What do you think will be new in Reason 11?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
boingy

24 Jul 2019

joeyluck wrote:
24 Jul 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
24 Jul 2019
Man, I'm sorry I said anything.

I was referring to the new regime and that they could easily be catering to young/new/hip vs. what us seasoned users want.
You said this:
reggie1979 wrote:
23 Jul 2019
But the older crowd isn't the demographic.

The icrap thing was supposed to be the next big thing and then all these icrap companies realized people were still making music on laptops and desktops on a fully functioning DAW. I'm sure plenty of icrap stuff made money, but people aren't making "music" much with it. They are just farting around.

If their business model does indeed go that way, I'm not sure what it would look like.

Personally, I can't make music on a phone. I guess that is a game for the young?
You said "icrap" 3 times. You said people aren't making music with it, which is very untrue. You said they are just "farting around." You referred to it as a game for the young...

I feel you could express your thoughts on mobile music creation, which there is strong growth and huge market, that you think that it is driven by a younger demographic and that it's not your cup of tea without resorting to trying to bash it like that.

But it's everybody, including the younger crowd that contribute to the new features that we all want, on desktop and mobile, that we didn't know we needed until we learned about them.

This reminds me so much of the debates over making music on a computer and then on a laptop. And this comic comes to mind (not directed at anybody's age, because we all age). Yes, this comic refers to videogames/VR, so please don't try to spin it on me lol. But I feel it applies to everything.

As a forum moderator perhaps you should not be stoking the flames of off-topic-ness.

reggie1979

24 Jul 2019

You guys are totally overreacting.

jayhosking

24 Jul 2019

Wow, this thread ran spectacularly off the rails.

My best guess and my wildest guess, based on the fact that Reason updates often deliver something relatively unexpected with something expected:
- The visual update that is so badly needed.
- A second rack type! Hear me out: Matthias has mentioned more than once that he loves Eurorack, so I could see Propellerhead adding a "Euro-style rack" with horizontal layout and simple modules for building sounds a la Eurorack. Imagine it like a Propellerhead take on VCV Rack or that Softube one. It would either sit within the existing rack or have easy connectivity/compatibility with the existing rack. Also creates a new type of RE to purchase in their store!

jlgrimes

26 Jul 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
22 Jul 2019
Don't confuse this with what you WANT.
We have more than enough of wish list threads already.

Take a serious guess.
100gb accordion sample library.

Seriously

I'm guessing track freeze.

Updated GUI. Certain devices might get upgraded to take advantage of GUI enhancements and RE tech.

Redrum II
New EQs Compressors
Piano Roll improvements
Integrate Tool Window into sequencer
Type in values for faders.
Update Regroove GUI.
Combinator improvements.

A few to several improvements I listed above with maybe one out the box feature, they will have a great update.

I think they are getting more pressure from other DAWS such as Ableton and Bitwig, they probably will make 11 a big update.

They might even morph Reason to a new program with all of Reasons technology with a few key improvements to signal a name change as version 11 might not have a good ring to it.

reggie1979

26 Jul 2019

jlgrimes wrote:
26 Jul 2019
100gb accordion sample library.

Seriously

Or just get one of these:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland/FR- ... gJORvD_BwE

sdst
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2019

Say hi to Processed kalimba

Reason 11

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Jul 2019

I wouldn't be surprised if they added something to do with the mobile integration. Not something I care about personally, but that's where things seem to be going.
Some sort of new device, instrument or a couple of new Players, maybe something that also works with Reason Compact.

I hate to sound cynical but they will probably add one or more of their own REs that they've sold for €99.

Probably a couple of workflow updates. Stuff that isn't fun marketing wise but useful stuff nonetheless.

I don't know it's really hard to tell with Propellerhead. Sometimes they just come out with stuff out of the blue. Sometimes it's hit, other times miss.

I really hope the slogan for Reason 11 won't be in the vein of: "Bring your creativity with you everywhere you go", meaning a big push for Reason Compact.

EdGrip

27 Jul 2019

I still think Reason is a great name for a piece of software.

