What do you think will be new in Reason 11?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
guitfnky

29 Jul 2019

honestly, it would be completely out of left field if Props were to focus a major release around any sort of out-of-the-box functionality. they’ve never done that, so I’m not sure where that fear comes from. when allihoopa (whatever it was originally called) came out, it was an interesting add-on, not a major feature. and since then, all the other mobile-focused stuff has come out in between major releases. it’s something they’re interested in, sure (and they should be!), but it’s not like Reason 11 is going to be only available on mobile devices or anything silly like that.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

bxbrkrz

29 Jul 2019

The smiling clown wants a brand new free download of the old RE PX7 included with 11. Just after that PX8 will be announced :puf_smile: :thumbs_up:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

reggie1979

29 Jul 2019

My idea about "mobile tech" is irrelevant.

We've had a poll that shows clearly that people are far less concerned about that here than other things. Now you want to crucify me because I'm just stating the obvious.

It's not about being abrasive with any of you (which it should be clear that that is not my intent) but that I'm citing what is the collective and marching on. The demographic from THIS forum is that mobile isn't important. According to some of you, that might not be the case for PH.

Honestly, I'm sorry I said anything. It's so over-blown and far out of context it doesn't matter. But I'm not going to be afraid to voice my opinion.

reggie1979

29 Jul 2019

And, if it's of any concern, I"m really feeling shitty about this. Just because I said "icrap"? I mean that is such fanboi-ism.

reggie1979

29 Jul 2019

And one more thing, what does anything with all the personal attacks toward me have to do with the topic? I gave my opinions which are based on previous polls and thoughts and thus puts others in a bad light.

It's true for some, the icrap stuff is what YOU thought the company was going for. Why I'm I the bad guy for playing off of that?

I don't want that to be the case. I want my DAW to flourish. In case anyone actually cares, REASON is my DAW of choice. I've made that abundantly clear. Why am I being thrown under the bus being that I'm at least 80% on your side??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Reasonable man

30 Jul 2019

I seriously hope it dosn't come out for another year. I'm broke and i don't need more change. All the new synths , the players the steriodal Re's player market in the prop shop, the Loopcloud player that i havnt even' had a chance to integrate into my Reason workload...it goes on.

I think we will get a new sampler..an alternative to nn-xt but right now i dont want or need a new version of Reason. They have saved their company from the brink with the performance update which imo has earned them new customers and respect and rightly so . But a new sampler or a new combi and track stacks or something and im happy... but take your time there's no rush .

If 11 comes out in 2019 i wont be buying it

miscend

30 Jul 2019

If Reason 11 doesn't come out this year. It will be longest we've gone between updates in recent years.

I'm not sure whether that is a good or bad thing? Maybe they're out of ideas. Maybe they have run into internal difficulties because even the most recent point update was severely delayed.

chimp_spanner

30 Jul 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
29 Jul 2019
My idea about "mobile tech" is irrelevant.

We've had a poll that shows clearly that people are far less concerned about that here than other things. Now you want to crucify me because I'm just stating the obvious.

It's not about being abrasive with any of you (which it should be clear that that is not my intent) but that I'm citing what is the collective and marching on. The demographic from THIS forum is that mobile isn't important. According to some of you, that might not be the case for PH.

Honestly, I'm sorry I said anything. It's so over-blown and far out of context it doesn't matter. But I'm not going to be afraid to voice my opinion.
I mean it's not really a big deal - reading back through the thread I think things just got worded (or interpreted) wrong. So it's whatever - maybe it seemed like I jumped on you and it's really not my place to. No argument here, just discussion. Promise ;) Really for me the whole idea that Reason would be particularly different if it were geared to young or old people is kind of weird anyway. What do young users want that's so different to older users? Or to put it another way, what about catering to younger users would result in a bad experience for older users? I've seen this same argument regarding players. That somehow by giving us MORE options (and not actually removing or simplifying any existing features) PH are somehow catering to impatient "kids" who want to "press a button and have a song come out". I dunno, it's just a weird point for us all to get hung up on. At 35 there's nothing that a younger user would want out of Reason that would make my experience of Reason any less positive, so long as they didn't remove anything. Which they haven't. In fact, the only three examples I can think of where mobile development has impacted the core app is:

