Komplete Kontrol Keyboards Now Support Reason (via MCU)!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
QVprod

20 Jun 2019

...We've also added MCU support for the S-Series Mk2, A-Series, and M32 keyboards, as well as a takeover mode when MIDI mapping third-party controllers...
Just tried it out and Transport (Start, Stop, and Record) works. Had to do a remote override for loop, but even that wasn't possible before. Can also use left knob/cursor to switch between tracks and navigate the sequencer

botnotbot

20 Jun 2019

Uh oh, now those controllers are actually on the available menu :O

M32 seems like a good option without committing too much money, but those light guides are missing and ... there is my strong suspicion that Props have some hardware in store themselves.

QVprod

20 Jun 2019

botnotbot wrote:
20 Jun 2019
there is my strong suspicion that Props have some hardware in store themselves.
Granted they have new leadership, but I have my doubts about that. Judging from the market of current midi controllers the market for deep Reason control is very slim, plus it would also need to control VSTs and other DAWs pretty well to really be marketable.

reddust

21 Jun 2019

These are really good news, I received my Komplete Kontrol last week and was already trying to learn how to bind some buttons to these functions.

Edit: Do you have a link where the whole information is listed? <-- I think I've just found it myself:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... e-updates/

botnotbot

21 Jun 2019

QVprod wrote:
20 Jun 2019
botnotbot wrote:
20 Jun 2019
there is my strong suspicion that Props have some hardware in store themselves.
Granted they have new leadership, but I have my doubts about that. Judging from the market of current midi controllers the market for deep Reason control is very slim, plus it would also need to control VSTs and other DAWs pretty well to really be marketable.
I'm not 100% sure about that. If they make a keyboard that can control REs inside a VST wrapper, similar to KK, they might be able to get further than we think. Especially so if they were to incorporate their ELK partnership to host those REs locally on the keyboard. VST support is obviously an issue that no keyboard tackles 100%.

And actually, the small market for deep Reason integration is maybe a strong motivation for them to fill the gap themselves. But of course only time will tell on this front. Definitely not a bet I'd be willing to hold my breath over.

Also, just noticed that Komplete Kontrol also now supports third party keyboards! Going to look into how that might look/operate when using Reason, as I expect the Remote Mapping layer might make things tricky. I'll post here if I make any progress.

QVprod

21 Jun 2019

botnotbot wrote:
21 Jun 2019
QVprod wrote:
20 Jun 2019

I'm not 100% sure about that. If they make a keyboard that can control REs inside a VST wrapper, similar to KK, they might be able to get further than we think. Especially so if they were to incorporate their ELK partnership to host those REs locally on the keyboard. VST support is obviously an issue that no keyboard tackles 100%.

And actually, the small market for deep Reason integration is maybe a strong motivation for them to fill the gap themselves. But of course only time will tell on this front. Definitely not a bet I'd be willing to hold my breath over.

Also, just noticed that Komplete Kontrol also now supports third party keyboards! Going to look into how that might look/operate when using Reason, as I expect the Remote Mapping layer might make things tricky. I'll post here if I make any progress.
Perhaps. Fair point that making something that could naturally control REs on ELK would be a smart idea if they intend to ever really market it. That could definitely translate to Reason compatibility as well.

As far as 3rd party controllers with KK, it's been out for a while and I haven't tried it, but the main caveat would be that The Komplete Kontrol instances don't automatically switch when you switch tracks. The KK controllers have a way of switching on board but it'd be interesting to see how that's managed via third party mapping.

fieldframe
RE Developer

12 Jul 2019

The encoders on the M32 are so good, it’s a shame there aren’t any built-in mappings. Since it’s using the Mackie protocol, maybe it would be possible to customize a codec and Remote map for it, like for the Nektar Panorama?

Speaking of which, that’s probably the biggest reason my P4 has been gathering dust: the encoders just aren’t that good. NI’s knobs really put it in stark contrast.

stp2015

12 Aug 2019

For those of you who have one of the newer native instruments devices that now have MCU (m32, machine mk3, a series, s series mk2): Does the display work with mackie mode? I.e. do you see the parameter names and values for example?

Thanks!

QVprod

12 Aug 2019

stp2015 wrote:
12 Aug 2019
For those of you who have one of the newer native instruments devices that now have MCU (m32, machine mk3, a series, s series mk2): Does the display work with mackie mode? I.e. do you see the parameter names and values for example?

Thanks!
No. Just transport works.

stp2015

12 Aug 2019

QVprod wrote:
12 Aug 2019
No. Just transport works.
Ah, that's a shame. Thanks for checking.

alelom

28 Jun 2023

QVprod wrote:
20 Jun 2019
Just tried it out and Transport (Start, Stop, and Record) works. Had to do a remote override for loop, but even that wasn't possible before. Can also use left knob/cursor to switch between tracks and navigate the sequencer
I've been trying to use my Native Instruments S49 MK2 with Reason, but pressing the REC or PLAY keys results in a sound (like if C2 was pressed).

Any tips on how to make it work?

QVprod

28 Jun 2023

alelom wrote:
28 Jun 2023
QVprod wrote:
20 Jun 2019
I've been trying to use my Native Instruments S49 MK2 with Reason, but pressing the REC or PLAY keys results in a sound (like if C2 was pressed).

Any tips on how to make it work?
I selected the A61 from the list and just used Port 1 for the input and output. I forget what the middle setting is off the roof my head, but that’s set to Komplete Kontrol DAW

• Information