Inphonik releases RYM2612 as VST/AU/AAX

Discuss VST stuff here!
joeyluck

23 Jul 2019

Intro price: 25€
RYM2612 is a software FM synthesizer in VST, Audio Unit, AAX and Rack Extension formats. It’s an emulation of the Yamaha YM2612 sound chip, best known for being the vibrant voice of the Sega Genesis/Megadrive videogame console. More than a simple sound-alike, the emulation is cycle-accurate to the original chip, that allows reproducing every unique possibility of the synth. On top of this, the amp circuitry of the console has been reproduced too, in order to obtain the same grain you'd get if you plugged the real hardware into your DAW.
More Info:
https://www.inphonik.com/products/rym26 ... nthesizer/

Import patches from RYMCast of your favorite Sega Genesis/Mega Drive songs :puf_smile:

BananaSkins

23 Jul 2019

Thanks for posting :thumbs_up:

In regards to recent copyright threads; were do users stand in regards to importing and using actual game patches in their work?

joeyluck

23 Jul 2019

BananaSkins wrote:
23 Jul 2019

In regards to recent copyright threads; were do users stand in regards to importing and using actual game patches in their work?
Well the RYM2612 is a synthesizer (an emulation of the Yamaha YM2612 sound chip used in the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive). It is not sample-based. So you can compare it to importing popular DX7 patches into an emulation such as PX7 or Dexed to use in your music.

MannequinRaces

23 Jul 2019

Great for them! That should make a lot of people in the VST world very happy! Congrats on the release Inphonik.

BananaSkins

23 Jul 2019

joeyluck wrote:
23 Jul 2019
BananaSkins wrote:
23 Jul 2019

Well the RYM2612 is a synthesizer (an emulation of the Yamaha YM2612 sound chip used in the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive). It is not sample-based. So you can compare it to importing popular DX7 patches into an emulation such as PX7 or Dexed to use in your music.
Thanks Joey :thumbs_up:

WillyOD

24 Jul 2019

Please put the RE on sale too! Also it would be cool to offer some kind of a crossgrade for RE owners (and future VST owners).
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

WillyOD

30 Jul 2019

Got a fast reply from Inphonik support and they do offer a crossgrade, which is way cool. :thumbs_up:

(Edit: Bought the VST from their site and got RE hooked up to my account within a minute!)
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

BananaSkins

30 Jul 2019

WillyOD wrote:
30 Jul 2019
Got a fast reply from Inphonik support and they do offer a crossgrade, which is way cool. :thumbs_up:

(Edit: Bought the VST from their site and got RE hooked up to my account within a minute!)
How much for the RE version upgrade then?

MannequinRaces

30 Jul 2019

BananaSkins wrote:
30 Jul 2019
WillyOD wrote:
30 Jul 2019

Free!!

BananaSkins

30 Jul 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
30 Jul 2019
BananaSkins wrote:
30 Jul 2019

Free!!

Thanks - Sounds good - so what steps are needed to get the RE free once you have bought the VST version?

MannequinRaces

30 Jul 2019

BananaSkins wrote:
30 Jul 2019
MannequinRaces wrote:
30 Jul 2019

Free!!

Thanks - Sounds good - so what steps are needed to get the RE free once you have bought the VST version?
I had to email Inphonik with my Propellerhead account username. It took a couple hours but that was on a Sunday. I was expecting Monday. That’s some great support! The RE is supposed to go on sale but I don’t know when. I couldn’t wait. :)

BananaSkins

30 Jul 2019

I have just sent them a message - Thanks again MannequinRaces :thumbs_up:

Instant reply - instant sync - tops marks to Inphonik customer services... :thumbs_up:

inphonik
RE Developer

30 Jul 2019

Hello there,

Just a quick official confirmation that we do offer free RE <> VST/AU/AAX crossgrades. I also confirm that we updated our Propellerhead Shop product page 5 days ago but it's still not validated by admins yet, so the -50% sale on the RE is unfortunately not available at the moment.

Anyway, you can safely go with the VST/AU/AAX bundle from our website (don't forget the INTRO2612 promocode). Once your order is confirmed, please send back your order confirmation email to support@inphonik.com and let us know your Propellerhead account username so we can drop your RE license.

