Minimal Mass Production

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
reasonsuser88

16 Jul 2019

I would like to reach a level of producing 6 instrumental tracks in a 12 hour day so that's 2 hours per project. I want to keep things simple with minimalism in mind to leave room for vocals. I'm going for pop music song structure. What ideas do you have to reach a high level of productivity? I'm thinking I should build some drum combinators with gating based on randomization. Then there is also the option of CV tuning the randomization of melodic content. Any other ideas for becoming a machine or making the most out of minimalism?
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

guitfnky

16 Jul 2019

is there a particular reason you need to be so prolific? asking out of curiosity more than anything.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

reasonsuser88

16 Jul 2019

guitfnky wrote:
16 Jul 2019
is there a particular reason you need to be so prolific? asking out of curiosity more than anything.
I'd like to have a catalogue pretty soon while building momentum for a profile under a different alias. The passion in this project isn't rooted in the music but rather overseeing the functionality of the music while utilizing my mixing experience. I've done a few big passion projects over the years but this one is a matter of building a bridge so to speak.

reasonsuser88

16 Jul 2019

As I begin the second project of the day, I now appreciate ID8 more to get simple progressions down instead of getting lost in synthesis. Heh.

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

16 Jul 2019

I've been experimenting with this idea as well. I think it's possible to radically increase efficiency and it seems like a semi-generative system is the key. As far as I can tell, the only way to dramatically cut production time without sacrificing quality and authenticity is for a composer to develop a system that can take a simple but unique input and transform it into a more complex structure.

For this purpose, I've been setting up template Combinators for different instrument types. Each Combinator has a Kompulsion Player device feeding the instrument, with LFO's controlling various parameters. This allows me to make use of probability, controlled randomization and automation for things like note choice, timing and velocity.

There's the added benefit of the system often yielding musical results that I would never directly compose. It really does feel like I'm giving some chord changes to the band and they're making it come alive. The caveat to all this is that you can't get something for nothing; the potential time I'm saving in the future is partially being spent in pre-production setting up the system. But all in all, I think it's worth it!

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Jul 2019

:twisted:

reasonsuser88

16 Jul 2019

Timmy Crowne wrote:
16 Jul 2019
For this purpose, I've been setting up template Combinators for different instrument types. Each Combinator has a Kompulsion Player device feeding the instrument, with LFO's controlling various parameters. This allows me to make use of probability, controlled randomization and automation for things like note choice, timing and velocity.
Good ideas there. I will most likely set up templates for each instrument. I haven't messed with Kompulsion yet but I have the other sequencing devices. I was just trying Euclid on some hat patterns. I haven't really appreciated this automated approach that Reason is pushing until I reached this phase of wanting to increase my functional productivity. I'm used to spending all day on a massive project but it's like everything changes when I'm going fishing! It is actually pretty liberating to let go of trying to surpass my previous experiences as an artist while focusing more on functionality.
aeox wrote:
16 Jul 2019
:twisted:
Funny enough, in addition to the mental clarity achieved from not being a drunk, I've been taking a few nootropic supplements for a month now. The smart pills are working! Ahah. This is pretty amusing as if I'm watching myself make music rather than listening.

• Information