EP Challenge - Pick your own theme

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
aeox
Competition Winner

30 May 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
28 May 2019
I'll avoid posting too many snippets/songs before my full EP is finished. But since I've already posted a part of this track before I'll post the full track. The song is pretty much done, but I'm pretty sure there will be some final tweaking here and there once I've written all my other songs. But for now, this will do.

This track is no indication of what the rest of the EP will sound like btw. As it looks right now the EP will most likely be a complete mess of different styles.
Insane! Can't wait to hear the EP.

"This track is no indication of what the rest of the EP will sound like btw" Still though, everything you produce sounds like TritoneAddiction.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 May 2019

aeox wrote:
30 May 2019
Insane! Can't wait to hear the EP.

"This track is no indication of what the rest of the EP will sound like btw" Still though, everything you produce sounds like TritoneAddiction.
Thanks

Haha I guess that's true.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2019

Anyone willing to share any updates on how things are going with your projects? :)

I feel like I'll be finished with my little Crapre project pretty soon. I have 4 tracks that I've decided to keep. It looks like the EP will clock in at about 8 to 9 minutes, but that's ok. I said that the tracks could be anything from 30 seconds to 5 minutes and I'm gonna stick to that.
I could probably make the project longer but I don't want to break my rule of "having fun during the process of music making", therefor I want to keep things fresh and not let the project become a chore.
I've already thought about ideas for another EP :)
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 01 Jun 2019, edited 1 time in total.

retreed
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Jun 2019
Anyone willing to share any updates on how things are going with your projects? :)
I hope it is okay to still join this. :)

For my EP I pretend drum and bass did have different roots so the plan is to make it some 80s synth drum and bass.
I want to dive deeper into Nostromo and would allow myself two instances and another instance of the new bass synth Monotone introduced in 10.4 as both fit the topic per track. (So the EP goes with three synth instances, some drums and unlimited effects).

Theme: Monotone Nostromo² 80s Synth Drum & Bass.

aeox wrote:
21 May 2019
For now, here is my EP.
I really like Goldwave! :thumbs_up:

Do you sometimes just stop with a song when there is no further ideas floating around for that moment even if it's "only" two minutes into the track?
It feels like this track could last a good while longer with the great ideas introduced. I enjoyed having it on repeat for a while.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2019

retreed wrote:
01 Jun 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Jun 2019

For my EP I pretend drum and bass did have different roots so the plan is to make it some 80s synth drum and bass.
I want to dive deeper into Nostromo and would allow myself two instances and another instance of the new bass synth Monotone introduced in 10.4 as both fit the topic per track. (So the EP goes with three synth instances, some drums and unlimited effects).

Absolutely. You are more than welcome to join our little EP making club. :D
I expect to keep this thread going until it naturally dies off. Hopefully even more people join and we can keep this thread going for a long time.

I just added you to the participant list.

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2019

retreed wrote:
01 Jun 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Jun 2019

aeox wrote:
21 May 2019
For now, here is my EP.
I really like Goldwave! :thumbs_up:

Do you sometimes just stop with a song when there is no further ideas floating around for that moment even if it's "only" two minutes into the track?
It feels like this track could last a good while longer with the great ideas introduced. I enjoyed having it on repeat for a while.

Yes exactly. I'm quite compulsive and impatient with my music. For better or worse, particularly with Snap.. I listen to that track now and just shake my head :D

reasonsuser88

01 Jun 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Jun 2019
Anyone willing to share any updates on how things are going with your projects?
I've been productive alright but not in the direction I wanted to go. I think I am more prone to mood swings because I work overnight and don't get normal sleep. Abstaining from alcohol as a lifestyle decision has also revealed some lurking exasperation. That said, my music is coming out more aggressive than I wanted it to be and also all over the place. I'm having a drum machine delivered on Monday and I don't know how that will affect my flow. I think an album is a lot more manageable than an EP of a few focused tracks but that's not really an ideal proposal. In the end, the process of making music is what's important, and I'll just keep my fingers crossed in the rabbit hole. :rabbit:
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2019

Ok so I'm done with my Crapre Project. It's super short, 4 tracks, just 8 minutes and 47 seconds in total and it's a total mess genre wise. The only thing that's somewhat holding these tracks together is the constant hiss sound from Crapre. :lol:
But despite these things I'm pretty pleased with the result.

