Noise Engineering Synth Bundle 2?...Any combinators?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2019

Well, I bought the above on the "happy day" and as far as I can see and hear every single one of the devices sounds the same. Checked out Lectric Panda's refill with the same result. Has anyone built any combis with these devices 'cos I just don't get it. Would appreciate any help as OI don't have a clue what's going on. Thanks :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

VariableX

31 Jul 2019

Loque had a really good combinator maybe do a search for that think it was in the challenge thread

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
31 Jul 2019
Loque had a really good combinator maybe do a search for that think it was in the challenge thread
This one? viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7509319&p=421562&hi ... or#p421562
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

VariableX

31 Jul 2019

yep thats the one i was thinking of.
gonna have to have another look myself 😀

Loque

31 Jul 2019

Uhh...cannot remember it myself, need to check it out as soon as i am back home:
viewtopic.php?p=421503#p421503
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2019

I’m honestly wondering about this bunch of synths. Does anybody here think they’re awesome?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

zoidkirb

31 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
31 Jul 2019
I’m honestly wondering about this bunch of synths. Does anybody here think they’re awesome?
Yeah I reckon they're pretty great actually. They take a bit of coaxing to get most out of it and at first a lot of the parameters seem kinda obscure compared to other synths. Part of the key to making them work is to take advantage of the movement the parameters provide via modulating everything (either via combinator or the individual cv inputs on the back) . For that you need to get creative with wherever else in Reason you can generate interesting envelopes and lfo's.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
31 Jul 2019
MrFigg wrote:
31 Jul 2019
Yeah I reckon they're pretty great actually. They take a bit of coaxing to get most out of it and at first a lot of the parameters seem kinda obscure compared to other synths. Part of the key to making them work is to take advantage of the movement the parameters provide via modulating everything (either via combinator or the individual cv inputs on the back) . For that you need to get creative with wherever else in Reason you can generate interesting envelopes and lfo's.
Yeah. You see that’s where I fall down. CV...”Confused? Very!” Modulation and all that stuff...don’t understand. I need someone to build the machines with knobs that I can turn. :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2019

CV stands for ConVusion!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

mon

31 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
31 Jul 2019
I like them a lot. To my ears they are raw and beefy. Exactly what I think a sound generator should be.
Modulate them, add filters and effects and serve :)
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2019

mon wrote:
31 Jul 2019
MrFigg wrote:
31 Jul 2019
I like them a lot. To my ears they are raw and beefy. Exactly what I think a sound generator should be.
But aren’t they all essentially the same?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MannequinRaces

31 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
31 Jul 2019
mon wrote:
31 Jul 2019

No. Take the time to learn about them MrFigg.

DougalDarkly

31 Jul 2019

Deleted
Last edited by DougalDarkly on 09 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

mon

31 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
31 Jul 2019
mon wrote:
31 Jul 2019

Like most sound generators, they could sound similar at some times. The difference become very obvious the moment you start to modulate them.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
31 Jul 2019
MrFigg wrote:
31 Jul 2019

Ok. Absolutely. How though? The manuals just say what the knobs do. Is there anywhere I can read about how to link them in combinators and how to modulate them and all those things or is that just general knowledge?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Reasonable man

31 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
31 Jul 2019
MannequinRaces wrote:
31 Jul 2019

Ok. Absolutely. How though? The manuals just say what the knobs do. Is there anywhere I can read about how to link them in combinators and how to modulate them and all those things or is that just general knowledge?
The first 3 noise engineering synth Hydelide did a 3 vids on (i think he had' left the building by the time the 2nd bundle came out).
But its envelopes and lfo's around the back of the devices get the most outa them - or programme the knobs that have most effect to the combi rotarys and then attacjh lfo's and env's to them.

