can you sidechain the kick with the bass using pulverisor

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
sleep1979

08 Jul 2019

HAVENT SEEN a video on this yet

Boombastix
Competition Winner

09 Jul 2019

There is more than one way to SC. Which way? You cannot get a CV out from the compressor, but you get a CV out from the "Follower" and there is plenty of CV inputs if you use Pulveriser as a SC target.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

mon

09 Jul 2019

Swap the Pulveriser as insert on the bass. Send the gate out CV of the kick to the Pulveriser Follower input. Choose a suitable filter type to imitate the ducking, filtering the unwanted frequencies. Adjust and send the follower to the filter.
You could also send the gate out of the kick to the squash of the Pulveriser but it will sound more choppy because you don't have as much control, unless you swap intermediate CV shaper.
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

selig
RE Developer

09 Jul 2019

There is no Key/Side Chain input on the Pulveriser, so you can't side chain the "traditional" way with the compressor in Pulveriser.
However, boombastix has a great workaround which is to use the envelope output on one Pulveriser (on kick) to control the level or filter of another (on bass).
Note that you'll have to invert the Follower output for ducking (Spider CV).
Also, you can use any level control instead of the second Pulverizer, for example the CV Level control of the SSL channel for the bass.
Selig Audio, LLC

sleep1979

09 Jul 2019

ok thanks guys ill try that

mjxl

09 Jul 2019

Also feed the Env Follower into CV from a combinator, then using the mod matrix from that combinator could do the trick :) !

selig
RE Developer

09 Jul 2019

I should have also added that if all you're using on the Pulveriser is the envelope follower, you may get better results using the MClass compressor instead. It will give you faster attacks (if desired) to avoid "clicking" (by missing the attack of the signal you're ducking), and responds better to different audio levels in my experience.
Selig Audio, LLC

Boombastix
Competition Winner

09 Jul 2019

selig wrote:
09 Jul 2019
I should have also added that if all you're using on the Pulveriser is the envelope follower, you may get better results using the MClass compressor instead. It will give you faster attacks (if desired) to avoid "clicking" (by missing the attack of the signal you're ducking), and responds better to different audio levels in my experience.
Yeah, and if you SC the bass to gain headroom when kick and bass hits at the same time, you really need a few milli sec of look ahead. Otherwise the initial bass attack will still hit on top of the kick and you do not gain all the headroom that you can. The RE Pump is really good for this as you can slide the env a little, -3 is my typical. You could of course duplicate a track with kicks and move them a few ticks forward.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

sleep1979

10 Jul 2019

Cheers people again thanks for the responses i see that pump on offer atm

sleep1979

10 Jul 2019

And the octopus ducker actually

selig
RE Developer

10 Jul 2019

Boombastix wrote:
09 Jul 2019
selig wrote:
09 Jul 2019
Yeah, and if you SC the bass to gain headroom when kick and bass hits at the same time, you really need a few milli sec of look ahead. Otherwise the initial bass attack will still hit on top of the kick and you do not gain all the headroom that you can. The RE Pump is really good for this as you can slide the env a little, -3 is my typical. You could of course duplicate a track with kicks and move them a few ticks forward.
^^^THIS!!!
Alternatively, the only 100% foolproof approach I know of (when the goal is to move one thing totally out of the way when another plays), is to use a crossfader. With this approach you don't have to worry about timing or fine tuning settings at all. I use the Groovy Melon crossfader (Free RE) and the MClass compressor, and set it so that when the kick hits, the crossfader goes from passing the bass (input A) to passing the kick (input B).

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... rossfader/
Selig Audio, LLC

sleep1979

10 Jul 2019

selig wrote:
10 Jul 2019
Boombastix wrote:
09 Jul 2019

^^^THIS!!!
Alternatively, the only 100% foolproof approach I know of (when the goal is to move one thing totally out of the way when another plays), is to use a crossfader. With this approach you don't have to worry about timing or fine tuning settings at all. I use the Groovy Melon crossfader (Free RE) and the MClass compressor, and set it so that when the kick hits, the crossfader goes from passing the bass (input A) to passing the kick (input B).

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... rossfader/
can you show me how you set it ? im interested in this

• Information