Reason 10.4 Update

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
BRIGGS

23 May 2019

Undistraction wrote:
23 May 2019
Awesome. More wasted development resource.
r11s

EnochLight

23 May 2019

ksailer wrote:
23 May 2019
Two nice new devices - quite a lot of control through combinator / automation tracks. And for Free!

Why RYTMIK lets you automate the end of a sample but not the start - looks like a random decision.

Also, showing people a couple of samples in the RE folder content and saying "yah look you can have these but not your own" - meh. Far away from the original Reason concept of providing the devices and let people use their full potential. After all these years that we can use our own samples in Redrum and others, now we get cool devices that are intentionally crippled.
Not being able to sample is pretty much my only criticism for Rytmik - but not for Reason proper (desktop). I want to be able to sample on the fly via iOS on my mobile device, and then transfer that to Reason proper. The fact that it's a rompler only is clearly by design, though. Maybe an IAP option will be introduced at some point? Who knows. One can hope.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

tallguy

23 May 2019

Monotone sounds fantastic. A simple, impossible-to-make-it--sound-bad synth. My favourite kind.

Loque

23 May 2019

tallguy wrote:
23 May 2019
impossible-to-make-it--sound-bad synth
Yes, that nailed it :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

chaosroyale

23 May 2019

I'm not a compact user, but for the full version why do these devices need to exist? Subtractor with filter overdrive would have been nice. Redrum with HPF/LPF and modern envelopes would be nice.

What about Kong...does anyone remember that Reason had the beginnings of a proper drum designer? It's still stuck in 2010 with none of the envelope/filter/sample edit features that these underpowered toy instruments have gotten lately.

"Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing." -Ron Swanson

BRIGGS

23 May 2019

Loque wrote:
23 May 2019
tallguy wrote:
23 May 2019
impossible-to-make-it--sound-bad synth
Yes, I would have to concur!
r11s

diminished
Competition Winner

23 May 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
23 May 2019
Loque wrote:
23 May 2019

Yes, I would have to concur!
Count me in. Absolutely solid, no shenanigans, round and juicy. Nice filter, good drive and noise gen. Perfect minimal bass pecific effect section. Compressor probably built in? I'm seriously impressed!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

gullum

23 May 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
23 May 2019
I'm not a compact user, but for the full version why do these devices need to exist?
compact is meant to be chared with full version so having the same devices makes the song sound the same ?

Fraxis

23 May 2019

Has anyone found the updated manual? The one on the Props site says ‘10.3 (10.4)’ but nothing from 10.4 in that version when you download it.

scratchnsnifff

23 May 2019

While this is awesome stuff, I don’t like how I’ll have to dish out another 10$ possibly 20$.

To even edit anything on the new devices ok have to pay more?
I would have figured it would be 10$ for the ability to edit any presets within Reason compact. Can anyone confirm that it’s 10$ per device? Or is it 10$ for both?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

eusti

23 May 2019

scratchnsnifff wrote:
23 May 2019
While this is awesome stuff, I don’t like how I’ll have to dish out another 10$ possibly 20$.

To even edit anything on the new devices ok have to pay more?
I would have figured it would be 10$ for the ability to edit any presets within Reason compact. Can anyone confirm that it’s 10$ per device? Or is it 10$ for both?
$ 10 each of the new devices. Forgot how much it was to be able to edit Europa...

D.

CaptainBlack

23 May 2019

I'm not going to complain about new stuff. These are pretty handy basic devices intended to integrate with Reason Compact so you can use it as a sketchpad and then export it to the full Reason. That's probably all I might use them for because I have so many options already. In fact, I'm suffering option paralysis and a simple cut-down version of Reason might get me out of it.

Still not convinced about Compact but I'm keeping an eye on it. I have an iPad clamped over my bed and it would be great to get things down any time I wake up suddenly inspired.

Luxuria

23 May 2019

I'm happy for everyone that is enjoying the update.