I was puzzeled by em when they first came out . Took me a while to realise that they were just copies/ imitations of noise engineerin'gs euro rack modules of the same name and if you type the name of each device into google there are dozens of you tube vids of them in action in the hardware format. Although you can use em like other synths ...it becomes apparant by their very nature why these things are tailor made for note/gate sequencing with Psq/Kron ... thaths their natural habitat. Especiallly Psq . these things are modular in heritage.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2019

Reasonable man wrote:
31 Jul 2019
MrFigg wrote:
31 Jul 2019

The first 3 noise engineering synth Hydelide did a 3 vids on (i think he had' left the building by the time the 2nd bundle came out).
But its envelopes and lfo's around the back of the devices get the most outa them - or programme the knobs that have most effect to the combi rotarys and then attacjh lfo's and env's to them.

I was puzzeled by em when they first came out . Took me a while to realise that they were just copies/ imitations of noise engineerin'gs euro rack modules of the same name and if you type the name of each device into google there are dozens of you tube vids of them in action in the hardware format. Although you can use em like other synths ...it becomes apparant by their very nature why these things are tailor made for note/gate sequencing with Psq/Kron ... thaths their natural habitat. Especiallly Psq . these things are modular in heritage.
Many thanks for that. I’ll get on it. Excellent.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Reasonable man

31 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
31 Jul 2019
Reasonable man wrote:
31 Jul 2019

Many thanks for that. I’ll get on it. Excellent.
No probs . Their marmite devices in fairness!. I know Loque did an excellent combi one time using the echo and sorts . i remember saving the combi at the time meaning to have a good gawk at it but then i went and lost all my projects/ sound library in a mac os update (for the 2nd time ...argh) and i dont have it any of my old stuff anymmore . But yea Loque is the man for thsi this kinda stuff ... any fairnnes their are alot of knowlegable cv heads n Reasontalk!

Philup

31 Jul 2019

Think of them like performance cars.
standing still and lined up next to each other they look like they all do about the same thing.
Even when watching someone else operate them, they appear to achieve the same end goal... to go fast around a track.
But when you get in the driver seat yourself, you start to see the subtle differences from one vehicle to the next.
Some accelerate better while the other may corner better. Each one has its own sweet spot.

So it is the same with synths and synth components. you can pretty much get yourself around any track with one synth in most cases.
Each synth however, has its sweet spot where, when you want a certain tone, or feel, that one synth just gets the specific job done with little effort even if it comes across as same-ish or even lacking in other areas.
The only way you can find that sweet spot is to get behind the wheel and drive it yourself.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2019

Philup wrote:
31 Jul 2019
Think of them like performance cars.
standing still and lined up next to each other they look like they all do about the same thing.
Even when watching someone else operate them, they appear to achieve the same end goal... to go fast around a track.
But when you get in the driver seat yourself, you start to see the subtle differences from one vehicle to the next.
Some accelerate better while the other may corner better. Each one has its own sweet spot.

So it is the same with synths and synth components. you can pretty much get yourself around any track with one synth in most cases.
Each synth however, has its sweet spot where, when you want a certain tone, or feel, that one synth just gets the specific job done with little effort even if it comes across as same-ish or even lacking in other areas.
The only way you can find that sweet spot is to get behind the wheel and drive it yourself.
Nice analogy. Thanks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mon

31 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
31 Jul 2019
I learned a lot by watching some great videos about their hardware analogs on YouTube.

mon

31 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
31 Jul 2019
mon wrote:
31 Jul 2019

This link could be helpful. Brief explanation of possible purposes for the different devices.
https://www.noiseengineering.us/blog/20 ... ht-for-you

Stygian Abyss

31 Jul 2019

If you need general knowledge about CV, modulations, you could read the venerable ARP 2600 user's manual, written in a time where synthesizers were a rare thing and thus very pedagogic.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2019

Stygian Abyss wrote:
31 Jul 2019
If you need general knowledge about CV, modulations, you could read the venerable ARP 2600 user's manual, written in a time where synthesizers were a rare thing and thus very pedagogic.
Wow!! Cool!! Is there an English version? The link you posted is all Greek to me...there is also a considerable amount of Double Dutch. Thanks though :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2019

mon wrote:
31 Jul 2019
MrFigg wrote:
31 Jul 2019

This link could be helpful. Brief explanation of possible purposes for the different devices.
https://www.noiseengineering.us/blog/20 ... ht-for-you
That did help. Thanks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information