Alihoopa button (gone now)
A new bass synth and drum machine
Ableton Link

All of which is to say...I don't think there's anything to worry about!

guitfnky

30 Jul 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
29 Jul 2019
And one more thing, what does anything with all the personal attacks toward me have to do with the topic? I gave my opinions which are based on previous polls and thoughts and thus puts others in a bad light.

It's true for some, the icrap stuff is what YOU thought the company was going for. Why I'm I the bad guy for playing off of that?

I don't want that to be the case. I want my DAW to flourish. In case anyone actually cares, REASON is my DAW of choice. I've made that abundantly clear. Why am I being thrown under the bus being that I'm at least 80% on your side??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I don’t think anyone has personally attacked you.

disagreement <> personal attack

MarkTarlton

30 Jul 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
30 Jul 2019
Alihoopa button (gone now)
A new bass synth and drum machine
Ableton Link

All of which is to say...I don't think there's anything to worry about!
the old line 6 amps were removed, and a bit of a bummer for refills and older song files

owlymane

31 Jul 2019

If Reason 11 doesn't come out this year, I'm expecting at least a 10.5 with more workflow updates. If that doesn't come out either, then I'll be switching to a more active with frequent updates DAW. Been using Reason since 06 and I've reached that point where I'm getting tired and frustrated of its slow progression and limitations...There are MAJOR workflow concerns to be fixed and improved! And no excuses about it being summer season because both Logic and FL provided summer updates for their clients, FOR FREE! At least give us a free update for a new browser, better piano roll or give us some midi key commands update, just to show us they care and listen! BUT NO, instead they give us a useless 10.4 update for the summer (sorry mobile users...) which is completely irrelevant to customer's needs. Terrible marketing ...just terrible.

WillyOD

31 Jul 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
30 Jul 2019
the old line 6 amps were removed, and a bit of a bummer for refills and older song files
There is a workaround. Get the VST version of the Line6 Amps plugin and replace your old Line 6 amps with VST versions (L6 patches are compatible).

For R11: SEQUENCER, CORE & SEQUENCER improvements. Same crap I've been asking for what feels like forever.

I would love for one update to mainly add, improve and finish core features instead of bundling Prop's RE's etc. with the software.

What hasn't been mentioned in a while is a better management for Rack Extensions and VSTs. The current system for syncing, deleting and updating REs is very wonky and not professional at all. Why cannot I choose which REs I want to sync (I'm looking at you millions of CV REs...) or enable/disable multiple VSTs at once?! Just basic things... At the moment some of the features are so minimal it feels they were coded without a design just hoping they'll stick to the wall...
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

chimp_spanner

31 Jul 2019

WillyOD wrote:
31 Jul 2019
MarkTarlton wrote:
30 Jul 2019
There is a workaround. Get the VST version of the Line6 Amps plugin and replace your old Line 6 amps with VST versions (L6 patches are compatible).

For R11: SEQUENCER, CORE & SEQUENCER improvements. Same crap I've been asking for what feels like forever.

I would love for one update to mainly add, improve and finish core features instead of bundling Prop's RE's etc. with the software.

What hasn't been mentioned in a while is a better management for Rack Extensions and VSTs. The current system for syncing, deleting and updating REs is very wonky and not professional at all. Why cannot I choose which REs I want to sync (I'm looking at you millions of CV REs...) or enable/disable multiple VSTs at once?! Just basic things... At the moment some of the features are so minimal it feels they were coded without a design just hoping they'll stick to the wall...
It's hard not to turn a speculation thread into a wishlist but I feel you on this. Either the ability to hide devices, or selectively sync, or even better still a combination of that *and* an updated device browser where you can search or sort by "delay", or "modulation" even if it's not in the name of the device. So using tags basically. Currently seeing everything by developer is just super overwhelming, especially when you have as many REs as me :lol:

Based on all the conversations I've had with various different people it always comes down to the same things for me.

