Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
fieldframe
RE Developer

24 May 2019

If Verdane is grooming Propellerhead for a sale, I hope it's to a hardware company. Hardware is the one thing Propellerhead could never quite get right, and PH would be a smart acquisition for a company that excels at hardware but needs software leadership.

Personally, I think Focusrite would be a great match.

EnochLight

24 May 2019

fieldframe wrote:
24 May 2019
I'd be OK with Focusrite or RME. In fact, I'm partial to RME because their drivers are legendary. They're also based out of Germany, which might be a better match for a Swedish team to work remotely from (though many of the Props speak English, so maybe Focusrite might be better)?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

24 May 2019

EnochLight wrote:
24 May 2019
fieldframe wrote:
24 May 2019
I'd be OK with Focusrite or RME. In fact, I'm partial to RME because their drivers are legendary. They're also based out of Germany, which might be a better match for a Swedish team to work remotely from (though many of the Props speak English, so maybe Focusrite might be better)?
Not to entertain too much speculation about this, but my choice of course would be Propellerhead not selling. But, there are companies I wouldn't mind in the picture.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about Focusrite. They handled the case with the VRM Box very poorly. So that's what I think when I think about them and software. I now have a piece of hardware that only functions as a paperweight or USB headphone amp. And I have no need to use it for the latter. They no longer support or update the VRM software. So, a piece of hardware, which seemed to mostly only serve as a dongle in which to use their VRM software (you couldn't use the software separately), doesn't do what I bought it for :(

A company like Korg who is innovative, who does already have Korg Gadget though, fits within the culture and would be a fun company managing Reason...maybe. But their customer support is pretty unresponsive even about just two Rack Extensions (would like to see Mono/Poly updated and more plugins as REs). And again, they have Gadget.

I've always imagined that a DAW from iZotope would be the alternative DAW that would really grab my attention. But I see a DAW from iZotope being something unlike Reason... So maybe not them.

There's a boatload of companies I feel would fit the culture and manage Reason well (in terms of vision), but they are all smaller than Propellerhead, so it's not actually realistic to suggest, such as: Sonic Charge, Teenage Engineering, Rob Papen. I feel like those companies at least would give Reason and its culture the love it deserves, but they would of course run into additional challenges that Propellerhead now can certainly handle better just because of sizes. Maybe UJAM! Now I'm just throwing out names of companies I like :)

EnochLight

24 May 2019

Ooooooooooo... now Teenage Engineering would be awesome (but I agree - they're pretty small and unlikely to be able to afford buying out Verdane). I was just thinking of a proper audio interface company so they could work more like PreSonus (which has enough diversified hardware products to complement their software nicely).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Jackjackdaw

24 May 2019

Just look at the state of Geist 2 since Roli bought out Fxpansion. A great piece of software reduced to abandonware because Roli only care about making synths that work with their spongy keyboards. If Props sell out then whoever buys it will only care about their own agenda.

Jackjackdaw

24 May 2019

EnochLight wrote:
24 May 2019
Ooooooooooo... now Teenage Engineering would be awesome (but I agree - they're pretty small and unlikely to be able to afford buying out Verdane). I was just thinking of a proper audio interface company so they could work more like PreSonus (which has enough diversified hardware products to complement their software nicely).
Teenage Engineering couldn't even afford to buy themselves out. It's a real shoestring company! Propellerhead is a Goliath in comparison.

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 May 2019

Dear Apple,

Please buy Propellerhead Software.

Thanks,

H
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

fieldframe
RE Developer

24 May 2019

joeyluck wrote:
24 May 2019
EnochLight wrote:
24 May 2019

Not to entertain too much speculation about this, but my choice of course would be Propellerhead not selling. But, there are companies I wouldn't mind in the picture.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about Focusrite. They handled the case with the VRM Box very poorly. So that's what I think when I think about them and software. I now have a piece of hardware that only functions as a paperweight or USB headphone amp. And I have no need to use it for the latter. They no longer support or update the VRM software. So, a piece of hardware, which seemed to mostly only serve as a dongle in which to use their VRM software (you couldn't use the software separately), doesn't do what I bought it for :(

A company like Korg who is innovative, who does already have Korg Gadget though, fits within the culture and would be a fun company managing Reason...maybe. But their customer support is pretty unresponsive even about just two Rack Extensions (would like to see Mono/Poly updated and more plugins as REs). And again, they have Gadget.

I've always imagined that a DAW from iZotope would be the alternative DAW that would really grab my attention. But I see a DAW from iZotope being something unlike Reason... So maybe not them.

