Do You Use Channel Strip Plugins?

No
55%
Yes
45%

Total votes: 67
reasonsuser88

06 Jul 2019

What is your reasoning behind using channel strip plugins in Reason and what are you trying to achieve? There are so many different plugins that you can use for different purposes. Why do you want the clutter as an insert in the Reason rack? I saw a video of some guy with channel strips inserted into every rack channel which I don't understand. Does it make the mixing aspect more fun for you or is there a method to your madness? Plugin Alliance just released a new console plugin by the way.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

Boombastix
Competition Winner

06 Jul 2019

They mostly try to make crappy drum sounds, sound big (mainly live drums) by adding saturation. The rest is EQ and compression, but we usually have plenty of that already. No need for channel strips, better to have a few dedicated units of each kind and start with good sounds.
Many saturation plugs to choose from too. If you on a budget check out Klanghelm.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

reasonsuser88

06 Jul 2019

Boombastix wrote:
06 Jul 2019
They mostly try to make crappy drum sounds, sound big (mainly live drums) by adding saturation. The rest is EQ and compression, but we usually have plenty of that already. No need for channel strips, better to have a few dedicated units of each kind and start with good sounds.
Many saturation plugs to choose from too. If you on a budget check out Klanghelm.
I see so many people using engineering buzz words for things that aren't even really necessary. Maybe that is part of the fun in this rabbit hole for some people and I'm being too critical. I certainly have my fair share of mixing plugins for different purposes but the channel strip hype is out of my scope.

guitfnky

06 Jul 2019

I use Scheps Omni Channel on occasion. it’s a great plugin with some nifty features, but it’s not something I find I need to use often. I just choose it when the inclination strikes. I wouldn’t say it’s any more or less useful than the traditional route of chaining multiple single-purpose plugins together—just different.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

reasonsuser88

06 Jul 2019

guitfnky wrote:
06 Jul 2019
I use Scheps Omni Channel on occasion. it’s a great plugin with some nifty features, but it’s not something I find I need to use often. I just choose it when the inclination strikes. I wouldn’t say it’s any more or less useful than the traditional route of chaining multiple single-purpose plugins together—just different.
Interesting. Maybe a matter of preference and convenience having multiple features in one interface.

I'm gonna post this here if anybody is interested and so I can watch it later when I'm off work.

Edit: video didn't really show me much. :roll:

Last edited by reasonsuser88 on 06 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.

NekujaK

06 Jul 2019

I like to use good console emulations. For me, it's more about the sound and character they impart rather than the convenience of having gate/comp/EQ in a single plugin. On some tracks, I'll even throw on a channel strip just to get the console saturation, but will perform any compression and EQ with other dedicated plugins.

In the same way, I also like to use NLS, Satson, or Britson. They're basically like channel strips but without all the effects processors - they only impart console vibe and perform analog summing, and can pleasantly elevate the overall sound of a mix.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Djstarski

06 Jul 2019

guitfnky wrote:
06 Jul 2019
I use this channel strip also . i love this plugin because it has :

3 saturation types
Low and high pass filters
2 thump choices 2db and 4db to boost up the low end
2 de-essers which can be used as dynamic eq`s also
2 flavours of EQ
3 types of compressors
1 limiter
and last but not least an insert function that you can use to add an extra module or any waves plugins .

i forgot to mention it has stereo , midside and duo processing available .

All in one plugin . i did try to tell Propellerhead about adding something like this to reasons mixer .

Ahornberg

06 Jul 2019

I only use Scheps Omni Channel on the master bus. It's easy to add some saturation, enhance the low end and apply subtle EQ and compression.

reasonsuser88

06 Jul 2019

NekujaK wrote:
06 Jul 2019
In the same way, I also like to use NLS, Satson, or Britson. They're basically like channel strips but without all the effects processors - they only impart console vibe and perform analog summing, and can pleasantly elevate the overall sound of a mix.
Ah ok yeah that would make more sense to me. Thanks.

reasonsuser88

06 Jul 2019

Djstarski wrote:
06 Jul 2019
I use this channel strip also . i love this plugin because it has...
I didn't even know the Scheps Omni Channel was packed with so many features. I've heard of it quite a bit but never bothered looking at the capabilities. I can see how it could be a wonderland for one plugin.

And yes it would be cool if Propellerhead developed the mixer more.

reasonsuser88

06 Jul 2019

Ahornberg wrote:
06 Jul 2019
I only use Scheps Omni Channel on the master bus. It's easy to add some saturation, enhance the low end and apply subtle EQ and compression.
I wonder if you'd be interested in bx_masterdesk which is actually meant for mastering. Have you tried it? It seems to get some praise but again I personally don't like the idea of a one stop shop for what I do.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... rdesk.html

Just linking for reference / wait for a sale.

retreed
Competition Winner

06 Jul 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
06 Jul 2019
I wonder if you'd be interested in bx_masterdesk which is actually meant for mastering. Have you tried it? It seems to get some praise but again I personally don't like the idea of a one stop shop for what I do.

