Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

31 May 2019

mcatalao wrote:
31 May 2019
this is the dummest thing I've read after flat hearth...😂
:lol:

It's true. Those dumb "the hearth is round" fake-news nubs!

If the hearth was round then the coal would fall off and burn the carpet!! :lol:

boingy

31 May 2019

Magnus wrote:
31 May 2019
mcatalao wrote:
31 May 2019

Man, I really hope you're not serious because this is the dummest thing I've read after flat hearth...😂
It's clearly satire! :)
The irony is that the Apple 2 was arguably the first computer to have a killer app. That is, a software application so good that you buy the hardware just to run it. And that software was... a spreadsheet. And you don't get more digital than a spreadsheet because, well, it's full of digits innit?

reggie1979

31 May 2019

For some reason I feel like watching "Sound City" right now.

scratchnsnifff

31 May 2019

boingy wrote:
22 May 2019
2chris wrote:
22 May 2019
...I hope the CEO's first task is adding a few more developers to the core Reason team...
There will be lots of nice words but the new CEO's ONLY task is to prepare the company for sale by growing the profits so the venture capitalist investors can recoup their investment plus a bit. There are two ways to grow the profits: increase sales or cut costs. The major cost for any software company is the staff salaries. Profit is everything to those folks so don't expect a sudden boost in dev headcount. :(
I think you are incorrect, they have posted c++ developer job applications on Facebook and other places :)

I think the future looks bright. Hopefully more developers means more ironing out the workflow issues and more advanced features/devices

I would assume one of the things they want to achieve is an easy way of making Re to vst. That would grow sales quite a bit right off the bat. Plus it might be encouraging for newer developers.
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

mind2069

31 May 2019

First it was new investors.

Now its the new CEO.

How hard is it to get (analogy here) : kinda like when a major company see's potential in a smaller company or startup and buys them out.

For Reason users, hard to say, we will see what's in for us.

reggie1979

31 May 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
31 May 2019
Yep, watched it. Digital sucks. Reason should be tape based.

MarkTarlton

31 May 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
31 May 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
31 May 2019

at least let us have the option to have Neve channels in place of the SSL styled mixer channels. I have always wanted the mixer to be like a 500 series board where you have options to have different mixer channels without using RE's/VST... baked into Reason.

miscend

01 Jun 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
24 May 2019
hurricane wrote:
24 May 2019
Dear Apple,

Please buy Propellerhead Software.

Thanks,

H
not a bad idea, but than I would feel for the pc users, they already feel left out with compact :)
Why do PC users feel left out with Compact? Android has nothing to do with Windows.

miscend

01 Jun 2019

hurricane wrote:
24 May 2019
Dear Apple,

Please buy Propellerhead Software.

Thanks,

H
Makes no sense they already have emagic and Logic. And what of PC users?

If in some alternate timeline future scenario Apple did buy Propellerheads, they would likely discontinue Reason, integrate the Reason devices into Logic and GarageBand. The dev team members would then be working on Logic Pro full time. Basically what Apple did when they bought Redmatica and Camel Audio, they discontinued their product lines and integrated their tech into existing products.

miscend

01 Jun 2019

Reasonable man wrote:
24 May 2019
I've seen someone use a hacked version of logic....on a pc. I dont know how it's done and i cant imagine it being a sustainable thing ....with all the constant update etc etc but it is possible to do somehow
He was probably running MacOS on a hackingtosh. That’s the only way it is currently possible other than running Logic 5 which was the last version on PC.

MarkTarlton

01 Jun 2019

miscend wrote:
01 Jun 2019
MarkTarlton wrote:
24 May 2019

not a bad idea, but than I would feel for the pc users, they already feel left out with compact :)
Why do PC users feel left out with Compact? Android has nothing to do with Windows.
yes you are right, but I was assuming people who buy iphones have macs because they go/sync with their computers.

2chris

01 Jun 2019

I hope they don’t sell. The companies that make the most sense to me for a purchase would be:

Arturia. This makes the most sense. They have great software people, they have distribution, already in Europe, and they could really have great synergy to create one combined company that does great hardware and software while having their own platform. They have no daw and I feel like they would be great together.

Loop masters. They could sell way more stuff for Reason, use it as there main platform, and they could do a cloud subscription where you get samples like splice, and then pay more for a Reason subscription where it also comes with content. Splice could actually be an option too if they actually have cash.

IK Multimedia. Non daw but has great software that doesn’t overlap too much.

Microsoft. This is my number two choice. MS has no killer creative apps. They could make it work in azure, customize for surface, and have it run on an Xbox. Sounds cool to me. Sony could be an option but they aren’t great with software, and the stuff they bought like Sonic Foundry, they destroyed, so not a fan of that option.