We do our best to be as reactive as possible (generally a matter of minutes), but please don't worry if this takes a little more. Chances are you'll still be served way before the Prop Shop page gets approved anyway :mrgreen:

Best,

Mathieu

Boombastix
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2019

inphonik wrote:
30 Jul 2019
Hello there,

Just a quick official confirmation that we do offer free RE <> VST/AU/AAX crossgrades. I also confirm that we updated our Propellerhead Shop product page 5 days ago but it's still not validated by admins yet, so the -50% sale on the RE is unfortunately not available at the moment.

Anyway, you can safely go with the VST/AU/AAX bundle from our website (don't forget the INTRO2612 promocode). Once your order is confirmed, please send back your order confirmation email to support@inphonik.com and let us know your Propellerhead account username so we can drop your RE license.

We do our best to be as reactive as possible (generally a matter of minutes), but please don't worry if this takes a little more. Chances are you'll still be served way before the Prop Shop page gets approved anyway :mrgreen:

Best,

Mathieu
Wow! If we get to vote on best customer service 2019 - I'll vote for THIS guy! :thumbs_up:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2019

Right, I don’t want to be “that guy” and I’m certainly not a “you can do everything in Thor” guy and I’m going to get RYM anyway (as said before the Dev is a good guy) but...what can this do that FM4 can’t do. Both are FM synthesis with 4 operators right? Can someone explain to me if there’s really any difference between the two other than how they look? (I already know about RYMCast). Thanks :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2019

I'm trying to drag&drop patches into Reason from Rymcast, Win10. Long story short it's not working. I can't drag it into a folder either. Only to the desktop?
And I don't see the dialogue like in the video here @1:45 : https://www.inphonik.com/products/rymca ... gm-player/
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

strangers
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2019

diminished wrote:
30 Jul 2019
I'm trying to drag&drop patches into Reason from Rymcast, Win10. Long story short it's not working. I can't drag it into a folder either. Only to the desktop?
And I don't see the dialogue like in the video here @1:45 : https://www.inphonik.com/products/rymca ... gm-player/
Pause Rymcast while a song is playing. You can then drag and drop sounds into the RE.

diminished
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2019

strangers wrote:
30 Jul 2019
diminished wrote:
30 Jul 2019
Pause Rymcast while a song is playing. You can then drag and drop sounds into the RE.
Ah, okay thanks! It's weird, I have to hold the mouse down for like 4-6 seconds before the new cursor shows up. While I can drop-export now to a folder, I still can't drop it directly into the rack. Neither into an existing instance of RYM2612. Why is that? Because I run Reason as admin?

Also there is a drum track in the following file: https://project2612.org/details.php?id= ... l-guardian - YM6 to be precise - and if I load the exported *.repatch from a folder via Reason browser into RYM, it doesn't sound like snare, kick or hihat at all. I've tried the whole octave range. Why is that?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Boombastix
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
30 Jul 2019
Right, I don’t want to be “that guy” and I’m certainly not a “you can do everything in Thor” guy and I’m going to get RYM anyway (as said before the Dev is a good guy) but...what can this do that FM4 can’t do. Both are FM synthesis with 4 operators right? Can someone explain to me if there’s really any difference between the two other than how they look? (I already know about RYMCast). Thanks :)
This is my take on them:
The FM generation in a TX81Z (FM4) is a more powerful (feedback, modulation, waveforms), but if parameters are set the same the FM chip would make the same sound. After the FM generation the sound enters the DAC and you can hear what the DAC does easily at the tail end of a bass that fades away, you get a noisy jitter. The jitter noise + dist are technically different, but you'll decide which one you like the best. RYM lets you turn it off (I believe FM4 does not). RYM has a DAC input for "PCM streaming", but it doesn't say if it has uLaw compression or not (not sure how Yamaha did this), but if it does then you basically have a Mirage 8-bit sampler or Linn drum machine with unlimited sample length. I will check it if it actually works that way. RYM also have a "Speech synthesis" mode. So they are different and while FM4 is like an DX7 little brother for making musically complex instruments, RYM is slightly more for FX and simpler (but fun) game like sounds (also the env looping), but with some overlap for basic sounds. Grabbing Sega patches is of course a big feature too.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2019

