Delta MIDI Computer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Socram
RE Developer

10 Jul 2019

two shoes wrote:
10 Jul 2019
This is a cool concept but I’m struggling to understand why you developed it as a player rack extension. Most of the use cases I can think of for a device like this would require the ability to freely route midi between different devices, but neither REs or VSTs can do this in Reason so it seems like the vast majority of potential applications are impossible in the Reason rack.

Given that PH has shown zero interest in finishing Reason’s broken, partial support for the VST format, or even given us any indication that they understand the importance of doing so, I’m scratching my head a bit trying to understand why you would begin this project as a player device instead of a vst, let alone spend a year on it :shock: Isn’t it crippled until/unless they finish implementing VST support which, again, I’m not holding my breath for, or what am I missing here?
Well the short answer is, I'm a Rack Extension developer, not a VST developer :lol:

Furthermore it supports CV Out with 8 channels, so it does handle routing to different devices and player stacks, but admittedly crippled by CV's lack of true polyphonic support. That being said, there's a lot of power to the flexible routing even if you remain entirely in one player stack.

I make this stuff in my spare time, and have always been a Reason user and want to support its ecosystem, so to that end I make Rack Extensions. I knew it was going to be a huge undertaking but also couldn't have anticipated it would quite take a year to get it to where it is today. That being said, I have no regrets, am extremely proud of the device, and am honestly ecstatic to see the majority of people are so excited about it.

When I make Rack Extensions I like to solve problems I face in my music production endeavors. Delta can do a lot of the things I struggled to do in the past with existing tools, and so much more. Delta is also my 5th release, I figured it was time to go big and try to put out something really special.

I don't think its fair at all to say its crippled, its a highly capable device and with each Node I add (I plan on adding many) the possibility space only continues to grow. But I understand your perspective, if I was entirely in this for the money this sort of time frame for releases wouldn't be sustainable. I do want to point out that selling plugins on the Prop Shop takes out a LOT of work that releasing a VST into the wild would take for a one man shop like Static Cling.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

jam-s

11 Jul 2019

Socram wrote:
10 Jul 2019

Well the short answer is, I'm a Rack Extension developer, not a VST developer :lol:

Furthermore it supports CV Out with 8 channels, so it does handle routing to different devices and player stacks, but admittedly crippled by CV's lack of true polyphonic support. That being said, there's a lot of power to the flexible routing even if you remain entirely in one player stack.
If you'd add a PolyCV output node then this limitation could be reduced even more.

seqoi

11 Jul 2019

two shoes wrote:
10 Jul 2019
This is a cool concept but I’m struggling to understand why you developed it as a player rack extension. Most of the use cases I can think of for a device like this would require the ability to freely route midi between different devices, but neither REs or VSTs can do this in Reason so it seems like the vast majority of potential applications are impossible in the Reason rack.

Given that PH has shown zero interest in finishing Reason’s broken, partial support for the VST format, or even given us any indication that they understand the importance of doing so, I’m scratching my head a bit trying to understand why you would begin this project as a player device instead of a vst, let alone spend a year on it :shock: Isn’t it crippled until/unless they finish implementing VST support which, again, I’m not holding my breath for, or what am I missing here?
A piss on a party... I hope developer doesn't really take your post seriously.

What you are missing here is the fact that world doesn't turn around your views and expectations.

If you find tools "crippled", "broken", or "partially supported" I am struggling to understand why you use them? Haven't yo utried and test them before you bought them?

I'm scratching my head a bit trying to understand why you would expect a developer explain his long lasting future decision or plans to you?

And why do you expect from someone to change them for you? If you are aware of better solutions why having a pain?
Last edited by seqoi on 11 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Re8et
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2019

jam-s wrote:
11 Jul 2019
Socram wrote:
10 Jul 2019

If you'd add a PolyCV output node then this limitation could be reduced even more.

No cv input as well, no way to get them? Mono inputs?
I feel with the current player workflow the lack of these will be hurting in the long run..
At least ,for me, I kinda miss the normal Rack extensions workflow with all the players, not just this creation.

More than a Vst port I would like to know if it would have been possible to make it as a normal RE also, just for curiosity...

EdGrip

11 Jul 2019

"Here's a great rack extension I made :) "

"WHY ISN'T IT A VST?? :x "

EdGrip

11 Jul 2019

How would this Player device be crippled until they improve VST support?
At worst you might say it would benefit from a Player interconnect (midi) cable.

olive6741

11 Jul 2019

Congratulations, Socram! It is really an excellent device ! It really add something fresh and new to Reason ecosystem !! Amazing !

dannyF

11 Jul 2019

Brillitaint! No seriously. This is a Brilliant concept. well done!

dannyF

11 Jul 2019

dannyF wrote:
11 Jul 2019
Brillitaint! No seriously. This is a Brilliant concept. well done!
I think you should make brief videos explaining each of the modules and how to use them for the idiots out there like me. It would also help sell the device.

Aria Salvatrice

11 Jul 2019

Once I saw a preset where the output is patched back to the input to be processed recursively, it became an instant buy for me.