Native instruments. They could go ham on Reason, but there is so much overlap that it might not make sense. Where it does make sense is sounds.com integration and taking the very nice compact iOS app even further. From NI’s prospective acquiring Props gets them some amazingly creative dsp and instruments minds. Could you imagine porting reaktor into the main workings of Reason? Monster synth right there, but probably not beneficial enough to NI and I’m kind of wondering if maschine starts to turn into a daw over time.

Akai. Granted, not as good of a fit, but it could make sense.

VariableX

01 Jun 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
01 Jun 2019
miscend wrote:
01 Jun 2019

yes you are right, but I was assuming people who buy iphones have macs because they go/sync with their computers.
I know loads of people that have iphones and PCs, myself included. So much so, I assumed noone would think this. It would be interesting to see the stats.

reggie1979

01 Jun 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
31 May 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
31 May 2019

at least let us have the option to have Neve channels in place of the SSL styled mixer channels. I have always wanted the mixer to be like a 500 series board where you have options to have different mixer channels without using RE's/VST... baked into Reason.
I second it :) Come on Props, let's light this candle!

tiker01

02 Jun 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
01 Jun 2019
MarkTarlton wrote:
01 Jun 2019

I know loads of people that have iphones and PCs, myself included. So much so, I assumed noone would think this. It would be interesting to see the stats.

PC user with an iPhone 6s (because of the jack) and an old iPad Air

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

chimp_spanner

02 Jun 2019

Yup, PC user, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2. Also a MBP for work but, I literally just use it for spreadsheets and metadata. Still greatly prefer PC to work on.

I *do* like my iPhone for its simplicity, but I miss my android for the amount of stuff I could customise.

And I like my Air 2 for audio app performance, although I really only keep it because I'm roped into that eco system and figure I should make the most of the countless £££ I've spent on said-apps. If/when it dies...I probably won't replace it. It's fun, and I do do some cool stuff with sampling groovebox apps, starting ideas in Gadget, whatever. But it's really not essential for me.

scratchnsnifff

02 Jun 2019

Honestly ableton would be the entity who would get propellerhead, however I don’t think this is at all what is happening. I think we are about to see more innovation and spreading out. I don’t think they are about to fold, getting an entire new department (mobile) at PH looks good to me, as it seems like they must have the resources to branch out like that.

But at the end of the day perhaps Hoover could go from vacuums to a semi modular home music studio :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Luxuria

10 Jun 2019

Today, June 10th, is technically the first day that Niklas is CEO at Propellerhead.

" I look forward to seeing a rapid expansion into new customer groups, in new contexts and on new platform."

We've seen this expansion happen pretty clearly on the mobile platform. No mention of the existing customers :(

"By building upon their legacy and making music making even more accessible there is a lot of room for growth. My goal is to continue building on that foundation, growing the user base of both the desktop and mobile products.”

I'm not sure how much more accessible you can make it with reason being a direct download away from usability unless you go web based. Or if they are talking about pricing, we are about to see Reason go subscription based. I've noticed the mobile product focus but not really the desktop focus.

Their Facebook page posted the sale price of a reason upgrade at $99. Wondering if this is random or coincidental to a new version in the near future.

Lots of RE devices have been coming out in constant succession by the company while not as many point updates to the core program.

I can't really say that I'm not anxious to see where this goes. The next version of Reason is going to be closely observed for what direction the company is choosing to go. It will show how much money from their capital investors was targeted at the DAW, what kinds of decisions they have made, and whether or not those decisions factor in the reason community's opinion.

botnotbot

10 Jun 2019

"Not as many point updates to the core program" ??

What are you even talking about? 10.3 and then 10.4 just after it. The engine improvements were massive and about as "core" to the core program as you can get. It was also something that the Reason community was complaining *very* loudly about. They addressed it as fast as they could.

You have a quote explicitly mentioning continued focus on the desktop product. Stop it with the doomsday nonsense already!

If Reason has been your primary DAW for most of your DAW life, maybe you don't recognize that every single DAW has things that are "taking to long" to appear from the mindset of some users. Ableton _just_ gets automation curves, Studio One _just_ gets a gain knob in the mix channel (and they spent 2-3 years in constant abuse about their crappy performance issues before Studio One 3.5 arrived).

EDIT: The list goes on and on, across every DAW. Cubase could barely run on my 5K iMac due to graphics performance issues, maybe they've fixed that now. Ableton only now has VST3 support. Logic still can't record enable more than 16 channels of MIDI at a time.