Boombastix wrote:
30 Jul 2019
MrFigg wrote:
30 Jul 2019
This is my take on them:
The FM generation in a TX81Z (FM4) is a more powerful (feedback, modulation, waveforms), but if parameters are set the same the FM chip would make the same sound. After the FM generation the sound enters the DAC and you can hear what the DAC does easily at the tail end of a bass that fades away, you get a noisy jitter. The jitter noise + dist are technically different, but you'll decide which one you like the best. RYM lets you turn it off (I believe FM4 does not). RYM has a DAC input for "PCM streaming", but it doesn't say if it has uLaw compression or not (not sure how Yamaha did this), but if it does then you basically have a Mirage 8-bit sampler or Linn drum machine with unlimited sample length. I will check it if it actually works that way. RYM also have a "Speech synthesis" mode. So they are different and while FM4 is like an DX7 little brother for making musically complex instruments, RYM is slightly more for FX and simpler (but fun) game like sounds (also the env looping), but with some overlap for basic sounds. Grabbing Sega patches is of course a big feature too.
Excellent explanation. Thankyou. To be completely honest it looks like they are too similar (to my untrained FM ear) for me to have both. The Sega patch thing probably isn’t anything I would use either. Many thanks again for making things clearer.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

inphonik
RE Developer

31 Jul 2019

diminished wrote:
30 Jul 2019
Also there is a drum track in the following file: https://project2612.org/details.php?id= ... l-guardian - YM6 to be precise - and if I load the exported *.repatch from a folder via Reason browser into RYM, it doesn't sound like snare, kick or hihat at all. I've tried the whole octave range. Why is that?
The 6th channel on the YM2612 is the only one that has 8-bit PCM playback capability. But, as its name implies, this is not FM. When channel 6 is in PCM mode, its FM output is replaced by the output of the DAC. At the moment, RYMCast only extracts settings from FM registers. So even though it'll not stop you doing drag'n'drop from channel 6 (since it may actually be used as a regular FM channel), if channel 6 is only used for PCM samples, then the extracted patch will be empty or may even contain garbage settings.

diminished
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2019

inphonik wrote:
31 Jul 2019
diminished wrote:
30 Jul 2019
The 6th channel on the YM2612 is the only one that has 8-bit PCM playback capability. But, as its name implies, this is not FM. When channel 6 is in PCM mode, its FM output is replaced by the output of the DAC. At the moment, RYMCast only extracts settings from FM registers. So even though it'll not stop you doing drag'n'drop from channel 6 (since it may actually be used as a regular FM channel), if channel 6 is only used for PCM samples, then the extracted patch will be empty or may even contain garbage settings.
Thanks for the explanation! Sorry for asking, but how do I know if a channel 6 is in PCM mode? Any chance you could add an indicator to Rymcast so people can save the trouble of trying to make it a RYM2912 patch?

By the way, I fixed the issue. Not the slow response time of Rymcast, but I'm able to drag&drop straight into the Rack now. Both Reason and Rymcast need the same privileges. Up until now I ran Reason with admin privileges which kept them from working together nicely. FYI :)

Boombastix
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2019

inphonik wrote:
31 Jul 2019
Can you please clarify if the PCM channel has uLaw compression (or similar bit compression) or not? And if you are able to pitch shift the sound in between uLaw coding and uLaw de-coding? (i.e. like real old hw, but streaming in this case).
If my question is heading in the wrong direction, then help me out by explaining if/how the PCM channel can do that Linn/Mirage (Sega too I guess), pitch shifted, bit compressed, sound. Thanks!

mreese80

31 Jul 2019

I have this vst. It is dope. And the low end you can to the sounds are powerful. You want some powerful bass lines....this well do it.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

inphonik
RE Developer

01 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
31 Jul 2019
Thanks for the explanation! Sorry for asking, but how do I know if a channel 6 is in PCM mode? Any chance you could add an indicator to Rymcast so people can save the trouble of trying to make it a RYM2912 patch?
That'd be a nice feature, thanks for the suggestion. For now, I guess I must simply have my ears trained in it ;) But it's a pretty simple game. First, a great majority of games do use PCM samples, even though Sega thought nobody would because there were no DMA or interrupt for this so the timing had to be done in software. Then, from a sonic (no pun intended) point-of-view, the difference between FM sound and 8-bit PCM sound is quite easy to spot. But as a final clue, when you pause RYMCast, if channel 6 is using PCM samples, you'll see its scope immediately stop moving (as no more samples are being fed through the DAC), whereas FM sound are more likely to keep sounding and decaying along with their scopes moving.

• Information