Sequences from Robotic Bean - 1.3 is out!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ksniod

28 May 2019

artotaku wrote:
28 May 2019
mjxl wrote:
28 May 2019
Yep, bought it too. Awesome player.
Maybe i'll pick up Euclidian still during the next 2 days.. Hmmz :P
I can recommend it. These days I digged a little bit deeper into this device and found that you can also use it - beside its main purpose for euclidean rhythms - as a normal step sequencer by setting "forced" steps which are unaffected by the euclidean algorithm. That´s pretty cool. Compared to PSQ-1684 it´s not that sophisticated and flexible but easier to access because of its graphical representation. And then stack it easily together with "Sequences" player as a note generator and there you go :-)
While we're at it, what are the strengths and differences between Euclidean Rhythm Sequencer and Euclid Rythme Generator ?

Boombastix
Competition Winner

28 May 2019

artotaku wrote:
28 May 2019
I can recommend it. These days I digged a little bit deeper into this device and found that you can also use it - beside its main purpose for euclidean rhythms - as a normal step sequencer by setting "forced" steps which are unaffected by the euclidean algorithm. That´s pretty cool. Compared to PSQ-1684 it´s not that sophisticated and flexible but easier to access because of its graphical representation. And then stack it easily together with "Sequences" player as a note generator and there you go :-)
Alternatively, if you crank the Euclidean density dial to max, then you can just click on the mutes to make any pattern you want. And if you want happy accidents you use both mute and force buttons and start off-setting the pattern.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

mjxl

28 May 2019

ksniod wrote:
28 May 2019
artotaku wrote:
28 May 2019

While we're at it, what are the strengths and differences between Euclidean Rhythm Sequencer and Euclid Rythme Generator ?
The player one for ease of use, and the "regular" would be easier for cv'ing i guess :o

I've tried the player, but no idea if either one of them misses anything from the other?

buddard
RE Developer

28 May 2019

ksniod wrote:
28 May 2019
artotaku wrote:
28 May 2019

- Euclid Rhythm Generator is "always on", while Euclidean is triggered by key presses (although you can make it "hold" so you only need to press the key once)
- Euclidean is polyphonic and velocity sensitive (since it's driven via the keyboard)
- Euclid Rhythm Generator has multiple outputs (4 variations for each pattern), plus tons of modulation inputs, clock input, mute input etc
- Euclid Rhythm Generator can do most of the stuff that Euclidean can do if you're not afraid to get your hands dirty with combinators and CV connections, while Euclidean is more convenient if you want to be more "keyboard driven"

So in short, Euclid Rhythm Generator is great for modular experimentation, while Euclidean is more playable and user friendly. :puf_smile:

bxbrkrz

28 May 2019

CV Player Tap is Euclid Rhythm Generator's best friend.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Spaceship

29 May 2019

buddard wrote:
28 May 2019

One of those two is already being worked upon. 😀
If it’s probability, a CV output for the random number generator would be useful. Sorry if I’m being greedy, I just love this sequencer!

ksniod

29 May 2019

Thanks for the explanations on both those devices, going to trial them « seriously »

PhillipOrdonez

29 May 2019

Spaceship wrote:
29 May 2019
buddard wrote:
28 May 2019

If it’s probability, a CV output for the random number generator would be useful. Sorry if I’m being greedy, I just love this sequencer!
Please make it so!

reddust

29 May 2019

I finally decided to get Sequences as well, tried it a little bit more yesterday and really like the possibility to trigger the player with my keyboard in real time and at any desired point inside my song both using retrigger on and off...
ljekio wrote:
28 May 2019
And for your second question answer there:
viewtopic.php?p=444970#p444970
I've tried this yesterday but could only manage to use the keyboard to switch from pattern 1 to 2, then 2 to 3, and so on... couldn't manage to assign single keys to each of the CV switches in order to choose a concrete pattern for each key, but I think that relies to my keyboard configuration as I only could assign the remote override mapping.

buddard
RE Developer

29 May 2019

Spaceship wrote:
29 May 2019
buddard wrote:
28 May 2019

Actually, the feature we're working on right now is per-step note lengths, with a nice twist!

But probability will probably (hah) also appear at some point. We're just debating whether to make it a "straight" probability lane with independent probabilities for each step, or whether to make it more like the trigger conditions lane we did on Step Note Recorder. Simplicity vs flexibility.

ljekio

29 May 2019

reddust wrote:
29 May 2019

I've tried this yesterday but could only manage to use the keyboard to switch from pattern 1 to 2, then 2 to 3, and so on... couldn't manage to assign single keys to each of the CV switches in order to choose a concrete pattern for each key, but I think that relies to my keyboard configuration as I only could assign the remote override mapping.
At that example key notes for switch is white keys from C - 0 to B - 0 (for 7 patterns switch on the fly).
You can set for it another octaves (with shift working zone of main instrument).

antic604

29 May 2019

buddard wrote:
29 May 2019
Actually, the feature we're working on right now is per-step note lengths, with a nice twist!

But probability will probably (hah) also appear at some point. We're just debating whether to make it a "straight" probability lane with independent probabilities for each step, or whether to make it more like the trigger conditions lane we did on Step Note Recorder. Simplicity vs flexibility.
Is it fair to expect full feature parity with Step Note Recorder 2, in particular I mean addition of per-note gate width, repeats and conditional triggering; as well as 2 CV curve slots? As a Player I obviously don't expect the same backside control, but the above would make it a ultimate step-sequencer for more traditional, non-generative music!