I did write more material but didn't like those bits as much. So rather then forcing myself to write mote material which would have broken my rule of "The process of making the EP needs to be fun" I decided to leave it while I still enjoyed it.

diminished
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2019

Alright, I finished a track! Not the "free" one I was working on before, though.
I took all my shiny new toys for a ride and made this playful rnb/triphop/chill piece of music:

Now I can sleep again, since all those crazy expensive REs were put to use :D The following devices had their debut:
RP Master Magic
RPVerb2
Devastator2
Decimort2
RX950
Beatmaker DOPE
Virtual Bassist Royal
Umpf Retro
Maia
Project SAM (upgraded the Rig bundle)
Echobode
and sounds from two Soundcells Refills

I also used free stuff, just in case I can't finish all my challenges:
Tyrell N6
TAL Reverb 4
TDR Labs Proximity
TAL Chorus LX

Also stock devices and Kratos2 in my master chain but that's standard.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Jun 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
08 Jun 2019
Ok so I'm done with my Crapre Project. It's super short, 4 tracks, just 8 minutes and 47 seconds in total and it's a total mess genre wise. The only thing that's somewhat holding these tracks together is the constant hiss sound from Crapre. :lol:

I did write more material but didn't like those bits as much. So rather then forcing myself to write mote material which would have broken my rule of "The process of making the EP needs to be fun" I decided to leave it while I still enjoyed it.

I always give you the same compliments so I'll spare them. You already know I'm gonna say!

Standouts for me were Mumindalen and Wild Och Crazy!

More challenges like this!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2019

diminished wrote:
13 Jun 2019
Alright, I finished a track! Not the "free" one I was working on before, though.
I took all my shiny new toys for a ride and made this playful rnb/triphop/chill piece of music:

Now I can sleep again, since all those crazy expensive REs were put to use :D The following devices had their debut:
RP Master Magic
RPVerb2
Devastator2
Decimort2
RX950
Beatmaker DOPE
Virtual Bassist Royal
Umpf Retro
Maia
Project SAM (upgraded the Rig bundle)
Echobode
and sounds from two Soundcells Refills

I also used free stuff, just in case I can't finish all my challenges:
Tyrell N6
TAL Reverb 4
TDR Labs Proximity
TAL Chorus LX

Also stock devices and Kratos2 in my master chain but that's standard.
I know how you feel. I often do the same with REs I haven't used enough. That's a lot of unused REs though. Glad you put them to work.
Track sounds good.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2019

aeox wrote:
16 Jun 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
08 Jun 2019

I always give you the same compliments so I'll spare them. You already know I'm gonna say!

Standouts for me were Mumindalen and Wild Och Crazy!

More challenges like this!
Thanks man. Appreciate it.
I think i'm gonna commit to a new project. I have a bunch of EP ideas to choose from, so I'm just gonna have to decide what direction I'm going next.

diminished
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2019

Most of them I got during may madness, so they weren't unused for long. I'm glad I found the time to make a track rather sooner than later. Thanks for the compliment!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2019

So I listened to Prodigys debut record "Experience" recently and got inspired. This record doesn't necessarily have their best tracks musically, but what it does have is a good fun factor and an "anything goes" attitude that I really enjoy. So my next project will be inspired by this record.

These will be my guidelines/words for this project:

Inspiration from early Prodigy (mainly the "Experience" album)
Fun and playful
Energetic
Lots of beats

Just like my last project the process of making this EP needs to be fun. That doesn't mean the music needs to be "happy" though. Hopefully having fun during the process will translate into the music itself.
Whenever the project will start to feel like a chore, I'll either take a break from it or quickly finish what material I've got and end the project. So I could end up with everything from 2 to 8 tracks. We'll see.

Working title: High Energy Experience

retreed
Competition Winner

24 Jun 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Jun 2019
So I listened to Prodigys debut record "Experience" recently and got inspired. This record doesn't necessarily have their best tracks musically, but what it does have is a good fun factor and an "anything goes" attitude that I really enjoy. So my next project will be inspired by this record.

These will be my guidelines/words for this project:

Inspiration from early Prodigy (mainly the "Experience" album)
Fun and playful
Energetic
Lots of beats

Just like my last project the process of making this EP needs to be fun. That doesn't mean the music needs to be "happy" though. Hopefully having fun during the process will translate into the music itself.
Whenever the project will start to feel like a chore, I'll either take a break from it or quickly finish what material I've got and end the project. So I could end up with everything from 2 to 8 tracks. We'll see.