There's a boatload of companies I feel would fit the culture and manage Reason well (in terms of vision), but they are all smaller than Propellerhead, so it's not actually realistic to suggest, such as: Sonic Charge, Teenage Engineering, Rob Papen. I feel like those companies at least would give Reason and its culture the love it deserves, but they would of course run into additional challenges that Propellerhead now can certainly handle better just because of sizes. Maybe UJAM! Now I'm just throwing out names of companies I like :)
Korg is an interesting one, though they aren't nearly as lacking on the software side (and VRM shows Focusrite can't do software well by itself). The main reason I suggested Focusrite is because Focusrite owns Novation - Imagine the makers of Circuit working with Propellerhead to build a Reason controller that's as integrated as Ableton Push or NI Maschine. Or imagine a Nova synth that uses ELK to run Rack Extensions!
Last edited by fieldframe on 24 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

MarkTarlton

24 May 2019

hurricane wrote:
24 May 2019
Dear Apple,

Thanks,

H
not a bad idea, but than I would feel for the pc users, they already feel left out with compact :)

djadalaide

24 May 2019

hurricane wrote:
24 May 2019
Dear Apple,

Thanks,

H
Please, Microsoft, beat them to it

Loque

24 May 2019

hurricane wrote:
24 May 2019
Dear Apple,

Thanks,

H
Uuhhh...than it would be full of bugs and security holes and uber expensive...Just think of the 1400 bucks they want for a phone which cannot be used as a phone...And that closed eco system...uhhh...no thanks man.
Reason12, Win10

MarkTarlton

24 May 2019

Loque wrote:
24 May 2019
hurricane wrote:
24 May 2019
Dear Apple,

Thanks,

H
Uuhhh...than it would be full of bugs and security holes and uber expensive...Just think of the 1400 bucks they want for a phone which cannot be used as a phone...And that closed eco system...uhhh...no thanks man.
look at logic, it has way more tools and is much cheaper.

Loque

24 May 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
24 May 2019
Loque wrote:
24 May 2019

I do not need more tools. Maybe the sequencer can be improved, thats all i need atm. I think Apple or not Apple is a matter of believing or not, so its a kind of religion. I am a not believer, sorry.
Reason12, Win10

MarkTarlton

24 May 2019

Loque wrote:
24 May 2019
MarkTarlton wrote:
24 May 2019

I do not need more tools. Maybe the sequencer can be improved, thats all i need atm. I think Apple or not Apple is a matter of believing or not, so its a kind of religion. I am a not believer, sorry.
well you have to use it first to make that decision, it's not based on faith ;)

Loque

24 May 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
24 May 2019
Loque wrote:
24 May 2019

well you have to use it first to make that decision, it's not based on faith ;)
Already did. No iTunes and all that stuff for me, no Apple. Point made. ;)
Reason12, Win10

djadalaide

24 May 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
24 May 2019
Loque wrote:
24 May 2019

Have you ever tried recording and editing automation? No. Get some help.

groggy1

24 May 2019

Oh lordy. I really don't want them to be bought. I used to use Cake Sonar, and that didn't go so well.

esselfortium

24 May 2019

If Apple bought Propellerhead, Reason would cease to exist within a couple years, with the only remnant of it being Europa VST as the "new" synth in Logic Pro 14. No thanks.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

VariableX

24 May 2019

fieldframe wrote:
24 May 2019
If Verdane is grooming Propellerhead for a sale, I hope it's to a hardware company. Hardware is the one thing Propellerhead could never quite get right, and PH would be a smart acquisition for a company that excels at hardware but needs software leadership.

I remember when Mackie bought Tracktion, it didnt work out well.

VariableX

24 May 2019

esselfortium wrote:
24 May 2019
If Apple bought Propellerhead, Reason would cease to exist within a couple years, with the only remnant of it being Europa VST as the "new" synth in Logic Pro 14. No thanks.
Agreed although I love my apple phone, please please let it be Windows and not Apple if it has to be one of them.

RustyShakleforde

24 May 2019

I'd be gutted if they were sold. I really really really hope that doesn't happen. I have no great love for brands or businesses, but I have a real soft spot for propellerheads an for that reason have supported them by updating every version. Like literally I can't think of a single business or brand besides them that I feel invested or even interested in to the degree I am with them. I really hope they aren't sold, but I'm worried

jappe

24 May 2019

fieldframe wrote:
24 May 2019

Maybe Clavia.
One of the Propellerhead co-founders came from there.
I'd like to see them make Reason integrated hardware..
https://www.nordkeyboards.com

Zerosity

24 May 2019

hurricane wrote:
24 May 2019
Dear Apple,

Thanks,

H
I can't say No enough to this post.

Reasonable man

24 May 2019

I've seen someone use a hacked version of logic....on a pc. I dont know how it's done and i cant imagine it being a sustainable thing ....with all the constant update etc etc but it is possible to do somehow

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 May 2019

Apple bought Emagic and Logic is better than ever, with the original emagic team still working on it. It's the best all-around DAW, and definitely the DAW with the best value, in my opinion.
Camel Audio lives on. Alchemy 2 is a powerhouse synth. Camel Phat and Camel Space have been refreshed. More stuff coming from them soon.
Redmatica is a different story, although Autosampler is in MainStage and works amazingly well for sampling your synths.

And if you love Reason so much you'd get a Mac.
Unless you don't love Reason that much.
Which, if you don't, you might as well jump on that Cubase deal now.

https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/celebrate/
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

• Information