of samples to fuel it or you can use your own. The samples are wav's so your free to use them elsewhere.

Jmax

01 Aug 2019

I picked up Iris with some other Tube compressor for 4 bucks.

Honestly, Iris kinda sucks. I mean after you install it which is easy enough. you have to go on the iZotope website and download all the packs - Synth 1 Synth 2, Ambient etc... install those one by one. Ok no problem.
Digging into the actually presets and sounds. Nothing special. A lot of the presets sound tinny or have weird harmonics that don't sit well. None of the patches blew me away. Only a couple of the pads that sound cool. I'm sure there is some other nice stuff in there as well. But the instrument doesn't seem very well laid out.
I'm glad to have it for free, so maybe worth it.
But I uninstalled it, completely uninspired.

zoidkirb

01 Aug 2019

Jmax wrote:
01 Aug 2019

Honestly, Iris kinda sucks. I mean after you install it which is easy enough. you have to go on the iZotope website and download all the packs - Synth 1 Synth 2, Ambient etc... install those one by one. Ok no problem.
Digging into the actually presets and sounds. Nothing special. A lot of the presets sound tinny or have weird harmonics that don't sit well. None of the patches blew me away. Only a couple of the pads that sound cool. I'm sure there is some other nice stuff in there as well. But the instrument doesn't seem very well laid out.
Uninspired lol that's a bit harsh considering it's originality. How many other synths on the market can you spectraly manipulate samples with a set of Photoshop-like tools (paintbrushs, lasso's etc)? If anything it's niche status worked against it's popularity. This ain't no edm preset machine but rather a sound design tool. Fyi you don't need to even install the sample packs in fact it's gonna be more interesting to load up your own samples and going nuts with the paint brush and the multitude of modulation options :)

NekujaK

01 Aug 2019

I got Iris about a year ago, and never used it in a project. The concept is totally cool, the execution is original, but I found the resulting output to be pretty bland and generic sounding. I know there are a lot of peeps who like Iris, but it never clicked for me. I can get better results, quicker with so many other synths. But as a freebie, it's definitely worth picking up and exploring.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

guitfnky

01 Aug 2019

I decided to grab it with a discounted inValve FX (‘tube’ EQ, preamp, and compressor) from a company I’d never heard of. they sound pretty damn good for the $5 I spent.

anyway, Iris seems beastly. the presets I checked out all sounded nice and warm—guessing the harshness others heard on some patches was an intentional sound design decision (it’s certainly not present on all of them—seems like probably just a difference in aesthetic preferences.

I’m not really a synth guy, but this seems like a deeper version of Grain. the interface looks really nice, but it’s going to take awhile to figure out what everything does. if it’s like any of the other synths I have, it’ll sit catching dust for a year or so before I fire it up and figure out “ohhh...*this* is why I bought it!”
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Jmax

01 Aug 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
01 Aug 2019
Jmax wrote:
01 Aug 2019

Uninspired lol that's a bit harsh considering it's originality. How many other synths on the market can you spectraly manipulate samples with a set of Photoshop-like tools (paintbrushs, lasso's etc)? If anything it's niche status worked against it's popularity. This ain't no edm preset machine but rather a sound design tool. Fyi you don't need to even install the sample packs in fact it's gonna be more interesting to load up your own samples and going nuts with the paint brush and the multitude of modulation options :)
That's true mate, I guess I just meant the presets were a little lack-luster. Just my opinion, but you're right the concept is pretty wicked. A little tricky to learn. But you've inspired me to give it another shot.

boingy

02 Aug 2019

I have to say that Iris is one of my most used synths!

I'm a preset surfer so I don't really do any sound design. I'll find something I like and do some minimal tweaks to it. The huge sample library is in normal 24-bit wav files so you can use them in other stuff too. In a world of many synths Iris just connected with me.

I'd say that the PB offer is bargain of the year. You could buy one of the Sonivox Orchestral Companion things for £3.95 and get a free top notch synth for free.

zoidkirb

02 Aug 2019

Jmax wrote:
01 Aug 2019
zoidkirb wrote:
01 Aug 2019

That's true mate, I guess I just meant the presets were a little lack-luster. Just my opinion, but you're right the concept is pretty wicked. A little tricky to learn. But you've inspired me to give it another shot.
I hear ya man . Actually I only recently re installed it after a bit of a hiatus and I was reminded of its clunkiness but also the potential it has. I feel this is a case of being 'free' can really devalue a synth : when I bought it for whatever...$40 or something I did my research beforehand to see if it would be any use and once I lay down cash money for a synth im always gonna try and get value to justify that purchase and therefore spend some proper time unlocking it's workflow.

adfielding

02 Aug 2019

I grabbed it recently for about £30 as I thought it'd be useful to have something a bit different (I think I'm all VA/Wavetable synth'd-out at the moment), must admit I haven't gotten a lot of use out of it but I think as a sound design tool it's capable of creating some interesting textures. I certainly don't regret picking it up, but I'd like to spend a bit more time with it.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2019

It does real time sample time stretch. Nuff said...
Throw in a loop and play different keys/chords, still plays in sync.

But you can also use it as a sample edit FX, and filter out certain frequencies with the drawing tools. Don't think of it as a normal VA synth, this is way niche, but oh sooo good when you need its features.
Free deal for this is just CRAZY!
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

diminished
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2019

What's the best plugin value per money on pluginboutique at the moment, you'd say?

