Sequences from Robotic Bean - 1.3 is out!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
skatebird

29 Jun 2019

FiatLux wrote:
27 Jun 2019
Is there an updated 1.1 manual available?
Not yet, but we'll do it asap :) feel free to ask questions in the meantime!
I have nothing to say, and I'm saying it. - John Cage

stp2015

30 Jun 2019

Really nice update. Glad I purchased this RE immediately when it came out. My next two update wishes (though I do not want to seem too demanding, this is already great!) are:
  • ratcheting lane (like the cv lanes)
  • slide (per note if possible)
  • ability to set root key of sequence (e.g, if I record a sequence in a-minor, transpose should be "neutral" if I hit the A key. Currently I record a sequence and then shift it to C, but this can be bothersome if not all steps are visible etc)
But again, thanks for this great looking and inspiring RE. Hope you are making some money from it.

artotaku

30 Jun 2019

Obviously, since we can now save Sequences patches you can put melody or bass lines in your favorite lists in the Reason browser (that´s why it has been requested here by folks).

But what is not so obvious: if you already have existing MIDI notes on the Reason sequencer you can record them into Sequences and save the patch, thus making them available in your favorites as well.

You can even transfer notes from PolyStep to Sequences by stacking them up and record the notes.

Same principle applies if you want to just copy a single pattern from one Sequences player to another (and for the unfearful among us you can also edit the XML Sequences patch file).

buddard
RE Developer

03 Jul 2019

Another cool trick you can do now that we have a patch browser is to copy a pattern from one patch to the other:
  1. Open the "source patch"
  2. Copy the pattern or note selection you want to transfer
  3. Open the "destination patch"
  4. Select the destination pattern
  5. Paste
Last edited by buddard on 03 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.

skatebird

03 Jul 2019

New Quick Tip video on the Length Lane!

I have nothing to say, and I'm saying it. - John Cage

buddard
RE Developer

05 Jul 2019

By the way, Anders updated the User Guide for 1.1 a few days ago. We uploaded it to the shop, but apparently Propellerhead hasn't had time to review nor approve the updated page, so it's not visible yet.

In the meantime you can download it from our server instead.

reddust

05 Jul 2019

buddard wrote:
05 Jul 2019
By the way, Anders updated the User Guide for 1.1 a few days ago. We uploaded it to the shop, but apparently Propellerhead hasn't had time to review nor approve the updated page, so it's not visible yet.

Nice, thanks, I was thinking about this the other day after seeing that some "bigger" things came into the last update :thumbup:

antic604

05 Jul 2019

buddard wrote:
05 Jul 2019

Please consider adding an option for double (or at least 1.5x) height notes. Very often when I want to add or delete a note I'll click the grid cell above or below the one I intended, because they aren't high enough.

Re8et
Competition Winner

05 Jul 2019

Ohhh, it is time to get at work!!!
Nice job Panda!!!!

buddard
RE Developer

05 Jul 2019

Re8et wrote:
05 Jul 2019
Nice job Panda!!!!
No pandas were harmed in the making of this Robotic Bean product. 😉

Re8et
Competition Winner

05 Jul 2019

buddard wrote:
05 Jul 2019
Re8et wrote:
05 Jul 2019
Nice job Panda!!!!
No pandas were harmed in the making of this Robotic Bean product. 😉
Ops.., I mean buddard!

tiker01

06 Jul 2019

antic604 wrote:
05 Jul 2019
buddard wrote:
05 Jul 2019

Please consider adding an option for double (or at least 1.5x) height notes. Very often when I want to add or delete a note I'll click the grid cell above or below the one I intended, because they aren't high enough.
I guess this depends greatly on your display. However, I can imagine a vertical zoom option.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

antic604

06 Jul 2019

tiker01 wrote:
06 Jul 2019
antic604 wrote:
05 Jul 2019

I guess this depends greatly on your display. However, I can imagine a vertical zoom option.
I'm on an 15'' 1080p screen, which is a typical laptop combo so that's hardly unusual. And very rarely I complain about something being too small, but in this case I think it is.

buddard
RE Developer

07 Jul 2019

antic604 wrote:
06 Jul 2019
tiker01 wrote:
06 Jul 2019

I'm on an 15'' 1080p screen, which is a typical laptop combo so that's hardly unusual. And very rarely I complain about something being too small, but in this case I think it is.
I'm a bit reluctant to add a zoom option, partly because it means squeezing in zoom controls in an already crowded display, and partly because it would impact a pretty big portion of the display code, which means spending hours that could have been spent adding more lanes instead...

