"Deep" Bass that isn't actually deep

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Nocturn789

19 Jun 2019

Hay fellow Reasoneers

Somehow i am stuck creating my bassline for a sorta deep house track and i though maybe some of you guys could help me.

best first have a listen to this track:

the important bass sound here starts at 3:27

now did you notice how deep that was? pretty deep right? but actually this deepness is actually just a really nice impression of something that is not that deep as it sounds. if you have a look at a spectrum analyser, you see that the frequencies don't go really deep. this sound jas just some sort of ringmodulation or something on it. i am just not able to recreate it. do you have an idea how to archive this? also if you have a try id really like to see your solution on this

best regards
Noc
:reason: v10.4
:recycle: :re:
Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM, Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Behringer X-Touch, Nektar Impakt LX61, Livid DS1, Novation LaunchPad Mini
Pioneer DJM-900NXS2, 2x Pioneer CDJ-2000NXS2, Korg Kaoss Pad 3

mon

19 Jun 2019

It sounds to me like kind of fm bass that is strong in the low mids and wide spread in the stereo field. I would try to make something similar with the new monotone, for example, using the fm envelope and plenty of it's own chorus. Add hpf after it so you could bring it's volume up without clipping. Listen to presets as a starting point and then play with the octaves of the two oscillators, fm envelope amount, the envelope and the chorus. I am not at home to try it myself. Keep us informed how it goes :)
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

mon

19 Jun 2019

I forgot that I have Reason Compact on my iPad :) In two minutes I came with a good approximation. If you want, pm me your Facebook and I will try to send you the patch via the messenger. You will tweak it to your likings then :)

Loque

19 Jun 2019

Yea, its some kind of arts making real "deep" basses that does not sound like a old 1-stroke-diesel-engine.

First thing that i my ears were telling me it is not as deep as you might think. While everything else is quite "high", it may sound deeper. Second was, yea, cool, classic sound. Defently a bit of resonance on the filter, a quite longe decay for the filter envelope with a low amount and a very deep cutoff as root making it very relaxed. The base type might be just a saw, but there is somethng in the background, yea, maybe it is a special saw-type or maybe a fm, but it hink it is quite standrd and the sound comes mostly from the filter with very low cutofff, a lil bit of filter envelope with longer decay.
Reason12, Win10

pushedbutton

19 Jun 2019

FatAndStupid.zip
Phat Yet Simple.
(77.66 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Saturation?
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

mon

19 Jun 2019

(Updated file)
O.K. made it as close as I can for the small amount of time I have now. I think it's pretty close :)
Attachments
fmBassAproximation.zip
(126.66 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

Loque

20 Jun 2019

Ok. Here is my try. The direction with a lil bit FM was right. I noticed the Vowel type of sound, but did not realized it and FM is perfect for such type of sounds. The rest is filter and envelops doing the right thing. I used Mod Env to modulate the FM amount. Osc 1 is FMed by Osc3 and produces the main basic sound. It is a Square FM mod. Adjust the phase, pulse width, enable Osc3 on Filter1 and mix, modulate PWM of Oscilator 3 with an Envelope, filters and stuff to your taste.

I used Thor to create it. Why? Because Europa does not have f*cking inter oscillator FM.

Have fun with it.
Attachments
HouseVowelDeepBass.zip
(827 Bytes) Downloaded 69 times
Reason12, Win10

MarkTarlton

20 Jun 2019

Loque wrote:
20 Jun 2019
I used Thor to create it. Why? Because Europa does not have f*cking inter oscillator FM.
sorry to hijack this thread but I've been struggling with this, and thought you might be a good person to ask...how would you go about recreating this bass sound? thanks!

mon

20 Jun 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
20 Jun 2019
sorry to hijack this thread but I've been struggling with this, and thought you might be a good person to ask...how would you go about recreating this bass sound? thanks!

I also would like to give it a try tomorrow. Do you have Complex-1 or only stock devices ?

MarkTarlton

20 Jun 2019

mon wrote:
20 Jun 2019
MarkTarlton wrote:
20 Jun 2019

I also would like to give it a try tomorrow. Do you have Complex-1 or only stock devices ?
Thanks!! I don't have complex-1, it would be great to do it with a stock device, or something like Massive. Much appreciation :)

PhillipOrdonez

20 Jun 2019

mon wrote:
19 Jun 2019
(Updated file)
O.K. made it as close as I can for the small amount of time I have now. I think it's pretty close :)
This is the closest one here.

