Why is the SH-101 sought after?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
diminished
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2019

Serious question.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

bitley

25 Jul 2019

It has gotten into this "movement" thanks to its relation to the other x0x instruments. It's condidered to be one of the vital / vintage parts of the house music history.

diminished
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2019

Thanks! Is there anything that makes it unique, soundwise? You can hear and identify a 303 or a 909 from three miles away, but a 101..?
Maybe I'm just a peasant, but a) to me it sounds meh/whatever, b) it's monophonic and c) considering the price, it's probably the most overrated synth there is (again, my opinion).
I'd simply like to broaden my view here, hence I'm asking, but I can't find any reason why I'd want one. Not even the Behringer clone. I guess it's a nice device to learn basic subtractive synthesis on hardware, but other than that? Please enlighten me, people, what the hype is all about.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

friday

26 Jul 2019

That thread brought me to a new question about the SH-101.....

Here at this Video you can see how Mathew uses the decay of the SH-101 to create interesting synth sound rhythms. I testet that with a lot of different Reason Synths, but most of theme didn't behave like the SH-101? On most of the Synths i couldn't unse the Decay to get similar results, i needed to use the Release? Anyone here who made similar experience?

diminished
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2019

Thanks to both of you! Much appreciated. I learned from the article that what I overlooked is quickness and versatility.
The Mathew Jonson video is probably the first demo I've seen that does the synth justice. Some amazing tricks in there, like the self-osc harmonics and the decay/attack playstyle.

I feel smarter and less biased now! (I still think that it's not a synth for me, though - but everyone has their preferences, right?)

diminished
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2019

friday wrote:
26 Jul 2019
That thread brought me to a new question about the SH-101.....

Here at this Video you can see how Mathew uses the decay of the SH-101 to create interesting synth sound rhythms. I testet that with a lot of different Reason Synths, but most of theme didn't behave like the SH-101? On most of the Synths i couldn't unse the Decay to get similar results, i needed to use the Release? Anyone here who made similar experience?
You can see at minute 9:08 that he slightly opens up the release :)

Loque

26 Jul 2019

Just because it might fit here:
https://tal-software.com/products/tal-bassline

Did not tried it much yet...
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2019

Roland has a VST SH-101 that is spot on. The SH-101 hw has a nice Roland cascade filter with a slight circuit change that makes it sound even nicer for mono bass. Also good for mono arps.
But a lot of these old analog synths is like collecting stamps, you can get most done in sw and you can't tell the difference. But the hw gets you a nice vibe in the studio.
As RE alternatives you can get similar style sounds out of the ES-01 and the Re-dominator, not super SH101-ish, but nice non the less. Uhe Diva gets pretty close but is pretty hard to dial in since the knob settings are very different from the actual SH101.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

O1B

28 Jul 2019

. SOUND (Nice n Heavy)
. Architecture
. Filter
. "External control is achieved using CV/Gate. Delivering a truly analog experience,"

imo.
diminished wrote:
25 Jul 2019
Serious question.

• Information