Parafilter III Sequencer RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Yonatan

27 Jul 2019

Parafilter is definately on my list. Looks compelling. And the way developers communicate with users in here is just so good!
ReasonTalk is such a good place for Reason lovers.

dusan.cani

27 Jul 2019

mcatalao wrote:
26 Jul 2019
dusan.cani wrote:
23 Jul 2019
This thing sounds very good. High quality filter algorithms and very good sounding drive + noise control.

But I am missing some very important parameters for this device:

- Mute + Solo buttons for each filter channel
- Master output level
Do you have Selig Gain? I use it at the end of almost every signal chain.
Yes I know that I can use some leveling device at the end of the chain. But the master output directly on the device you are working on is always more comfortable.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2019

dusan.cani wrote:
27 Jul 2019
mcatalao wrote:
26 Jul 2019

Do you have Selig Gain? I use it at the end of almost every signal chain.
Yes I know that I can use some leveling device at the end of the chain. But the master output directly on the device you are working on is always more comfortable.
Yeah but you also have per filter level, so you can get it fast to 0 and make fast mutes, and you can control the level at the device anyway... Right? Or am i missing something else?

dusan.cani

29 Jul 2019

mcatalao wrote:
28 Jul 2019
dusan.cani wrote:
27 Jul 2019

Yeah but you also have per filter level, so you can get it fast to 0 and make fast mutes, and you can control the level at the device anyway... Right? Or am i missing something else?
I often use 2 or 3 channels to blend the filters together and in that case I want to preserve the mix output of each channel. With mute/solo I would be able to quickly trigger the particular filter. Also If have 2 or 3 filters mix and I want to change overall output the master output knob is essential since you would not change each channel level and take care to preserve the volume ratios.

For example, take look at the Mutagen distortion device. It is also multichannel/multiband device and it has mute & solo controls + global output for easy editing.

Anyway, Parafilter III sounds incredible fat to me, it is the most huge and characterful filter sound in the Reason rack I have heard. And that "noise" control, ahhh.... :D

BHK INSTRUMENTS

08 Aug 2019

Hi Dusan,

thanks for the feedback, I have created a combinator set up to have these possibilities with help of a combinator. The channel mute function is handled by a second parafilter unit, and the micro level is used for the master level (below audio spider unit).

Channel mutes are assigned to the combinator buttons, and master level to the first Rotary.

Download. https://www.sendspace.com/file/644xyj

And channel mutes and a master level are on the update list. :)

Loque

21 Oct 2021

So... This thing is currently on sale. I never was I interested in all tge RE overhead like the sequencer and 3 filters.

I would have taken just 1 filter module.

The current sale price justifies what i would pay for it, but i am unsure about the filter quality.

What are your opinions about the filter quality?
Reason12, Win10

StephenHutchinson

21 Oct 2021

Loque wrote:
21 Oct 2021
So... This thing is currently on sale. I never was I interested in all tge RE overhead like the sequencer and 3 filters.

The current sale price justifies what i would pay for it, but i am unsure about the filter quality.

Just downloaded the trial and having a looksee... seems okay, as filters go.. I may have to dive in and explore more to see what I can get out of it. Thankfully there are presets and patches to get started.. I just wish that there was a dry/wet knob on the thing... or have I missed it?

EDIT: I've gone through pretty much every patch, preset and all of the .reason song files. I tried implementing other instruments in place of the stock ones in the patches folder, but they just didn't seem to sit right. I'm sure this would be great for other people but I'm going to give it a miss.
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

Whoopdee

21 Oct 2021

Iirc BHK released a filter-type RE when the format was first launched, it was taken down from the shop a couple years later?

RandomNoise

21 Oct 2021

Loque wrote:
21 Oct 2021

I would not get it based only on the filter quality, I don't think it is its selling point. It is ok, nothing extra impressive, but it does provide tons of filter types and I believe the latest updated version introduced even more types.

What I do think is cool about this rack is the amount of modulation and possibilities it provides to create interesting rhythm patterns and movement with the sequencer and all the LFOs. Of course you could do that with other filters and use all the cv tools in reason, but the fact that its all packed together is quite nice and speed up the process for immediate experimentation.

Its quite flexible in terms of connectivity as well, each filter of the 3 has its own input and output on the back (beside the main that pass the signal in chain between them) so you could route it in many creative ways.

I picked it up a few months ago as an extra creative tool to shape and form sound and to get interesting rhythm results.

I bought it before the update, and the update was great surprise as it improved quite a few things and I also think it looks better now (used to be white and bright, and now its in darker gray style).

Overall I would recommend it if you are like me and like to find new and creative ways to shape sounds and interesting rhythm patterns.