Socram
RE Developer

11 Jul 2019

v1.0.1 is now live:
It fixes a bug that caused long running delays to gradually drift out of time the longer they ran, so be sure to update when you get the chance!
dannyF wrote:
11 Jul 2019
I think you should make brief videos explaining each of the modules and how to use them for the idiots out there like me. It would also help sell the device.
I do plan on releasing more instructional videos, however I want to point out that there is a very in depth manual, and the "Node Reference" section singles out each Node, explaining what it does, what each parameter controls, and even walks you through a basic patch using that Node. Hope that helps for the time being!
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2019

Is there any way for me to hide this particular thread from myself? I can’t stop reading the comments and every one of them is positive. So now, despite a concerted effort on my part to stop buying REs for a while I am at this moment loading this one in to my cart and getting ready to push the buy button. See you on the other side of the checkout Static Cling. You’ve done it again :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

boingy

11 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
11 Jul 2019
Is there any way for me to hide this particular thread from myself? I can’t stop reading the comments and every one of them is positive. So now, despite a concerted effort on my part to stop buying REs for a while I am at this moment loading this one in to my cart and getting ready to push the buy button. See you on the other side of the checkout Static Cling. You’ve done it again :).
Headlines that will never make the front page: "Mr Figg buys an RE".

:lol:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2019

boingy wrote:
11 Jul 2019
MrFigg wrote:
11 Jul 2019
Headlines that will never make the front page: "Mr Figg buys an RE".

:lol:
Haha. You’re funny. You’re a funny guy.

:).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Socram
RE Developer

11 Jul 2019

Aria Salvatrice wrote:
11 Jul 2019
Once I saw a preset where the output is patched back to the input to be processed recursively, it became an instant buy for me.
Glad to see someone notice recursive processing is possible! :twisted:

There's some silent protection against infinite recursion that it'd be nice if it was better communicated by the notification system, hoping to add that in an update.

I didn't want to draw to much attention to it as it can be a bit unstable/unpredictable to work with, but also didn't want to block it completely for those that choose to take advantage of it!
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

diminished
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2019

Socram wrote:
11 Jul 2019
Aria Salvatrice wrote:
11 Jul 2019

There's some silent protection against infinite recursion that it'd be nice if it was better communicated by the notification system, hoping to add that in an update.

I didn't want to draw to much attention to it as it can be a bit unstable/unpredictable to work with, but also didn't want to block it completely for those that choose to take advantage of it!
Could you add some nodes regarding the note length? Like hold note for time x until/unless a criteria is met? Or is that already possible? Or do things WHILE something is incoming, like do something while a key is pressed for the duration of the note?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

diminished
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2019

If that makes sense.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Socram
RE Developer

11 Jul 2019

diminished wrote:
11 Jul 2019
Socram wrote:
11 Jul 2019

Could you add some nodes regarding the note length? Like hold note for time x until/unless a criteria is met? Or is that already possible? Or do things WHILE something is incoming, like do something while a key is pressed for the duration of the note?
In Alpha/Beta there was a "Set Gate Length" node, that automatically shortened or lengthened a note depending on its parameters. Unfortunately it was a huge source of bugs, and in particular didn't play nicely with the delay node, which I thought was more important. The testers were pretty sad to see it go, as was I.

I wasn't willing to compromise the device's stability or have a weird caveat like "don't use this node with a delay node" as that seems like a pretty bad UX. Now that the device is released and seems to be stable I will definitely look at bringing it back, but I still think it could present issues.

I will also take note of your suggestion of "Do X while note is held" as well, although from an implementation stand point it probably suffers from the same problems sadly.

Thanks for the suggestions!
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

diminished
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2019

Socram wrote:
11 Jul 2019
diminished wrote:
11 Jul 2019

In Alpha/Beta there was a "Set Gate Length" node, that automatically shortened or lengthened a note depending on its parameters. Unfortunately it was a huge source of bugs, and in particular didn't play nicely with the delay node, which I thought was more important. The testers were pretty sad to see it go, as was I.

I wasn't willing to compromise the device's stability or have a weird caveat like "don't use this node with a delay node" as that seems like a pretty bad UX. Now that the device is released and seems to be stable I will definitely look at bringing it back, but I still think it could present issues.

I will also take note of your suggestion of "Do X while note is held" as well, although from an implementation stand point it probably suffers from the same problems sadly.

Thanks for the suggestions!
:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: Thanks for looking into it! I can see why testers were sad to see it go :) It was literally the first thing that came to my mind, since there isn't that much a midi note is made of.

diminished
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2019

Two more things:

Would it theoretically be possible to assign another RackExtension as a node inside Delta? Since the introduction of Players, I dream of parallel copies MIDI streams that eventually end up in the same device, each processed differently. This RE is the closest we've come so far in that regard.

And is it possible to build a real arpeggiator with it, one that arpeggiates the input notes instead of delaying notes of a generated chord? My guess is no, but please tell me I'm wrong. Real polyphonic ARP stuff would absolutely kick ass with this thing.

Faastwalker

11 Jul 2019

Socram wrote:
09 Jul 2019
Faastwalker wrote:
09 Jul 2019
This look excellent. Amazing to see what is possible with Player devices.

I'm interested in the possibility of a micro-tuning Player. Wondering if you could build something with this?
Unfortunately standard Player stack output is locked into the MIDI standard, which does not support microtonalities.

It could be achieved using CV Note out however, which the device does support. I will consider adding that functionality to that Node, could be interesting.
Awesome :thumbs_up:

mjxl

12 Jul 2019

This thing is really epic. I guess it can do almost everything we'd ever want regarding MIDI manipulation.

Here's a short clip with 5 modules, and moving a couple cables around:

I've also sent you a PM ;P

MannequinRaces

12 Jul 2019

Is a random mode for the sequential switch possible?

mjxl

12 Jul 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
12 Jul 2019
If you want to create a random sequence, you can route all outputs from the sequential switch into a chance switch :)

Socram
RE Developer

12 Jul 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
12 Jul 2019
This is basically what the Chance Switch is built to do, with the addition of "weights" for biasing the randomization! Let me know if that meets your needs
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

• Information