Biolumin3sc3nt

29 May 2019

buddard wrote:
29 May 2019
Spaceship wrote:
29 May 2019

Awesome! look forward to seeing what it morphs into. As for now i have at least 12 different tracks that are using sequences. More like diddles, but whatevs. Keep on Keepin on!

future-bit

30 May 2019

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

buddard
RE Developer

30 May 2019

future-bit wrote:
30 May 2019
Hi!

I received this error a second time.
Sequences.1.0.2

What i was doing

1. I turned on the record.
2. I recorded the notes from the track.
3. I did not stop playback. I started to reduce the number of steps from 32 to 16. The error appeared. RE did not work. It was necessary to close and open the Reason /
That's unfortunate! I haven't been able to reproduce this problem myself yet, I'll try and sort it out the details with you via PM!

Meanwhile, here's a tip for everyone when you experience a device that crashes:

There's usually no need to restart Reason when this happens, you just delete the device and then Undo (Ctrl-Z). The device will be recreated with the state that it had before.
In some rare cases, it's the device state itself that causes it to crash, but this is extremely rare in my experience.

Soeno

30 May 2019

great tip with the Undo!

future-bit

30 May 2019

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

buddard
RE Developer

30 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
29 May 2019
buddard wrote:
29 May 2019

Is it fair to expect full feature parity with Step Note Recorder 2, in particular I mean addition of per-note gate width, repeats and conditional triggering; as well as 2 CV curve slots? As a Player I obviously don't expect the same backside control, but the above would make it a ultimate step-sequencer for more traditional, non-generative music!
I wouldn't expect full parity, but yes, we will probably port over all the good stuff that we think makes sense in Sequences, although some features might be implemented in new ways. I think that most of the things you mentioned above will appear in one form or another at some point. Vague enough? ;)

As I mentioned earlier, per-step note length scaling is basically done, we're just tweaking the details now.

antic604

30 May 2019

buddard wrote:
30 May 2019
I wouldn't expect full parity, but yes, we will probably port over all the good stuff that we think makes sense in Sequences, although some features might be implemented in new ways. I think that most of the things you mentioned above will appear in one form or another at some point. Vague enough? ;)

As I mentioned earlier, per-step note length scaling is basically done, we're just tweaking the details now.
Thanks! :thumbs_up:

So I guess I'll grab Euclidean for now & see how things are developing with Sequences vs. SNR2. I can always get it come Black Friday or perhaps on Deal of The Week.

ksniod

30 May 2019

ksniod wrote:
29 May 2019
Thanks for the explanations on both those devices, going to trial them « seriously »
So... I started by getting Elementary :D
EDIT : and Euclid, then. After buying Nostromo, RND, Shape LFO Editor, Sequences, Complex-1 and QNG, I guess I'm done with this May Madness edition

Arjanders

30 May 2019

OK, bit late on the introduction price party.

Just download the trial, but I get an device error when I record and play some different things on top of eachother.

It can't play the sequence anymore, I have to delete it.

I did like it, but now I am really in doubt. If something is bad in your flow, it is an error..

Arjanders

30 May 2019

buddard wrote:
30 May 2019
future-bit wrote:
30 May 2019
Hi!

I received this error a second time.
Sequences.1.0.2

What i was doing

1. I turned on the record.
2. I recorded the notes from the track.
3. I did not stop playback. I started to reduce the number of steps from 32 to 16. The error appeared. RE did not work. It was necessary to close and open the Reason /
That's unfortunate! I haven't been able to reproduce this problem myself yet, I'll try and sort it out the details with you via PM!

Meanwhile, here's a tip for everyone when you experience a device that crashes:

There's usually no need to restart Reason when this happens, you just delete the device and then Undo (Ctrl-Z). The device will be recreated with the state that it had before.
In some rare cases, it's the device state itself that causes it to crash, but this is extremely rare in my experience.
I got this several times already. You can replicate this also by hit record and then play some different chords and let sequence run so it will add those chords to the existing sequence. Sooner or later there will be an error.

PhillipOrdonez

30 May 2019

buddard wrote:
29 May 2019
Spaceship wrote:
29 May 2019

I vote for flexibility on this! Trig conditions!!! trig conditions!!! 😀

seqoi

01 Jun 2019

buddard wrote:
22 May 2019
Sequences 1.0.2 is out! We wanted to get a few more fixes and minor tweaks in before we start digging into 1.1. :D
  • Note lengths are now sample accurate (but sometimes automatically shortened to avoid unwanted legatos)
  • Undo Step now shortens notes that would extend past the recording head
Does it mean that some of my sequences will sound different after i update? Should i bounce/midi export them before updating?

Thanks

buddard
RE Developer

01 Jun 2019

seqoi wrote:
01 Jun 2019
buddard wrote:
22 May 2019
Sequences 1.0.2 is out! We wanted to get a few more fixes and minor tweaks in before we start digging into 1.1. :D
  • Note lengths are now sample accurate (but sometimes automatically shortened to avoid unwanted legatos)
  • Undo Step now shortens notes that would extend past the recording head
Does it mean that some of my sequences will sound different after i update? Should i bounce/midi export them before updating?

Thanks
I don't think the difference is that noticeable, it's just less jitter now, i e the note lengths are more consistent.
Before, the average length was a bit shorter (because we would round down the note off message to the beginning of the current batch). If you want them shorter overall in the new version you can lower the Length knob slightly.
If some of your sequences rely heavily on the old inconsistent behaviour, you could bounce them just in case.

• Information