Swimming Vs The Gym

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
sleep1979

18 Jul 2019

so I started the gym Monday
wow I felt weaker than an old granny I couldn't do much
Tuesday went again
last few days I tried swimming that killed me way more I was dying but it was more fun
what do you think burns more calories and give you more muscles gym or swimming
I may mix it up do both but I find the gym boring tbh

eusti

18 Jul 2019

I think doing what you enjoy will most likely be better for you as chances are higher that you’ll actually stick with it.

D.

craven

18 Jul 2019

swimming is a great way of working out while not being too harsh on your joints. Even fast hiking helps. Set yourself little goals to keep you going and to see the progress. I had similar experiences - went to a spin cycle class with my gf and couldn't walk for days afterwards. I actually did it wrong and the next time I joined that class again, it was much better during and afterwards. Still I felt that spin cycling is not for me and I rather do swimming, fast hiking and whenever I have the choice to take the stairs I'll make good use of that. That is at least better than doing nothing and much better than going to the gym. :)
:ugeek:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Jul 2019

Try Gamma radiation. Quicker and easier. Worked for David Banner.
Attachments
A4C1D10F-3C57-4680-A7DD-249BF4C010B2.jpeg
A4C1D10F-3C57-4680-A7DD-249BF4C010B2.jpeg (65.4 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

sleep1979

18 Jul 2019

craven wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2019
swimming is a great way of working out while not being too harsh on your joints. Even fast hiking helps. Set yourself little goals to keep you going and to see the progress. I had similar experiences - went to a spin cycle class with my gf and couldn't walk for days afterwards. I actually did it wrong and the next time I joined that class again, it was much better during and afterwards. Still I felt that spin cycling is not for me and I rather do swimming, fast hiking and whenever I have the choice to take the stairs I'll make good use of that. That is at least better than doing nothing and much better than going to the gym. :)
I got a great deal where I get the gym swimming and 4 kids go free every time I go per month for Β£40 ( I only have two kids )
me and my boy are gonna do it together 4 or 5 times per week that will be enough
im thinking swimming as I enjoy that and its a skill that I can improve at when I swim in the sea .

sleep1979

18 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2019
Try Gamma radiation. Quicker and easier. Worked for David Banner.
if only one monthly radiation pass please haha
I don't wanna to be no muscle bound meathead though just fit slimmer :D

dannyF

18 Jul 2019

Where were you swimming?

Most pools are loaded with chlorine. Your body absorbs it like mad. I would avoid, that and unless you have a reverse osmosis water filter limit baths and showers too.

reggie1979

18 Jul 2019

I have a pool at my gym but I get dizzy and faint when I swim.

taddx

18 Jul 2019

None of it works, just go for a beer.

EnochLight

18 Jul 2019

I've had gym membership for 4 months. I've used it twice... XD :lol: :lol: :lol: There's a pool, but I'm too impatient to get into a suit, swim, shower, the whole bit - just too much of a hassle for me. Plus, our winters here are harsh, and I don't want to even begin that road.

But swimming is far less impactful on your joints, and great for those who are of the "older" category (raises hand). Swimming is a fantastic way to stay healthy.

I wouldn't worry about chlorine. Career Olympic swimmers have been swimming in chlorinated pools their entire career, and for far longer and far more often than a few days a week at the gym like us plebes may do.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Β Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

w1pl0c

18 Jul 2019

Balance my dude.

sleep1979

18 Jul 2019

dannyF wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2019
Where were you swimming?

Most pools are loaded with chlorine. Your body absorbs it like mad. I would avoid, that and unless you have a reverse osmosis water filter limit baths and showers too.
just don't wash yeah ?
grow my hair like newton Faulkner ? lol

sleep1979

18 Jul 2019

EnochLight wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2019
I've had gym membership for 4 months. I've used it twice... XD :lol: :lol: :lol: There's a pool, but I'm too impatient to get into a suit, swim, shower, the whole bit - just too much of a hassle for me. Plus, our winters here are harsh, and I don't want to even begin that road.

But swimming is far less impactful on your joints, and great for those who are of the "older" category (raises hand). Swimming is a fantastic way to stay healthy.

I wouldn't worry about chlorine. Career Olympic swimmers have been swimming in chlorinated pools their entire career, and for far longer and far more often than a few days a week at the gym like us plebes may do.
swimming killed me more than the gym ive had my membership a few days I went gym twice hated it was a struggle
swimming killed me way more was dying , went once , missed out today but going tomorrow but I think swimming 4 times a week
I cant pay for something if I don't use it so got a rolling one month contract to start
I aint gonna worry about chroline we have fluoride in our water for fuck sake lol we all dying slowly

Zac

18 Jul 2019

I've been swimming five times in the last few weeks. I forgot how much i love it. I've just swam very gently for half an hour just lapping up the sensation of buoyancy. I always feel great afterwards.

dannyF

18 Jul 2019

sleep1979 wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2019
18 Jul 2019
Where were you swimming?

just don't wash yeah ?
I have no idea who that is. But I've not shaved, cut my hair or wore deodorant for the last 2 1/2 years.

sleep1979

18 Jul 2019

18 Jul 2019
18 Jul 2019

just don't wash yeah ?
I have no idea who that is. But I've not shaved, cut my hair or wore deodorant for the last 2 1/2 years.
that's probably why robin hood stayed away

sleep1979

18 Jul 2019

18 Jul 2019
18 Jul 2019

just don't wash yeah ?
ed Sheeran with dreadlock's

sleep1979

18 Jul 2019

craven wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2019
Yeah gym sucks

sleep1979

18 Jul 2019

Zac wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2019
I've been swimming five times in the last few weeks. I forgot how much i love it. I've just swam very gently for half an hour just lapping up the sensation of buoyancy. I always feel great afterwards.
Im gonna do an hour 4/5 times per week half hour pushing half hour slow and recovering πŸ˜‚

boingy

18 Jul 2019

Swimming: tedious.
Gym: tedious and surrounded by people who will judge you.

reggie1979

19 Jul 2019

Yeah, but f..them. Do what you do and don't worry about that. They are the aholes.

lakinlakin

19 Jul 2019

18 Jul 2019
This is the way to go.

Start easy. Think long term.

sleep1979

19 Jul 2019

boingy wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2019
Swimming: tedious.
Gym: tedious and surrounded by people who will judge you.
Gym is full of smarmy gits who forget about how weak they used to be ,
Swimmings not tedious i can use that skill in the ocean
But its hard getting your ass up to go ive managed 2 gym sessions and one swim gonna swim today
And what i can so right now is so mediocre πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ so what right ?

sleep1979

19 Jul 2019

lakinlakin wrote: ↑
19 Jul 2019
18 Jul 2019
This is the way to go.

Start easy. Think long term.
I may do
Well see thanks man

dannyF

19 Jul 2019

Some of the gym comments here are so spot on with my last expereince.

Last time I went to the gym I was the only one in it, the guy at the front was playing some old school drum & bass I was really enjoying it, until two meatheads walked in....proclaimed loudly in the gym that 'only druggies like this kind of music' and got the guy at the front to swap it for some modern depressive shit they brought in. I did feel judged.

I had enough of the little egos in gyms and now workout with indian clubs, persian meels and chin up bar at home. F gyms.

• Information