Luxuria

10 Jun 2019

botnotbot wrote:
10 Jun 2019
"Not as many point updates to the core program" ??

What are you even talking about? 10.3 and then 10.4 just after it.
I've stated my opinion on these in other threads.

10.3 was a fix for what 9.5 was supposed to be. Performance was less then optimal compared to other DAW's and they knew it. Instead of owning up to it from the start, they waited a whole upgrade cycle to fix what was crippled (notice how I didn't say broken). An update solely dedicated to performance improvement isn't seen on it's own now a days. Usually it's coupled with other features or just should have been called 10.2.5.

10.4 was more fixes to 10.3 and added 2 devices that were catered for promoting reason Compact which costs additional money for full functionality on the app. Not to bash on them, but they really don't do anything Subtractor or Redrum don't already do.

I'll go a bit further back to cement my point.
10.1 was the SDK upgrade that added player support and better functions to RE's to be more competitive with VSTs. Drum sequencer was a "limited" free release (why?) so can't really consider that a V10 feature.

10.2 added adaptive grid, linked fader,solo,mute control, and multi lane editing for midi (but not audio). A total of 3 workflow improvements.

Version 10.0 added 2 very good flagship synths, 3 devices as a on the side download that were refills before, 3 older RE's that were sold in the shop now turned free and gigs of samples that added new life to the aging old factory sound bank.

Meanwhile they released RDK, Drum Sequencer, 2 versions of Umph, Complex-1, PSS, QNG, and updated the Rigs bundles totaling in over $1000 dollars of additional content sold separately.

I do believe they have cannibalized there brand and are clearly driven by the VC's who favor profit over product with my provided statements above to back my opinion.

splitpen

10 Jun 2019

I totally agree, great answer Luxuria!
Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjzYHe3D8f8
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

boingy

10 Jun 2019

Luxuria wrote:
10 Jun 2019
Today, June 10th, is technically the first day that Niklas is CEO at Propellerhead.
First day, huh? Then I demand he gets himself over here and replies to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7511341

:D

botnotbot

10 Jun 2019

Sorry, but I see zero indications of a cannibalized brand nor some sinister influence of evil VC cash in your list.

I've seen point upgrades in other DAWs that are performance updates, and fixing performance that "never should have been an issue" from a previous upgrade cycle. This in a DAW that was supposed to be limber, lean, and easy to update based on it's fresh code.

I agree that to a certain extent version 11 is a make or break moment for them, but again your doomsaying is not warranted. You want a lot more workflow updates, I don't see that happening until they can get their GUI off of the CPU. The raw facts are that each DAW has major outstanding issues of its own and plenty of doomsayers just like you proclaiming that the company responsible has lost its way due to profit motive.

Luxuria

10 Jun 2019

botnotbot wrote:
10 Jun 2019
Sorry, but I see zero indications of a cannibalized brand nor some sinister influence of evil VC cash in your list.

I've seen point upgrades in other DAWs that are performance updates, and fixing performance that "never should have been an issue" from a previous upgrade cycle. This in a DAW that was supposed to be limber, lean, and easy to update based on it's fresh code.

I agree that to a certain extent version 11 is a make or break moment for them, but again your doomsaying is not warranted. You want a lot more workflow updates, I don't see that happening until they can get their GUI off of the CPU. The raw facts are that each DAW has major outstanding issues of its own and plenty of doomsayers just like you proclaiming that the company responsible has lost its way due to profit motive.
I apologise if I came off as a doomsayer. I do not mean to project disaster to a software I enjoy using. Reason steered me away from Pro Tools which was more work then play.

I wouldn't say it's sinister cash, but it's clear that the cash went first to expanding or revamping the mobile department.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the dire need to take the burden of processing power from the GUI, more specifically the rack, and allocate it to the GPU. Reason still doesn't support multicore CPU's to the best of their abilities as well. We won't be getting an update on graphics either if they don't address going back in and fixing/revamping the core legacy code some more.

Reason 11 is going to be big news one way or another.

QVprod

10 Jun 2019

Luxuria wrote:
10 Jun 2019
I wouldn't say it's sinister cash, but it's clear that the cash went first to expanding or revamping the mobile department.
Only because there seems to be this fear that Props are shifting focus from desktop to mobile. If you've ever used any of the Propellerhead apps, they're quite literally advertisements for the desktop version of Reason. They could've made Reason Compact similar to Korg gadget, but they didn't. Instead, it's something that requires exporting to Reason in order to finish a song; to which they cleverly included a free Reason lite version for new accounts. It's marketing.

• Information