Track freeze!? We can dream. That would be enough on its own!
I wonder what possibilities were opened up by the big engine rebuild for the 10.3 performance update? If any.
I imagine everyone's feeling under pressure from Ableton!

two shoes

28 Jul 2019

antic604 wrote:
23 Jul 2019
Spryx wrote:
22 Jul 2019
Probably a couple features to enhance the sequencer as this seems to be a pain point with a lot of users. Possibly some sort of display scaling.
Maybe multi-channel midi and support for a VST-Midi player device.
This! :thumbs_up:
+2 !! :reason:

two shoes

28 Jul 2019

jlgrimes wrote:
26 Jul 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
22 Jul 2019
Don't confuse this with what you WANT.
We have more than enough of wish list threads already.

Take a serious guess.
Updated GUI. Certain devices might get upgraded to take advantage of GUI enhancements and RE tech.

Redrum II
New EQs Compressors
Piano Roll improvements
Integrate Tool Window into sequencer
Type in values for faders.
Update Regroove GUI.
Combinator improvements.
These are good ones I haven't seen mentioned often, but I think they should update and expand regroove instead of just redoing the gui and i'd love to see typed values for anything we can get them for. A mkII update for Redrum would be sweet.

nooomy

28 Jul 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
22 Jul 2019
Will it sound better than Cubase? Pro tools?
NO But it will have a warmer and more focused sound ;)

Loque

28 Jul 2019

joeyluck wrote:
24 Jul 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
24 Jul 2019
Man, I'm sorry I said anything.

I was referring to the new regime and that they could easily be catering to young/new/hip vs. what us seasoned users want.
You said this:
reggie1979 wrote:
23 Jul 2019

The icrap thing was supposed to be the next big thing and then all these icrap companies realized people were still making music on laptops and desktops on a fully functioning DAW. I'm sure plenty of icrap stuff made money, but people aren't making "music" much with it. They are just farting around.

If their business model does indeed go that way, I'm not sure what it would look like.

Personally, I can't make music on a phone. I guess that is a game for the young?
You said "icrap" 3 times. You said people aren't making music with it, which is very untrue. You said they are just "farting around." You referred to it as a game for the young...

I feel you could express your thoughts on mobile music creation, which there is strong growth and huge market, that you think that it is driven by a younger demographic and that it's not your cup of tea without resorting to trying to bash it like that.

But it's everybody, including the younger crowd that contribute to the new features that we all want, on desktop and mobile, that we didn't know we needed until we learned about them.

This reminds me so much of the debates over making music on a computer and then on a laptop. And this comic comes to mind (not directed at anybody's age, because we all age). Yes, this comic refers to videogames/VR, so please don't try to spin it on me lol. But I feel it applies to everything.

Yea! Cannot wait until those games come out...wait...we are talking about Reason her, right?
Reason12, Win10

mcatalao
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2019

pushedbutton wrote:
22 Jul 2019
MIDI track overlay on the pitch correction window.
You know i've been mixing a lot of (bad) choirs lately where this would be great.

Another thing that would be great was the possibility to select a mode/scale and custom, and be able to magnet to it. Melodyne does this and works great and some of the algorithm is already on some reason devices, so part of the logic is already there.

DJMaytag

28 Jul 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
23 Jul 2019
Taco Bell (or Pizza Hut) will win the franchise wars and all DAW's will be Taco Bell (or Pizza Hut)

DJMaytag

28 Jul 2019

Improved sequencer engine & workflow.
Enhanced audio editing tools.
Expanded sample/sound libraries.
A previously paid RE will now be included (PX7 might be a candidate).

motuscott

28 Jul 2019

motuscott wrote:
22 Jul 2019
Track folders. Not a coder, but it seems simpler than other things we're hoping for.
Also totally new Reason Sound 😂
Audio Punch In for dog's sake. With full monitoring capabilities!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Faastwalker

28 Jul 2019

Combinator 2. Okay, it's a want. But I'd be surprised if we don't see an evolution of this device in Reason. It's fantastic but it could be so much more. Would be great to see it upgraded to have more controls & features.

reggie1979

28 Jul 2019

I was wrong, it WAS Joeyluck and I'm appalled.

Wow , a moderator saying such fantastically non-nonsensical things is terrible.

Ban me now Joey, you should not be a moderator with your immature options.

Icrap sucks. Long live freedom of speech!
Last edited by reggie1979 on 28 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.

reggie1979

28 Jul 2019

DJMaytag wrote:
28 Jul 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
23 Jul 2019
Taco Bell (or Pizza Hut) will win the franchise wars and all DAW's will be Taco Bell (or Pizza Hut)

Ha ha! I only recently learned that "Pizza Hut" was used overseas often because they didn't know what "taco bell" was.