Folder Tracks
Optional auto sync order when moving tracks
Multi-channel MIDI (for Kontakt etc.)

^ These three things would make life a LOT easier for me with big projects. I really, really hope we see them in the next version. I've finally got a computer that can handle everything I throw at it. But my brain still can't handle the task of organising big projects. If I could use fewer instances of Kontakt, and put all my MIDI tracks into folders so I can quickly move and arrange entire swathes of my track, and change the order without having to manually sort devices I would work a lot, lot faster.

motuscott

31 Jul 2019

Either Reason 11 syncs with the chip on my codpiece or I'm throwing you all under the bus.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

guitfnky

31 Jul 2019

motuscott wrote:
31 Jul 2019
Either Reason 11 syncs with the chip on my codpiece or I'm throwing you all under the bus.
that’s been in there since v8. tick the box in Preferences.

motuscott

31 Jul 2019

Not ticking nothing over here
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

boingy

31 Jul 2019

owlymane wrote:
31 Jul 2019
If Reason 11 doesn't come out this year, I'm expecting at least a 10.5 with more workflow updates. If that doesn't come out either, then I'll be switching to a more active with frequent updates DAW. Been using Reason since 06 and I've reached that point where I'm getting tired and frustrated of its slow progression and limitations...There are MAJOR workflow concerns to be fixed and improved! And no excuses about it being summer season because both Logic and FL provided summer updates for their clients, FOR FREE! At least give us a free update for a new browser, better piano roll or give us some midi key commands update, just to show us they care and listen! BUT NO, instead they give us a useless 10.4 update for the summer (sorry mobile users...) which is completely irrelevant to customer's needs. Terrible marketing ...just terrible.
Studio One, Brother. Studio One.

DonnieAlan

31 Jul 2019

I really don't have a clue what the Props might change/add for Reason 11. I have contacted them in the past, not longer after 9.5 and VST hosting came out, to request two things: 1)allow VST hosting with Reason in slave mode (ie, using Rewire with Reason hosted in another DAW such as Pro Tools) and 2)add MIDI IN/OUT ports on the back of all the REs and allow for MIDI cable routing similar to what we can do now with audio cable routing. The latter would be especially useful for players and sequencers. With a MIDI splitter (like the audio Spyder)you could route a single MIDI out to multiple REs at the same time.

The Props did respond to my request and seem interested in both ideas. We'll see.

Unless one or both of these are implemented, I doubt I'd be all that excited about anything else the Props might add in 11. I certainly don't need any more rack VI's. The ones added in 10 didn't interest me at all, so I"m still with 9.5. Allowing VST hosting with Reason in slave mode would be awesome! It would make Reason the most powerful VI in the world!

owlymane

01 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
31 Jul 2019
owlymane wrote:
31 Jul 2019
Studio One, Brother. Studio One.
Thanks for the suggestion brother! This DAW indeed looks modern and powerful. And I like how their last update was focused on what their customers were asking for. Class move :thumbs_up:

You know I'm at a point where I've been holding myself from trying out different new DAWs because I invested so much in Reason and its REs (about 3K euros) so I'm taking as much advantage as possible of all the plugins I purchased in an ever-so limited DAW. But this is a great situation for me to know when and how to let things go.

I'll be patient and wait for R10.5/11 till october at the latest. But in parallel I'm going to watch several tuts of the different new modern DAWs currently available. Studio One is definitely in my top selection at the moment. Thx again :thumbs_up:

Jagwah

02 Aug 2019

Removed by author

EdGrip

04 Aug 2019

Again - you are allowed to use more than one DAW. Different programs make you think in different ways. You could use, say, Studio One or Live for arranging/sequencing and use Reason for deep sound design, modulation etc.
Just because you dip your toes into another piece of software, doesn't mean your 3k worth of REs are a write-off - they are still there ready to use, either via Reason's sequencer or via ReWire.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

04 Aug 2019

jedirobots wrote:
23 Jul 2019

I sincerely hope this is the case. I don't think the older crowd needs to be marketed to, in any shape or form. The older crowd needs to adapt or get left behind.
That's a great idea... Let's ditch the older crowd who updates frequently and buys Re's on a regular basis...

