Delta MIDI Computer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Socram
RE Developer

22 Jul 2019

antic604 wrote:
22 Jul 2019
I'm super torn about this RE :(

On one hand, it IS groundbreaking and awesome, likely replacing 80% of Players out there - for that alone, the developer deserves the appreciation* and money! On the other however, I KNOW I won't do anything complex with it, because I lack time and... imagination / knowledge. It's like getting Reaktor or Softube Modular to just play the factory presets... Do I really need it?

* BTW, there should be a RE-of-the-year award ideally sponsored by Propellerhead :)
Thanks for the support!

Don't sweat it man, when I'm assessing a musical purchase I just ask myself "will this help me achieve something new or something I've struggled with in the past when producing?". Every RE I create starts with this question, and for me and seemingly a lot of other people the answer is "yes" with Delta.

This isn't the case for everyone though, using Delta does require a certain amount of hand dirtying. I'm the first to admit buying it for patches alone is barely scratching the surface on its abilities as its a very contextual and exploration based device. It also can't be understated how many excellent Player releases there have been as of late, and Delta can't _literally_ do everything, at least not yet ;).

That being said, I will do my marketing shtick and say if you are interested, this is a good time to buy. The sale is on for another week or so (ends the 31st) and this will be the cheapest price for quite some time. I will never do paid upgrades, but can't say I will never raise the initial price as more nodes and features are added. I have an extended support cycle planned, not just with product updates, but with patches and videos as well.
Last edited by Socram on 22 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

eusti

22 Jul 2019

Socram wrote:
22 Jul 2019
Thanks for the support!

Don't sweat it man, when I'm assessing a musical purchase I just ask myself "will this help me achieve something new or something I've struggled with in the past when producing?". Every RE I create starts with this question, and for me and seemingly a lot of other people the answer is "yes" with Delta.

This isn't the case for everyone though, using Delta does require a certain amount of hand dirtying. I'm the first to admit buying it for patches alone is barely scratching the surface on its abilities as its a very contextual and exploration based device. It also can't be understated how many excellent Player releases there have been as of late, and Delta can't _literally_ do everything, at least not yet ;).

That being said, I will do my marketing shtick and say if you are interested, this is the good time to buy. The sale is on for another week or so (ends the 31st) and this will be the cheapest price for quite some time. I will never do paid upgrades, but can't say I will never raise the initial price as more nodes and features are added. I have an extended support cycle planned, not just with product updates, but with patches and videos as well.
I too am thoroughly impressed by your device! I bought it to support you and what you're doing... Not that I have dived too much into it yet... But I'm happy that people are enjoying it and are supporting it well!

D.

antic604

23 Jul 2019

Socram wrote:
22 Jul 2019
...this is a good time to buy. The sale is on for another week or so (ends the 31st) and this will be the cheapest price for quite some time. I will never do paid upgrades, but can't say I will never raise the initial price as more nodes and features are added. I have an extended support cycle planned, not just with product updates, but with patches and videos as well.
You're a cruel and heartless person! ;) :D :puf_bigsmile:

Socram
RE Developer

24 Jul 2019

Hey guys just posting really quick to let people know there's only 1 week left to get the introductory price on Delta MIDI Computer, check it out if you haven't already :)
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

MannequinRaces

25 Jul 2019

I’m getting really close to buying this thing but another feature request; a delay setting for quintuplets. Not sure about other people but I’d use this a lot!

Bes
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2019

another feature request: i have been using the sequential sequencer as a counting node for a bunch of different situations but it only counts to 8 and it takes up a bunch of screen space. i would get a lot of usage out a counting node and a global reset count trigger. thanks again
- Certified Reason expert

Socram
RE Developer

25 Jul 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
25 Jul 2019
I’m getting really close to buying this thing but another feature request; a delay setting for quintuplets. Not sure about other people but I’d use this a lot!
Great idea, for technical reasons adding this to the existing delay node inbetween the existing time values could present some issues. What about a "Custom Delay Node" that lets you define a musical numerator and denominator, plus a count, in order to achieve basically any time division you can think of?
Bes wrote:
25 Jul 2019
another feature request: i have been using the sequential sequencer as a counting node for a bunch of different situations but it only counts to 8 and it takes up a bunch of screen space. i would get a lot of usage out a counting node and a global reset count trigger. thanks again
The Clock Divider Node is already done and implemented and should be coming soon (probably mid August because Propellerhead testers are on vacation) and exists for exactly this purpose. Up to 4 different "counts" per node with division as high as 64! Are you interested in beta testing it (and getting it early :P)?
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

MannequinRaces

25 Jul 2019

Socram wrote:
25 Jul 2019
Great idea, for technical reasons adding this to the existing delay node inbetween the existing time values could present some issues. What about a "Custom Delay Node" that lets you define a musical numerator and denominator, plus a count, in order to achieve basically any time division you can think of?
That sounds amazing! Thanks for being open to ideas.

