'nob' controller

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
scifunk

03 Apr 2016

I had an idea for something like this and someone has actually made it!! A single knob that controllers any parameter you hold your curser over. RH for mouse, LH for 'nob'. So simple and would make a massive difference to my productivity and make it more enjoyable.

joeyluck

04 Apr 2016

I forgot about this. Someone mentioned it over on the Rack Extensionists group on Facebook a while back. We talked about it and alternatives. I don't see any updates for it for the general public on their website or kickstarter page :\

Benedict
Competition Winner

04 Apr 2016

One of the MIDI controllers has/had this feature. Top of the line Novations I think. Oddly not picked up by many controllers. Seems a cool idea.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

raccoonboy

04 Apr 2016

want!

yeahright31

06 Jun 2016

That would be great if only it had a click button too, then I would throw this mac mouse out the window for real.

jam-s

06 Jun 2016

Looks extremely hipster crap to me.

electrofux

06 Jun 2016

Looks cool but i would like to see it working ina n environment where Knobs, Sliders and Faders are combined.

Bonkhead

10 Jul 2019

]
Benedict wrote:
04 Apr 2016
One of the MIDI controllers has/had this feature. Top of the line Novations I think. Oddly not picked up by many controllers. Seems a cool idea.

:)
Kick !

I'm sitting here with a freshly delivered second hand novation nocturn ready to go all lights blinking and stuff :lol:
But haven't yet succeeded to use the speed dial for knobs when hoovering over it.
It only scrolls the mixer / rack up and down (like usign the mousewheel scrol).
If anybody knobs how to make it work, let me know (please !).

dannyF

11 Jul 2019

yeahright31 wrote:
06 Jun 2016
That would be great if only it had a click button too, then I would throw this mac mouse out the window for real.
Actually it does have a click, tap the knob!

dannyF

11 Jul 2019

joeyluck wrote:
04 Apr 2016
I forgot about this. Someone mentioned it over on the Rack Extensionists group on Facebook a while back. We talked about it and alternatives. I don't see any updates for it for the general public on their website or kickstarter page :\
That was me! :)

dannyF

11 Jul 2019

So I've had it now for about half a year or more. I've not used Reason all that much tbh been busy building my new setup .... but soonish as the more inspired I get I'm sure will give it more attention. I'm happy with it no doubt the little I have used of it. Super smooth.

Right now I have it on the secondary computer where I use Reason away from the hardware. The plans are to mix recorded stuff and use it there in a completely separate area.

Is it neccessary? no, its a total luxury. Very good for Reason's many many small knobs. If you are tired of it like I was.

any questions? feel free to ask.

Faastwalker

11 Jul 2019

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Microsoft Surface Dial so I can use it like this;

Philup

12 Jul 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
11 Jul 2019
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Microsoft Surface Dial so I can use it like this;

I have had this set up for several months now. Can recommend and confirm that it works as intended.
Very fluid.

Faastwalker

14 Jul 2019

Philup wrote:
12 Jul 2019
I have had this set up for several months now. Can recommend and confirm that it works as intended.
Very fluid.
Good to hear. I'm really impressed with the latest version as shown in the Molten Modular video.

Just bought a used MS Surface Dial from eBay. Just need a USB Bluetooth adapter & the Elephant software.

Bonkhead

18 Jul 2019

I figured out since Reason doesn't have scroll control, no mousescroll controller will be able to do what n0b does. I would guess incl. n0b itself.

dannyF

18 Jul 2019

Bonkhead wrote:
18 Jul 2019
I figured out since Reason doesn't have scroll control, no mousescroll controller will be able to do what n0b does. I would guess incl. n0b itself.
Sorry, what would you trying to do exactly? "scroll through the sequencer overview - ie from left to right etc?"

I can double check some functionality for you.

Bonkhead

19 Jul 2019

What I want to do is hoover the mousepointer on a knob and twist it with a controller (which would otherwise be left click drag in Reason).

Other daws also work with click + scroll mousewheel, and that's exactly what is cloned by those n0b's and simular gear.
Since reason doesn't do click+ mousewheel scroll to change knob/fader values it doesn't work (yet).

Faastwalker

25 Jul 2019

Last edited by Faastwalker on 30 Jul 2019, edited 2 times in total.

dannyF

25 Jul 2019

With Nob controller you don't need to click on knobs, just point the mouse over a knob and turn.

Bonkhead

28 Jul 2019

dannyF wrote:
25 Jul 2019
With Nob controller you don't need to click on knobs, just point the mouse over a knob and turn.
So you use n0b with reason and got it to work ?

Faastwalker

30 Jul 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
19 Jul 2019
However I would prefer it if the mouse didn't 'lock' to the parameter when the dial was moved. Would be better if the mouse cursor just hovered over the parameter until you moved the mouse away without needing to click first.
The Elephant developer made a post on the Molten Modular video (above) showing how to do this. It's just a setting in the Elephant control panel that adjusts between mouse control or trackpad. Change from mouse (I guess the default) to trackpad - no more need to click ever. Works really well.

adfielding

31 Jul 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
11 Jul 2019

Oh wow, that looks really really cool! Would love to hear more about it once you get it set up, I love the idea of recording automation with a more hands-on approach.

dannyF

31 Jul 2019

Bonkhead wrote:
28 Jul 2019
dannyF wrote:
25 Jul 2019
So you use n0b with reason and got it to work ?
yep. Why wouldn't it work?

Faastwalker

01 Aug 2019

adfielding wrote:
31 Jul 2019
Oh wow, that looks really really cool! Would love to hear more about it once you get it set up, I love the idea of recording automation with a more hands-on approach.
It works really well. The developer has done an amazing job with his Elephant Software (about $20 to buy). So nice not having to click & drag anymore. Just hover the pointer over any parameter & adjust with the Surface Dial. For me it's an excellent halfway house between more hands on, precision control & not having enough knobs on your MIDI controller for synthesizer control. Genius!

adfielding

02 Aug 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
01 Aug 2019
adfielding wrote:
31 Jul 2019
It works really well. The developer has done an amazing job with his Elephant Software (about $20 to buy). So nice not having to click & drag anymore. Just hover the pointer over any parameter & adjust with the Surface Dial. For me it's an excellent halfway house between more hands on, precision control & not having enough knobs on your MIDI controller for synthesizer control. Genius!
That's super neat, thanks! Sounds just like the kind of thing I'd get a lot of use out of.

• Information