I find it worrisome that a lot aren't addressing the negatives. 1. The business model is one of nickel and dimeing. Like people have said previously: it would have been nicer to pay 10 bucks upfront and get it all. 10 dollars for each device on mobile is steep man. 10.4 isn't a "free" update. It's an update with a pay wall to get total access for desktop and mobile integration. You cheer and support it and they will only do it more. 2. I thought we were all on the same page that we don't need any more instrument devices? The desktop version still needs bug fixes for VST's that crash or that problem where snapshots of VST's aren't showing up. Workflow improvements??? Hell even 1 improvement would have been reassuring to us who are getting worried they will never come. 3. Still no Android support. For a company as big as PHeads to only offer it's mobile products on one platform without signing an exclusiveness deal with Apple is embarrassing.

I'm sorry, but I feel PHeads takes its users as suckers who will buy anything they release without questioning what the user is getting out of the exchange.

That promo video was clearly oriented for the younger demographic. I apologise if I'm using the wrong DAW but i got the impression Reason was slightly more middle ground when it came to fun toy vs professional audio software. No stopping those who don't mind the new direction Reason is taking but I find its within my best interest to oppose this new direction if they value me as a customer.

Zac

23 May 2019

Luxuria wrote:
23 May 2019

I find it worrisome that a lot aren't addressing the negatives. 1. The business model is one of nickel and dimeing. Like people have said previously: it would have been nicer to pay 10 bucks upfront and get it all. 10 dollars for each device on mobile is steep man. 10.4 isn't a "free" update. It's an update with a pay wall to get total access for desktop and mobile integration. You cheer and support it and they will only do it more. 2. I thought we were all on the same page that we don't need any more instrument devices? The desktop version still needs bug fixes for VST's that crash or that problem where snapshots of VST's aren't showing up. Workflow improvements??? Hell even 1 improvement would have been reassuring to us who are getting worried they will never come. 3. Still no Android support. For a company as big as PHeads to only offer it's mobile products on one platform without signing an exclusiveness deal with Apple is embarrassing.

I'm sorry, but I feel PHeads takes its users as suckers who will buy anything they release without questioning what the user is getting out of the exchange.

That promo video was clearly oriented for the younger demographic. I apologise if I'm using the wrong DAW but i got the impression Reason was slightly more middle ground when it came to fun toy vs professional audio software. No stopping those who don't mind the new direction Reason is taking but I find its within my best interest to oppose this new direction if they value me as a customer.
I see this very quick (since 10.3) update much more innocently. We know now the props have different teams doing different things. They're bound to come up with things that can be updated at different times to each other.

The way I see this one is that the Compact team had these devices ready to go and so the VST team added a few fixes that were ready. Who knows, there might even be a 10.5 with some of the work flow improvements you're after when they're ready? I think we've done pretty well out of 10 already though. I for one am glad to see any new devices added to Reason's core. The bass synth is a little gem.

joeyluck

23 May 2019

Luxuria wrote:
23 May 2019

Hold on a sec.

So I can agree in general on price, regarding that I'm not likely to buy the in-app purchases for $9.99 each, but I have no need to! I can use them in Reason Compact, I just can't edit the patches and save patches there. But I'm a Reason user, so I can export to Reason and tweak the patch there...replace the patch there...hell I can replace the instrument altogether! Which is perfectly fine for me, since Reason Compact is a sketch pad. Oh and everybody who creates an account with Reason Compact is a Reason user, because they get a Reason Lite license! Are you aware of any of this? It seems like you're not.

Korg Gadget charges $9.99 - $14.99 for gadgets in the mobile app and that's for the privilege to use those additional in-app purchases AT ALL. The mobile Korg Gadget app is also only available for iOS. How many big music software companies are releasing app for Android? Hearing people go on about use of company resources and then get on Propellerhead, who you know is smaller than Korg and all those others, about Android support when you know damn well the majority of the "big company" industry isn't there, just sounds like you are trying hard to find something to complain about. Android support might come for all we know. I wouldn't mind it since I have an Android phone, but sounds like a support headache to me with the countless makes and models of phones and numerous reiterations and repackaging of Android OS, etc.