Bes
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2019

thanks for the offer Socram i'll send you a dm about the beta testing.
- Certified Reason expert

Sorped

26 Jul 2019

This is one of the 2 best Players for sure! I've got a feeling I might get to use this a lot, it simplifies some things I would probably never have even considered attempting.

Great job, Marcos!
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

ksailer

28 Jul 2019

Instant buy... next best thing to a scriptable engine...
1) In addition to offset velocity, can we have multiply velocity (with slider to set decimal value) please? (Or add a factor slider to the offset tool)
2) For labelling, can't you just paste text from the clipboard instead of entering it via clicks?
:reason: :record: :ignition: :recycle: :PUF_balance: :rebirth: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :refillpacker:

Socram
RE Developer

28 Jul 2019

ksailer wrote:
28 Jul 2019
Instant buy... next best thing to a scriptable engine...
1) In addition to offset velocity, can we have multiply velocity (with slider to set decimal value) please? (Or add a factor slider to the offset tool)
2) For labelling, can't you just paste text from the clipboard instead of entering it via clicks?
Awesome! Thank you for the support... now to figure out how to get a custom scriptable Node in... hmmm ;).

1) Great suggestion, kinda surprised it didn't occur to me during development, I will add it to the list!

2) There's no input field that works on custom displays (digital screens on RE's, present in all my devices), they have to be "physical" elements on the device, like seen on the front and back of another one of my devices, Optic. I might have some ideas on how to get around this by using a physical input field but its a bit hacky so I'll need to try it before I promise anything. If that doesn't work and people want labels, it'll have to be some sort of click to type interface.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

ksailer

28 Jul 2019

Socram wrote:
28 Jul 2019
2) There's no input field that works on custom displays (digital screens on RE's, present in all my devices), they have to be "physical" elements on the device, like seen on the front and back of another one of my devices, Optic. I might have some ideas on how to get around this by using a physical input field but its a bit hacky so I'll need to try it before I promise anything. If that doesn't work and people want labels, it'll have to be some sort of click to type interface.
Ok, maybe I miss some restriction in the RE api... you can paste things (plain text in this case) from clipboard, right?
You could put a button to the right of the help button with an icon for "Paste Label".
A click on the button would then take the text from the clipboard and set it as label for that element.
(sorry, I am a developer in my day job :D )
:reason: :record: :ignition: :recycle: :PUF_balance: :rebirth: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :refillpacker:

buddard
RE Developer

28 Jul 2019

ksailer wrote:
28 Jul 2019
Ok, maybe I miss some restriction in the RE api... you can paste things (plain text in this case) from clipboard, right?
You could put a button to the right of the help button with an icon for "Paste Label".
A click on the button would then take the text from the clipboard and set it as label for that element.
(sorry, I am a developer in my day job :D )
Nope, because REs don't have access to the clipboard... The REs that have copy/paste functions have implemented their own internal clipboard that only works inside a single RE instance.

Socram
RE Developer

28 Jul 2019

Yes sorry, realized I didn't acknowledge your actual suggestion, as buddard said there's no access to the OS level clipboard as you suggest.

Credit where it's due, if I can get a true input field working at all for this Label Node (after 1.1 at the very least) it'll be because of some great suggestions from buddard at Robotic Bean on how to get around this SDK limitation. Hoping his idea works with Delta's tech as its much better than click to type.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

K_R33Z3

31 Jul 2019

Its 10:44pm eastern time and went to download but the price already went up :cry:

Catblack

31 Jul 2019

K_R33Z3 wrote:
31 Jul 2019
Its 10:44pm eastern time and went to download but the price already went up :cry:
Same thing here! I had it showing in the cart earlier at the sale price, but it's full price now at checkout!
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Socram
RE Developer

31 Jul 2019

K_R33Z3 wrote:
31 Jul 2019
Catblack wrote:
31 Jul 2019
Same thing here! I had it showing in the cart earlier at the sale price, but it's full price now at checkout!
I am really sorry about that guys, its always a bit unclear to me how the timing on these things are going to end up, the tool for setting sales period is pretty unclear about what time zone its for and it sounds like I didn't get it quite right.

