[Solved] Merging MIDI from all instruments into one big MIDI file/clip (e.g.for a piano version)

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
diminished
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2019

Can you do that in Reason and if so, how?

Like.. if you have an orchestral arrangement but want to look at the chords in one place and hear all notes on one piano. So that you can analyze the harmonic structure. I hope that makes sense.
Last edited by diminished on 01 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

MannequinRaces

01 Aug 2019

You can do the multi-lane MIDI editing in 10.2 and see everything at once. That might work.

NekujaK

01 Aug 2019

To hear all the parts play on a single instrument, simply add additional MIDI lanes to a single track (the + button at the top of the sequencer), and to view it all at once, use the multi-lane editing mentioned above.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

diminished
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2019

Thanks, totally forgot about multi-lane. But here's the thing and maybe I'm stupid but:

I'm able to see now all of the lanes I wish to see at once. However, I can't select all notes (and copypaste them to a new piano lane). I can only highlight the clips the notes are from. I can't select all of them. Shift/ctrl-clickling them doesn't work across the borders of the "currently active" clip.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

NekujaK

01 Aug 2019

It's kind of clunky, but you would need to copy the MIDI notes from clip A and paste them into clip B. The paste will not replace the existing notes in clip B, but will simply add the copied clip A notes to clip B - effectively merging them.

I thought for sure I remembered Reason having a merge feature for MIDI clips, but I can't find it anywhere.

NekujaK

01 Aug 2019

Okay, nevermind - I wasn't paying attention. You need to select (or right-click) the track header on the left to access the Merge feature. So yes, Reason can merge MIDI clips :o

Straight from the Reason manual...

MergeClips.jpg
MergeClips.jpg (194.21 KiB) Viewed 1111 times

diminished
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2019

NekujaK wrote:
01 Aug 2019
Okay, nevermind - I wasn't paying attention. You need to select (or right-click) the track header on the left to access the Merge feature. So yes, Reason can merge MIDI clips :o

Straight from the Reason manual...

MergeClips.jpg
Thanks Nekuja! Now that's what I call hidden.
What's that mysterious document you get all the information from... ;) just kidding, shame on me.

However. This doesn't seem to work across instruments, only for multiple note lanes inside a track..?

diminished
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2019

I hope I'm not missing anything. But in that MIDI file are like 25+ note lanes and that file is only one of many. I could go ahead and move each lane into a seperate note lane of my piano, then "implode" them all. But that's not really feasible. At least not more than once :/

Who knew that it would be so hard to steal some chords from Gustav Mahler, heh.

NekujaK

01 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
01 Aug 2019
I hope I'm not missing anything. But in that MIDI file are like 25+ note lanes and that file is only one of many. I could go ahead and move each lane into a seperate note lane of my piano, then "implode" them all. But that's not really feasible. At least not more than once :/

If I understand you correctly, after the initial "implode", you can then add more MIDI lanes to that same track, and implode once again, and so on... there shouldn't be a limit to the number of times you can continue merging like this.

I'm sure Gustav never envisioned having his music represented as colored rectangles on a magical light-emitting screen :D

diminished
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2019

NekujaK wrote:
01 Aug 2019
diminished wrote:
01 Aug 2019

If I understand you correctly, after the initial "implode", you can then add more MIDI lanes to that same track, and implode once again, and so on... there shouldn't be a limit to the number of times you can continue merging like this.

I'm sure Gustav never envisioned having his music represented as dots on some magical light-emitting screen :D
I meant that it's not fun dragging 25 midi lanes one by one onto a new one. It's prone to errors. And there's no shortcut for merging them.
I'd rather select all, right click, "Bounce all MIDI data into new lane" if you know what I mean.
Fucking Gustav, man. :lol:

NekujaK

01 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
01 Aug 2019
NekujaK wrote:
01 Aug 2019

I'm sure Gustav never envisioned having his music represented as dots on some magical light-emitting screen :D
I meant that it's not fun dragging 25 midi lanes one by one onto a new one. It's prone to errors. And there's no shortcut for merging them.
I'd rather select all, right click, "Bounce all MIDI data into new lane" if you know what I mean.
Fucking Gustav, man. :lol:
I'm not sure where the one-by-one dragging comes into play. You can drag multiple MIDI files into Reason from the file system all in one step. Once they're in Reason, just create 25 lanes on a single track, then multi-select the clips and move them as a group onto the newly created lanes, and then merge. You only have to drag twice and click the + button 25 times :lol:

diminished
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2019

Ahhh now I got it. Gosh.

At first I added one lane for my piano, moved some notes over, "imploded", added another piano lane, rinse and repeat. Duh.

Clicking (+) 25 times in a row, then moving everything over and "implode" once. Bam. Problem solved.

Thank you so much for bearing with me!!

MannequinRaces

01 Aug 2019

Maybe try converting the audio to midi and then using a player device to see what the chords are. - Not sure if that would work with a stereo file or not. I haven’t tried myself.

diminished
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2019

There are plenty of free classical music MIDI files out there, so no need but thanks for the suggestion :)

The plan is to put loop markers around the passages I enjoy the most, then let the Chordbank RE do its thing.

MannequinRaces

01 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
01 Aug 2019
There are plenty of free classical music MIDI files out there, so no need but thanks for the suggestion :)

The plan is to put loop markers around the passages I enjoy the most, then let the Chordbank RE do its thing.
Cool! Have fun with that.

• Information