Noise
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2021

Would be nice to give this a try again. Trials should reset after a year or after a major update.
Anyone has a good youtube demo to share ?
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Loque

21 Oct 2021

Thanks guys. I hope i can try it at weekend and the deal is still on.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2021

Loque wrote:
21 Oct 2021
I smell GAS.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

21 Oct 2021

MrFigg wrote:
21 Oct 2021
Loque wrote:
21 Oct 2021
I smell GAS.
A good sounding comb or vowel filter is always worth a few bucks. If the a a few others which create a nice phaser, i am in.

Iam still thinking about if i make a Combi2 for Nostromo and Tribute which both have interesting filters.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2021

Loque wrote:
21 Oct 2021
MrFigg wrote:
21 Oct 2021

I smell GAS.
A good sounding comb or vowel filter is always worth a few bucks. If the a a few others which create a nice phaser, i am in.

Iam still thinking about if i make a Combi2 for Nostromo and Tribute which both have interesting filters.
https://www.audiothing.net/effects/the-orb/
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

21 Oct 2021

MrFigg wrote:
21 Oct 2021
Loque wrote:
21 Oct 2021

https://www.audiothing.net/effects/the-orb/
I think i have a limited version for free and its not that great. And for me RE first.
Reason12, Win10

dusan.cani

21 Oct 2021

RandomNoise wrote:
21 Oct 2021

I would not get it based only on the filter quality, I don't think it is its selling point. It is ok, nothing extra impressive, but it does provide tons of filter types and I believe the latest updated version introduced even more types.
For me, the selling point was exactly the quality of the filter. Algorithms are very well programmed, this device sounds very fat and strong. I love the character of the filter curves and resonance. Especially the "Notch" filter type (renamed to "LP | HP" after update). Also the "drive" and "noise" features are very tasty, they can spice up and thicken up the original sounds dramatically. Nothing in the Reason rack sounds like this filter. I also recommend to use it within combinator. Check the "receive notes" option and you can use key synced modulation for various parameters. Onboard LFO is very handy and can provide instant modulation movement while the sequencer tracks deliver another dimension of modulation possibilities.

However I am dissapointed with the UI design change after the update. Main background and knobs are too dark, it's uncomfortable to navigate. Those visually excellent markers around Cutoff and Resonance knobs are gone. Channel Volume fader now has strange markers instead of previous simple thin line based markers. The previous bright coloured design was AMAZING. It was instant inspiration, it contributed to buying me this device. They should have made option for UI design switch (new | old).

para-new.PNG
para-new.PNG (293.77 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
para-old.PNG
para-old.PNG (190.54 KiB) Viewed 1289 times

EnochLight

21 Oct 2021

dusan.cani wrote:
21 Oct 2021
However I am dissapointed with the UI design change after the update. Main background and knobs are too dark, it's uncomfortable to navigate. Those visually excellent markers around Cutoff and Resonance knobs are gone. Channel Volume fader now has strange markers instead of previous simple thin line based markers. The previous bright coloured design was AMAZING. It was instant inspiration, it contributed to buying me this device. They should have made option for UI design switch (new | old).

para-new.PNG
para-old.PNG
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder? I find the older white GUI absolutely grating on the eyes and difficult to look at. I find the dark GUI absolutely gorgeous by comparison.

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

dusan.cani

21 Oct 2021

EnochLight wrote:
21 Oct 2021

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder? I find the older white GUI absolutely grating on the eyes and difficult to look at. I find the dark GUI absolutely gorgeous by comparison.
That's ok. It doesn't mean that I am wrong or you are wrong. It's all about personal experience. This is the reason why the software should have basic UI customizations such as Bright vs Dark mode, for example.

joeyluck

21 Oct 2021

I think it would be much better if REs had proper skin handling. The workaround just isn't the best. Speo has mentioned he would consider updating Tribute with skin options if a skin chooser were properly implemented. And since he worked on Parafilter, perhaps that too could be updated.

I feel like that's something Reason should focus some attention on with the SDK. Unlike VSTs, there is the cool opportunity to have app-wide themes. So a RE dev could assign different skins to the default, dark, and blue themes. And by default, if they have a single skin, that would be applied to all. It would be a slick feature to flex the muscles of the RE format.

Faastwalker

21 Oct 2021

This is one of those RE's I tried, loved, bought after 15 minutes & then hardly touched again! But every time I see it I want to fire it up again and have another play. I think it's a brilliant RE. Unfortunately for me it got a bit lost in a glut of RE's when I seemed to be buying a new one every other day! But it sounds great and is fun to use. Ticks boxes for me :thumbup:

As for the GUI. I love both versions. It's a shame they didn't keep both an allow people to choose. I think that's a thing with some other RE's isn't it? Or am I imagining that?! :?

• Information