Thinking going into modular (thoughts)

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
sot

25 Jul 2019

@OB1 that looks like my pc audio folders and "sound" like a virus hit :P

@Faastwalker,@Aosta i want to get a little lost in sound ok but not too lost, lol still have my old c64 with piano keys addon if things go awry...

my weird humor at work here ^^ , hope i'll got into modular soon and try to make something weird and beautiful only with modules! like all the cool videos i see out there.
:reason: 10

O1B

26 Jul 2019

Make the Most of this Life, my Man.
And - consider getting them 2nd hand on Reverb or eBay. As a Buyer (eBay) - it's hard to get burned.

I remember (March 2018) thinking - "How" do I start??
I had NO CLUE. How sad!! It's the Platform I Dreamed about when I was in my C64 stage.

Last Year March, just the CASE - $1000 - was prohibitive! Now, everything's changed in the World.

FYI. Best Bang for the BUCK? All things Mutable Instruments.
EARS cost $100. All mods can fit in a Pod 20-60 case by 4ms. $100.

INPUT Amplifier w/Sweet GAIN,
Conversion of INPUT or TouchPAD SIGNAL to GATE and Envelope Followers - with LEDS,
Highly responsive and Adjustable Trigger Source to be converted to Audio or CV
NOOICE!

sot wrote:
25 Jul 2019
my weird humor at work here ^^ , hope i'll got into modular soon and try to make something weird and beautiful only with modules! like all the cool videos i see out there.

dannyF

27 Jul 2019

emilng wrote:
24 Jul 2019
Eurorack is not the only modular format out there.

If you're strapped for cash I would look into going the AE modular route instead. https://www.tangiblewaves.com/ You can get a complete system for the cost of a eurorack case.
Here's a good playlist with plenty of examples of what you can do with this format https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... XHucNug-hF
thanks for bringing this to my eyes, very cool.

dannyF

27 Jul 2019

selig wrote:
23 Jul 2019
One scenario would be to set mod 1 & mod 2 to Note and Gate respectively. That would give you two totally separate note/gate sequencers, linked by overall tempo but able to be separately set to 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, or 1/32 rate/multipliers.

Another would be for mod 1 & mod 2 to both be set to note, for three note tracks total.
Perhaps I don't know enough about modular. But if the note(s) are only outputted on a single channel doesn't it need an accompanying gate signal to be useful ?
Last edited by dannyF on 27 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

27 Jul 2019

dannyF wrote:
27 Jul 2019
selig wrote:
23 Jul 2019
One scenario would be to set mod 1 & mod 2 to Note and Gate respectively. That would give you two totally separate note/gate sequencers, linked by overall tempo but able to be separately set to 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, or 1/32 rate/multipliers.

Another would be for mod 1 & mod 2 to both be set to note, for three note tracks total.
Perhaps I don't know enough about modular. But if the note(s) are only outputted on a single channel doesn't it need an accompanying gate signal?
I often "drone" a modular (keep the VCA open), instead using LFOs to slowly sweep filters or otherwise give movement to the patch, while also shifting notes (sometimes only moving between a few notes, others sending a flurry of fast moving notes). The beauty of modular is you don't have to send both gate AND note, as either one on it's own has plenty of uses IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

dannyF

27 Jul 2019

selig wrote:
27 Jul 2019
dannyF wrote:
27 Jul 2019

Perhaps I don't know enough about modular. But if the note(s) are only outputted on a single channel doesn't it need an accompanying gate signal?
I often "drone" a modular (keep the VCA open), instead using LFOs to slowly sweep filters or otherwise give movement to the patch, while also shifting notes (sometimes only moving between a few notes, others sending a flurry of fast moving notes). The beauty of modular is you don't have to send both gate AND note, as either one on it's own has plenty of uses IMO.
Ah yes, that's a good idea.

O1B

29 Jul 2019

sot

31 Jul 2019

it reminds me the saying in the afternoon "i'm going out for one beer" and then come back next day morning destroyed :D

i like this use of modulars too for live setting :

The thing is if something get into my mind i'm gonna do it :P , now waiting for a shared system(!) to arrive, it has a 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee so if i'm not into this i can send it back in this extreme case, would prefer to make my own system but can't for various reasons right now. One thing i would like and the shared system don't have it's an included audio recorder so you can record the performance without external hardware.

Crumbfort

31 Jul 2019

sot wrote:
31 Jul 2019
The thing is if something get into my mind i'm gonna do it :P , now waiting for a shared system(!) to arrive, it has a 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee so if i'm not into this i can send it back in this extreme case, would prefer to make my own system but can't for various reasons right now. One thing i would like and the shared system don't have it's an included audio recorder so you can record the performance without external hardware.
Nice! One cool thing about having a single maker system like that (particularly when you're just starting with a BUNCH of new modules at once) is the overall cohesiveness of the thing and not having to wrap your head around how a bunch of different makers do things all at the same time.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

sot

01 Aug 2019

I like to see it like a single instrument but with the diversity of many, hopefully i will find my way with all these modules and be a joyfull learning and artistic experience worth the investment in time and money(till today i haven't got a penny from artistic creation but that's my doing mostly and how things get on in my life), have a little background in electronics cause i was working as an engineer before taking fine arts studies(painting) at university, i see music making as painting with sound but without making visible marks on physical media and as a form of meditation too, hope it doesn't turn as a form of escape from reality but more of engagement with it but in the end everything is fine :)

Aosta

01 Aug 2019

Tend the flame

sot

01 Aug 2019

Aosta very nice performance there, can you do that with shared system ? got it today and i'm playing with it all day without having much clue lol , must read rene manual...

