Thinking going into modular (thoughts)

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
sot

18 Jul 2019

thinking to put 1 years saving money to go into modular and buy a make noise shared system, i would like to buy something smaller for now but i think i would lose cause i’d want to expand later and maybe i’d have other responsibilities, i predict minimal savings in the future , also thinking if it would be better to learn something like pure data but i don’t know if i got the nerve to sit and learn a programming language right now, i like reason but i want to go dawless for a while cause screen and mouse got me tired (i come from a fine arts background so i like experimental things but the budget i have is on the edge), thinking if you wait till a new module or version come out or when you are in your comfort zone maybe it will never happen so i’m in this state now
:reason: 10

dannyF

18 Jul 2019

and that was the last anyone heard from him....

O1B

19 Jul 2019

You have Make Noise. You have Verbos. Intellijel. Erica Synths.

You're Spoiled for Choice.

I'd prefer pieces of each - but, no better way to dive in than to get a Full System and start there.
I went the RackBrute 6u Route, and started with MN Maths and Mordax DATA. No regrets.

Godspeed,
O1B
sot wrote:
18 Jul 2019
thinking to put 1 years saving money to go into modular and buy a make noise shared system, i would like to buy something smaller for now but i think i would lose cause i’d want to expand later and maybe i’d have other responsibilities, i predict minimal savings in the future , also thinking if it would be better to learn something like pure data but i don’t know if i got the nerve to sit and learn a programming language right now, i like reason but i want to go dawless for a while cause screen and mouse got me tired (i come from a fine arts background so i like experimental things but the budget i have is on the edge), thinking if you wait till a new module or version come out or when you are in your comfort zone maybe it will never happen so i’m in this state now

sot

19 Jul 2019

thx for replys, i'm drawing racks on modulargrid to see all the options :)

16BitBear

20 Jul 2019

Getting into modulars is fun & there is a lot of creative control. With that said, it is an expensive hobby, and a year's saving is a lot of money to invest in it right off the bat. If you have no experience with modular, spend a little on a good software version first. Play around, learn how it works, and whether you can create the sounds you desire. Then consider investing but definitely not a whole year's worth of savings.

sot

21 Jul 2019

yes it's a lot to spend if you are not 100% sure about it, so i'm searching and seeing a lot of other options like system cartesian with one or two more modules which is half price to the big one shared system, seeing a lot of videos about modular to get a better idea of want i really want and what i'm gonna do with it, it's easy to get overboard when you are starting because we are spoiled with the unlimited features of plugs ins and daws and if you want to do all that with quality hardware you're going broke from the start

boingy

21 Jul 2019

I think you need to try a modular system before you splash too much cash. They are at the hardcore end of the sound design spectrum. Expensive, bulky and "recalling a patch" is very slow(!). There are lots of other options if you just need to get away from the computer for a while...

dannyF

21 Jul 2019

You could also go "half way". Semi modular synths are also cool and give you the best of both worlds while also being cheaper.

Resonator

21 Jul 2019

dannyF wrote:
21 Jul 2019
You could also go "half way". Semi modular synths are also cool and give you the best of both worlds while also being cheaper.
I was just about to say that as well. The Behringer Neutron is a good starting point.

dannyF

21 Jul 2019

Resonator wrote:
21 Jul 2019
dannyF wrote:
21 Jul 2019
I was just about to say that as well. The Behringer Neutron is a good starting point.
true. If money was an issue, Neutron is good choice.

There is also the Minibrute 2s, Mother 32, etc etc.

sot

21 Jul 2019

from semi-modular my mind is mostly Dreadbox,0-Coast etc and there is this new thing coming...

or else i'd prefer elektron if not full modular , yes too much choises nowdays...

selig
RE Developer

21 Jul 2019

dannyF wrote:
21 Jul 2019
Resonator wrote:
21 Jul 2019

true. If money was an issue, Neutron is good choice.

There is also the Minibrute 2s, Mother 32, etc etc.
I went the MiniBrute 2s route with a 6U rack, most fun I've had in my life long interaction and love of synthesizers (since the 1970s)!
Selig Audio, LLC

sot

21 Jul 2019

Didn't see the 2s model i thought all models have normal keys, going to watch reviews from this too now :)

dannyF

21 Jul 2019

sot wrote:
21 Jul 2019
Didn't see the 2s model i thought all models have normal keys, going to watch reviews from this too now :)
I think the 2s is considered the better one to get due to its sequencer. I have one too.

selig
RE Developer

22 Jul 2019

dannyF wrote:
21 Jul 2019
sot wrote:
21 Jul 2019
I think the 2s is considered the better one to get due to its sequencer. I have one too.
The 2s sequencer is indeed handy, even if you don't need it as a note sequencer. For my setup, I use either Reason or my Novation SL mkIII for note sequencing. This frees the 2s sequencer for MANY possible applications. I have cables in place to send two of the sequencer's lanes to the 6U Eurorack modules above, and use the incredibly cool LFO and ENV features of the sequencer (pretty unique IMO) for tempo based control of the two Eururack voices.

Since the 2s can tempo sync via either MIDI (from my SL mkIII) or USB (from Reason), I have plenty of options for including it in the setup.

It's pretty deep as a sequencer, and flexible too. I wish some of it's features were included in other products!
Selig Audio, LLC

dannyF

23 Jul 2019

selig wrote:
22 Jul 2019
dannyF wrote:
21 Jul 2019

The 2s sequencer is indeed handy, even if you don't need it as a note sequencer. For my setup, I use either Reason or my Novation SL mkIII for note sequencing. This frees the 2s sequencer for MANY possible applications. I have cables in place to send two of the sequencer's lanes to the 6U Eurorack modules above, and use the incredibly cool LFO and ENV features of the sequencer (pretty unique IMO) for tempo based control of the two Eururack voices.