Working title: High Energy Experience
Hey TA,
may I suggest a tiny change in your first post? I would suggest to give people faster access to the EP by linking it to the post directly so people who are only interested in the music can directly click it.

My suggestion would look like this:
aeox - Retro influenced EP
TritoneAddiction - CRAPRE Project - Every sound must be processed with CrapRE 2 in some way. The process of making the EP needs to be fun. That's way more important than the actual end result.

Feel free to copy the syntax from this post. :)

retreed
Competition Winner

24 Jun 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
08 Jun 2019

I had a chance to listen to your EP today. It's great you had such a versatile outcome. Mumindalen is my favorite!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2019

retreed wrote:
24 Jun 2019
I had a chance to listen to your EP today. It's great you had such a versatile outcome. Mumindalen is my favorite!
Thanks for listening.
Good suggestion with the links too. I'll look into that.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2019

So this will be part of my next project, "High Energy Experience" I just decided on.

This is still a work in progress, but the core of the track is pretty much there. Now it's more about fine tuning.

retreed
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2019

It's done. :o :lol:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2019

retreed wrote:
14 Jul 2019
It's done. :o :lol:

Congrats on finishing your EP. Great job man. Sounds good. The last track is my personal favorite.
If you find the thread useful for motivation, feel free to make another EP. That's what I'm doing, working on EP number 2. :) Sometimes a simple thread/community like this can help spark some extra creativity.

retreed
Competition Winner

16 Jul 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
15 Jul 2019
Congrats on finishing your EP. Great job man. Sounds good. The last track is my personal favorite.
If you find the thread useful for motivation, feel free to make another EP. That's what I'm doing, working on EP number 2. :) Sometimes a simple thread/community like this can help spark some extra creativity.
Thanks for listening to the EP. It was really fun to dive into Nostromo, which is such a versatile synth to tinker around with. I made a good amount of patches during this session. Monotone almost automatically sounds like a good bass sound. It is very good for that it does. Feel free to put this EP on the "Finished projects" as I do not plan to touch it anymore.

I will come back for sure for another limitation theme in the future.

Good luck on your second EP! Looking forward to listening to the results. :thumbs_up:

r1381

17 Jul 2019

i'd like to work on an EP for this forum, too!

title: Live from Hell

theme: mix of death metal, rock, noise, electronic, and piano faked to sound like live concert recordings

tracks: shooting for about 5 "songs"

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2019

r1381 wrote:
17 Jul 2019
i'd like to work on an EP for this forum, too!

title: Live from Hell

theme: mix of death metal, rock, noise, electronic, and piano faked to sound like live concert recordings

tracks: shooting for about 5 "songs"
Welcome. I just added you to the list :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2019

Ok so after some thinking, but mostly "feeling" I've decided to throw in the towel with my EP project.
I already stated in my "rules" that if the project starts feeling like a chore I have the option to quit, so I will.
Not what I planned, but for me at this moment it's very important to have my creative time feeling inspiring and not like I'm forcing things.

At least I got one completed track out of it. And I'm pretty happy with it so I guess that's something.

Here's the track from my (apparently one track) project "High Energy Experience".

diminished
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2019

I did it! Before the deadline, yay!

After finishing the first song with all the new tools that have never gotten used before, I was in a rut. The Reason-Lite-only song I first made didn't interest me anymore, then I went to a little vacation, came back sick and stayed it for more than another two weeks.
When the current heat wave hit my corner of the planet two days ago, I dreamt of simpler times back in the days: Acid DJ Pro. Effortlessly putting loops together and calling it a day... if only... hold up! Why wouldn't I be able to do this in Reason? Spoiler alert, I did exactly that and it was a lot of fun. Again I proved my theory, that the less you care, the more fun the journey is.

So, I'm happy to announce that I've finished my challenge with only one exception, which is the self-sampled hardware n stuff. I'll save that for another time.
I'll listen to all of your achievements later, but for now I'm just happy that I can put a checkmark behind that topic.

The following song was made using only loops and samples from the FSB, two free loops from Loopcloud, one Subtractor bassline and the red legacy delay & reverb. Everything chopped up and rearranged in the sequencer :)

Oh, and I give myself bonus points for dabbling in a genre I've never touched before: (Chill?)House!
Just the right kind of music to survive these hot days.

• Information