So to reiterate and go over the facts:
  • There is no upfront cost to use Reason Compact.
  • You can use the instruments (Europa, Monotone, and Rytmik) and their built-in patches without paying anything.
  • You can make changes to the sound via the assigned macro knobs found in the first panel, and save those changes with your song.
  • And even then, it's still not restricting your curiosity (forcing you to pay), because you can tweak patches in each instrument's demo mode to see what it's all about (you just can't save those changes).
  • There is no cost to export from Compact to Reason.
  • Once you export to Reason, you can edit your patches there, replace them, or replace the entire instrument.
  • You get Reason Lite with it, so if you don't have Reason already, you can open it on desktop without paying a dime.

boingy

24 May 2019

Seems strange to throw these two new instruments into what is essentially a bug-fix release. They could have held them back for R11, they could have given them free to anyone who buys the mobile version or they could have put them in the shop as low-priced REs, thus driving sales a little.

It makes me wonder if they are trying to tempt those customers (like me) who have not upgraded to R10. (I sometimes wonder what percentage of Reason users are still on old versions.)

joeyluck

24 May 2019

boingy wrote:
24 May 2019
Seems strange to throw these two new instruments into what is essentially a bug-fix release. They could have held them back for R11, they could have given them free to anyone who buys the mobile version or they could have put them in the shop as low-priced REs, thus driving sales a little.

It makes me wonder if they are trying to tempt those customers (like me) who have not upgraded to R10. (I sometimes wonder what percentage of Reason users are still on old versions.)
No because they're not trying to nickel and dime everybody like some are falsely accusing them of doing. It would make little sense for the devices to not be baked into Reason because it's all about simplicity and having things just work. Export to Reason should be a slick feature, as it is. Imagine exporting to Reason and then having to go through another content download and purchase/registration of additional devices... That's not inviting at all, especially if you want people who don't own Reason to try Reason Lite.

And if they were to wait until Reason 11, then more people would be forced to upgrade to be able to take advantage of the export to Reason feature, and that would not be good. They did the absolute right thing here and I wouldn't read into it at all. It makes sense. :puf_smile:

boingy

24 May 2019

joeyluck wrote:
24 May 2019
boingy wrote:
24 May 2019

No because they're not trying to nickel and dime everybody like some are falsely accusing them of doing. It would make little sense for the devices to not be baked into Reason because it's all about simplicity and having things just work. Export to Reason should be a slick feature, as it is. Imagine exporting to Reason and then having to go through another content download and purchase/registration of additional devices... That's not inviting at all, especially if you want people who don't own Reason to try Reason Lite.

And if they were to wait until Reason 11, then more people would be forced to upgrade to be able to take advantage of the export to Reason feature, and that would not be good. They did the absolute right thing here and I wouldn't read into it at all. It makes sense. :puf_smile:
I just think it's an odd business decision. That's exactly the sort of thing they should be looking to make a little money on.

antic604

24 May 2019

Fraxis wrote:
23 May 2019
Has anyone found the updated manual? The one on the Props site says ‘10.3 (10.4)’ but nothing from 10.4 in that version when you download it.
And what are exactly the problems you're having operating Monotone or Rytmik? :?

anDre

24 May 2019

I really miss PWM on Monotone.

BRIGGS

24 May 2019

r11s

splitpen

24 May 2019

Problems with bcr2000 aint fixed, hopefully with next update
Latest track: https://youtu.be/R5hIQQzJUOs?si=wJCMb2xD5mj1znXx
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

VariableX

24 May 2019

well my tuppence worth is this:

1. I will use compact now as I can do beats and bass. Europa on it own was pointless for me, now the app seems like something i might use whilst horizontal on the sofa 😀

2. The free stuff in Reason is ace 😌

3. I won't pay $14 (aus) per device on mobile, no way, sorry props. I would pay $14 for all three (maybe)

4. The mobile app has loads of potential, i can see lots more things getting added to the rack like a DrOcto and a tab button to flip it round 👍🏼

I like the direction of this mobile app now and the way it integrates with the DAW, im quite excited 😀

Jackjackdaw

24 May 2019

I can get cynical about marketing and crappy micro transaction mobile apps all day, but the free Reason Lite I got when trying out Compact vers 1 lead me to buy full R10 and then hundreds of $ of Re.s from the shop. Mostly because the app was so shitty and RLite so good.

friday

24 May 2019

Monotone is a super nice extension! I like the simplicity and the good sounding. Reminds me to the Moog Minitaur.

• Information