Anyone here using Super Audio Cart?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
tiger jackson

19 Jul 2019

I've been trying to get a piano patch going on for the sega genesis. A good sounding one from streets of rage:

I can't seem to find an appropriate sample in the menus or a patch online. Anyone know?

dannyF

19 Jul 2019

tiger jackson wrote:
19 Jul 2019
I've been trying to get a piano patch going on for the sega genesis. A good sounding one from streets of rage:

I can't seem to find an appropriate sample in the menus or a patch online. Anyone know?
I think RAGE should have been written in blood, not STREETS

hurricane
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2019

Use Rymcast to rip patches from Streets of Rage and then use RYM2612 to play them.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

tiger jackson

21 Jul 2019

joeyluck wrote:
20 Jul 2019
hurricane wrote:
19 Jul 2019
Use Rymcast to rip patches from Streets of Rage and then use RYM2612 to play them.
:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :)

RYM2612
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... nthesizer/

RYMCast
https://www.inphonik.com/products/rymca ... gm-player/

Project 2612 - Streets of Rage
https://project2612.org/details.php?id=53
Looks pretty interesting, will look into purchasing RYM2612. Any deals off expected soon?

joeyluck

21 Jul 2019

tiger jackson wrote:
21 Jul 2019
Looks pretty interesting, will look into purchasing RYM2612. Any deals off expected soon?
Not that I know of, but it's a steal at $49 IMO.

The companion app, RYMCast is free and so are the files on Project 2612. And then you can use the trial of RYM2612 to check out the importing of patches into Reason with the simple drag and drop. Very cool and lots of fun :)

MannequinRaces

21 Jul 2019

I had no idea RYMCast was such a powerful value added piece of software! RYM2612 has gone straight to the top of my ‘buy this next’ list. In the past I don’t remember it going on sale and if it did it wasn’t a lot. $49 seems reasonable.

joeyluck

21 Jul 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
21 Jul 2019
I had no idea RYMCast was such a powerful value added piece of software! RYM2612 has gone straight to the top of my ‘buy this next’ list. In the past I don’t remember it going on sale and if it did it wasn’t a lot. $49 seems reasonable.
It's one of my most favorite REs :D

For others who might've had RYM2612/RYMCast fly under their radar, here's interview we did with Mathieu and William back around the time when it was released: https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/01/rymcast-and-rym2612/

And a great video about RYMCast/RYM2612:

Oh and let me not forget this awesome album produced with the RYM2612 by God of Rainbows! https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/10/albu ... -rainbows/ (there's some really cool patches linked in that article) :puf_smile:

I think Super Audio Cart is great, and it contains some great samples and patches from many systems. But when it comes to the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive sounds, there's no beating the RYM2612. It's a spot-on emulation, you can import countless patches from your favorite games, and then of course you have a very flexible FM synth at your disposal. RYM2612 even has an audio input for adding that retro grit to external sounds.

MannequinRaces

22 Jul 2019

Thanks for the additional info Joey. I remember reading that article and then it promptly fell off my radar. My upbringing was a steady diet of Nintendo and I didn't have any friends with a Sega so I initially wrote this off as not having the sound that I wanted. Looking back that is all a bunch of BS because what God of Rainbows achieved with this synth is transcendental and the songs are just (I feel like cussing here to emphasize how much I like them but I won't) bonkers. I'll be adding this synth to my collection in due time, no doubt about that!

joeyluck

22 Jul 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
22 Jul 2019
Thanks for the additional info Joey. I remember reading that article and then it promptly fell off my radar. My upbringing was a steady diet of Nintendo and I didn't have any friends with a Sega so I initially wrote this off as not having the sound that I wanted. Looking back that is all a bunch of BS because what God of Rainbows achieved with this synth is transcendental and the songs are just (I feel like cussing here to emphasize how much I like them but I won't) bonkers. I'll be adding this synth to my collection in due time, no doubt about that!
Yeah I was a Nintendo kid as well. I had several friends with a Genesis and always remembered the music being unique sounding, but had no idea about its FM synthesis until I learned about it through the RYM2612. And yeah, that God of Rainbows album is killer :thumbs_up:

strangers
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2019

RYM2612 was on sale during May Madness for $25. I snagged it during the sale and wondered how I never came across it before, especially after getting some cool tips and tricks from joeyluck. There are song files for nearly every game you can think of that you can either mess with or pull sounds from to drop right into the RE. I grew up button mashing Sega controllers up until N64 was released. RYM2612 is a must for any Sega nerd. As much as I like Super Audio Cart, I probably wouldn't have purchased it had I came across RYM2612 first.