Demolition Man was a fantastic movie in my humble opinion!

reggie1979

28 Jul 2019

guitfnky wrote:
23 Jul 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
23 Jul 2019
what does it matter who they’re catering to? whether the target demographic is the younger crowd, and the younger crowd wants workflow improvements, or the target demographic is the older crowd, and the older crowd wants workflow improvements, the end result is the same.
If you were actually paying attention (which this crowd CLEARLY isn't) Then it's about the idea that the "demographic" isn't what the bulk of us want. Why you would be so judgmental over this is beyond me.

The demographic wants workflow issues. Then there are those who feel the icrap stuff is more important. Why am I the scapegoat over pointing out the obvious? Because I said "icrap" ???? That is lame, immature and fanboi'istic.

We did this poll before. It's OBVIOUS here that we don't care about icrap stuff. Did you want another poll?

chimp_spanner

28 Jul 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
28 Jul 2019
guitfnky wrote:
23 Jul 2019

what does it matter who they’re catering to? whether the target demographic is the younger crowd, and the younger crowd wants workflow improvements, or the target demographic is the older crowd, and the older crowd wants workflow improvements, the end result is the same.
If you were actually paying attention (which this crowd CLEARLY isn't) Then it's about the idea that the "demographic" isn't what the bulk of us want. Why you would be so judgmental over this is beyond me.

The demographic wants workflow issues. Then there are those who feel the icrap stuff is more important. Why am I the scapegoat over pointing out the obvious? Because I said "icrap" ???? That is lame, immature and fanboi'istic.

We did this poll before. It's OBVIOUS here that we don't care about icrap stuff. Did you want another poll?
Dude, chill. Also I’m like 99% sure that the mobile development team is separate from the core dev team. It’s not like they’re working on that instead of on Reason. It’s in tandem. You’re welcome to not like iOS music software, although considering I’ve started about 5 good ideas today using nothing but iPad synths recorded and sampled straight into reason...you’re probably missing a trick ;)

reggie1979

29 Jul 2019

I'm not going to "chill" because a MODERATOR called me out on something that I should have been able to voice my opinion over. But hey, that is the net right? someone get's hosed, and other jump on.

guitfnky

29 Jul 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
28 Jul 2019
guitfnky wrote:
23 Jul 2019

judgmental? I asked a question.

take it down a notch or twelve. 🙄
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Kenni
Site Admin

29 Jul 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
29 Jul 2019
I'm not going to "chill" because a MODERATOR called me out on something that I should have been able to voice my opinion over. But hey, that is the net right? someone get's hosed, and other jump on.
Feel free to leave whenever.

While here, could you please stop being such a juvenile drama-queen? There's no need for the bombastic attitude, it's not like it's the first time we're trying to reason with you.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

chimp_spanner

29 Jul 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
29 Jul 2019
I meant more in terms of how irritated you are by mobile technology which, as I said, doesn't have any impact on the pace of development of Reason (RC and R10 have different teams and product managers) and doesn't affect you in any way if you choose not to use it. Anyway it seems you were free to voice your opinion. Not like your post was deleted, or you were deprived of any inalienable rights or liberties...I mean on a private forum, we have none anyway :lol: I kinda agree with the mod that your repeated use of "iCrap" in relation to younger producers who use it was needlessly combative. But hey that's for you and the mod to sort out in private. Or publicly! Whatever works for you.

And in any case, this greying 35 y/o is very happy with his Air 2 with its own mini MIDI keyboard running Moog Model D/Model 15s, Sugarbytes Aparillo and Factory (which are *amazing* fully fledged sound design synths), Korg Gadget, a tonne of drum machines and grooveboxes with novel/intuitive touch controls, all manner of cool/fun drone and noise makers, all sampled directly into Reason and tempo sync'd by Link over WiFi. I started on an Atari in the 90s. This shit is amazing to me!

If we wanna talk specifically about where RC is right now then yeah that's a different conversation - my wishlist for that is about as long as it is for R11! But I think on the basis of what I've been doing with my iPad since I got it, the notion that it's "iCrap" for young producers is just so far off the mark.

Ultimately just do you. If you're not into it.... :thumbs_up:

• Information