They have to target the 2 markets. The old guys (example: creating the Complex Re, where the old guys into modular have an orgasm just with the thought of it) and they are dumbing the app enough for the lazy kids that want to create the next hit song easy peasy (example, the auto cable routing, the new add track and add device buttons on the sequencer and mixer, etc)...

You know, I'm sure they put reason in the hands of the various segments they want to address, and see the behaviour of people using the app. There are still so many things they can do.

Anyway... I hope i'm wrong, but dumb it too much and one of these days we loose our most cherished and differentiating thing in Reason.
The Rack.

jedirobots

04 Aug 2019

mcatalao wrote:
04 Aug 2019
jedirobots wrote:
23 Jul 2019

I sincerely hope this is the case. I don't think the older crowd needs to be marketed to, in any shape or form. The older crowd needs to adapt or get left behind.
That's a great idea... Let's ditch the older crowd who updates frequently and buys Re's on a regular basis...

They have to target the 2 markets. The old guys (example: creating the Complex Re, where the old guys into modular have an orgasm just with the thought of it) and they are dumbing the app enough for the lazy kids that want to create the next hit song easy peasy (example, the auto cable routing, the new add track and add device buttons on the sequencer and mixer, etc)...

You know, I'm sure they put reason in the hands of the various segments they want to address, and see the behaviour of people using the app. There are still so many things they can do.

Anyway... I hope i'm wrong, but dumb it too much and one of these days we loose our most cherished and differentiating thing in Reason.
The Rack.
Again, I went at it a bit too black and white - I didn't mean this to turn into a young vs old debate. My target is the weekend warriors who open Reason once a week and seem to be shouting the loudest as to how Reason is the most amazing DAW and nothing needs changing and we should be grateful that PH are even making any changes for us. My view is that these guys just so happen to be the older crowd. I can say that with confidence because the mindset of a younger musician is untrained and unorthodox - they're still ignorant and chasing their dream. And due to dedicating countless hours to looking at tutorials and watching other musicians work and find shortcuts, they're figuring out the drawbacks and ways to speed up the process to make the most of the time to be creative. There's a reason as to why Reason isn't able to break far past the 5% of the pie mark whereas the biggest slices belong with Ableton and co.

I've spoken to someone who does YouTube tutorials for Reason very frequently and they've sent me screenshots that show an overwhelming number of users are 40/50+ and ask questions on how to do things in a very very old version of Reason.

As for your last comment, there's a difference between dumbing down and dumb. I'm relatively sure that those who take music seriously - do not want a mobile app. And no - I don't think kids are lazy. They're smart enough to know that they want to get their ideas out and be productive, not waste 10 minutes of time fulfilling their pipe dream fetish for outboard gear from their heyday. I appreciate the rack and parts of the skeuomorphism design and workflow - because as a Designer, I am more creative with a visual... but to cut out 5-10 mins here and there to get right to the important stuff... I'm doing that by any means necessary. I'm sure there's a reason as to why the most professional Reason users are using it in tangent with another DAW.

guitfnky

04 Aug 2019

jedirobots wrote:
04 Aug 2019
My target is the weekend warriors who open Reason once a week and seem to be shouting the loudest as to how Reason is the most amazing DAW and nothing needs changing and we should be grateful that PH are even making any changes for us.
who has said this? I’ve literally never seen anyone say this in any forum.

MannequinRaces

04 Aug 2019

Oh man threads like these are cringeworthy, lol. A small minuscule portion of the Reason user base arguing over who is right and deciding who Reason should be developed for. Get over yourselves people. Go make some music.

• Information