giving up alcohol

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
modecca

24 May 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
23 May 2019
modecca wrote:
23 May 2019
I am confident that in time I will see a PL who can have the occasional drink, without being a addicted to the substance.
I will stubbornly repeat: alcohol is not the enemy, it is the persons curiosity dying in relation to, doable self control that is the enemy.
Please allow the record to reflect it has become apparent to me that your brain is wired to need different stimuli in your life more so than others. This would of course be helpful in a quest for moderation. My girlfriend is like that and it's one of the reasons I found her to be fascinating.

I have found the biggest challenge with ADHD (no clinical diagnosis) is commitment to anything. What is great today, is dull tomorrow and I'm off searching for something else. Being scattered is where I feel right at home and fortunately I have done a decent job with many years of trial and error, becoming more functional. When there is no conditioned self control whilst in the constant tornado 🌪️, you literally don't have enough focus to do the most basic of tasks.
🔗💥

Zac

24 May 2019

Sorry modekarma but i think you're wrong in a lot of ways. I understand talking about self control when it comes to substances that are only or mainly psychologically addictive but booze and particularly opiates are physically addictive. And once that physical dependence has been reached once it soon goes back there with the next relapse.

Some people have the strength or fear to only do smack and crack within their means rather than robbing etc... i know a guy who does. He spends his benefits within days on them and is a ghost for over a week til he can again.

But that isn't self control or moderation. He's as fucked as those robbing to keep going their two weeks. He just suffers rather than risking prison or worse.

MarkTarlton

24 May 2019

Zac wrote:
24 May 2019
Sorry modekarma but i think you're wrong in a lot of ways. I understand talking about self control when it comes to substances that are only or mainly psychologically addictive but booze and particularly opiates are physically addictive. And once that physical dependence has been reached once it soon goes back there with the next relapse.

Some people have the strength or fear to only do smack and crack within their means rather than robbing etc... i know a guy who does. He spends his benefits within days on them and is a ghost for over a week til he can again.

But that isn't self control or moderation. He's as fucked as those robbing to keep going their two weeks. He just suffers rather than risking prison or worse.
yes! I completely agree with this. I volunteer at a homeless shelter and have a partner that works in this field, it has nothing to with self control...it's way way way deeper than that.

modecca

24 May 2019

Zac wrote:
24 May 2019

Even though he is being forced to limit the amount he uses due to his lack of money, he is still using it way too much (he is an addict and his withdrawals are more severe due to the excessive amount).
'Proper' moderation with those types of substances might be once every 2-3 months (occasional use does not mean there are no unwanted side effects!). But he is certainly not a candidate for even that dosage schedule and will be lucky if he ever gets the chance to quit the substance for good. At this time this guy needs to stop and for him to instantly try to exercise moderation in relation to his drug of choice will not work. He would need to be clean off the stuff for at least 1-2 years roughly speaking and have developed/demonstrated strong self control for that duration to have any shot with using it again, in a 'sensible' manner.

I knew a factory machine repair guy from a place I used to work at, who could function 'fine' using it every day. Still he was using it way too much from the point of view of the horrible things that stuff does to your body.

The main reason I don't do the occasional experiment with those particular substances (I did a little bit in high school), is that I have no clue what I am really getting out there on the street and getting in trouble with the law sucks.
🔗💥

reasonsuser88

24 May 2019

Physical addiction would be a definite sign of no return to moderation. One problem with this discussion is thinking in broad strokes about a substance with such a wide spectrum of use. There is a negative stigma attached to excessive use, which there should be, but it could be a matter of lifestyle like eating fast food. I think of habitual users like the corporate executive drinking too many martinis at the weekend parties, a parent at home drinking too many glasses of wine or the monkey-brained sports fan with too much beer when the season is on. Those are the people I relate to more than full blown addicts or people who claim to exercise self-control.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

reggie1979

24 May 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
24 May 2019
Physical addiction would be a definite sign of no return to moderation. One problem with this discussion is thinking in broad strokes about a substance with such a wide spectrum of use. There is a negative stigma attached to excessive use, which there should be, but it could be a matter of lifestyle like eating fast food. I think of habitual users like the corporate executive drinking too many martinis at the weekend parties, a parent at home drinking too many glasses of wine or the monkey-brained sports fan with too much beer when the season is on. Those are the people I relate to more than full blown addicts or people who claim to exercise self-control.
When you have a physical addiction (like me) there is no moderation. And besides, you just jones for more.

I drink from 5-6ish to pass out :lol: So I usually wake up in my chair and then drag myself to bed. Funny, I'm almost NEVER hungover. Very rarely.

reggie1979

01 Jun 2019

Oh my........this needs to be the final night. I'm mentally prepared, but physically, I dunno..............

mashers

02 Jun 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
01 Jun 2019
Oh my........this needs to be the final night. I'm mentally prepared, but physically, I dunno..............
Have you got anybody who could help you with the physical side-effects? Having someone to care for you while you're going through withdrawal might make the mental effects more bearable.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
01 Jun 2019
What do you mean “the final night”? One last drink before stopping? If you’re going to stop then you’ve already had your last drink. If you’re mentally prepared then that’s all you need.
When this thread started a lot of empathy, compassion and good advice was given. I like to think it helped Sleep through a hard time.
You’ve written here a number of times you want to stop. What are you doing about it? That’s a serious question...I’m not having a go at you. I understand the difficulties. Believe me when I say that.
Maybe “one last drink before stopping” was not what you meant but whatever you did mean you say you’re ready now. If you’re being honest and not just repeating the addict mantra then go all in and do it. Good luck with it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

reggie1979

02 Jun 2019

mashers wrote:
02 Jun 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
01 Jun 2019
Have you got anybody who could help you with the physical side-effects? Having someone to care for you while you're going through withdrawal might make the mental effects more bearable.
Not really. I could call a treatment facility but there is a liquor store on every corner, talking me out of it won't work. Maybe I need a stay...........