As an alternative, I'm playing around with a smarter click detection algorithm that expands the vertical hit area for notes that don't have notes directly above/below them by about 50%. So you would still see the same view, but hitting notes should be easier.

PhillipOrdonez

07 Jul 2019

buddard wrote:
07 Jul 2019
antic604 wrote:
06 Jul 2019

I'm a bit reluctant to add a zoom option, partly because it means squeezing in zoom controls in an already crowded display, and partly because it would impact a pretty big portion of the display code, which means spending hours that could have been spent adding more lanes instead...

As an alternative, I'm playing around with a smarter click detection algorithm that expands the vertical hit area for notes that don't have notes directly above/below them by about 50%. So you would still see the same view, but hitting notes should be easier.
That sounds good!

rgdaniel

07 Jul 2019

buddard wrote:
07 Jul 2019
Something that would help me greatly, which I think would not overcrowd the GUI, is if the tiny little red indicator lights on the eight pattern buttons were easier to read. I have a bit of trouble with red in general, so ideally they would be a bit of a lighter shade, but also they could stand to be about 2-3 times larger to be comfortably legible without dominating the button space. As it is I have to really lean in to even tell which button is lit. Or open up Windows Magnify tool, which literally gives me a headache after a while. (In fairness, Magnify is fine when used sparingly, and was an absolute lifesaver back when I had cataracts.)

antic604

08 Jul 2019

buddard wrote:
07 Jul 2019
antic604 wrote:
06 Jul 2019

Yep, that sounds very good - thanks! :)

buddard
RE Developer

08 Jul 2019

By the way we just released update 1.1.2, which resolves a loop-related sync problem that was found by futurebit.

Also, the product page now has the updated User Guide!

buddard
RE Developer

15 Jul 2019

ljekio wrote:
15 Jul 2019
Why new Sequence have not empty default patch?
By request from our beta testers.
And besides, clearing the pattern is just one click away! :puf_smile:

Sterioevo

16 Jul 2019

buddard wrote:
17 Jun 2019
Sterioevo wrote:
16 Jun 2019

Hi Buddard, is it possible to provide a remote override for the record button?
The reason I ask is that the record button on the props Drum Sequencer is available as an override.
I haven't reread the whole thread so I may have missed a response. Thanks Steve
This question has come up a couple of times. :D

No, it is not possible to successfully provide a remote override for record buttons in REs. You can activate record just fine, but deactivating record and saving the sequence to persistent memory won't work.

Try it with Drum Sequencer: You'll notice that as soon as you turn off Record via Remote, the recorded data is lost. Most likely they added this Remote object by mistake, and can't remove it now due to backwards compatibility.

Having looked at this a bit more I have come to the conclusion that a remote override for the record button is useful.

My reasoning is that you can trigger recording of a loop via the remote override and then manually disable recording with a mouse click, and retain/save the recorded loop. E.g. you can use a midi foot pedal to trigger recording of the loop, capture what you need and save the pattern.

Sure it would be nice to end the recording remotely as well, however, the desired functionality to activate hands free recording and save is available.

ljekio

16 Jul 2019

I had a slightly different thought. Automate recording along with switching patterns to continuously record eight takes in a row, and then they would be played serially. ))

Sterioevo

16 Jul 2019

Would be great if you could. As it stands the only way to save the recorded pattern is a manual mouse click to deactivate recording

stp2015

23 Jul 2019

Hi again :)

Would it be possible to add a transpose CV out (or even several copies) so that one could transpose multiple "Sequences" instances at the same time?

That way one could have a melody, bass, chords and experiment with chords of the entire song.

• Information