Delta MIDI Computer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Re8et
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2019

mjxl wrote:
12 Jul 2019
This thing is really epic. I guess it can do almost everything we'd ever want regarding MIDI manipulation.

Here's a short clip with 5 modules, and moving a couple cables around:

I've also sent you a PM ;P
NIce vid, very cinematic also :thumbs_up:

PhillipOrdonez

12 Jul 2019

This device now lives in my rack. I've added it to my template and done 3 tracks with it since I purchased it.

Congrats to the developer for this remarkable device! And looking forward to more nodes. Thank you!

djadalaide

13 Jul 2019

I didn't see this coming.

I've been blindsided.

I need professional help.

MannequinRaces

13 Jul 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Jul 2019
This device now lives in my rack. I've added it to my template and done 3 tracks with it since I purchased it.

Congrats to the developer for this remarkable device! And looking forward to more nodes. Thank you!
That’s awesome! What did you use Delta for in each of your three tracks?

zoidkirb

13 Jul 2019

I found a possible minor bug possibly. If I have a loop going in the sequencer, if I put the play cursor past the right locator and continue playing, Delta does something funny to any incoming midi signal from my midi keyboard (basically blocks the incoming notes)
Anyone else?

PinkSlime

14 Jul 2019

This device needs some time to delve deep into. For a start I made a "human" strumming preset i am very happy with and played around with the "if" outputs to introduce delays and extra notes for variation. The concept is strong, the functions are just right and this is a very efficient and versatile tool. I trust the developer fully if there are any more ideas for modules or extra options within them in the future. I am simply very happy with this purchase and everything it already offers. Excellent piece of work and quite impressive when I read this was done in the spare time we all have for ourselves and our hobbies

ksniod

14 Jul 2019

Tried it, bought it.
Fun, clever yet quite easy to use, and plenty of presets.
Well done.

PhillipOrdonez

14 Jul 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
13 Jul 2019
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Jul 2019

That’s awesome! What did you use Delta for in each of your three tracks?
I mostly use the chance and if modules plus delays and transposition to create variations in different elements. In one track I used the CV modules to send out a single melody to 4 different instruments for my bass. This device is ripe for experimentation that results in usable, musical material 😀

motuscott

14 Jul 2019

Insane, this thing is.
Big up to Socram for supporting the REosphere.

I'm now buying computer applications that are smarter than me. I guess this is how it begins...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Socram
RE Developer

15 Jul 2019

Thank you all for the ongoing feedback and positive comments, I am blown away!
zoidkirb wrote:
13 Jul 2019
I found a possible minor bug possibly. If I have a loop going in the sequencer, if I put the play cursor past the right locator and continue playing, Delta does something funny to any incoming midi signal from my midi keyboard (basically blocks the incoming notes)
Anyone else?
I not sure I'm doing exactly what you're describing here, but I'm not seeing any behavior like that based on what I've tried. Do you mind sending me a PM with some more explicit reproduction steps, or even an example project?
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2019

Right...I’m not sure what I did but yesterday I got an Unknown Exception error message. I’d downloaded the Demo then stuck one of the included combis on Rad Piano. I then went into the combi and started building all sorts of crap on one of the Deltas when Reason suddenly crashed and I had to open Task Manager to get it to shut down. I’m trying to make it happen again. Anybody else?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Socram
RE Developer

15 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
15 Jul 2019
Right...I’m not sure what I did but yesterday I got an Unknown Exception error message. I’d downloaded the Demo then stuck one of the included combis on Rad Piano. I then went into the combi and started building all sorts of crap on one of the Deltas when Reason suddenly crashed and I had to open Task Manager to get it to shut down. I’m trying to make it happen again. Anybody else?
Sorry to hear that, I haven't had any other reports of this sort of behavior, and RE's are sandboxed in such a way that even when they catastrophically crash they shouldn't bring down Reason with it.

Were there any other devices in the rack, in particular any VSTs? "Unknown Exception" seems like a strange report to get back from an RE crash, usually it will at least say the failing device.