Nocturn789

20 Jun 2019

mon wrote:
19 Jun 2019
I forgot that I have Reason Compact on my iPad :) In two minutes I came with a good approximation. If you want, pm me your Facebook and I will try to send you the patch via the messenger. You will tweak it to your likings then :)
no facebook ;P but you can just send me an email and i will check it out ^^
:reason: v10.4
:recycle: :re:
Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM, Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Behringer X-Touch, Nektar Impakt LX61, Livid DS1, Novation LaunchPad Mini
Pioneer DJM-900NXS2, 2x Pioneer CDJ-2000NXS2, Korg Kaoss Pad 3

Loque

20 Jun 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
20 Jun 2019
Loque wrote:
20 Jun 2019

The sound changes while playing and has an LFO on the filter later in the song (if you talk about this sound). And there are different notes overlapping while playing. Its clearly a more or less basic sound, which lives mostly from the overdrive modul, amp or pedal. There is also a modulation going on in the amplitude which does not come from the overdrive (which can produce such modulations).

I tried it and created a sound, which reacts on the velocity to make it more dull or more high end. For the amps i tried a overdrive, distortion and a bit dirt. To get the right combinations of root sound, EQ, filtering and amps is a bit of a lucky punch... Add the reverb and delay of your choice. Maybe it fits. Have fun.
Attachments
VelocityOverdriven.zip
(3.45 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Reason12, Win10

MarkTarlton

20 Jun 2019

Loque wrote:
20 Jun 2019
The sound changes while playing and has an LFO on the filter later in the song (if you talk about this sound). And there are different notes overlapping while playing. Its clearly a more or less basic sound, which lives mostly from the overdrive modul, amp or pedal. There is also a modulation going on in the amplitude which does not come from the overdrive (which can produce such modulations).

I tried it and created a sound, which reacts on the velocity to make it more dull or more high end. For the amps i tried a overdrive, distortion and a bit dirt. To get the right combinations of root sound, EQ, filtering and amps is a bit of a lucky punch... Add the reverb and delay of your choice. Maybe it fits. Have fun.
Nice job Loque! I only got to play with it for a minute, it's got some of that character. Thanks so much for taking the time to work on this!! You are a scholar and a gentleman :)

Loque

20 Jun 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
20 Jun 2019
Loque wrote:
20 Jun 2019

Nice job Loque! I only got to play with it for a minute, it's got some of that character. Thanks so much for taking the time to work on this!! You are a scholar and a gentleman :)
:lol: Your welcome.
Reason12, Win10

mon

20 Jun 2019

Nocturn789 wrote:
20 Jun 2019
no facebook ;P but you can just send me an email and i will check it out ^^
I was struggling to attach the file to the forum from the iPad.
It's much friendlier to make it from the PC.
Here it is... again :)
Attachments
fmBassAproximation.zip
(126.66 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
20 Jun 2019
Loque wrote:
20 Jun 2019

The bass sound @ 1:28?

MarkTarlton

21 Jun 2019

aeox wrote:
21 Jun 2019
The bass sound @ 1:28?
yes! I also love the simplicity of the change in pitch

mon

21 Jun 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
20 Jun 2019
Thanks!! I don't have complex-1, it would be great to do it with a stock device, or something like Massive. Much appreciation :)
There is my try with only stock devices. The sound comes from Europa, the wobble from Pulsar. :)
Attachments
wobbleBass.zip
(134.63 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

MarkTarlton

21 Jun 2019

mon wrote:
21 Jun 2019
There is my try with only stock devices. The sound comes from Europa, the wobble from Pulsar. :)
Very nice!! This is really close, you made my night! Thanks a lot :)

mon

21 Jun 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
21 Jun 2019
mon wrote:
21 Jun 2019
Very nice!! This is really close, you made my night! Thanks a lot :)
Glad you like it :)
All the best

Desmondblack
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2019

Ok don't kill me but I loved it and used it for a track...

mon wrote:
19 Jun 2019
(Updated file)
Can't produce in the bedroom - people are sleeping there!

mon

25 Jun 2019

Desmondblack wrote:
25 Jun 2019
Ok don't kill me but I loved it and used it for a track...

mon wrote:
19 Jun 2019
(Updated file)
Good work!
I am very glad the patch was useful for you :)

selig
RE Developer

25 Jun 2019

Interesting example of a very deep kick making the bass sound deep. Or maybe the bass IS deep, how could you tell with that huge of a kick (and the other bass line) playing at the same time.

The primary bass line that plays throughout the track is much deeper than the accent bass line (the one I assume is being discussed). Check out 5:08 - 5:15 (similar to 3:20 area) where the kick drops out and you'll see the main bass line is strong around 75 Hz (the kick was hitting around 55 Hz). With that much initial low end, any additional parts don't need/can't have much low end themselves!

A good illustration that mixing is all about illusion and not as much about "brute strength". ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information