The best cheap String Libraries question

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
sleep1979

24 Jun 2019

Hi everyone
I do not much have a clue about string libraries , so i thought i would ask a question , i haven't much money lately so i am looking at three options two are rent to own
1-stringwerk
2-projectsam re
3-soundiron hyperion strings
Which is 49 dollars and you can upgrade to elements using the price you paid against it
Has anyone tried these out ?
Im trying and i like the sound of stringwerk so far but
It doesnt have solo elements
Are the other two inferior?
Thank you

Update : got session strings 1 for kontakt for ten dollars : thinking about upgrading that to session strings 2 and possibly pro in the future .
Last edited by TheWalrus on 25 Jun 2019, edited 1 time in total.

reddust

24 Jun 2019

I've only tried Stringwerk and I like them, I bought them in one of the sales and use them sometimes when I need to fill up space when working with strings. They have some very useful features like working with the velocity curve in real time or the arpeggiator. The only backside to them for me is that they only work as an ensemble, so you cannot use them if you need to make a solo violin line or accentuate a single instrument at some point because they always sound like a string ensemble.

sleep1979

24 Jun 2019

reddust wrote:
24 Jun 2019
I've only tried Stringwerk and I like them, I bought them in one of the sales and use them sometimes when I need to fill up space when working with strings. They have some very useful features like working with the velocity curve in real time or the arpeggiator. The only backside to them for me is that they only work as an ensemble, so you cannot use them if you need to make a solo violin line or accentuate a single instrument at some point because they always sound like a string ensemble.
I managed to get session strings for 10 dollars and i can upgrade for 24 dollars to get session strings 2 which seems to have more features than stringwerk

tibah

24 Jun 2019

Save your money and get something decent for Kontakt/Kontakt Player.

boingy

24 Jun 2019

It depends entirely what sort of music you will be making with them.
If the strings will be at the forefront of an orchestral piece you need realism and a thousand different nuances. If they will be in a pop track you will end up EQ'ing and reverbing them into the background and strings aimed at that genre will be easier to get good results with.

sleep1979

24 Jun 2019

tibah wrote:
24 Jun 2019
Save your money and get something decent for Kontakt/Kontakt Player.
Im probably gonna get session strings 2 and i will have paid like around 34 dollars for it with the upgrade , by the way Hyperion strings and session strings 2 are for kontakt player

sleep1979

24 Jun 2019

boingy wrote:
24 Jun 2019
It depends entirely what sort of music you will be making with them.
If the strings will be at the forefront of an orchestral piece you need realism and a thousand different nuances. If they will be in a pop track you will end up EQ'ing and reverbing them into the background and strings aimed at that genre will be easier to get good results with.
I think u could use synth strings in a pop track tbh i wanna use for both but like orchestral pop tracks i guess , nothings going to sound like the real thing i guess anyway is it , some of the more expensive libraries don't even sound real do they , what do u think about session strings 2 ? I have session strings one at the moment but could upgrade for 25 dollars

sleep1979

24 Jun 2019

reddust wrote:
24 Jun 2019
cant you isolate the different parts of the keyboards

esselfortium

24 Jun 2019

TheWalrus wrote:
24 Jun 2019
reddust wrote:
24 Jun 2019
Even when playing one note, a combined string ensemble is generally going to have multiple instrument groups playing.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

NekujaK

24 Jun 2019

I'm a big fan of Hyperion Strings. And the Micro-> to -> Elements discount bonus is a great way to invest gradually. In terms of bang for the buck, Hyperion is an amazing deal. I also like Hyperion because of its raw dry sound, which makes it very flexible in terms of processing.

Stringwerk is pretty cool, but it's a small intimate ensemble and doesn't work as well when a bigger sound is needed.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

QVprod

24 Jun 2019

esselfortium wrote:
24 Jun 2019
TheWalrus wrote:
24 Jun 2019

Even when playing one note, a combined string ensemble is generally going to have multiple instrument groups playing.
Depends on the library. Session Strings 2 has an optional smart voice split feature that separates the sections by note and will restrict you from playing more notes than naturally possible.
TheWalrus wrote:
24 Jun 2019
what do u think about session strings 2 ? I have session strings one at the moment but could upgrade for 25 dollars
It's a pretty good step up over the first version. Sounds a bit more detailed and includes velocity switching in addition to the smart voice split. also has smart chords which work similarly to the Scales and Chords player in Reason. If you want individual control of sections though, you'd have to upgrade to Session Strings Pro 2.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2019