I don't wanna buy any random cheap thing I got zero use for, just to get Iris2.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

boingy

02 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
02 Aug 2019
What's the best plugin value per money on pluginboutique at the moment, you'd say?
Sonivox Orchestral Companion things for £3.95. Choose strings, woodwind or brass.

joeyluck

02 Aug 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
01 Aug 2019
How many other synths on the market can you spectraly manipulate samples with a set of Photoshop-like tools (paintbrushs, lasso's etc)? If anything it's niche status worked against it's popularity. This ain't no edm preset machine but rather a sound design tool. Fyi you don't need to even install the sample packs in fact it's gonna be more interesting to load up your own samples and going nuts with the paint brush and the multitude of modulation options :)
Yeah it's pretty cool, and being a user of RX, the tools are similar. The magic wand selection is handy too and gets cool results.

diminished
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
02 Aug 2019
diminished wrote:
02 Aug 2019
Sonivox Orchestral Companion things for £3.95. Choose strings, woodwind or brass.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't trust a 9GB library of orchestral samples for 5 bucks. And that SSD real estate is reserved for Iris :)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

joeyluck

02 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
02 Aug 2019
boingy wrote:
02 Aug 2019

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't trust a 9GB library of orchestral samples for 5 bucks. And that SSD real estate is reserved for Iris :)
I grabbed Air Riser for $9. Looks cool. Pretty niche. Not anything that can't be done with other synths I suppose. I haven't used it much yet. But that's what I settled on.

One of the things that kept me from buying Iris before was the fact it hadn't been updated in so long. Not that I'm sure it needs an update? But anyways I couldn't turn down this bargain.

strangers
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
02 Aug 2019
boingy wrote:
02 Aug 2019

You don't have to download the Sonivox plugin. I bought Sonivox Strings last month to get Ujam's Dope for free. Didn't even bother downloading the Sonivox plugin I paid $3 for. Real estate unharmed. Thinking of picking up Sonivox Brass to get Iris for a few dollars, too.

diminished
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2019

At first I was looking for vocal samples, but PB is lacking those and even the via PB offered Loopmasters packs suck. Shame.

I might have found a solution: a 2-hour video tutorial for StutterEdit! I use it all the time but only the preset banks. It takes me ages to find an effect I like, so I guess the 20 bucks will be a good investment. But then again, there's Youtube... sigh.

joeyluck

03 Aug 2019

Hey just a heads up, after you get Iris 2, there are additional free patch and sample libraries you can download from your iZotope account here:

https://www.izotope.com/en/account/addons/iris.html
The installers are broken into two groups:

The Core Content installer includes an additional 300+ patches and their complementary samples.
The Sample Library installers contain samples in 7 different sample categories: Abstract, Environments, Instruments, Objects, Synthesizers, Toys, and Voice.

dvdrtldg

03 Aug 2019

Holy shit. I almost passed on this because the last thing in the world I need is another synth. But curiosity got the better of me. I've just been fricking around with it for a couple of hours, no idea what I'm doing, haven't looked at the manual yet. But what a sound design tool, it's mind blowing (I'm just using my own samples, probably won't bother with the iZotope ones because I don't want all that extra weight)

Probably not your go-to synth for cranking out 4/4 club bangers, but as an Impressionistic Weirdness Generator it's an absolute beast

Loque

03 Aug 2019

dvdrtldg wrote:
03 Aug 2019
Holy shit. I almost passed on this because the last thing in the world I need is another synth. But curiosity got the better of me. I've just been fricking around with it for a couple of hours, no idea what I'm doing, haven't looked at the manual yet. But what a sound design tool, it's mind blowing (I'm just using my own samples, probably won't bother with the iZotope ones because I don't want all that extra weight)

Probably not your go-to synth for cranking out 4/4 club bangers, but as an Impressionistic Weirdness Generator it's an absolute beast
You should check out the patches...
Reason12, Win10

Soft Enerji

04 Aug 2019

Thanks to the OP I now have another instrument that I'll probably never get my head around :puf_bigsmile: After getting NI Komplete recently I didn't think I'd need anything else but have to say Iris is something I've looked at for a while, just never justified it to myself so I spent just over 10 Aussie on some reverb that I can't even see in Reason (although it shows in Sonar???) and got it...
Quite impressed so far

Cheers

Mark

guitfnky

04 Aug 2019

Soft Enerji wrote:
04 Aug 2019
Thanks to the OP I now have another instrument that I'll probably never get my head around :puf_bigsmile: After getting NI Komplete recently I didn't think I'd need anything else but have to say Iris is something I've looked at for a while, just never justified it to myself so I spent just over 10 Aussie on some reverb that I can't even see in Reason (although it shows in Sonar???) and got it...
Quite impressed so far

Cheers

Mark
the reverb...is it 32 bit-only? Reason only works with 64 bit VSTs.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Soft Enerji

05 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
04 Aug 2019
Soft Enerji wrote:
04 Aug 2019
Quite impressed so far

Cheers

Mark
the reverb...is it 32 bit-only? Reason only works with 64 bit VSTs.
Yeah it is...shoulda read the small print... :mrgreen: Not bothered as I have plenty other options for reverb...It was the cheapest thing I could find on the site after scanning through for about 10 minutes

• Information