dannyF

01 Aug 2019

sot wrote:
01 Aug 2019
I like to see it like a single instrument but with the diversity of many, hopefully i will find my way with all these modules and be a joyfull learning and artistic experience worth the investment in time and money(till today i haven't got a penny from artistic creation but that's my doing mostly and how things get on in my life), have a little background in electronics cause i was working as an engineer before taking fine arts studies(painting) at university, i see music making as painting with sound but without making visible marks on physical media and as a form of meditation too, hope it doesn't turn as a form of escape from reality but more of engagement with it but in the end everything is fine :)
One's "escape" is another's "engagement". They are but words, really.

sot

02 Aug 2019

yes of course :) and as a person who don't own any hardware (rack) and used only software til now, i must say that modular feels like Reason in hardware form and Reason was a great way to know this stuff and now to feel at home with this thing :)

O1B

02 Aug 2019

sot wrote:
02 Aug 2019
yes of course :) and as a person who don't own any hardware (rack) and used only software til now, i must say that modular feels like Reason in hardware form and Reason was a great way to know this stuff and now to feel at home with this thing :)

Aosta

07 Aug 2019

For those interested here is a modular 24/7 'radio station'.
Great to have on in the background if you are doing something and love modular sounds.

Last edited by Aosta on 11 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Tend the flame

OverneathTheSkyBridg

01 Sep 2019

Every time I've considered going modular, I open up my copy of VCV Rack and painstakingly put together a patch from scratch. Every time I have to add a device I add $100 to the cost of this patch. This alone stays the modular GAS for me.

Aosta

11 Sep 2019

If anyone is interested here is a nice talk about what modular is...

Tend the flame

jayhosking

11 Sep 2019

Aosta wrote:
11 Sep 2019
If anyone is interested here is a nice talk about what modular is...
Holy hell, just the still image of that guy is a hilariously accurate archetype of a modular person!

selig
RE Developer

12 Sep 2019

sot wrote:
01 Aug 2019
Another way to think of a modular system (besides build a diverse/flexible system) is one single-use instrument that is specifically targeted to your goals. Could be the ultimate drone machine, the ultimate sequencer/synth, the ultimate noise maker/mangler, etc.

A modular setup CAN be versatile, or it could be a highly specific tool with each module chosen for your specific needs - modulars allow you to go ether route (and more) when deciding how to approach them.

In my current live setup, I have Peak as my main poly-synth, MiniBrute as my bass synth, and two voices of modular (one around Intellijel/Mutable and another around Synthesis Tech/Make Noise) that handle sequencing and drone scapes respectively. They CAN do other things, but they are primarily designed for those basic tasks.
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

12 Sep 2019

Talk about Preaching! WOW! Thank you for the Insight.
selig wrote:
12 Sep 2019
Another way to think of a modular system (besides build a diverse/flexible system) is one single-use instrument that is specifically targeted to your goals. Could be the ultimate drone machine, the ultimate sequencer/synth, the ultimate noise maker/mangler, etc.

A modular setup CAN be versatile, or it could be a highly specific tool with each module chosen for your specific needs - modulars allow you to go ether route (and more) when deciding how to approach them.
I will be analyzing this set-up. I trust your wisdom leads you here, so it must be .. Efficient, Specific (when nec.), Powerful.
Thank you, Selig.

I've concentrated on the DJ side so - Filter, Noise, Time-based Effect, Proper Freeze Mod, and a versatile Modulation Source.
I've made several iterations. With it, I can EQ (Noise MODs HELP), and throw in a Proper - but Random Drone - but, no Voices.
So far, I'm still relying on Decks like the DrumBrute Impact, Microfreak, MicroKorg....
Now, time to begin the Voice Setup.

Proper Voices. And, the Minibrute is awesome for all those subtle but necessary Mod Sources.
In my current live setup,
- I have Peak as my main poly-synth,
- MiniBrute as my bass synth, and
- two voices of modular (one around Intellijel/Mutable and another around Synthesis Tech/Make Noise) that handle sequencing and drone scapes respectively.
They CAN do other things, but they are primarily designed for those basic tasks.
And, another Damn Good Quote by Sot
I like to see it like a single instrument but with the diversity of many, hopefully i will find my way with all these modules and be a joyfull learning and artistic experience worth the investment in time and money
Happy 912!

selig
RE Developer

12 Sep 2019

O1B wrote:
12 Sep 2019
I've concentrated on the DJ side so - Filter, Noise, Time-based Effect, Proper Freeze Mod, and a versatile Modulation Source.
I've made several iterations. With it, I can EQ (Noise MODs HELP), and throw in a Proper - but Random Drone - but, no Voices.
So far, I'm still relying on Decks like the DrumBrute Impact, Microfreak, MicroKorg....
Now, time to begin the Voice Setup.

Proper Voices. And, the Minibrute is awesome for all those subtle but necessary Mod Sources.
Ha, I'm doing just the opposite. Have two great voice paths, and now I REALLY want an FX based rack like yours (I;m closely following your thread on Eurorack FX).

As for some totally different (and often specific) Eurorack use cases:

There are guitar players who use Eurorack for more advanced processing - a super geeky pedal board that's not pedals (or on the ground).
I also hear there are mix engineers using Eurorack for mixing/FX/processing.
And when you start carting your gear around for live performance, you start to see more possibilities for task specific setups, that can remain patched and ready to go and also fit in cases.

But when I get home I always more: more modules, more voices, more FX, more "versatile" - in fact, more of everything (yes, I knew it would become a problem for me eventually).
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information