It would be pretty sick if the developer was also able to incorporate the Texas Instrument SN76489 (thanks again to joeyluck for the rundown on this part) chip as usable sounds within the RE. Many of the sounds can be recreated with the endless sea of synths we have at our fingertips but seeing and hearing that chipset from the player without being able to grab it may produce a rage quit here and there.

MannequinRaces

22 Jul 2019

Nice to know this has been on sale before. Don’t think I can wait that long, lol. I’m curious now about what sounds the Texas Instruments SN76489 can make!

strangers
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
22 Jul 2019
Nice to know this has been on sale before. Don’t think I can wait that long, lol. I’m curious now about what sounds the Texas Instruments SN76489 can make!
Even at full price this RE is well worth it. Factor in access to nearly every Sega game's soundtrack and you've got an endless sea of free refills. You can even download the RYMCAST player ahead of time to listen to the files before throwing them into RYM2612. It's a lot of fun listening through classics like Splatterhouse, Golden Axe, Toe Jam & Earl, etc.

tiger jackson

23 Jul 2019

Haven't got to it yet but does anyone know any sega genesis tracks that have a 16 bit jazz or acoustic guitar? Just not an overdrive-rock guitar. I was thinking of Hilltop Zone but that's too bassy.

joeyluck

23 Jul 2019

tiger jackson wrote:
23 Jul 2019
Haven't got to it yet but does anyone know any sega genesis tracks that have a 16 bit jazz or acoustic guitar? Just not an overdrive-rock guitar. I was thinking of Hilltop Zone but that's too bassy.
I don't know any games off the top of my head. But in the RYM2612 presets, there's a patch called "Guitar" that makes for a great 16-bit jazz guitar :)

BananaSkins

23 Jul 2019

Was there ever any Tombraider games in this format?

tiger jackson

23 Jul 2019

strangers wrote:
22 Jul 2019
As much as I like Super Audio Cart, I probably wouldn't have purchased it had I came across RYM2612 first
I think I'm almost feeling the same. I was a genesis kid and have always been infatuated with sega genesis soundfronts and ost's. I pretty much bought Super Audio Cart to play with genesis sounds but RYM2612 is sounding much more up my alley. Probably will buy it as soon as i can.

tiger jackson

24 Jul 2019

Also one more thing, does this work with Sega CD and 32x soundtracks?

diminished
Competition Winner

24 Jul 2019

Sorry, since some of you might be familiar with the world of video game sounds, here's a quick question if you don't mind:
From which game is the sample in Biggie's Somebody's Gotta Die?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

joeyluck

24 Jul 2019

diminished wrote:
24 Jul 2019
Sorry, since some of you might be familiar with the world of video game sounds, here's a quick question if you don't mind:
Not sure the sound you are referring to, but I found this:
https://www.whosampled.com/sample/51827 ... -the-Rain/

diminished
Competition Winner

24 Jul 2019

joeyluck wrote:
24 Jul 2019
diminished wrote:
24 Jul 2019
Ah sorry I meant the SuperMarioish style sample first appearing between seconds 5 and 6, that 8-bit "boing boing boingboing". That's a cool site, though, thanks!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

joeyluck

24 Jul 2019

diminished wrote:
24 Jul 2019
joeyluck wrote:
24 Jul 2019

Ah sorry I meant the SuperMarioish style sample first appearing between seconds 5 and 6, that 8-bit "boing boing boingboing". That's a cool site, though, thanks!
Gotcha. Yeah looks like it comes from that song in the link, "In the Rain" by the Dramatics. Jump to 2:49 (they link the time there as well). Sounds like a guitar part that was sped up.

diminished
Competition Winner

24 Jul 2019

Oh I'm blind, sorry. And wow, I could have sworn that this is a sample from a nintendo game. Amazing.

Case closed, sorry for disturbing and thank you!

Zerosity

25 Jul 2019

tiger jackson wrote:
23 Jul 2019
You could give Streets of Rage 2 a try. There's a scene in the game where you progress through a jazz type bar. I think the sounds there might be too smooth and not have the guitar twang you want. Anyway, give it a try.

tiger jackson

25 Jul 2019

Zerosity wrote:
25 Jul 2019
tiger jackson wrote:
23 Jul 2019
You could give Streets of Rage 2 a try. There's a scene in the game where you progress through a jazz type bar. I think the sounds there might be too smooth and not have the guitar twang you want. Anyway, give it a try.
I know exactly which scene you're talking about, that's like my favorite track in the game but haven't heard in years so I don't recall a guitar, I'll see.

• Information