In one of the other threads I remember you wrote that you use some other PA tools in the chain. I remember you mentioned VSM-3 and some different EQs, which are a good amount of tools to finalize and master your music.

Serious question: What would be the expectation from the bx_masterdesk that the other tools in your chain do not deliver (yet)?

reasonsuser88

06 Jul 2019

retreed wrote:
06 Jul 2019
In one of the other threads I remember you wrote that you use some other PA tools in the chain. I remember you mentioned VSM-3 and some different EQs, which are a good amount of tools to finalize and master your music.

Serious question: What would be the expectation from the bx_masterdesk that the other tools in your chain do not deliver (yet)?
I'm not interested in the bx_masterdesk at all. That was an objective recommendation to somebody who seems to want a multipurpose plugin for mastering. I personally have all the mixing and home mastering plugins I need.

retreed
Competition Winner

06 Jul 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
06 Jul 2019
retreed wrote:
06 Jul 2019

I'm not interested in the bx_masterdesk at all. That was an objective recommendation to somebody who seems to want a multipurpose plugin for mastering. I personally have all the mixing and home mastering plugins I need.
I misunderstood your previous post. Reading through the complete thread I see what you mean. I also ended up with various tools in the master chain instead of a channel strip plugin.

Djstarski

06 Jul 2019

Djstarski wrote:
06 Jul 2019
guitfnky wrote:
06 Jul 2019

3 saturation types
Low and high pass filters
2 thump choices 2db and 4db to boost up the low end
2 de-essers which can be used as dynamic eq`s also
2 flavours of EQ
3 types of compressors
1 limiter
and last but not least an insert function that you can use to add an extra module or any waves plugins .

All in one plugin . i did try to tell Propellerhead about adding something like this to reasons mixer .

My bad , i forgot the Gate and Expander .

guitfnky

06 Jul 2019

I should maybe add that when I do use the Scheps, it’s almost never on more than one or two channels in a given session. like Nekujak suggests, I use it more for the character it brings or to leverage a particular feature than because it does a bunch of stuff. in fact, I don’t think I’ve used more than two of the modules in it simultaneously on any given audio track, so far.

Ahornberg

06 Jul 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
06 Jul 2019
Ahornberg wrote:
06 Jul 2019

I haven't heard about bx_masterdesk and I think I will demo it, although it's rather pricey at $299.

reasonsuser88

06 Jul 2019

Ahornberg wrote:
06 Jul 2019
I haven't heard about bx_masterdesk and I think I will demo it, although it's rather pricey at $299.
It goes on sale periodically and they email voucher codes to members on a regular basis. Some people do the pick pack pay as you go deal too.

esselfortium

06 Jul 2019

I've been using Neutron a lot lately, if that counts as a channel strip. Instances of Neutron on different channels can talk to each other and share information, which is a great help for tracking down masking issues and dealing with them.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Loque

06 Jul 2019

Ahornberg wrote:
06 Jul 2019
Everything on Plugin-Alliance is super pricy and more or a less a joke, what they call out as a price tag. Wait a bit for a sale or a voucher and you can get it for the normal price, that means something between 30-60 bucks.
Reason12, Win10

reggie1979

06 Jul 2019

The number one reason I like using them is because the reason controls are generally smaller and not quite what I expect. Yeah, I can use the graphic for the eq but the comp/gate is really small for my poor eyes and again, I don't feel like I get as desirable a result. It's kinda redundant but seems to work best.

Channel strips I like are the Mixhub, the Slate VMR and sometimes the waves omni.

reggie1979

06 Jul 2019

BTW, VCC goes on every track when mixing. There is a video on it somewhere and the results are subtle but definitive.

Djstarski

06 Jul 2019

Djstarski wrote:
06 Jul 2019
guitfnky wrote:
06 Jul 2019

3 saturation types.
Low and high pass filters.
2 thump choices 2db and 4db to boost up the low end.
2 de-essers which can be used as dynamic eq`s also.
2 flavours of EQ with an added parametric EQ for surgical work.
3 types of compressors.
1 limiter.

guitfnky

06 Jul 2019

esselfortium wrote:
06 Jul 2019
I've been using Neutron a lot lately, if that counts as a channel strip. Instances of Neutron on different channels can talk to each other and share information, which is a great help for tracking down masking issues and dealing with them.
Neutron is awesome for that. I typically use it to identify the masking frequencies, if I’m having trouble finding them manually, then using a different RE or VST to apply the actual EQ/dynamics fix. when I get the masking indicator back under control, I pull the Neutron out. it’s capable of so much more, but for me, at its core, it’s a great little detective. 😃

reasonsuser88

06 Jul 2019

esselfortium wrote:
06 Jul 2019
Great responses. I can see how Neutron is helpful but I put that in a more advanced category like the Sonible intelligent compressor I just bought. Advanced / A.I. Mixing Tools if you will.

Anyway, I didn't think a lot of people used channel strips in Reason. I thought most people in the forum user category were freeballing in the rack using different plugins like me. This changes my perspective on these kinds plugins although I'm pretty content with my workflow and tools.

• Information