If you want cheap, snap up the Sonivox when it is $4 sale. Don't expect it to have it all, but the recordings are good sounding for simple pop/electronic stuff. The Spiccato is very nice, and chords with solo violins too. And there is enough EQ + filters to make them fit in a mix.
Anyhow, you can layer Sonivox w Session Str, they have very different character.
I listened to the Hyperion Strings Micro ex and it sounds pretty nice.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

QVprod

25 Jun 2019

Boombastix wrote:
25 Jun 2019
If you want cheap, snap up the Sonivox when it is $4 sale. Don't expect it to have it all, but the recordings are good sounding for simple pop/electronic stuff. The Spiccato is very nice, and chords with solo violins too. And there is enough EQ + filters to make them fit in a mix.
Anyhow, you can layer Sonivox w Session Str, they have very different character.
I listened to the Hyperion Strings Micro ex and it sounds pretty nice.
Right! The Orchestral Companion strings are pretty good for a cheap library. Got it for $1 a few yeas back. Seems to be going for $59 now https://www.pluginboutique.com/products ... DPEALw_wcB

sleep1979

25 Jun 2019

NekujaK wrote:
24 Jun 2019
I'm a big fan of Hyperion Strings. And the Micro-> to -> Elements discount bonus is a great way to invest gradually. In terms of bang for the buck, Hyperion is an amazing deal. I also like Hyperion because of its raw dry sound, which makes it very flexible in terms of processing.

Stringwerk is pretty cool, but it's a small intimate ensemble and doesn't work as well when a bigger sound is needed.
I actually tried hyperion ( i downloaded a torrent to try which i sometimes do with no demo which i have deleted now as i am not going to purchase )it doesn’t sound as nice as session strings and has only two round robins but the upgrade path price to eleemts is amazing as the price you pay for that will come off elements which will have more options and more round robins , and it is a decent library and has some nice sound design options ,think i may go for session strings 2 to eventually upgrade to session strings pro when Ni have another sale

challism

25 Jun 2019

I know this isn't one of the options you mentioned, but it's a free VST option. And the samples are great! Might as well check it out. Spitfire Audio LABS viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7507248
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

sleep1979

25 Jun 2019

challism wrote:
25 Jun 2019
I know this isn't one of the options you mentioned, but it's a free VST option. And the samples are great! Might as well check it out. Spitfire Audio LABS viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7507248
Ive tries that one bud sounds a bit dull compared ted to the other thanks anyway mate 🙂

sleep1979

25 Jun 2019

I think going to upgrade to session strings 2 and session strings pro in the future cheers people

reddust

25 Jun 2019

TheWalrus wrote:
24 Jun 2019
reddust wrote:
24 Jun 2019
as esselfortium said, not with stringwerk, each key fires an ensemble and as far as I remember there is no option for soloing instruments in stringwerk. It is good for that purpose, but for the little money you are paying for session strings I would definitely go for them and see if they're enough for you. If you own a Mac computer or an iPad you also have some basic strings in garage band for free that can be played solo and in ensemble mode as well.

sleep1979

25 Jun 2019

reddust wrote:
25 Jun 2019
TheWalrus wrote:
24 Jun 2019

as esselfortium said, not with stringwerk, each key fires an ensemble and as far as I remember there is no option for soloing instruments in stringwerk. It is good for that purpose, but for the little money you are paying for session strings I would definitely go for them and see if they're enough for you. If you own a Mac computer or an iPad you also have some basic strings in garage band for free that can be played solo and in ensemble mode as well.
yeah so all in all I paid around $35 /£28 pounds or so euros for session strings 1 and upgrade to 2 at the moment ,
I tried it against stringwerk and there similar in sound I think , but I think session strings 2 has more features , anyway if native instruments have another sale I could upgrade to pro for £79 in the future which would be around £107 or something in total I think I am rubbish at maths lol , or I could wait until hyperion strings is on sale next month I think sound iron said, although there a bit synthy and only two round robins , so could be cheaper and better to save and wait for another sale to session strings pro if I need it
I would recommended the same route for people to get session strings as session strings 1 always goes for silly money and if you can get it at the same time ni have an upgrade sale( ie now ) your laughing
I got it on kvr 10 dollars

• Information