I am going to PM both of you with a potential compromise and see if we can come up with a solution to this.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

K_R33Z3

01 Aug 2019

Socram wrote:
31 Jul 2019
K_R33Z3 wrote:
31 Jul 2019
Catblack wrote:
31 Jul 2019
I am really sorry about that guys, its always a bit unclear to me how the timing on these things are going to end up, the tool for setting sales period is pretty unclear about what time zone its for and it sounds like I didn't get it quite right.

I am going to PM both of you with a potential compromise and see if we can come up with a solution to this.

Socram is the definition of what a software developer should be. Innovative with great Customer Service. PROPS TO THE PROPS AND PROPS TO STATIC CLING!

Faastwalker

01 Aug 2019

Socram wrote:
31 Jul 2019
K_R33Z3 wrote:
31 Jul 2019
Catblack wrote:
31 Jul 2019

Can I be included in this as well possibly? Late to the party. Only just downloaded the trial a couple of days ago. Having lots of fun with this just going through the presets & in conjunction with other Players. Looks deep. But that's good. Very, very cool device to have in the rack. I'm up for this one.

Socram
RE Developer

01 Aug 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
01 Aug 2019
Can I be included in this as well possibly? Late to the party. Only just downloaded the trial a couple of days ago. Having lots of fun with this just going through the presets & in conjunction with other Players. Looks deep. But that's good. Very, very cool device to have in the rack. I'm up for this one.
Hey Faastwalker, I'm really sorry but I'm going to have to draw the line now that the sale is truly done. The discount was pretty steep and lasted over 3 weeks, and I only made an exception for these two because the sale did end a bit earlier than I said it would due to a timezone miscalculation. If I start making special exceptions after the sale it is a bit of a slippery slope (as we're seeing here :oops: ) and devalues Delta, which I put quite a lot of time into and I think is totally worth the full price.

Sorry again, there will be sales in the future if the full price isn't something you can consider.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Faastwalker

01 Aug 2019

All good. I understand. My bad for not hitting TRY a lot earlier. I was very excited by this one but in use it's a lot more fun than I imaged & that's just doing some very nice stuff with some of the presets (in particular the chord generators). Will buy it at some point sure. Essential device :thumbs_up:

dpcoffin

03 Aug 2019

Totally loving this, along with all the other Players (which of course stack up very usefully), for sending MIDI out via the EMI, using the Mac's IAC driver; This one's a quantum leap beyond all the others and raises them all, too. Thanks!

dpcoffin

05 Aug 2019

Dipping back into my copy of Reason (had since ver. 1, and often very un-wisely neglected), and discovering what a MIDI SuperBeing it now is, sending MIDI out from its really VAST collection of truly deeply modular/interactive MIDI tools to Logic, my main DAW and synth host with its own sort of MIDI marvels, has been a major revelation. Especially loving the CV Player Tap—wow! Basically ANYthing can become a source for further Delta-fying:)

Here's a recent bit of serendipity, showing both the Reason MIDI Combinator I started with and the Logic tools I tweaked a recording from it with:

Here's the MIDI file I wound up with, in case anyone wants a taste:)
1st Player TAP Trans #1 fix.mid.zip
(12.91 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
It's decidedly Reichian, by chance, so it works well with plucky, pianistic sounds. The repeated pattern shifting from dense to less so was entirely a happy parameter accident in Reason. Logic added elaborations on the note and key shifts in RT on a second-pass re-recording.

Not sure how I could have done the Logic part (recording/printing RT scale and key manipulations to an existing MIDI file) completely inside Reason. Ideas? Links to tuts? TIA!

Used the NOT-transposed version of that MIDI file for this demo of something else altogether; it's a pretty rich trove, IMO:)

1st Player TAP.mid.zip
(11.17 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Last edited by dpcoffin on 05 Aug 2019, edited 2 times in total.

motuscott

05 Aug 2019

K_R33Z3 wrote:
01 Aug 2019
Socram is the definition of what a software developer should be. Innovative with great Customer Service. PROPS TO THE PROPS AND PROPS TO STATIC CLING!
Hats off to Team Socram. Total class act.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

• Information