Since the 2s can tempo sync via either MIDI (from my SL mkIII) or USB (from Reason), I have plenty of options for including it in the setup.

It's pretty deep as a sequencer, and flexible too. I wish some of it's features were included in other products!
Not attempting to derail this thread. Selig, do you know if its possible to control two external synths with the sequencer from the 2S ?

I am thinking for a 2nd synth could you set up Mod1 and Mod2 channels to pitch and gate, then output those jacks in the midi output modular section (mod1 & mod2 ) to pitch and gate of external synth? Would they correctly run separately from Channel 1 and 2 ( pitch and gate ) ?

selig
RE Developer

23 Jul 2019

dannyF wrote:
23 Jul 2019
Not attempting to derail this thread. Selig, do you know if its possible to control two external synths with the sequencer from the 2S ?

I am thinking for a 2nd synth could you set up Mod1 and Mod2 channels to pitch and gate, then output those jacks in the midi output modular section (mod1 & mod2 ) to pitch and gate of external synth? Would they correctly run separately from Channel 1 and 2 ( pitch and gate ) ?
OK, there CAN be up to three separate "tracks" in the 2s sequencer. By default there is one track, with four lanes (using Reasons nomenclature). Lane three and four (mod 1 & mod 2can be switched away from their default settings, and thus they "break away" from track one. When you do this, you get separate length/rate/direction for each, which is awesome.

One scenario would be to set mod 1 & mod 2 to Note and Gate respectively. That would give you two totally separate note/gate sequencers, linked by overall tempo but able to be separately set to 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, or 1/32 rate/multipliers.

Another would be for mod 1 & mod 2 to both be set to note, for three note tracks total.

I also find the clever LFO and ENV settings for mod 1 & mod 2 to be extremely useful, as well as the static voltage options per step. Since the 2s is always synced to my master clock, this allows quick rhythmic timed modulations in the MiniBrute or even more commonly in the Eurorack modules.
Selig Audio, LLC

kinkujin

23 Jul 2019

I went to the Moog Mother 32 and am very glad I did. I also got the DFAM. The sequencer in the Mother is great - I enjoy the limitations of no keyboard (yet there is a midi input should you need it). I'm very glad I went the semi-mod route first as I now feel that even that is way over my head and I'd be lost had I jumped into fully modular. Also, given time limitations it was the better choice.

Best of luck with your adventure!

dannyF

23 Jul 2019

kinkujin wrote:
23 Jul 2019
I went to the Moog Mother 32 and am very glad I did. I also got the DFAM. The sequencer in the Mother is great - I enjoy the limitations of no keyboard (yet there is a midi input should you need it). I'm very glad I went the semi-mod route first as I now feel that even that is way over my head and I'd be lost had I jumped into fully modular. Also, given time limitations it was the better choice.

Best of luck with your adventure!
Good one. That's the way I went. Plus, I have used Eurorack modules as an effect rack alongside my synths and semi modular synths. So its one little step into that world, but not enough to get lost in the rabbit hole.

Aosta

23 Jul 2019

I love this guy's channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/hello6am/videos
And this guy has some great content
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1zIiK ... l2N68pWF8g

See you at the other end of the rabbit hole :)
Tend the flame

emilng

24 Jul 2019

Eurorack is not the only modular format out there.

If you're strapped for cash I would look into going the AE modular route instead. https://www.tangiblewaves.com/ You can get a complete system for the cost of a eurorack case.
Here's a good playlist with plenty of examples of what you can do with this format https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... XHucNug-hF

I know you mentioned that you want to get away from the screen, but before you spend $$$ on a full system you might want to try out https://vcvrack.com/ to see if modular is even something you want to wrap your head around. It has the full workflow which is very different than working in a DAW. The best thing about it is that it's free!
mostly modular experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/maztik8r

sot

24 Jul 2019

thank you guys for all the info and links! for the last week i was reading/watching videos about all systems including vcv and other software which is the best way to demo this thing, my head is about to explode from all the variety and customization that exists and every day i see updated modules and new systems appear, both digital super modules like Percussa's SSP and analog ones, so now i'll request some quotes from some shops if they can do a better price for some things i have in my mind and searching the used market too and i'll see what to do :)

O1B

24 Jul 2019

Nice n' Easy.... nice n' easy.... You'll get there.

I hope so, too, one Day. But, in the meanwhile...
Studio O1B.png
Studio O1B.png (763.01 KiB) Viewed 3824 times

Faastwalker

24 Jul 2019

Aosta wrote:
23 Jul 2019
See you at the other end of the rabbit hole :)
There is no end! You think your at the end ........ then you find a bigger case. There are even 'alternate' cases (known as the 'multi-case'). It's ever expanding. Into what we're not sure. But definitely into your bank account for one thing.

Aosta

24 Jul 2019

sot wrote:
24 Jul 2019
thank you guys for all the info and links! for the last week i was reading/watching videos about all systems including vcv and other software which is the best way to demo this thing, my head is about to explode from all the variety and customization that exists and every day i see updated modules and new systems appear, both digital super modules like Percussa's SSP and analog ones, so now i'll request some quotes from some shops if they can do a better price for some things i have in my mind and searching the used market too and i'll see what to do :)
If you really want to jump off the deep end then check out this......erm 'enthusiastic' guy

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCafxR2 ... MTw/videos
Tend the flame

• Information