Please let me know if you experience this again, definitely would want to get this fixed ASAP if Delta is the cause.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2019

Socram wrote:
15 Jul 2019
MrFigg wrote:
15 Jul 2019
Sorry to hear that, I haven't had any other reports of this sort of behavior, and RE's are sandboxed in such a way that even when they catastrophically crash they shouldn't bring down Reason with it.

Were there any other devices in the rack, in particular any VSTs? "Unknown Exception" seems like a strange report to get back from an RE crash, usually it will at least say the failing device.

Please let me know if you experience this again, definitely would want to get this fixed ASAP if Delta is the cause.
I thought it was pretty weird too. There was a box with text behind the unknown exception box but every time I tried to close the error box a new one popped up so I couldn’t read what was behind it. I was really throwing a lot of weird stuff at Delta so it might just have been a one off. Fingers crossed. I’ll let you know if I manage to do it again.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

zoidkirb

15 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
15 Jul 2019
Maybe unrelated but here goes - I had reason crash a couple of times yesterday which basically never happens. Couldn't close it from task manager even. At the same time I had windows updates pending. I recall seeing the words 'unknown exception error' but I forget now at which point.
I wasn't running delta at the time but I was running some heavy cv stuff inside combis. I'm hoping Windows update and a couple of power cycles will clear that up for today

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Jul 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
15 Jul 2019
MrFigg wrote:
15 Jul 2019
Maybe unrelated but here goes - I had reason crash a couple of times yesterday which basically never happens. Couldn't close it from task manager even. At the same time I had windows updates pending. I recall seeing the words 'unknown exception error' but I forget now at which point.
I wasn't running delta at the time but I was running some heavy cv stuff inside combis. I'm hoping Windows update and a couple of power cycles will clear that up for today
That sounds like a plausible explanation. Thanks :). Just hope it’s temporary.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

two shoes

16 Jul 2019

seqoi wrote:
11 Jul 2019
two shoes wrote:
10 Jul 2019
This is a cool concept but I’m struggling to understand why you developed it as a player rack extension. Most of the use cases I can think of for a device like this would require the ability to freely route midi between different devices, but neither REs or VSTs can do this in Reason so it seems like the vast majority of potential applications are impossible in the Reason rack.

Given that PH has shown zero interest in finishing Reason’s broken, partial support for the VST format, or even given us any indication that they understand the importance of doing so, I’m scratching my head a bit trying to understand why you would begin this project as a player device instead of a vst, let alone spend a year on it :shock: Isn’t it crippled until/unless they finish implementing VST support which, again, I’m not holding my breath for, or what am I missing here?
A piss on a party... I hope developer doesn't really take your post seriously.

What you are missing here is the fact that world doesn't turn around your views and expectations.

If you find tools "crippled", "broken", or "partially supported" I am struggling to understand why you use them? Haven't yo utried and test them before you bought them?

I'm scratching my head a bit trying to understand why you would expect a developer explain his long lasting future decision or plans to you?

And why do you expect from someone to change them for you? If you are aware of better solutions why having a pain?
lol, sorry my post turned you into such an emotional wreck. It was not my intent to burst anyone's bubble, just trying to understand the thinking behind a modular midi processing plugin built for a format that lacks, well, midi connectivity...

Loque

16 Jul 2019

I think i need more time with this thing to get my head around, what things i can do with it beside the normal stuff. The way to create some kind of data flows with manipulation is kinda insane...I am thinking about how i can use this to manipulate normal CV signals...

What i directly missed was the ability to limit the note range. If i have something that generates notes randomly, i often have notes that are too low or too high. Would be great, to set them in the right range before they go into a delay or chord. Maybe some kind of filter with selectable type?

Another few things that could be different imo is, that draggin in an empty space just moves the paint area instead of lasso-selection and the lasso comes with shift-key.