reggie1979

02 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
02 Jun 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
01 Jun 2019
What do you mean “the final night”? One last drink before stopping? If you’re going to stop then you’ve already had your last drink. If you’re mentally prepared then that’s all you need.
When this thread started a lot of empathy, compassion and good advice was given. I like to think it helped Sleep through a hard time.
You’ve written here a number of times you want to stop. What are you doing about it? That’s a serious question...I’m not having a go at you. I understand the difficulties. Believe me when I say that.
Maybe “one last drink before stopping” was not what you meant but whatever you did mean you say you’re ready now. If you’re being honest and not just repeating the addict mantra then go all in and do it. Good luck with it.
Valid, but it's just not that easy. The cravings an addict has are physical. My body is crying out for it even though I don't drink in the day. I dunno, I feel the need to post about it.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2019

Absolutely. I KNOW it’s “just not that easy”. And absolutely. Writing about it gets it out of your system. And I did think long and hard before commenting here. I just wanted to point out the fact (in case you aren’t aware of it) that you’re writing that you want to stop and that you’re ready but at the same time saying that you’re not. I’ve heard it done and done it a million times myself. Cliche, but you’re the one that needs to do it. I’m pretty sure you’ll get support and encouragement in this forum but you need to put the effort in yourself if you’re going to get any results. I guess you already know that but it doesn’t damage you hearing it from someone else.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

reggie1979

02 Jun 2019

What is so frustrating is that when I wake up, I have zero desire for booze. As the day goes on it starts to eat at me and then usually around this time of day I get sick (like a cold) and then start my "woes me" bullshit and the excuses crop in. "See, I'm not any better w/o it" "Well I feel like shit when I don't drink" etc etc.

mashers

02 Jun 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
02 Jun 2019
Not really. I could call a treatment facility but there is a liquor store on every corner, talking me out of it won't work. Maybe I need a stay...........
Well, for argument’s sake, what’s the worst that could happen if you did?

reggie1979

02 Jun 2019

Here's yet another angle. I quit smoking, why can't I quit this? It's roughly the same. Makes no sense to me.

reggie1979

02 Jun 2019

mashers wrote:
02 Jun 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
02 Jun 2019
Your absolute right. Not to make excuses but I'm in the middle of a serious back problem (lot's of treatment going on) and nerve issue with left hand (or so the doctor thinks)

But yeah, what's a phone call going to hurt. My poor insurance company though :lol:

reasonsuser88

02 Jun 2019

Quitting alcohol by yourself can be dangerous if you're at a point of physical dependence. I have a hard liquor drinking friend who went through some violent and mental episodes. He eventually had to get professional help. I talked to him a few days ago and he's getting injections of Naltrexone after a diagnosis of Pancreatitis. It seems you can still drink on this drug but the cravings will be reduced if you still need to drink.

That said, you are the one who needs to take action. I woke up one morning and decided I was done. Fortunately, I just had some night sweats, anxiety and junk food cravings after beer withdrawal. Day 69.

diminished
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
02 Jun 2019
Day 69.
Attaboy! Now aim for 420 days.
One needs serious life goals like that to stay motivated.
Edit: 1337 days after that.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

mashers

02 Jun 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
02 Jun 2019
mashers wrote:
02 Jun 2019

Your absolute right. Not to make excuses but I'm in the middle of a serious back problem (lot's of treatment going on) and nerve issue with left hand (or so the doctor thinks)

But yeah, what's a phone call going to hurt. My poor insurance company though :lol:
The help is there to be used. So why not dip your toe in? It could be what you need to get out.

reasonsuser88

02 Jun 2019

diminished wrote:
02 Jun 2019
Attaboy! Now aim for 420 days.
One needs serious life goals like that to stay motivated.
Edit: 1337 days after that.
Yikes! There is a music festival in my city coming up in September that I must go to and I'm dreading having to face the temptation to drink. I have to go because it is the most legitimate event happening that pertains to my preferences. Maybe I can dance around with a cup of ice but I hope they don't charge me ten bucks for it.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2019

mashers wrote:
02 Jun 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
02 Jun 2019

The help is there to be used. So why not dip your toe in? It could be what you need to get out.
Ffs. As above...the help us there. Just fucking ring. Do it now if it’s open. Are you serious or are you not? If you’re not then there’s no point in deluding yourself. As you said previously you’re just going to find excuses to keep drinking. I don’t mean to sound harsh but there’s nothing worse, in my opinion, than listening to the same fucking line over and over again if the addict themself has no intention of actually trying.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

reggie1979

03 Jun 2019

Well, I was just voicing my frustrations with trying to quit drinking. I don't want it to feel like mom and dad is trying to tell me what to do. I'll seek elsewhere, from here on out.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Jun 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
03 Jun 2019
Well, I was just voicing my frustrations with trying to quit drinking. I don't want it to feel like mom and dad is trying to tell me what to do. I'll seek elsewhere, from here on out.
That’s a good idea. That’s what I said. And my advice is that you do it now directly seeing as you’re stating that you’re ready. This is a forum. You won’t get help here but you will get support and empathy. As far as “mom and dad” telling you what to do...well, I don’t really know what to say. Don’t be a victim.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

reggie1979

03 Jun 2019

Foe added!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
03 Jun 2019
Foe added!
Sure. That’ll help.
Now you can see me as being your enemy and avoid having to focus on yourself.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information