Hopefully in the next Reason version i can have a pop out full screen window for this...
Reason12, Win10

Socram
RE Developer

16 Jul 2019

Loque wrote:
16 Jul 2019
I think i need more time with this thing to get my head around, what things i can do with it beside the normal stuff. The way to create some kind of data flows with manipulation is kinda insane...I am thinking about how i can use this to manipulate normal CV signals...

What i directly missed was the ability to limit the note range. If i have something that generates notes randomly, i often have notes that are too low or too high. Would be great, to set them in the right range before they go into a delay or chord. Maybe some kind of filter with selectable type?

Another few things that could be different imo is, that draggin in an empty space just moves the paint area instead of lasso-selection and the lasso comes with shift-key.

Hopefully in the next Reason version i can have a pop out full screen window for this...
You can use velocity and the gate CV Outputs to get normal CV signal generation, although pretty limited currently I admit. I have an idea to make a version of Delta specifically for CV processing, but with less and less people seemingly taking advantage of CV these days (at least it feels that way) I am not sure its worth the time.

I tried to give a lot ton of control over randomization. You can set the upper and lower bounds of how much the Transpose Random randomizes, relative to the incoming MIDI. You can then go a step further, using the If Node to detect any notes lower or higher than a specific note number, and transpose from there as needed. Let me know if you need me to explain that further.

I'll take into consideration the shift control change up, is your reasoning that you find yourself panning more often than box selecting? The current scheme is based off my impression of most software.

I would _love love love_ the ability to popout RE's, really hoping that's coming in R11...
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Spaceship

16 Jul 2019

Socram wrote:
16 Jul 2019
Loque wrote:
16 Jul 2019
I have an idea to make a version of Delta specifically for CV processing, but with less and less people seemingly taking advantage of CV these days (at least it feels that way) I am not sure its worth the time.

I think this would be awesome! A cv computer is a lot different than an envelope or LFO. I think people would love it.

rorystorm

17 Jul 2019

I agree with everyone else, this is amazing work.

I have one suggestion. How possible would it be to label individual nodes? When I'm using more than a handful of iterations of the same kind of node I'm finding it hard to keep track of which one does what - eg, where I have eight transpose note nodes, how much node transposes the note by. I know I can click on the info window to show it, but being able to see labels would cut down on workflow.

Otherwise, this is great. Total piece of art.

rorystorm

17 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
16 Jul 2019
zoidkirb wrote:
15 Jul 2019

That sounds like a plausible explanation. Thanks :). Just hope it’s temporary.
I've been having similar issues with Reason crashing and taking down my whole computer. Thought it was just my machine being crap....

Socram
RE Developer

17 Jul 2019

rorystorm wrote:
17 Jul 2019

I have one suggestion. How possible would it be to label individual nodes? When I'm using more than a handful of iterations of the same kind of node I'm finding it hard to keep track of which one does what - eg, where I have eight transpose note nodes, how much node transposes the note by. I know I can click on the info window to show it, but being able to see labels would cut down on workflow.

A system for labeling is planned as a free update, however there's a caveat and reason it didn't ship with V1. SDK limitations prevent me from doing keyboard support in a Delta window, which really kills the UI/UX. Unfortunately the only workaround that comes to mind is a on screen keyboard with click to type.

I wonder how useful it will be with such a cumbersome interface, but curious if that is a limitation you could work with.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Bes
Competition Winner

17 Jul 2019

or colour coding instead of labelling ?
- Certified Reason expert

rorystorm

17 Jul 2019

Socram wrote:
17 Jul 2019
rorystorm wrote:
17 Jul 2019

A system for labeling is planned as a free update, however there's a caveat and reason it didn't ship with V1. SDK limitations prevent me from doing keyboard support in a Delta window, which really kills the UI/UX. Unfortunately the only workaround that comes to mind is a on screen keyboard with click to type.

I wonder how useful it will be with such a cumbersome interface, but curious if that is a limitation you could work with.
right, that's a shame. Another option might be - again I don't know how possible it would be? - is maybe if the node displayed the main value of what it's affecting? so like the transpose note shows the transposition amount or the CV output shows which channel it's connecting with?

• Information